• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News nintendo.co.jp is being retired, replaced with nintendo.com/jp starting February 26th (update: NoE also as of April 9th)

Noob questions:
  1. What are the implications of doing this?
  2. What does changing the top-level domain accomplish?
It seems like such a small change yet also something Nintendo could have done ages ago if it was going to at all. Putting my IT hat on, .com is used more for commercial entities in the United States. Shouldn’t this not matter to a Japanese company’s Japanese website? Or is .com merely a more common TLD? Just seems weird for Nintendo to retire a URL it’s had since like ever and in 2024 no less.

Noob questions:
  1. What are the implications of doing this?
  2. What does changing the top-level domain accomplish?
It seems like such a small change yet also something Nintendo could have done ages ago if it was going to at all. Putting my IT hat on, .com is used more for commercial entities in the United States. Shouldn’t this not matter to a Japanese company’s Japanese website? Or is .com merely a more common TLD? Just seems weird for Nintendo to retire a URL it’s had since like ever and in 2024 no less.
Really there is no implication on this. They are not retiring co.jp since they are using that domain to redirect to the new one and the tweet mentions that some pages will still use the co.jp domain(my guess is for any documentation where it just would be messy trying to apply re-direction rules like the manuals or any previous IR reports. My guess it's to keep it simple, since the japanese eshop already uses .com ( https://store-jp.nintendo.com/ )

I'd say it is because people would generally look faster for a dot.com site internationally in favor of a dot.co website. I can't think of any other reason.

Switch 2 is still being announced in March clearly.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Picture in tweet summarises it: Nintendo.co.jp is being replaced by Nintendo.com/jp. While some links have been migrated, it’s likely this will cause a lot of old individual game pages to be lost.

must be strapped for cash and can't afford to keep the domain
LOL If that was the case they wouldn't be keeping it registered for the redirect

The JP domain's HTTPS certificate expires in March (00:00 GMT on the 24th to be precise). This saves them a small amount of cash and is probably going to coincide with a website redesign that would've gone with the new hardware announcement.

We're also going to be getting an update to the NSO app soon too. No idea what that contains but it certainly feels like even if the new hardware was delayed the rest of the company is still moving forward.

Is something going on with the Nintendo FB and IG as well? I noticed the facebook.com/nintendo and instagram.com/nintendo URLs have been down for a few days now at least.

instagram.com/nintendo
I could have sworn NoA was using instagram.com/nintendo. I did a google search for the URL and found that they link to it in Play Nintendo video descriptions. It seems like newer videos on the main YouTube channel are linking to /nintendoamerica though.

edit: Also found a Tweet from the Fire Emblem account that links to it:

Not a fan of NOA's influence :(
The Domain of the US site already is nintendo.com/us. When they change this (and imagine that all their other sites like the European and other asian ones are affected too), then I am sure that when you access in future just nintendo.com, you will redirected to your language depending on what region you live in. Because at the moment if you access nintendo.com you will just get to the US site, with when not being in the US and trying to buy something getting a notification to search for your country yourself on their region page, which is not really an elegant solution.

With this change they actually lose in some way an America focus with their domains, so the opposite is happening of what you are suggesting.

The Domain of the US site already is nintendo.com/us. When they change this (and imagine that all their other sites like the European and other asian ones are affected too), then I am sure that when you access in future just nintendo.com, you will redirected to your language depending on what region you live in. Because at the moment if you access nintendo.com you will just get to the US site, with when not being in the US and trying to buy something getting a notification to search for your country yourself on their region page, which is not really an elegant solution.

With this change they actually lose in some way an America focus with their domains, so the opposite is happening of what you are suggesting.
Yeah. Having consistency across regions with their internet domain structure is more helpful as a global website than anything.

I hope they do this for the European websites and give them a face-lift soon. The UK website, for example, feels really archaic and isn't as nice to navigate as the American one.

There definitely are some benefits to doing this, at least from a cyber security perspective. Easier to manage common security measures if most of your content sits under the same [sub]domain.

I hope they do this for the European websites and give them a face-lift soon. The UK website, for example, feels really archaic and isn't as nice to navigate as the American one.

There definitely are some benefits to doing this, at least from a cyber security perspective. Easier to manage common security measures if most of your content sits under the same [sub]domain.
That definitely is another potential benefit. Bringing the JP, NA, and EU sites in line will make for easier security and maintenance. It could also make it easier to roll out things like game/series-specific subdomains that are built for international audiences from the ground up.

The JPN Nintendo site has a great section on the FE franchise and its history, for example. But the North American FE presence is severely lacking. If you go to fire-emblem.com, for example, it still redirects to the NA digital store page for Three Houses.

That definitely is another potential benefit. Bringing the JP, NA, and EU sites in line will make for easier security and maintenance. It could also make it easier to roll out things like game/series-specific subdomains that are built for international audiences from the ground up.

The JPN Nintendo site has a great section on the FE franchise and its history, for example. But the North American FE presence is severely lacking. If you go to fire-emblem.com, for example, it still redirects to the NA digital store page for Three Houses.
I really hope that then their Web-Dev/Content teams on all locations are then able to work together and can decide on things. It would be a great use of their resources of having I imagine quite a respectable workforce which they'd otherwise have to lay off. Because who'd need an US/European Web-Dev team or even marketing people who come up with their own content specific to the region, when the website is outside of content localization mainly handled by Japan?

I fear a bit that the individuality gets lost even more, I mean Nintendo's approach of more uniform marketing started essentially with the Switch. Though I imagine that they probably rather want to have more control from one centralized place (Japan).

It's important to mention that the tweet says that this doesn't apply to all pages, so it's not just a general domain redirection (which could cause issues if the server using .com doesn't have those resources)

LOL If that was the case they wouldn't be keeping it registered for the redirect

The JP domain's HTTPS certificate expires in March (00:00 GMT on the 24th to be precise). This saves them a small amount of cash and is probably going to coincide with a website redesign that would've gone with the new hardware announcement.

We're also going to be getting an update to the NSO app soon too. No idea what that contains but it certainly feels like even if the new hardware was delayed the rest of the company is still moving forward.
Do you have more information on the NSO app update? I don't remember hearing about that. Was that announced somewhere, and is this about the smartphone app specifically?

Do you have more information on the NSO app update? I don't remember hearing about that. Was that announced somewhere, and is this about the smartphone app specifically?

I was looking at the notifications in it today and there was a notice in there about an update coming at the end of the month... Which already automatically downloaded yesterday and it doesn't really seem to do much new aside from bumping the minimum iOS version needed.

In other words, total nothing burger aside from the coincidental timing.

I was looking at the notifications in it today and there was a notice in there about an update coming at the end of the month... Which already automatically downloaded yesterday and it doesn't really seem to do much new aside from bumping the minimum iOS version needed.

In other words, total nothing burger aside from the coincidental timing.
Ah, okay. Bummer. I suspect this concept of an NSO app has untapped potential. I've never used the app for anything except finding my Friend Code to share it.

This is happening for Europe and South Africa right now.

NoE as well New

Back
Top Bottom