• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread |ST11 Aug 2022| Everybody's 11-12 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, right, this thread/month is dying soon, isn't it? I guess one last shitpost is in order. In honor of summer:

giphy.gif

I'm really getting the hang of spawning actors and components and all that. I have a purely aesthetic spell that spawns a flower which emits a random color light.

Trying to think of other wacky and useful (and abuseful) things I can do. Like conjuring a wandering merchant so you can sell your shit mid-dungeon, or conjuring an attack alligator to help fight, or just conjuring a random enemy encounter.

Now, China and other Third World nations have a good chance here: they can nip video game and social media addiction in the bud by having strict regulation on such things, preferably those targeting minors and young people.
I'm sorry, do you live in a "third world" country or are you just assuming videogames are non-existent there?

I'll leave this thread with two thoughts;
1.) Lava lamps are great daytime light sources, and I just might buy myself another one to fill up some space.
2.) And as always, stay safe and healthy so we can see you next time in ST12!

I'll leave this thread with two thoughts;
1.) Lava lamps are great daytime light sources, and I just might buy myself another one to fill up some space.
2.) And as always, stay safe and healthy so we can see you next time in ST12!
I think I'll get my next Covid-19 booster shot soon.

I gave you a horse
the very next day
I gave you a horse
this year
like all other years
I’m giving you something special
(a horse!)

Ajm0iBd.jpg

and so another chapter closes… marewell thread

Hi, I’m sitting down to start working on uploading it in twenty minutes or so. It’s all done, barring final tweaks, so in less than two hours is the goal.
So should we say e.g. 8PM US Eastern (i.e. just over two hours from now)? If possible, it's preferable for you to have it all set up and then just post at a specified time so we can make sure we have mod coverage for the changeover

So should we say e.g. 8PM US Eastern (i.e. just over two hours from now)? If possible, it's preferable for you to have it all set up and then just post at a specified time so we can make sure we have mod coverage for the changeover
Cool I’ll just post it then :)

I'm relaying what my Chinese friends and other non-Western friends say.
Ah, I guess then using the "third world" term may have been too broad for your argument as it includes many countries where both videogames and social media already are already big.

Ah, I guess then using the "third world" term may have been too broad for your argument as it includes many countries where both videogames and social media already are already big.
I already know this.

just that the sentence (slightly edited and decontextualized, in fairness to you) “I think video-gaming is not good” is an intriguing take to post on a video game forum

it was meant as more of a light joke about the sentence itself

as for my takes on your post, though —

there’s a lot of fucked up bullshit that companies do to make some games super predatory

but going against the concept of games as a whole? whatever the intent I’m not sure aggressive media bans really do the people™ many favors

I’ve only got like three friends living in China / directly affected by this so I’m not going to assume I have any broad insight

again, totally agree there’s lots of predatory garbage in the game market that I’d like to go at with an axe (not at all limited to “the west”)

but I also think it’s kind of a cop-out to blame games for causing obsessive / addictive behavior — I’d argue that it’s just another avenue for those things, which exist in people for all kinds of reasons, and that it can be a more soothing and safe diversion then many other options

like idk, maybe I don’t know shit, and I’ve never been to China so my insight is null. not trying to tear it all apart, just my thoughts on it.

also it’s pretty bad form to use the phrase “third world” in earnest, just fyi

Now, China and other Third World nations have a good chance here: they can nip video game and social media addiction in the bud by having strict regulation on such things, preferably those targeting minors and young people.
out of curiosity — what is it that makes them have a better chance of “nipping it in the bud” than anywhere else?

because China is literally the largest game market on the planet

if we’re talking “buds” here every other country isn’t even the inkling of a bud yet in comparison

so what is this positioning? because without context it feels like a standard being assumed better for others not applied to the self

just that the sentence (slightly edited and decontextualized, in fairness to you) “I think video-gaming is not good” is an intriguing take to post on a video game forum

it was meant as more of a light joke about the sentence itself

as for my takes on your post, though —

there’s a lot of fucked up bullshit that companies do to make some games super predatory

but going against the concept of games as a whole? whatever the intent I’m not sure aggressive media bans really do the people™ many favors

I’ve only got like three friends living in China / directly affected by this so I’m not going to assume I have any broad insight

again, totally agree there’s lots of predatory garbage in the game market that I’d like to go at with an axe (not at all limited to “the west”)

but I also think it’s kind of a cop-out to blame games for causing obsessive / addictive behavior — I’d argue that it’s just another avenue for those things, which exist in people for all kinds of reasons, and that it can be a more soothing and safe diversion then many other options

like idk, maybe I don’t know shit, and I’ve never been to China so my insight is null. not trying to tear it all apart, just my thoughts on it.

also it’s pretty bad form to use the phrase “third world” in earnest, just fyi
Ah! Let me explain. I just read Deng Xiaoping's speeches and, if you translate them all into English (at the very least), the term "Third World" is used by him a lot.

