• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo eShop |ST Apr. 2024|

Haven't played it. But it looks cool, got good reviews, is very cheap, so I'll snag it eventually.

Mail Mole is worth six bucks for sure. The level design is kinda basic for a 3D platformer, but I presume it's because the game is accounting for players adjusting to the different movement mechanics.

You're honestly set with those three, but if you have the budget for a few more bangers: Hades, Slay The Spire, Gorogoa, Grapple Dog, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair, Cuphead, and Yoku's Island Express!

Thank you both! Definitely gonna pick up both Chico and Mail Mole and will be sure to post impressions.

Thank you for the suggestions! Looks as though there is a pretty significant difference between the sale here (UK) and elsewhere… so no Hades or Celeste for the time being!

Ori however is a very good shout, will see how much budget I have 😅
I always forget Ori is on Switch but those are also two of my all-time faves. Just absolutely beautiful games with platforming perfection, and a gorgeous world, story and music.

The Hotline Miami Collection is an amazing deal. Couple of great games for 5 quid.

Unfortunately those games are banned here in Australia.

Thank you for the suggestions! Looks as though there is a pretty significant difference between the sale here (UK) and elsewhere… so no Hades or Celeste for the time being!

Please give Celeste a chance another time, then! It's easily the best indie game I've ever played. Stardew Valley is another classic, if you haven't played it yet. Both these games have ridiculous amounts of content for their meager price.

Please give Celeste a chance another time, then! It's easily the best indie game I've ever played. Stardew Valley is another classic, if you haven't played it yet. Both these games have ridiculous amounts of content for their meager price.
Just want to second this. I've been working on some of Celeste's most difficult content for years and I still get a lot of deep meaning out of going back and making incremental progress. But this is way deep into the game. The game is (to me) incredibly challenging, but starts out with solidly challenging and has you work your way up in a very fair and forgiving way. I'm sure it's the game I've died the most in but I learned something from many of those deaths.

Just want to second this. I've been working on some of Celeste's most difficult content for years and I still get a lot of deep meaning out of going back and making incremental progress. But this is way deep into the game. The game is (to me) incredibly challenging, but starts out with solidly challenging and has you work your way up in a very fair and forgiving way. I'm sure it's the game I've died the most in but I learned something from many of those deaths.

Celeste is an incredible experience. It's the game that best nails that feeling of "holy shit that can't be humanly possible" that gradually turns into "I'm so clooooose!". Everytime you doubt yourself, the game teaches you that you can go beyond what you thought was your limit.

When I started, I thought the first level B-side was impossible lol thinking about that when I finally completed all C-sides + Level 9 was hilarious.

If you're on a really tight budget - and looking at the current EU sales on Dekudeals - I think some of the very best sales right now are the 4 "older" Steamworld games (Dig 1, Dig 2, Heist, Quest). All those are at 80%-90% off, which is insane for such high-quality games. You get all those 4 games for something like 15% of the price of a Nintendo game.

And here are some others at 75% or more:
Spiritfarer (75%)
Everspace (80%)
The Messenger (75%)
Enter the Gungeon (71%)
Hotline Miami Collection (75%)
New Super Lucky's Tale (75%)
My Friend Pedro (75%)
The Talos Principle (85%)
Flipping Death (90%)
Wandersong (75%)
Crawl (80%)
Hob (80%)
Kaze and the Wild Masks (75%)
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (75%)
Crypt of the Necrodancer (80%)
Cat Quest (80%)
Call of Juarez (80%)
Katamari Damacy REROLL (75%)
Minit (75%)
Slime-San (92%)

Picked up Eiyuden Chronicles: Rising ahead of the main game. Heard mixed thoughts on it but for £3.79 I’ll give it a shot

I'm eyeing Chico - does this mean you played it? 😃

Goblin Sword $2
Harlow $2.59
Mail Mole $6
Monomals $4

Anyone recommend any of these? Zelda likes and 2D platformers are my fave but I love most family friendly indies...
Bought Monomals because of the super-low price, and tested a few levels. Based on what I've played I'd say that the production values are very high, the swimming platforming mechanic is good but not ground-breaking, but I really don't understand why the music creation tool is included. IMO, absolutely worth the discounted price, but not at full price.

Bought Monomals because of the super-low price, and tested a few levels. Based on what I've played I'd say that the production values are very high, the swimming platforming mechanic is good but not ground-breaking, but I really don't understand why the music creation tool is included. IMO, absolutely worth the discounted price, but not at full price.
Thank you! Do you feel like it's enjoyable enough to where you'll be playing through the whole game or like you already pretty much had your fill?

