• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Nintendo Acquires Shiver Entertainment from Embracer Group (Port Studio behind Mortal Kombat 1 on Switch, and others)

That's true, this still just feels like a step above that to me.

Their MK11 port was pretty impressive, so I think they very much can work some miracles if you give them a proper budget and timeline.
I'd love it if one of the Nintendo-focused websites or YouTube channels did my homework for me and did a deep dive into Shiver's work on Switch. It'd be great to see someone break it down and analyze their accomplishments. I imagine Nintendo saw that potential with them.
Sorry, should have been more clear. I didn't mean there was a direct connection with Gio Corsi, or at least I don't think there is anyway. I was speaking broadly about Shiver's John Schappert, former EA and Zynga executive, and Jason Andersen. They previously founded Tiburon, which eventually became the primary dev for Madden from the 90s onwards, and are one of EA's most important studios.

Point being that's a lot of experience with AAA development and publishing that seems useful for what Gio Corsi is working on for Nintendo. Certainly also if they plan to grow this studio, the leadership is already there to handle a large studio. Or maybe Nintendo is going to get back into sports sims down the road lol.
Ah, no worries. I actually understood you weren't necessarily suggesting that strong of a tie with Gio Corsi. I mostly didn't know who the founders of Shiver were that you were referring to. Thank you for providing their names and history! Gio Corsi is a name I know I can easily research that I recognize but don't know as much about as I should if I'm posting on a Nintendo fan forum. Thank you for the response!

I speculated in the other thread that they can go many directions with this.
If Shiver is to be kept as a port studio, they can provide support to third parties as the games are being developed to ensure the Switch port is timely and/or is good.

For larger non-indie titles, With a few exceptions, Switch often got ports a year or so late, which really isn't an issue for Switch, because of its market position and wide understanding of the power gap between it and the other home consoles, but with the closing of the power gap, i think fans will be a little less forgiving if multiplats have the Switch SKU late; furthmore, the volume of 3rd party games will be much higher on Switch 2, whilst Switch often was more selective (for third parties) on what they bring over. Some devs may simply not have the resources to port down to Switch 2

Last edited:
they basically only drop pdfs which is the correct way to announce these cold corporate transactions
That seems correct from what I remember. I even tried looking and it is basically as you said.
Surprised about the news itself but also the studio in question. They’re so small, I wonder if that was why they were interested in them to begin with. Buying a hundreds-of-people-studio would have been even weirder in Nintendo’s case.
The most likely guess was that they were really cheap & Nintendo not wanting to lose out on a studio who ports big games to their system.

Welcome to the fam- gets shot

Pretty random announcement. I didn't expect them to buy any of the Embracer studios in the first place but if I had to have guessed it would have been the one they worked with before, Tarsier. But if they're looking to have an in-house port/third-party support studio for Switch 2 games this acquisition makes more sense. At the very least this should be good for the employees.

People always think it’s bad to acquire. No. It’s. Not.

It depends on who’s doing it and for what reason. When Nintendo does it it’s for a good reason and we know they don’t shut down studios. Now, they have another American team.

Please refrain from referencing Hogwarts Legacy in any capacity. For more information, please refer to the banned content list. - Lord Azrael, Party Sklar, Dardan Sandiego, meatbag
Did people actually look at what works they've done? According to IGN site, they've only ported Mortal Kombat 1 and HL to Switch, and made Scribblenauts Showdown.

Interesting news to wake up to.

Completely understandable though. If they have knowledge on porting games to Nintendo hardware, that’s valueable stuff

Please refrain from referencing Hogwarts Legacy in any capacity. For more information, please refer to the banned content list. - Party Sklar, meatbag, Zellia
i wonder if nintendo is going to dip more into their warchest for acquisitions like this

also, kit ellis's take on the acquisitio:
Mod edit - embedded tweet referencing banned content removed

Yeah, for sure in a fire sale, and good on Nintendo that keeping a competent port studio that can be leaned out to third parties is a win for them. Let's see how they'll utilize them.

Clearly, Nintendo wants to help third parties port their games to the Switch and Super Switch. That's not a bad thing. But qualitatively, I have my doubts when I see the result of Mortal Kombat 1 and others.... There was a better like studio behind the Alien Isolation port, for example.

It makes sense, and much like Kit says - it's probably going to be a support studio to external developers to get them on the next system.

This seems like a good get to me. Low key, with positive impact.

I like it.

so it looks like so far this studio had only done switch ports of games published by WB. does WB have any upcoming games where a switch port could have been in development by shiver?

so it looks like so far this studio had only done switch parts of games published by WB to switch. does WB have any upcoming games where a switch port could have been in development by shiver?
Mortal Kombat 1 dlcs, multiversus, the rumored Gotham Knights port, and any legacy game, and for Switch 2, Suicide Squad, the Wonder Woman Game and existing games patched

Last edited:
Would seem to me like there are 3rd party games Nintendo had in mind for being ported and they want a studio that can help them get those 3rd party deals done.

