• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Nintendo Direct announced for February 9th

How do you think BotW2 will appear in the Direct?

• Long trailer

Votes: 25 5.4%
  • Short trailer with name reveal

Votes: 106 22.7%
  • Short trailer without name reveal

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Brief appearance/recognition

Votes: 124 26.6%
  • No appearance at all

Votes: 183 39.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean…no I do not see the problems. I greatly enjoyed all those games. Federation Force is a great game to play and did not deserve the quite frankly disgusting backlash it got from Metroid fans. Paper Jams is also a great game and finally gives us interactions between the Koopalings. It also has a really funny script and it’s wacky mix of action and rpg. Hyruke Warriors 3DS came with its own fun campaign that ran unappreciated. TrinForce Heroes is a great 3 person game. Literally I do not understand the sheer vitriol and hate it got. Not to mention the disgusting “fan work” that did shit like depicting Samus as a crackhead.

Also, while the new formula is appreciated I miss the shit like the Star Fox gag and the willingness to have fun with it. Like, that was half the fun of watching these. Now the only real difference between this and a “twitter direct” is that’s its all at one time instead of spread out
Federation Force not being all that great aside, the backlash was to some extent justified. Not saying some people didn't take it too far (that's always the case everywhere), but after like a decade without a new game, you don't show a game that has nothing in common with the series. It was the same thing with Blizzard and their Diablo mobile game. Other devs over time understood to give fans something they wanted for a long time, and then introduce the offbeat thing. Barely anyone would've gotten mad if they showed a game like Dread or even the Metroid 2 remake before showing off FF.

Again, fans waited a decade, and they got a co-op shooter with chibi characters from the least interesting faction in the Metroid universe. The things that make the series special, like atmosphere and leveldesign, were barely a focus on that title. I have never seen the Samus crackhead "fanart". But plenty of art showing Samus looking like shit after getting a "comeback" like that. That was just people coping with their disappointment,

I dreamed of a new Pikmin game called Pikmin Galaxy. You could travel between different planets that looked like Mario Galaxy planets and I was visiting a paper factory.
I'll be disappointed if it's not announced today.

I'm not really busy until the afternoon, so I made this handy chart in preparation for tonight.

nJkxJDb.png

I prefer Directs that are in the night for Eurotrash like myself. That way I can just check my phone in the morning to see the headlines to calibrate before watching (and skip through all the Fire Emblem / Xenoblade stuff - sorry folks, BotW is already borderline too weeb for this manly green muppet man*).

This one's around bedtime, so there two options:

1. ZELDER IS THERE AND I'M NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO SLEEP
2. ZELDER IS NOT THERE and I wish I went to bed earlier.

*who's nervous because he's not sure if he'll be advertised to properly so make of that what you will

Next Level Games could have a new game. They could easily have a Mario Strikers for this year. We’re in the complete dark with what they’re working on. There’s no rumors at all, just all of our wild speculations about Star Fox, Wario, DK, etc. But at the end of the day we’ve been speculating our dreams for NLG.

Mario Strikers isn’t a big game and wouldn’t take long to develop. They’re a very efficient studio. We’ve had a Mario game every first half of Switch’s life.

2017- Mario Kart
2018- Mario Tennis
2019- Mario Maker 2
2020- Paper Mario (was July, but come one we had Covid)
2021- Mario Golf

We have no Mario games coming besides Mario + Rabbids (that’s to be seen if it’s even coming this year). It’s not a Nintendo published game either.

Next Level Games could have a new game. They could easily have a Mario Strikers for this year. We’re in the complete dark with what they’re working on. There’s no rumors at all, just all of our wild speculations about Star Fox, Wario, DK, etc. But at the end of the day we’ve been speculating our dreams for NLG.

Mario Strikers isn’t a big game and wouldn’t take long to develop. They’re a very efficient studio. We’ve had a Mario game every first half of Switch’s life.

2017- Mario Kart
2018- Mario Tennis
2019- Mario Maker 2
2020- Paper Mario (was July, but come one we had Covid)
2021- Mario Golf

We have no Mario games coming besides Mario + Rabbids (that’s to be seen if it’s even coming this year). It’s not a Nintendo published game either.
Next Level is the most fun Nintendo studio to speculate about since I think there is general consensus they won’t make Luigi’s Mansion 4 immediately next. The sky is the limit now that they are officially under the Nintendo umbrella.

I want to say it is a little early for them, but depending on the game they make it has been two years since Luigi’s Mansion 3. E3 feels like a safer prediction time for them to show up.

They released plenty of NES and I think even N64 games with just an update for the software, no need for a maintenance scheduled.
Last few NSO game releases have been preceded by maintenance.

You'll notice that the NSO maintenance tomorrow is starting earlier than usual though; coincidentially at the end of the hour the direct airs in.

Well, "coincidence", since that's obviously intentional to coincide with some shadowdrop release announced during the presentation. If it was a random inconsequential maintenance Nintendo would be reporting it on their network status site, but they aren't. Obviously something we weren't meant to know about.

All I ask for is Nintendo to NOT LEAK any of their games. I want this new Fire Emblem to be a complete surprise. I don’t want to see a name or thumbnail leaked by Nintendo.

I was Googling to see what the current rumours for the Direct are and came across one of the many articles saying Mario Kart 9 is heavily rumoured to be announced. The same article also said that "according to rumours and speculation" MK Live: Home Circuit is viewed internally by Nintendo as being Mario Kart 9, so the next one could be Mario Kart 10. We've also heard rumours over the past year that Nintendo could be looking to make Mario Kart more like Smash Bros., in terms of having a variety of characters from their different IPs. That would be a kind of crossover game of sorts.

What's the Roman numeral for 10? X. What can X also mean? Cross.

It's Mario Kart X (pronounced Cross) y'all.

Forgive me if someone already had the same theory, I didn't read all 32 pages.

Next Level is the most fun Nintendo studio to speculate about since I think there is general consensus they won’t make Luigi’s Mansion 4 immediately next. The sky is the limit now that they are officially under the Nintendo umbrella.

I want to say it is a little early for them, but depending on the game they make it has been two years since Luigi’s Mansion 3. E3 feels like a safer prediction time for them to show up.
Right. That’s the great thing about NLG. To me they’re one of the most mysterious Nintendo studios. They can do anything in my eyes.

Last few NSO game releases have been preceded by maintenance.

You'll notice that the NSO maintenance tomorrow is starting earlier than usual though; coincidentially at the end of the hour the direct airs in.

Well, "coincidence", since that's obviously intentional to coincide with some shadowdrop release announced during the presentation. If it was a random inconsequential maintenance Nintendo would be reporting it on their network status site, but they aren't. Obviously something we weren't meant to know about.

Finally ! Genesis NSO will get X-Perts and N64 NSO will get Superman 64 !

I was Googling to see what the current rumours for the Direct are and came across one of the many articles saying Mario Kart 9 is heavily rumoured to be announced. The same article also said that "according to rumours and speculation" MK Live: Home Circuit is viewed internally by Nintendo as being Mario Kart 9, so the next one could be Mario Kart 10. We've also heard rumours over the past year that Nintendo could be looking to make Mario Kart more like Smash Bros., in terms of having a variety of characters from their different IPs. That would be a kind of crossover game of sorts.

Idk about anyone saying Mario Kart will be announced. Going by real insiders and fake insiders no one has said Mario Kart will be announced here.

If Mario Kart does do the big crossover with Nintendo IP’s then I’d love even more for some kind of open worldish single player. You get to drive around to other Nintendo IP’s. Going from this jolly Mario world and it gets darker and darker as you head to Metroid’s themed area. With boss fights from respective series too.

I really have no idea whether BotW2 will show up or not - but if it does, then I'm assuming Dane Switch is coming this year too

I sincerely doubt home circuit is viewed as mk 9 internally.

But I wouldn’t be surprised if they skip 9, going by trends.

Windows 9, IPhone 9. Sure there are more examples.

Idk about anyone saying Mario Kart will be announced. Going by real insiders and fake insiders no one has said Mario Kart will be announced here.
I'm not personally expecting it either, but it would be a fun little surprise. MK8 Deluxe is still selling, so I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there's no new MK game until the next Switch.

I sincerely doubt home circuit is viewed as mk 9 internally.

But I wouldn’t be surprised if they skip 9, going by trends.

Windows 9, IPhone 9. Sure there are more examples.

I feel the same about Home Circuit. I've seen other people say that Tour is MK 9 also. To me they're both spin offs, definitely not main titles.

I'm not personally expecting it either, but it would be a fun little surprise. MK8 Deluxe is still selling, so I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there's no new MK game until the next Switch.
It’s just how long they gonna hold out lol? Like is the new switch coming by next year or 2-3 years later. It’s crazy we have to wait a decade for a new game.

I’m definitely a believer in the Mario Kart X (cross). This lined up perfectly for Nintendo. Mario Kart 8 already started the crossovers. And MKX will go all out. I want them to do character specific items then. If Metroid is there then let Samus have an Ice Beam that she can get and freeze people in their tracks momentarily. ARMS will definitely be represented and I’d imagine Pikmin would be too.

Slowly over time they can reveal a new Nintendo franchise that will be in Mario Kart X showing the character from the franchise, items from the franchise and racetrack. This would be leading up to the release of the game.

Just 11 hours to go!
Does anyone here think that maybe Nintendo will shadowdrop The Sequel to The Legend Of Zelda©: Breath of The Wild™️ after today’s direct?

Honestly if we get one of Fire Emblem/Xenoblade/BotW 2/Silksong showing up in any form I'll be pretty happy with this direct.

I tend to be "happier" for new games, than games already announced
Usually, an already announced game is of intereste in a Direct only in a negative way for me (because of a delay)
So, I'd be happy for FE or Xeno, not SO happy for Silnksong or BOTW2, if those two aren't accompanied by brand new announcements

I'm probably weird, but I prefer Directs to be dedicated to NEW products (with specific Directs or Twitter/PR info/trailers for already known games)

oh boy we still speculatin and we speculatin haaaarrrrrrrrd

I have a gut feeling Mario Kart X (crossover) is what they’re gonna aim for but I really just want a traditional Mario Kart 9.

This looks so cool!!

It would be so cool if that was in the game. Maybe as a way to save up stamina in the sky.

By the way, your avatar is awesome! As is the tweet art. Most BotW2 Link art is nice. His design is so neat.

Nintendo Direct - Angery Edition

Capcom logo appears, and is swiftly followed by the Resident Evil Engine logo

- It's Resident Evil: Outrage! ("This looks too good to be running on Switch"); it's confirmed as the reveal ends, that it's launching first on Nintendo Switch ("smh @ Nintendo moneyhatting"); it's also confirmed on Capcom's social media channels that no visual upgrades will be present beyond higher resolutions and framerates in PS/XB/PC versions of the game. Fans are.... outraged.

It's Shinya Takahashi! He's our host today, and he hopes you like what you saw. On to our first set of headlines from our development partners ("no first party? Nintendo are shit"):

• Arkham Collection! Devil May Cry 4! indies! ("wish Nintendo would make something new for a change")
  • Here's a new IP from our partners at Bandai-Namco games: Goonect. Launches summer, 2022. ("looks like kiddie shit")
  • Genshi Impact launches on Nintendo Switch... later today! ("already played this fml")
  • Triangle Strategy demo arriving... later today! Progress carries into the full game ("weeb shit")
  • Advance Wars: Reboot Camp! confirmed for April 8th. War Room mode is returning, and new maps and COs will arrive post-launch. ("bring back a franchise people care about")
  • Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters coming to Nintendo Switch. Final Fantasy 1 to 3 launching in March, Final Fantasy 4 to 6 to follow in 'summer'.

Shinya Takahashi is back. Nintendo's subsidiaries and partners are hard at work on more games. In fact, Intelligent Systems are especially hard at work:
  • this first reveal is a logo reveal for: Fire Emblem Echoes: Holy War. 2023. ("weeb shit", "no gameplay, probably won't arrive until Switch 2").
  • Shinya Takahashi: what you just saw is an early tease for a remake of the SNES classic Genealogy of the Holy War. We look forward to sharing more with you at a later point in time. We do have even more to share, cut to:
  • New Fire Emblem reveal. Lots of gameplay footage, and a noticeable visual upgrade over Three Houses. Even better, it launches very soon - July 29th. ("weeb shit, looks like trash")
  • Now we're heading over to the Squid Research Lab, to find out that Splatoon 3 launches on June 17th, with the first Splat-Test taking place later this month. ("launch a game in a franchise people care about")

Next headlines:
  • Explore the Milky Way and reveal the mysteries of the Reapers as the entire Mass Effect Trilogy comes to Switch for the first time this summer ("already played these")
  • Dragon Quest X launches on Nintendo Switch this September. ("weeb shit")
  • Fall Guys comes to Nintendo Switch this May ("wtf is this")
  • Everybody Switch launches this May! (servers briefly collapse as people rush to express their anger)
  • Fantasian launches on Nintendo Switch... later today! ("fml, give us some classic RPGs instead of this phone trash")

Shinya Takashi is back. We're around the 30 minute mark now, but there's even more to share! Starting with Retro Studios, who are hard at work on Metroid Prime 4. While we ask you to wait a little longer before we show you Metroid Prime 4, please take a look at this:
  • trailer rolls for Metroid Prime: Definitive Edition. Visually impressive, restored content including Meta-Kraid. Launches August 19th. ("can't believe there's no Trilogy, this is why Nintendo are anti-consumer")
  • Shinya Takahashi informs us that, because they have put new visuals on top of the existing geometry, they're effectively giving us two games in one. Therefore, this game will cost twice the usual RRP around the world. Takahashi smiles broadly, before inviting us to view some last announcements about your Nintendo Switch Online subscription.

• New games are joining NSO. Earthbound Beginnings, Earthbound, and Super Mario RPG will be available for subscribers shortly after this presentation ends. Subscribers to NSO + Expansion Pack, that is.
  • Mario Party Superstars is receiving DLC. Available to purchase later today, or included with NSO + Expansion Pack. DLC rollout begins in May.
  • Ice Climber 99 available to all NSO subscribers shortly after this presentation ends.

• Shinya Takahashi thanks us for watching. He's wrapping up, but Eiji Aonuma steps into view. Aonuma smiles. You're probably thinking I'm here to talk about the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Please take a look at this:
  • Zelda trailer rolls. Subtitle confirmed. September 30th release date also confirmed. ("why are Nintendo lying to us" "no way this game makes it out this year")

It's going to be a long day at work. Thankfully I get off an hour before the Direct airs.

When's it airing for you guys? It'll be early morning for me, so I'll be drinking my tea and blinking my eyes awake lol.

Andre predicting Everybody Switch will be its own separate announcement I agree with (even if Nate believes it will be here). It’s that EPD 4 type of title that feels like it’s in the same realm as Ring Fit, Brain Training Academy, Labo

10pm broadcast isn't as risky as 11pm, but it still means I'll have to deflate myself if it's especially exciting, otherwise I won't sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom