• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Ninja Kamui: Shinobi Origins (developed by G.rev), out May 30 For Nintendo switch US/Japan

sagadego20

Paratroopa
Pronouns
He/Him

I've never seen nor heard anything about the Toonami anime Ninja Kamui since it was announced, but I've been keeping an eye out for the game adaptation for a minute, for one reason: it's being developed by G.rev, the studio behind the likes of Senko no Ronde, Under Defeat, Border Down and many other arcade-style games, almost all of which have been some variety of STG. (They most recently developed the STG portions of the ADV/STG hybrid Yurukill.)

The initial announcement didn't give anything away in terms of genre or format, so my presumption was that it'd be some sort of Senkoro reskin—their studio's been on the ropes for a minute and their last few works have been heavily derivative of existing games, and they don't have much else to scavenge from that'd make sense for any sort of humanoid character game—but based on what little info's available on these just-published eShop listings, it looks like they're making a conventional side-scrolling action game with some nebulous amount of first-person gimmickry. I don't doubt their ability to make an interesting side-scroller, and the mention of online leaderboards makes me hopeful that they're trying to maintain an arcade-esque focus and haven't been browbeaten into gormless metroidvania territory, but I gotta say, seeing the studio responsible for all the prettiest polygonal STG (not a high bar, mind) reduced to a game that looks the way this one does is kinda deflating.

Back
Top Bottom