• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Nintendo Pinball Games

HockeyBird

Villager
Pronouns
He/Him
I was listening to an episode of the Retronauts where the topic was pinball videogames. It was a laxed conversation of them just talking about various pinball games. It got me thinking about Pokemon Pinball which my friend owned. I remember sitting in his garage during one summer just taking turns playing the game. Then the podcast started talking about Kirby pinball and that's when I remembered that there are actually a good amount of Nintendo pinball games. There was an extended period of time where if a Nintendo IP had a ball of some type, then they would make a pinball spinoff on their handhelds.

Of course there's NES Pinball
220px-P_NES.PNG

Surprisingly, this does have a mini where you play as Mario playing a breakout clone of sorts.

Kirby Pinball Land
1200px-KPL_Box.png

I remember seeing this one on store shelves a ton. Never played it but I heard good things.

Pokemon Pinball
61A4SwXLUfL.jpg

Like I said, my friend had this one. This one is a no brainer. You knock around a Pokeball to catch Pokemon.

Mario Pinball Land
Mario_Pinball_Land.jpg

I think this one is more known for its graphics which actually used 3D polygons.

Pokemon Pinball Ruby and Saphire
6137ANK59ZL.jpg

Never actually played this one so someone has to tell me how it was.

Metroid Prime Pinball
s-l1600.jpg

Another kind of no brainer. Samus can turn into a ball, let's make a pinball game out of it! Also the original source of the remix of the Metroid theme used in Smash Bros. Brawl. No narration at the beginning though so no joining the fight this time!

Odama
Odama.jpg

One of the Gamecube swan songs. Part pinball, part strategy, party yelling into a mic that also came with one of the Mario Party games.

There might be more but those are the ones I can remember. So yeah, Nintendo has quite the collection of pinball games in its catalogue. Thankfully, many of them are on Game Boy systems so we'll hopefully be seeing them on the Switch soon.

Yeah there are more games. DSi got a Greek mythology themed pinball game: Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon, published by Nintendo and made by Fuse, who also made Mario and Metroid pinball games. It was very good:

pinball-pulse-the-ancients-beckon-cover.cover_300x.jpg

Mario Pinball Land is one of those games where I don't especially care for the game itself, but the soundtrack has some bangers. Like so.

Pokemon Pinball Ruby&Sapphire was always more my jam back in the day. But also, when it comes to pinball on Nintendo systems, I gotta give a shout-out to HAL's Revenge of the Gator.

I have good memories of both the original Pokémon Pinball as well as the Ruby and Sapphire sequel. I spent a lot of time with both games as a kid. But that’s really it as far as Nintendo pinball games go. I’d like to play Mario Pinball Land, but I haven’t heard great things about that one. The Kirby and Metroid pinball games I know almost nothing about.

How has there not been a zelda pinball yet, they have a pinball gane of all of nintendos top series but not zelda

I really want to check Odama out, it seems like a ton of goofy fun.

Pokemon and Metroid Pinball were the bomb, though. Pokemon Pinball in particular was such a fun take, letting you “catch” Pokemon in their specific boards.

NES Pinball holds up really damn well. When they added it to NSO, I ended up spending the entire night playing it.

I've never heard a good thing about Mario Pinball Land though.

How come Nintendo hasn’t made one in so long? It would be really cool to see a new one in maybe the Splatoon IP.
basically none of these titles were made by internal nintendo studios outside of the original pinball (and even that was a co-production with HAL)

nintendo just doesn't have any teams to make these and they've stopped working with the ones who had

I still maintain Metroid Prime Pinball should have been have been included as a bonus in the new release of Metroid Prime. A true missed opportunity, there.

Beyond that. yeah, Odama's the good stuff. We should get that again.
Probably lead into it through first having an Odama-themed segment in a Captain Rainbow or something. Really get people interested in that tactical pinball goodness.

I wish they would make more Nintendo themed pinball games, bust out Metroid Prime pinball 2 alongside the release of Prime 4, have a Zelda pinball game with a Goron as the ball, or just have it be like the Pinball FX series and have different Nintendo themed pinball boards, the possibilities!

I loved the Pokemon Pinball games to death.

basically none of these titles were made by internal nintendo studios outside of the original pinball (and even that was a co-production with HAL)

nintendo just doesn't have any teams to make these and they've stopped working with the ones who had
Gosh, there's gotta be some indies who'd like to fill that void. There's plenty of Nintendo IP that could be awesome pinball games.

Never playing the sequel to Pokemon Pinball is one of my greatest regrets.

Pokémon Pinball is one of my favorite games of all time. Absolute banger of a soundtrack, and it stands out from other pinball games by having an enticing concrete goal beyond just high scores.

It never got a rerelease anywhere since it came out, I really hope they put it on NSO this time.

Do any pinball games on the Switch use the portrait screen orientation?

I’d love to see a new Nintendo themed pinball game anyway. That would be awesome.

Do any pinball games on the Switch use the portrait screen orientation?

I think both Demon's Tilt and the upcoming Xenotilt allow for this, as I've seen them used for physical machine versions.

Nintendo should totally make a Pinball Arcade-style collection of tables representing their IP. I would spend an ungodly amount on well made Nintendo tables. (Just hire Farsight to do it!)

((Luigi’s Mansion could make an amazing table. Picturing a glass projection like the Creature from Black Lagoon! ❤️))

DSi got a Greek mythology themed pinball game: Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon, published by Nintendo and made by Fuse, who also made Mario and Metroid pinball games.
they were also meant to do a Pokemon Pinball successor on DS prior to this.

the project was dropped and replaced with a fitness application (Active Health with Carol Vorderman) that included a activity meter and was only released in Europe, of all things.
the Gigaleak notably had a test application for said accessory, and a debug build for Pinball Pulse that i couldn't ever get to work. (i'm pretty sure it required dev hardware to run.)
unknown.png

Back
Top Bottom