Thank you! Do you feel like it's enjoyable enough to where you'll be playing through the whole game or like you already pretty much had your fill?
I don't think the basic mechanic displayed so far (swimming with boost attack, and an electric connection ability) is interesting enough to play through a whole game with such mechanics.

I think the biggest problem is that it feels more like an iPad game than a console game (IIRC, the game has its origins on Apple Arcade) - the movement doesn't feel precise enough to work as a platformer using a traditional controller.

I don't think the basic mechanic displayed so far (swimming with boost attack, and an electric connection ability) is interesting enough to play through a whole game with such mechanics.

I think the biggest problem is that it feels more like an iPad game than a console game (IIRC, the game has its origins on Apple Arcade) - the movement doesn't feel precise enough to work as a platformer using a traditional controller.
I think I'm going to skip it, then. I've read your wise impressions for many years now so I feel like I have a great sense of your taste and we have a lot of similarities in the games we find compelling. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. That 'feels like an iPad game' part would definitely jump out at me. The last game that felt like that I played all the way through was Wunderling and it was mostly charming but with limited game time just didn't feel worth the time overall.

Didn't see this posted, but Potionomics is coming to Switch, PS5 and Xbox this Fall!

At least here in the US, QubicGames has most of their games on sale for 20 cents each (I think you need to already own something from them to activate the 20 cent prices, but they have a free "game" called Coloring Book that qualifies). Most of their output is junk but they are the current publishers of the Bit.Trip series, so I just picked up all six of the Bit.Trip games for a grand total of $1.20. Well, free actually, since I used gold coins. I've played them before back in the day on Wii, but it's nice to have them on Switch. Should be fun to revisit.

I also picked up Grapple Dog (currently $4.50). I've only gone through a few levels at this point but my early impressions are that the graphics are appealing, controls are good and it's fun to play.

The El Shaddai icon is a disgrace
I tweeted the devs to change the icon with the first patch, let's see if they will. Some do, some simply ignore. That god awful Lost in Random icon still haunts my Switch and WayForward hasn't touched that ugly ass Contra Operation Galuga icon yet.

At least here in the US, QubicGames has most of their games on sale for 20 cents each (I think you need to already own something from them to activate the 20 cent prices, but they have a free "game" called Coloring Book that qualifies). Most of their output is junk but they are the current publishers of the Bit.Trip series, so I just picked up all six of the Bit.Trip games for a grand total of $1.20. Well, free actually, since I used gold coins. I've played them before back in the day on Wii, but it's nice to have them on Switch. Should be fun to revisit.

I also picked up Grapple Dog (currently $4.50). I've only gone through a few levels at this point but my early impressions are that the graphics are appealing, controls are good and it's fun to play.
Akane is worth a play too. Sunk 30 hours into that.

Hi guys, we are holding a giveaway contest on our Italian website, for a EU Switch eShop code of Class of Heroes HD1:
to join us it's enough to leave a comment on our page:

CLASS OF HEROES HD 1

To participate, comements left until Sunday, April 28th!

Checking new sales and a couple things on my wishlist hit the minimum sale for me to consider, tho I may wait on some:
Process of Elimination($20), Grimgrimore once more($25) and Samurai Maiden($30) all hit half off. Harvestella is also half off(tho I can wait for that one). Disaster report 4 is 66% off at $20 but I think I'll abstain for now
Oh and Fate/Samurai Remnant is 33% off at $40.19 but I think I'll continue waiting on that too.

Tempted by a couple but have plenty of backlog so I may not bite

How often do the Hamster Archives games go on sale? I’ve had Bubble Bobble and Track and Field on my wishlist for ages but neither have ever been on sale, wondered if they tend to go on sale after a specific amount of time or if I should just pick them up.

How often do the Hamster Archives games go on sale? I’ve had Bubble Bobble and Track and Field on my wishlist for ages but neither have ever been on sale, wondered if they tend to go on sale after a specific amount of time or if I should just pick them up.
There's no set schedule or pattern as far as I know. Some games from the Metal Slug and King of Fighters series go on sale pretty consistently but other than those it feels like Hamster just sticks their hand into a big bag of games and whatever they happen to pull out they'll put on sale. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind it. Waku Waku 7 has been out since the Switch launched and it's never been discounted.

There's no set schedule or pattern as far as I know. Some games from the Metal Slug and King of Fighters series go on sale pretty consistently but other than those it feels like Hamster just sticks their hand into a big bag of games and whatever they happen to pull out they'll put on sale. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind it. Waku Waku 7 has been out since the Switch launched and it's never been discounted.

Yeah, I’ve had the Metal Slug ones, maybe I’ll just bite the bullet and pick up the others rather than continue waiting for a sale. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom