• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

News Nintendo Direct announced for February 9th

How do you think BotW2 will appear in the Direct?

• Long trailer

Votes: 25 5.4%
  • Short trailer with name reveal

Votes: 106 22.7%
  • Short trailer without name reveal

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Brief appearance/recognition

Votes: 124 26.6%
  • No appearance at all

Votes: 183 39.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Third parties add a lot of variety to the line up, where would Switch be if it had not been for the independent developers bringing some bangers over for instance.

But yeah, as much as I love the first party announcements it’s the third party ones where I get that ‘Woah, that’s coming to Switch’ feeling. I game predominantly on Switch these days so the more games that come to the system the better

This is why it always bothers me when people act like big third parties like Bethesda and Activision getting bought out by the other console manufacterers don't affect Nintendo users. Sure we weren't getting their AAA stuff day 1 but they were providing decent third party support for Switch, like Crash, Spyro, Overwatch, DOOM, Diablo, Wolfenstein, Skyrim, etc. It's the same eaxct thing with other major publishers like Capcom, Square Enix, etc

At least Microsoft is now promising to keep publishing Activision games on other platforms, but yeah.

Last edited:
This is why it always bothers me when people act like big third parties like Bethesda and Activision getting bought out by the other console manufacterers don't affect Nintendo users. Sure we weren't getting their AAA stuff day 1 but they were providing decent third party support for Switch, like Crash, Spyro, Overwatch, DOOM, Diablo, Wolfenstein, Skyrim, etc. It's the same eaxct thing with other major publishers like Capcom, Square-Enix, etc

At least Microsoft is now promising to keep publishing Activision games on other platforms, but yeah.

Defo, I still hold out hope we get more Bethesda games like a Dishonoured collection but when these devs get bought up it’s not great for the industry as a whole.

Defo, I still hold out hope we get more Bethesda games like a Dishonoured collection but when these devs get bought up it’s not great for the industry as a whole.

I agree that consolidation is not better, but Phil Spencer seems to be saying the right stuff so far about Acti-Bliz with their other franchises not named COD seeing the light of day again and Blizzard getting some better structure.

This is why it always bothers me when people act like big third parties like Bethesda and Activision getting bought out by the other console manufacterers don't affect Nintendo users. Sure we weren't getting their AAA stuff day 1 but they were providing decent third party support for Switch, like Crash, Spyro, Overwatch, DOOM, Diablo, Wolfenstein, Skyrim, etc. It's the same eaxct thing with other major publishers like Capcom, Square Enix, etc

Not all 3rd parties are the same. Actiblizz acquisition may actually benefit Nintendo

Still no LOOP8 localization news. You're worrying me XSEED, this should not have taken more than a day...

I’m still way too excited for Portal/2 on Switch
Portal's an all-time great and I'll get the combo pack for that alone. So much fun, intrigue and with one of the best (gameplay-driven!) twists in the medium. It's my favourite Valve game by a long shot.

Portal 2 is too bloated for me - they turned it into something bigger and more epic than was suited IMO. Then again, I'm the guy that prefers Terminator 1 over T2 and Mario Galaxy over Galaxy 2 so it may also be a genetic defect :p .
I dunno, that Direct was almost reassurance enough for me by itself.
I'm with you from a rational point of view, but the way this game has been marketed thus far is throwing me for a loop. Kinda asking myself why they brought out that initial teaser in 2019 in the first place... It implied a longer marketing cycle than they ultimately decided going with if they'll only start pushing it starting in June for release in Oct-Dec.

It's probably COVID-related planning shenanigans.

Didn't have a chance to get on for the last few days, but that direct was everything i could have hoped for!

Rewatching the direct and one thing that's annoying me during the Splatoon segment is a part of the egg throw. At one point they throw it in the basket and it goes in slow motion and it's clearly not gonna go in the basket but it just clips in lol

Once they fix that you will get a release date

Portal's an all-time great and I'll get the combo pack for that alone. So much fun, intrigue and with one of the best (gameplay-driven!) twists in the medium. It's my favourite Valve game by a long shot.

Portal 2 is too bloated for me - they turned it into something bigger and more epic than was suited IMO. Then again, I'm the guy that prefers Terminator 1 over T2 and Mario Galaxy over Galaxy 2 so it may also be a genetic defect :p .

I'm with you from a rational point of view, but the way this game has been marketed thus far is throwing me for a loop. Kinda asking myself why they brought out that initial teaser in 2019 in the first place... It implied a longer marketing cycle than they ultimately decided going with if they'll only start pushing it starting in June for release in Oct-Dec.

It's probably COVID-related planning shenanigans.
Galaxy over Galaxy 2 is the opposite imo. 2 lost what made it epic (level context, story, hub) and lost the sparkle, regardless of having “better” levels

Galaxy over Galaxy 2 is the opposite imo. 2 lost what made it epic (level context, story, hub) and lost the sparkle, regardless of having “better” levels
Oh I agree! My point was I often prefer first instalments over sequels.

(Let's hope that's not the case with BotW :p ).
Better levels was all that's needed honestly. After replaying galaxy 1 on switch I really miss 2. Hope it's ported soon as well.
I can definitely see that, and it's the reason why I've tried to get into Galaxy 2 time and again over the years. For me thematic and artistic consistency is more important than just raw level design though. Galaxy is just more engrossing to me.

I also enjoyed Galaxy more than Galaxy 2 because it had a greater sense of scope than the sequel. Don’t get me wrong Galaxy 2 is still a really good game but it just feels like more of the same, but without the grandeur of the first game. I know that’s ironic coming from a NSMB fan but I think the difference is that those games are all on different hardware which helps mask their similarities a little bit, at least in my opinion. Plus I only played the Galaxy games a year apart so the first one was still relatively fresh in my mind when I played the second. I honestly don’t remember much of Galaxy 2 since I only played it once over 4 years ago, and after replaying Galaxy in 3D All-Stars I’d like to replay 2 to see if I feel any differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom