• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Nintendo of Japan reportedly HATED the replica Pokedex toys created by Tiger Electronics in the late 90s, were worried it would harm Game Boy sales.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
The process was very difficult from several aspects. While we were awarded the Pokémon license, we didn’t get much help at all from Nintendo of Japan (NOJ). In fact, they didn’t like us very much and didn’t see our value in expanding the Pokémon brand into the toy market. They felt [that] our toy product line would take away sales from the Game Boy game which wasn’t the case at all.

I focused on the Pokédex because it looked cool and it was in every episode. I finally did get a basic data sheet on each of the original 151 Pokémon so that helped a lot [with] bio information. We were strictly forbidden to have any type of graphic game function because of the Game Boy game. I wanted to at least have an image of each Pokémon just to give it some fun visuals as opposed to just a complete text-based toy. So, I had my art team come up with a simple 2 frame animation of each of the 151 Pokemon characters. That turned out to be a big mistake and almost killed the entire toy. When NOJ saw the screen animations they freaked out and said we couldn’t do that and it was too close to the Game Boy game. We disagreed and said the toy needed it [but] NOJ would not let us move forward. We did have Nintendo of America (NOA) and the licensing group 4Kids Production on our side but it was Nintendo of Japan that [got] the final call on everything and final approval. For almost 6 months the project was put on hold. I was so frustrated I didn’t even want to work on it anymore and wanted to get back to working on Star Wars toys.
the full interview is interesting enough on it's own, even containing images of a few unreleased variants. but this bit of info is astounding.

this isn't really a Tetris situation, where it was a direct (albeit modified a bit in terms of gameplay) port of the game on weaker hardware. it was just a encyclopedia with images.
on the other hand, NoA wasn't much better. nearly torpedoing the whole franchise by insisting that they redesign the Pokemon to appeal more to western tastes. with Hiroshi Yamauchi personally stepping in to tell them to back off.

This is one of those situations where it sounds stupid and laughable but I can sort of see what Nintendo was getting at, from a business standpoint at least. When you have a product with similar appeal (at least to a child) to your handheld's flagship game, being sold at a much cheaper price, there is the potential to lose out on game sales.

Hello! We were the newsletter responsible for this interview! Thanks for sharing.
We've recently released another with Lawrence Schwedler, the Audio Director for Pokémon Puzzle League, and we are hopeful for more cool interviews as time goes on.

Hello! We were the newsletter responsible for this interview! Thanks for sharing.
We've recently released another with Lawrence Schwedler, the Audio Director for Pokémon Puzzle League, and we are hopeful for more cool interviews as time goes on.

Oh sweet! I managed my own pokemon interview lately: a year ago I interviewed scenario writer Shinichiro Tomie on how he wrote the PMD subseries. Puzzle League is another of my favs but I had no real idea where to go for leads on that (the history if it being panel de pon 64 is particularly intriguing to me) so I’m especially eager to see how that PPL interview works out.

That pokedex toy was one of the best toys to come out during the Gen 1 days, I still have mine to this day (of course I have taken out the battery). I always wondered why they never did a Gen 2 and onwards, now I know.

Back
Top Bottom