I'm not saying, but I'm jus sayin .... GTAVI?

Furukawa, drunk on a Monday: Lemme see, imma place some bids on eBay hic

Nervous intern: No Furukawa-san! That's Embracer, not eBay!

Furukawa: oops

Not what I was expecting to wake up to, but hopefully they fare better under Nintendo than Embracer.

Shrewd business. I'd imagine they'll probably be porting western developed games. They obviously have a good working relationship with WB and know the Switch hardware very well.

Makes sense as a kind of Nixxes style acquisition to help with porting etc... I think it bodes well that Nintendo are aware of the necessity for port studios and them being able to provide the service or support to developers with porting games to their system is a valuable asset for them going forward

what the. acquiring studios in 2024? thought we weren't supposed to do that anymore
There’s a huge difference between absorbing other large companies or large numbers of smaller ones, and when the acquisition of a studio of 17 people, amidst the flaming wreckage of complete games industry incompetence that is Embracer, is likely a liferaft for Shiver that keeps them going in a similar way to what they’ve been doing. Does it benefit Nintendo? Well, sure. Obviously. But it’s not the same thing as locking up a significant portion of the industry.

With all due respect to the workers of the company, it’s an acquisition that is basically irrelevant in the grand scheme of things due to the size of the studio. At most they can work in what 2/3 ports at the same time? And they will have to finish all the ports they are working already for other companies b4 working directly for Nintendo

Great that it happens due to them being owned by Embracer but for us fans it doesn’t matter a lot. (and that’s fine)
I mean if Nintendo wants to they can easily expand the studio, a lot of unemployed devs they can just hire to make it into a large porting studio within a few years if that is their plan.

I would not be surprised if these guys are hired to port the 1-5 Million seller Jrpg's of Nintendo like Fire emblem And the Xeno series to Pc.
… I would be? As ‘Nintendo goes third party’ seems extremely unlikely, but even less unlikely than ‘we needed these particular 17 people in Miami to underpin our new multiplat software strategy’.

Cannot believe people are missing the obvious reason behind this acquisition. Shiver will clearly be tasked with porting Switch 1 to Switch 2.

With all due respect to the workers of the company, it’s an acquisition that is basically irrelevant in the grand scheme of things due to the size of the studio. At most they can work in what 2/3 ports at the same time? And they will have to finish all the ports they are working already for other companies b4 working directly for Nintendo

Great that it happens due to them being owned by Embracer but for us fans it doesn’t matter a lot. (and that’s fine)

Uh 2/3 ports at the same time is a lot if Nintendo is specifically targeting deals for very specific kinds of content (ie: top end 3rd party games they may not get otherwise). 2 or 3 extra big ticket 3rd party releases per year can definitely fill out a yearly line up for example.

Nintendo gives zero fucks about random Western dev teams, they'd let this studio drown and not even lose a wink of sleep over it, for them to invest in the studio instead is significant IMO. I think they are in active negotiations with some big publishers on bringing some big games to Switch 2 and needed a studio like this. Otherwise I don't think Nintendo would give two shits, they're don't hand out free charity to random Western studios.

I'll even go further and say I wouldn't be surprised at all if there is a very specific publisher and very specific game franchise that Nintendo wants on Switch 2 and an acquisition like this would seal that deal. Maybe that's Grand Theft Auto. Maybe that's Final Fantasy mainline. Maybe it's Madden NFL, but I think something is definitely happening behind the scenes.

Acquiring port studios who have worked on AAA games bodes well for potential 3rd party deals next generation. Wonder if they got them in a fire sale with Embracer falling apart.

the official note says: "This acquisition will have small impact on Nintndo financial results for the FY"

I bet they have been sold for very cheap: not surprising, considering Embracer situation

I wonder if the heads of the studio asked Nintendo to aquire them in order to avoid whatever Embracer would've done to the studio or if Nintendo proactively went for them.

E: Or Gio Corsi asked for something like this, in order to be able to offer thirds support for porting their games?

the official note says: "This acquisition will have small impact on Nintndo financial results for the FY"

I bet they have been sold for very cheap: not surprising, considering Embracer situation
Whatever they are working on now for Nintendo was likely contracted long before they were acquired.

I wonder if Nintendo has fate in the founders of Shiver to manage a larger porting studio so they will fund an expansion of the studio so that it becomes a 200-300 man studio in the future. That kind of expansion would lead to them being able to do multiple porting jobb at the same time in the future

nintendo can actually go after big games and port themselves.

They can do this with Rockstar, EA and even Microsoft.

And this studio is pretty good. They must be checking all boxes with switch2

I wonder if Nintendo has fate in the founders of Shiver to manage a larger porting studio so they will fund an expansion of the studio so that it becomes a 200-300 man studio in the future. That kind of expansion would lead to them being able to do multiple porting jobb at the same time in the future
If it's anything like Nintendo's other studios, Shiver will expand their headcount on their own. If they have the studio space, they'll want to properly fill that out now

Man, i would like to be at the meeting where the heads of the studio told the employees that instead of Embracer (of all companies), they're now under ownership of Nintendo (of all companies who rarely aquire others).