Err... I just kinda fell back into using that word.

I honestly didn't mean anything by it. I meant mainly "non-Western."

Ah! Let me explain. I just read Deng Xiaoping's speeches and, if you translate them all into English (at the very least), the term "Third World" is used by him a lot.

Err... I just kinda fell back into using that word.

I honestly didn't mean anything by it. I meant mainly "non-Western."
oh, okay! that makes a bit more sense

and again I don’t know shit, I’m limited to my own paradigm and haphazard attempts to know the paradigms of others

it’s just from my experience in the US and Canada used with heavily racist, paternalistic, and colonial connotations

out of curiosity — what is it that makes them have a better chance of “nipping it in the bud” than anywhere else?

because China is literally the largest game market on the planet

if we’re talking “buds” here every other country isn’t even the inkling of a bud yet in comparison

so what is this positioning? because without context it feels like a standard being assumed better for others not applied to the self
I read that China has the most players of any country.

But that this is mainly due to their large population, if I'm not mistaken.

However, even for the large amount of people that play games there: for most, it isn't really "a thing" (and I'm going on this based mainly on my interactions with some friends, but also other observations) and that, when it does come to video games, it seems stuff like MMORPGs are the main way to play, well, video games in general. (Edit: There are a few other genres besides MMORPGs that seem to be popular, but we're talking games of a mobile nature, though the ones you play on your phone are becoming better and more powerful, of course).

Like, for example, there aren't many conventions there on the same level as, say, Gamescom or E3.

From what I can tell: it isn't as big as in the West... in terms of culture, I mean.

And it seems that the outcry or reasoning behind regulations on gaming in China, from certain outlets anyway, is that China shouldn't allow an industry that has large amounts of companies based in the West to penetrate too deeply into society.

And that gaming can indeed be predatory, as you say.

And that gaming can be addictive to small children.

Of course: patriotism has been on the up-and-up in China recently, especially since Trump (and to a lesser degree Obama) came to office. And there was even a widely shared article that the Communist Party of China expressed approval of, at least certain figures in the CPC, which referred to "girly men" (mainly in regard to Korean pop culture) and other Western things were having too much influence on China.

And I can tell you that my contacts in general had a profound change in how they viewed America since Trump, of course.

So that's sort-of what I'm basing this off.

And, ultimately, I came to the conclusion that it was best that China indeed regulate gaming in a way they see fit, if that is what they feel is best.

IMHO.

But more than that (and this is more MY opinion): I feel that they kinda have a point.

As someone that has dealt with obsessive or compulsive behavior, I can definitely say that it can be... a bit much, some of what's out there. And I can see why it would alarm some people.

oh, okay! that makes a bit more sense

and again I don’t know shit, I’m limited to my own paradigm and haphazard attempts to know the paradigms of others

it’s just from my experience in the US and Canada used with heavily racist, paternalistic, and colonial connotations
To be fair:

Deng Xiaoping in his speeches is using the term "Third World" during the Cold War era (and during the early 1990s).

And I (mistakenly) fell back into that and assumed that it was just how certain countries, in a geopolitical sense, referred to themselves.

Frankly though? It's been a while since I've frequented other forums extensively, especially with one dealing mainly with video games and I frankly didn't know that "third world" was seen as a bad term... and given the connotations and the origin of the term: it's not hard to see why, looking at all that.

But yeah: I mean non-Western.

Today was my last day at work for 6 months - I'm now off on parental leave (while also reading a short college class over the interwebs for some brain activity)

It feels very weird right now, tomorrow morning I will drop of the 2 older kids and me and the little one - 8 months old - will go home, hang out.. hopefully get some rest in and just.. be. Will probably take some time to adopt :>

@Suswave

Okay, I'll say one more thing because I'm getting tired of this topic, but:

I think... that I honestly don't know what my exact position is.

I think my "take" is this: that I get why people in a country like China would be alarmed at the growing influence of video games in their country.

And that they have every right to enact the policies they do if that is what they feel is ultimately best.

But whether it's "correct" or "morally right" to regulate gaming in the country... I don't know.

And, frankly, I know people go back and forth on whether video games are "addicting." Frankly, my stance is that it can be, but it's far from the only thing that is.

So I think that's kinda my final words on the matter.

I don't quite know where to place myself or what my exact position is on the matter but I think that about sums up my thoughts as, reading through my previous posts just now, I'm kinda unsure myself.

Again, what I said is bound to be unpopular here, but there you go, I suppose.

Maybe I'm just getting sappier but Xenoblade 3 has made me cry twice already. Noah and Mio have quickly become two of my favorite protagonists.

Problem is the direct speculation thread has been syphoning off half the posts that would be in these STs for the past 3 months. A direct can’t come soon enough to reestablish things.

Yeah I felt that. The energy from this thread went to the direct thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom