• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic [Spoilers Allowed] Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck! [Read Staff Post]

Which heavily rumored "it's absolutely gonna show up this time" game are we NOT going to see?

• Total voters
Mission structured games and linear closed world games tend to be way more fun than open world games

Let's debate that 🍿
daring-today-are-we-spongebob.gif

I'm sorry, but I'm not giving any credence to the "fucking Donkey Kong" temper tantrum. People are still pushing the narrative that the Wii U was flooded with 2D platformers despite there being a grand total of… two—New Super Mario Bros. U and Rayman Legends, which isn't even first-party—when Tropical Freeze was announced. Every other Nintendo franchise is allowed to have a dedicated studio, but Retro was skewered by entitled fans for daring to make a sequel to their best-selling game. Now Donkey Kong is on a decade-long hiatus and there's a realistic possibility that the Switch will be the first Nintendo console since the NES without an original Donkey Kong game. Also, Retro will probably never touch the franchise again. Good job, gamers!

A certain subset of Nintendo fans wanted Retro to become Nintendo's Naughty Dog and release an "Uncharted killer" because they were desperate for validation. The Wii U was coming off of the GameCube and Wii, two consoles that were mocked by the "hardcore gamers"—particularly in the Western games media—who dominated gaming discourse at the time. They deluded themselves into believing that Retro was secretly working on some AAA cinematic action game that would prove that Nintendo wasn't just for kids. Only then could the floundering Wii U be "saved." When it turned out that they were working on a cartoony platformer instead, all of the discontented Nintendo fans and Nintendo haters alike joined in on the dogpile to disparage what would end up being arguably the greatest 2D platformer ever made.
In some way... The role has reverse, in which people want a new Jak and dexter and something that's less realistic.

But yeah... The Wii U Era was rough, especially if you were a Nintendo fan on online forums.

I'll be honest and I say this as a Fire Emblem fan, the discourse around the series gives Paper Mario discourse a run for its money and the ultra hardcore Fire Emblem fanbase might be one of the worst subgroups in the entire Nintendo fandom. And it's kind of been that way since the 2000s when the series made its international debut. I can remember a time when some people were saying that Sacred Stones was going against what the series stood for. And don't get me started on Fire Emblem Heroes Youtubers. There is a certain percentage of the fandom that can only praise a Fire Emblem if they are talking shit about another Fire Emblem game. There's a persistent sense of victimhood, for lack of a better term, among some fans who that Nintendo and Intelligent Systems are actively trying to destroy the series they supposedly love. This leads to obsessive behavior without being able to move on with their lives.

Not that this behavior is exclusive to within the Fire Emblem series but because of its relatively smaller fanbase compared to other Nintendo franchises, negativity feels more pervasive. For example, it could be hard to find good Youtube content on the series because there's only a select number of Youtubers that focus on the series compared to something like Mario or Zelda and unfortunately a lot of these Youtubers focus on being negative.

The series is in the healthiest spot its ever been. The series is constantly changing things up so if one Fire Emblem game isn't your favorite, there's a high chance that the next one will try something new that you might like. But so much of the discourse just focuses on how this game or that game has ruined the series forever.

Sorry for the rant.
Almost every active Nintendo franchise has an annoying fanbase

Yep, but he quit a long time ago. I remember a magazine interview where he stated he started eating a lot of sweets after he quit smoking. He then pointed to his stomach and laughed, suggesting he had put on a little weight.
maybe thats how nintendo games feature worlds themed on sweet treats. he was addicted to them

I'm sorry, but I'm not giving any credence to the "fucking Donkey Kong" temper tantrum. People are still pushing the narrative that the Wii U was flooded with 2D platformers despite there being a grand total of… two—New Super Mario Bros. U and Rayman Legends, which isn't even first-party—when Tropical Freeze was announced. Every other Nintendo franchise is allowed to have a dedicated studio, but Retro was skewered by entitled fans for daring to make a sequel to their best-selling game. Now Donkey Kong is on a decade-long hiatus and there's a realistic possibility that the Switch will be the first Nintendo console since the NES without an original Donkey Kong game. Also, Retro will probably never touch the franchise again. Good job, gamers!

A certain subset of Nintendo fans wanted Retro to become Nintendo's Naughty Dog and release an "Uncharted killer" because they were desperate for validation. The Wii U was coming off of the GameCube and Wii, two consoles that were mocked by the "hardcore gamers"—particularly in the Western games media—who dominated gaming discourse at the time. They deluded themselves into believing that Retro was secretly working on some AAA cinematic action game that would prove that Nintendo wasn't just for kids. Only then could the floundering Wii U be "saved." When it turned out that they were working on a cartoony platformer instead, all of the discontented Nintendo fans and Nintendo haters alike joined in on the dogpile to disparage what would end up being arguably the greatest 2D platformer ever made.
You can always count on Professor Chops to defend DK

August 15 - Pushmo
September 12 - Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
October 3 - 2D DK
October 24 - 2D Zelda
November 14 - Pokemon Black and White remakes
December 5 - Tomodachi Collection 3

Mission structured games and linear closed world games tend to be way more fun than open world games

Let's debate that 🍿
Usually, I agree. But there are some caveats to that.

Zelda 1+2, Metroid and River City Ransom were some of the first games I played that I would say truly deviated from linear or objective-based design, and they would go on to form the basis for a lot of my tastes in gaming that have endured to this day.

You know what’s funny to me? People saying they want a star fox game from the ace combat team… when the ace combat 2 team were the guys who made Star Fox Assault!

I'll be honest and I say this as a Fire Emblem fan, the discourse around the series gives Paper Mario discourse a run for its money and the ultra hardcore Fire Emblem fanbase might be one of the worst subgroups in the entire Nintendo fandom. And it's kind of been that way since the 2000s when the series made its international debut. I can remember a time when some people were saying that Sacred Stones was going against what the series stood for. And don't get me started on Fire Emblem Heroes Youtubers. There is a certain percentage of the fandom that can only praise a Fire Emblem if they are talking shit about another Fire Emblem game. There's a persistent sense of victimhood, for lack of a better term, among some fans who that Nintendo and Intelligent Systems are actively trying to destroy the series they supposedly love. This leads to obsessive behavior without being able to move on with their lives.

Not that this behavior is exclusive to within the Fire Emblem series but because of its relatively smaller fanbase compared to other Nintendo franchises, negativity feels more pervasive. For example, it could be hard to find good Youtube content on the series because there's only a select number of Youtubers that focus on the series compared to something like Mario or Zelda and unfortunately a lot of these Youtubers focus on being negative.

The series is in the healthiest spot its ever been. The series is constantly changing things up so if one Fire Emblem game isn't your favorite, there's a high chance that the next one will try something new that you might like. But so much of the discourse just focuses on how this game or that game has ruined the series forever.

Sorry for the rant.
the alleged 'fire emblem fans' doing the in-fighting over hating individual fire emblem games aren't the real fans they're smash fans LARPing as fire emblem fans and joining at recent moments at the series' history. the real fans arent chronically online and they love all the games. i really hate what 2014 and later years did to gaming fandoms :cry:

You know what’s funny to me? People saying they want a star fox game from the ace combat team… when the ace combat 2 team were the guys who made Star Fox Assault!
That's actually not true, as I've learned.

A healthy portion of the Namco team were more known for their work on the likes of Klonoa and Katamari, before making Assault.

Funny thing is that some of them would indeed go on to work on Ace Combat after the fact, as Mobygames indicates.

If the Direct isn't in the morning then I won't be able to watch it due to the doctor's appointment that summoned it in the first place so

Gimme a reason to set my alarm, Nintendo

Here's my new game reveal predictions as of June 16th, 2024.
  1. FE4 remake - August 2024
  2. New Pushmo - September 2024
  3. New Mario Party - October 2024
  4. A remaster of a Nintendo 3D Action Title from Bandai Namco (Kid Icarus Uprising or Sin and Punishment Star Successor) - October 2024
  5. New Zelda - November 2024
  6. Mario Warriors - November 2024
  7. New 3D Kirby - January-February 2025
  8. Monolith Soft's "Legacy" - Summer 2025
  9. Metroid Prime 4 - Switch 2 launch

Watching this and I would just about lose my mind if we got a remaster of this most wonderful game. I know it'll probably never happen, but man, so many good memories.

Watching this and I would just about lose my mind if we got a remaster of this most wonderful game. I know it'll probably never happen, but man, so many good memories.

I've accepted the only way I'll get it is via NSO. They'll never remake that perfect little game that started it all.
i love all fire emblem games 🤩
I love playing them but I had my issues with Engage and Fates. Fates went on too long and Engage was just bland. But the maps and layout of units was great. I can't lie.

not gonna go back and actually fact-check this, but I feel like morning or midday directs are usually the bangers, while the late-afternoon/evening (east coast time) ones have generally been more disappointing for me

while I'm not superstitious, I am a little stitious, so I'll take a morning direct any day

seriously yall

with all the talk about Fire Emblem, Prime 4, Star Fox, Fucking Donkey Kong, whether it'll be a good Direct or a filler Direct, whether all the stuff people care about is being held over for new hardware...

imagine the reaction if this Direct fades in and instead of Koizumi or Takahashi we see Reggie.

A smirk on his face, a Lucas lapel pin, and he doesn't say a word. Just smiles, raises his hand, and snaps.

Let's debate that 🍿
I think I generally agree, but there is a pretty big caveat there. My enjoyment of games tends to center around setpieces and bespoke content, among other things. Odyssey, while great in it's own right, lacks many interactable setpieces, sand kingdom being one of the few exceptions. Similalry, The underground/sky islands of TOTK falters at times because they rely on a handful of repeated challenges.

Generally, linear games are easier to make bespoke content around, hence why Mario Wonder, Metroid Dread, Octo Expansion and so on are so enjoyable.

It's not "Open world v linear" its "volume of simple v limited bespoke" - hence why Pikmin 4 doesn't suffer from any of the issues Mario Odyssey does.

seriously yall

with all the talk about Fire Emblem, Prime 4, Star Fox, Fucking Donkey Kong, whether it'll be a good Direct or a filler Direct, whether all the stuff people care about is being held over for new hardware...

imagine the reaction if this Direct fades in and instead of Koizumi or Takahashi we see Reggie.

A smirk on his face, a Lucas lapel pin, and he doesn't say a word. Just smiles, raises his hand, and snaps.
I sincerely hope Reggie worked that into his contract that barring catastrophic damage to infrastructure, he is informed at once when the Mother 3 localization goes through, and he is given those 10 seconds to introduce it to North America for the very first time.

Seemed like the 18th part was just a joke and some tweet from some other rando.
Oh I still think regardless it’s the most likely based on the smoke (all the game info that’s coming on that date like Among Us, Fall Guys)

Also if we wanna invoke patterns and they’re doing a morning direct like they used to for E3, those always fell on Tuesdays

Back
Top Bottom