• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News [Nikkei] Shuntaro Furukawa Interview - We're working on Switch games that are being released in the next fiscal year which ends in March 2025.

Ylork

Bob-omb
Q: Can the life cycle of Switch be extended further?
A: We are still working on Switch software for the fiscal year ending March 2025. The momentum will be sustained to continue expanding the Switch business. In the fiscal year ending March 2024, we will maintain the momentum of Zelda and Movie into the holiday sales season. In terms of hardware, we will maximize demands not only for new purchases but also for second units and replacements.

Sources :

Original : Traduction : https://famiboards.com/threads/futu...ts-before-commenting.55/page-1807#post-850412 :)

Please, go for :

• Metroid Prime 4
  • Fire Emblem 4
  • New Donkey Kong
  • And more !

:D

Last edited:
Eh I wouldn't try and extrapolate too much from this. Every year they say they're making games for the next year. For all we know he's just talking about Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion 2.

That's normal isn't it? Even with new hardware there will be games compatible with Switch. Same as there were PS4 games launching long after PS5?

The bigger thing here is the Zelda & the Movie thing about Holiday 2024 :O :O That's what's worth talking about.

That's normal isn't it? Even with new hardware there will be games compatible with Switch. Same as there were PS4 games launching long after PS5?

The bigger thing here is the Zelda & the Movie thing about Holiday 2024 :O :O That's what's worth talking about.
Why's that worth talking about? The Mario Movie and TotK built momentum early in the year and they want to continue said momentum into the holidays. Seems like regular typical corporate speak.

A lot of people have convinced themselves there's going to be a hard cutoff the moment the new hardware launches despite none of the current consoles having done that, and the 3ds not doing that either.

But yeah, technically this isn't news because we already know about several games coming that FY with Paper mario ttyd and Luigi's mansion 2

Q: Can the life cycle of Switch be extended further?
A: We are still working on Switch software for the fiscal year ending March 2025. The momentum will be sustained to continue expanding the Switch business. In the fiscal year ending March 2024, we will maintain the momentum of Zelda and Movie into the holiday sales season. In terms of hardware, we will maximize demands not only for new purchases but also for second units and replacements.

Source :

OP: That was my translation verbatim, and I sourced the paywalled article for it. I don’t mind people copying it, otherwise I wouldn’t have posted on a public forum. Nonetheless, would you mind linking to the original post?

I am shocked.

There is no way they will just abandon a 130+ million userbase, which has likely grown to 140+ million by the time the successor drops.

They will continue to make Switch games in the following fiscal year, too. As long as it is feasible to run on the old gen, no point in making it exclusive to the new one.

I mean, we knew this would happen, they won’t just drop Switch support the day Switch 2 launches, I’m sure we’ll still see some releases even in FY ending March 2026 if the user base haven’t all migrated to the new console for whatever reason.

OP: That was my translation verbatim, and I sourced the paywalled article for it. I don’t mind people copying it, otherwise I wouldn’t have posted on a public forum. Nonetheless, would you mind linking to the original post?

I've added the link to your personal translation.

Eh I wouldn't try and extrapolate too much from this. Every year they say they're making games for the next year. For all we know he's just talking about Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion 2.

I hope there will be more games than these 2 remasters.

Many have thought that Nintendo will stop supporting Switch as soon as the new one will be released. Fortunately, this is not the case.

Why do people pretend this is new info as far as the transition period is concerned? Everyone knows there will be a couple of years of overlap between Switch 1 and Switch 2.

Many have thought that Nintendo will stop supporting Switch as soon as the new one will be released. Fortunately, this is not the case.
Not every opinion is worth paying attention to, especially when it’s based on absolutely nothing.

I hope one of those games is a new Dr. Mario, and it should be a major step for the series (like Dr. Mario 64 was from the original Dr. Mario) instead of the recent digital games that have miniscule improvements. More playable Mario all-star cast would be a start.

Thank you for reading.

He’s either saying this because he was asked, or they suspect a fear in the industry that they will not continue to support it when Switch 2 launches. I’ve heard the sentiment a few times in the last couple weeks and I’m just a regular gamer internet person.

Metroid Prime 4 too is officially announced and not planned for a 2023 release, so probably we have at least three games officially known, coming in the next FY

It would be nice if Nintendo supported the Switch for some years like SONY does with the PlayStation 4, but I dunno...

The only shocking bit of information is that Furukawa specifically mentioned until the Fiscal Year ending in March 2025. Meaning the Switch will have first party software support for another year and five months, which seems rather short compared to the 3DS

The only shocking bit of information is that Furukawa specifically mentioned until the Fiscal Year ending in March 2025. Meaning the Switch will have first party software support for another year and five months, which seems rather short compared to the 3DS
More than enough time to catch and surpass ps2.
LETS GO!

