• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Nintendo boss on company’s approach to new tech

Bishop89

Piranha Plant
Nintendo Everything
Full interview in Japanese

Furukawa indicated rather than pursuing tech for the sake of it, it's instead about "how they can lead to revolutions in the act of play itself."
Translation by Nintendo Everything
"While there is no particular technology we are focusing on at the moment, we are conducting research on a variety of new technologies. However, I believe the most important thing for our company is not seeking new technologies for novelty's sake, but rather considering how they can lead to revolutions in the act of play itself. The idea is that if we become convinced that incorporating a certain technology can provide customers with a fresh and surprising experience, then we covet its research more strongly, making investments when necessary as well."

I imagine Nintendo is testing around with things like VR and AR, along with other ideas for unique gaming experiences. It doesn't have to strictly be like the wii or 3ds, things like the wii balance board and labo would also qualify under that comment.

“It’s What You Do With It That Counts…”

It shouldn’t really be that revolutionary a statement in the tech world, but somehow, it is… He’s so correct, too, by the way.

Even if it's nothing new, it's refreshing to witness this stance in contrast to the constant (mostly) tech race between the other two.

I am glad that still is the company philosophy. In an age of what feels like tech bro encroachment on everything, my old ass finds solace in this turtle.

I imagine Nintendo is testing around with things like VR and AR, along with other ideas for unique gaming experiences. It doesn't have to strictly be like the wii or 3ds, things like the wii balance board and labo would also qualify under that comment.
I fully believe that Nintendo will be the ones to push VR into the maintstream, Virtual Boy aside.

as long as the tech they have for the hardware is additive to the current Switch concept rather than disruptive I'm all for new ideas.

Last edited:
It's going to be really hard to come up with one moving forward as any innovation needs to be usable in handheld and docked mode to be utilized by devs and that introduces a lot of limitations.

It's going to be really hard to come up with one moving forward as any innovation needs to be usable in handheld and docked mode to be utilized by devs and that introduces a lot of limitations.
Well we've already seen the potential for VR using the Switch itself. Not a comfortable high end device for sure, but as an entry level VR thing on the cheap, not a bad idea.

The next device could improve that usability well.

Well we've already seen the potential for VR using the Switch itself. Not a comfortable high end device for sure, but as an entry level VR thing on the cheap, not a bad idea.

The next device could improve that usability well.

1. That is not usable in docked mode
2. No one cared about Labo VR at all, it's way too low-powered, low res, low framerate, and heavy to be usable.

1. That is not usable in docked mode
2. No one cared about Labo VR at all, it's way too low-powered, low res, low framerate, and heavy to be usable.
The point wouldnt be for it to be a high end anything just an entry level VR bonus. Currently its unusable but Drake may be able to get it to minimal functionality as an idea.

The point wouldnt be for it to be a high end anything just an entry level VR bonus. Currently its unusable but Drake may be able to get it to minimal functionality as an idea.

I'm extremely doubtful Nintendo has the Switch 2 have foveated rendering built into the screen just for VR and gives it a screen that can have a refresh rate of 120 Hz or 90 Hz.

It also isn't going to be usable at all in terms of size and weight if the rumors about the Switch 2 being 12% to 30% bigger than the Switch 1 are true.

I'm extremely doubtful Nintendo has the Switch 2 have foveated rendering built into the screen just for VR and gives it a screen that can have a refresh rate of 120 Hz or 90 Hz.
Again, a bonus. Its not like the Switch 2 would be custom built for it, but as a temporary gimmick it seems fine. For those on and off experiments.

You are dead set on it being all or nothing yet I don't see why a bonus is so hard. You wouldn't buy Switch 2 for it, but it is a neat side thing.

Again, a bonus. Its not like the Switch 2 would be custom built for it, but as a temporary gimmick it seems fine. For those on and off experiments.

You are dead set on it being all or nothing yet I don't see why a bonus is so hard. You wouldn't buy Switch 2 for it, but it is a neat side thing.

I just don't see this being any much more successful than Labo VR (which was not very successful) and it may be less usable and successful than Labo VR if the rumors about the Switch 2 being 12% to 30% larger (12% being if it has the OLED's bezel ratio, 30% being if it has the original Switch's bezel ratio) than the Switch 1 are true.

If Labo VR taught us anything it’s that Nintendo are not gonna dedicate much resources this way. If people want Nintendo to do VR then resources need to be dedicated along with taking it seriously. Being a bonus does nothing other than waste everyone’s time.

4ea07b22-1f8a-4add-9591-69186a7afeb0_text.gif

Back
Top Bottom