• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Company Guide |ST| Welcome to Kyoto

LukasManak22

who the fuck is that
Ever since 1993, Nintendo Co. Ltd. releases yearly brochure for the prospective employees, when you want to apply for a job at Nintendo they give you this book. These books are treasures because they contain an exclusive art from Nintendo games, look inside EPD offices, various look at prototypes of Nintendo games, know and unknown employees, tentative logos from past systems including DSi, 3DS, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U. In one of the images you can even see that in the EPD5 (Splatoon team) they had PS4 on the shelf and Xbox gamepad too.
The prototype logos can be seen for various game titles as well. These books always take creativity to another level so every book is distinctly unique in it's style.

I uploaded all of the books I could find on the internet into one Google Drive folder so you can browse and deep dive easily into the world of Nintendo. Since Famiboards thread limit for images is 30, this was the only solution that made sense to me.

Here are some images to give you an idea, check the folder for the complete package.

2.jpg

5.jpg

10.jpg

pikmin.jpg

moon.jpg

3ds.jpg
3ds-1.jpg

nintendo-company-guide-2012-60.jpg

nintendo-company-guide-2010-03.jpg

nintendoland.jpg

nintendo-company-guide-2011-01-1.jpg

3.jpg

Some images are from the before mario blog which has some of these uploaded on their blog and others from @NintendoMemories on Twitter. I searched eBay and various japanese auctions sites and blogs to get even more images that aren't available anywhere else to really have most complete look as possible. Some uploads have almost all pages, while some only contain a few of them. It's hard to get most images from the older books.

1993 and 1998 version were made for investors rather than employees, the first actual book for potential employees was made in 1999, however I couldn't find any images for it, this also applies for books released in 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003. If I find these in the future I will update the folder. They haven't made a new one in 2021 but returned in 2022, hopefully we will see a 2023 version in few weeks/months.

These guides are treasure collectibles for some Nintendo fans and you can still buy select ones on eBay and elsewhere.

Last edited:
This is amazing, thank you OP! I've googled these before out of curiosity but it was always hard to find.

Funny to see the Circle Pads on the Wii U tablet in the 2012 documents. Looks like a really really late stick technology swap

@LukasManak22 One day I found this website with Nintendo promo items when I searched for old Nintendo Star catalog items. The website is in german but there is not much text and it is easy to filter. Props to the guy who searched all that stuff and uploaded it https://www.promotendo.de/?sfid=23
Maybe you want to add it to the OP. (But it is not a company guide or something like that, just official merch an promo)

Last edited:
1 interesting detail that caught my eye. In the 2022 company guide they have stamps on a passport that chronologically go through important works from Nintendo in Kyoto/Tokyo. I found it amusing they picked DKC as a stamp given it was made in the UK, over DK arcade or DK94 which wouldve been more fitting imo. (Though it is cool they acknowledge DKC)

1 interesting detail that caught my eye. In the 2022 company guide they have stamps on a passport that chronologically go through important works from Nintendo in Kyoto/Tokyo. I found it amusing they picked DKC as a stamp given it was made in the UK, over DK arcade or DK94 which wouldve been more fitting imo. (Though it is cool they acknowledge DKC)
further evidence for the "EPD has a contingency of westaboos who want to make a DKC" narrative

Tentatives logos from various years and multiple books. I love this stuff so much, hoping we will one day see how Switch logo could have looked.

image.png

I like how the new 3DS logo resembles amiibo since they were developed in tandem.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

3ds.jpg
3ds-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @LukasManak22 for posting all this info and starting this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All this info is super fascinating.

And don't worry, this thread will grow in time.
Thank you. I was wondering it it's thread worthy or should I make it as a post but these really are treasures. I will probably buy one of these very soon.

Splatoon 1 and 2 Director Yusuke Amano and behind him on the shelf the PS4.

Screenshot-2023-03-23-06-02-31-677-edit-com-google-android-apps-docs.jpg

Last edited:
ah, the 2006 version has some original Donkey Kong Concept Art. (likely because it was created during the 25th anniversary of that game.)
11J0_ubucbAQxTFYG5xyDtRafCRCsdjBY=w10000-h10000-iv2

1NPBEVJI197XyU3G3RwORIfpRJ8Kf0n3t=w1366-h610-iv2

1P_2fHi52HhKEp_l5bPQVzjY2RFwOslgw=w1366-h329-iv2
1Ky8cXH50WfA340YyltvjBJPrG5XV1CiH=w1366-h329-iv2

i'm pretty sure i've seen these images get spread around before, but this is the first time i've seen their actual source.

From the 2019 book, some faces I could recognize.

companybook2019.png

1) Satoru Takizawa - Zelda series Art Director
2) Masaaki Ishikawa - Mario Kart 8/ARMS - Art Director
3) Daigo Shimizu - WWHD/BOTW - UI Design, LABO
4) Shigeru Miyamoto - Creative Fellow
5) Yoshio Sakamoto - 2D Metroid Producer
6) Shinya Takahashi - EPD General Manager
7) Tsubasa Sakaguchi - Splatoon 1 Director/LABO Director
8) Kenta Motokura - 3D Mario Director
9) Yoshiaki Koizumi - 3D Mario Producer
10) Kosuke Yabuki - ARMS Producer/Mario Kart Tour - Creative Director
11) Takaya Imamura - StarFox/Tingle designer - left Nintendo in 2021
12) Eiji Aonuma - Zelda series Producer
13) Shintaro Sato - Splatoon 2/3 Director
14) Shuntaro Furukawa - NCL CEO
15) Hisashi Nogami - Splatoon series Producer
16) Keisuke Umeda - MK8/Splatoon 2 - CG Designer
17) Yusuke Amano - Splatoon 1/2 Director
18) Takuhiro Dohta - BOTW Technical Director / Technical Supervisor on various EPD titles
19) Correy Bunnelll - BOTW Programmer

Last edited:
That's really interesting, thanks for posting. I feel like your thread title isn't doing you any favours - I thought it was just your general guide to Nintendo, and I thought "I don't need that, I know the company back to front".

Maybe a change to "Nintendo's Internal Brochure / Guide" would help other people find it.

Apropos of nothing, I remember taking the train to Nara and there it was. Crazy how much of my life was affected by such a small group of employees in a normal-sized building.

The google drive link appears to be down:( can you please re-upload it?
Oh shoot, I must accidentally deleted it. Will re-upload as soon as I can.

EDIT: Now up. Also, they are not doing any new one for this year, it's the same as 2022's passport akin to 2020/21 situation. We need to wait till next year for new one.

Last edited:
No new company book for 2024 either, it's the passport with borading pass again like in 2022 & 2023.

Seems like the new one will drop next year with full of Switch 2 stuff akin to 2017 which was full of Switch. (just 3 months before launch).

Back
Top Bottom