Man, i would like to be at the meeting where the heads of the studio told the employees that instead of Embracer (of all companies), they're now under ownership of Nintendo (of all companies who rarely aquire others).
Imagine moving from one of the most job insecure publishers in the world as of right now to suddenly move to a company famous for keeping employees. The sheer fucking euphoria of the moment should be studied.

I think these are good news regarding the future for both Switch and the successor. Clearly Nintendo want to push third party ports, which made me really curious about the switch 2 launch lineup.

Regarding Shiver, I do think they are a talented team and a great acquisition. It's important to note that both games stated on the press pdf were actually fully PS5/Series games, and not cross gen. In fact one of them never launched on PS4/One and the other got a last gen downport months after the original launch. I say this because porting native PS5/Series games to Switch is not something a lot of port studios do, and I can imagine it's not easy.

The acquisition is surprising, but I doubt Nintendo has any major plans for them beyond doing what they're currently doing. If we look at Nintendo's most recent acquisitions, Next Level Games and SRD, both were bought because the owners were looking to sell, and Nintendo bought them in order to maintain the status quo. Both companies now do pretty much exactly the same thing they did before, just owned by Nintendo.

In Shiver's case, it's pretty obvious that Embracer would have been looking to sell. They've sold off a number of companies recently, and are splitting the company into three groups. Shiver doesn't really fit neatly in any of those groups, so it makes sense that they'd want to sell it off separately. From Nintendo's perspective, although they haven't worked directly with them like they did NLG or SRD, they have benefitted from their existence, as many third party studios rely on outsourcing Switch ports to companies like Shiver.

Had Nintendo not bought them, the risk would be that they would either be absorbed into a larger studio, and stop their port work, or potentially even shut down completely. This would mean fewer options for third parties to bring their games to Switch and Switch 2, and potentially fewer third party games altogether on Nintendo's platform. Nintendo could pay likely very little money (as they seem to be only a ~20 person team, and have no IP of their own) to ensure they keep doing what they're doing, and I feel like that's what they've done.

The acquisition is surprising, but I doubt Nintendo has any major plans for them beyond doing what they're currently doing. If we look at Nintendo's most recent acquisitions, Next Level Games and SRD, both were bought because the owners were looking to sell, and Nintendo bought them in order to maintain the status quo. Both companies now do pretty much exactly the same thing they did before, just owned by Nintendo.

In Shiver's case, it's pretty obvious that Embracer would have been looking to sell. They've sold off a number of companies recently, and are splitting the company into three groups. Shiver doesn't really fit neatly in any of those groups, so it makes sense that they'd want to sell it off separately. From Nintendo's perspective, although they haven't worked directly with them like they did NLG or SRD, they have benefitted from their existence, as many third party studios rely on outsourcing Switch ports to companies like Shiver.

Had Nintendo not bought them, the risk would be that they would either be absorbed into a larger studio, and stop their port work, or potentially even shut down completely. This would mean fewer options for third parties to bring their games to Switch and Switch 2, and potentially fewer third party games altogether on Nintendo's platform. Nintendo could pay likely very little money (as they seem to be only a ~20 person team, and have no IP of their own) to ensure they keep doing what they're doing, and I feel like that's what they've done.
It also opens the door for Nintendo to expand Shiver and reach out to companies like EA, Take 2, etc and say "our Shiver team can help getting a port of Madden, GTA 5/6, etc running on Switch 2". Expand them, hyper focus them on porting games to Switch 2, reap the benefits of 3rd party ports coming to your system by owning the porting house.

They're most likely meant to be supporting studios for 3rd party ports
Interestigly, they went for a company that is small sized so they can scale their operations according to upcoming needs.

I think Furukawa has shown that he is far more open to acquisitions than Iwata was. But the logic behind the acquisitions will be very different from what Sony, Microsoft and other major players are doing.

Nintendo will use acqusitions to buy smaller development studios like Shiver, SRD, Next Level games. They will also use acqusitions to expand into new ventures like Nintendo sales, Nintendo pictures etc. So basically the acqusition strategy will be targeted and always at a low cost. They won't move into billion dollar transactions like Sony and Microsoft any time soon on the other hand.

But i can see Furukawa continuing his strategy of doing low scale acqusitions fairly reguarly the coming years. This also adds up with what Furukawa stated in the recent Q/A with investors that Nintendo will move to secure the development resourses they need the coming years, mostly from internal expansion but also sometimes through acqusitions.

Nintendo could also move to eventually consolidate all long term partners under the Nintendo umbrella when the older presidents of those companies are going to retire like with SRD. That means that HAL, Intelligent systems etc could in the future eventually all be folded into Nintendo, which would not increase development resourses but would just be a move to merge those partner companies into Nintendo proper to smooth the development process further.

Please refrain from referencing Hogwarts Legacy in any capacity. For more information, please refer to the banned content list.

Back
Top Bottom