I'm just shocked that people would have naturally thought Switch would be immediately discontinued with the release of the next console. I mean, they still expect to sell more consoles of just Switch this fiscal year than the entirety of Wii U in its lifetime. Switch's cross-generational support is going to be around for at least two years after nuSwitch, or I'll eat my shorts

Games were still released for NES when SNES was announced, and just the same for SNES when N64 came about. The precedence of consoles having a hard cut from N64 -> GCN, GCN -> Wii, and Wii U -> Switch is because all support for the former had dried up.

And I mean, if Switch is considered more of a handheld console, then I can't think of a single time when Gameboy, Color, Advance, or DS weren't supported when their successors were released. Again, the only exception is the 3DS, but given it was almost as anemic as Wii U when the Switch was released I can't imagine anyone being surprised in hindsight.

Look, I'm not saying the Switch won't continue to get support for a while - but all they have to do for this statement to be true is release a game on April 1st, 2024. They have software releasing in the fiscal year ending in March 2025; that doesn't mean they actually have software all the way through March, just that they'll have some software in the range of April 1st-March 31st.

This answer is a giant nothing statement.

prolonged first-party support for the switch 1 after the switch 2 is out would be hugely damaging to the latter. I think besides a few holdovers from the development transition and pokemon stuff they'll afford the new system the privilege of being the place for new nintendo games immediately

Quoted by: Joe
Eh, it's possible that they could have more games for the rest of 2025. I think it's too early to definitively state how long the crossover period will be when we don't know when the next system is launching, much less what the lineup will look like.

Doesn't shock me that the Switch will continue getting games in 2025, even if the next console comes out next year. Every Nintendo handheld has a bit of a holdover period where they try to give the owners of the old thing some stuff even though the focus is obviously on the new thing.
With the 3DS it was a lot of remakes and smaller titles, and that looks to be the case again here, at least going by the last direct.
Definitely went on a bit too long with the 3DS, but I assume backwards compatibility would help the post-"Switch 2" games on Switch not be bombs.

The PlayStation 4 is still being produced and there's plenty of software being released for it as well. And that's what I meant; will that be the case for the Switch too?
It's funny you say that, because Sony's support of the PS4's production after the PS5 was released was extremely minimal. The PS4 shipped 115 million by the time the PS5 was on the market and then only shipped 2.5 million in the next one and a half years. That's not because demand declined that drastically (that'd basically be impossible), that's because Sony just stopped producing that many of them. To be fair, that largely has to do with COVID and the chip shortages, they needed to prioritize PS5, but Playstation 4 from a hardware perspective actually wasn't supported well by Sony at all.

As for software, it's really up to third parties. Sony released their last major PS4 game 2 years after the console was replaced, and Nintendo basically did the same thing with Mario + Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story and Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn. So the discrepancy here will be really on third parties.

You realize this isn't new information right? They've already announced two games for FY24-25 - the Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario remasters

prolonged first-party support for the switch 1 after the switch 2 is out would be hugely damaging to the latter. I think besides a few holdovers from the development transition and pokemon stuff they'll afford the new system the privilege of being the place for new nintendo games immediately

If Switch 2 is fully backwards compatible, then this won't hurt Switch 2 at all.

The PlayStation 4 is still being produced and there's plenty of software being released for it as well. And that's what I meant; will that be the case for the Switch too?
3DS hardware was discontinued in 2020 so about 3yrs after Switch. I suspect a similar timeframe for S1. For software about 2yrs seems about right; while 3rd parties might stay on longer to canvas a larger audience while S2 builds up more of a base. Highly dependent on which 3rd party we are talking about though.

huh? why would that change anything?

...because you could play the software on the switch 2?

Like, prolonged support for the 3ds and ps4 obviously didn't hurt either of those successors, supporting your previous platform with lower key titles and/or cross gen games ensuring the people stay in your ecosystem before they buy in to the new platform helps your new one, not Hurts it. If you just abandon those players immediately, you've got zero guarantee they're not going to jump ship to a competitor.

The more cross-gen games, the better, in my book!

Less reasons to spend on a new system so soon =^)

At this lifetime stage, I highly doubt anything high profile, exclusively at least, will come from inhouse. Switch 2 is just around the corner.

switch 2 2025 earliest?

Nah Switch 2 in 2024 is still happening. As others have already said this just means they will support the current Switch at least to 2025. It doesn't mean it would prevent Switch 2 from releasing.

Most non news of all time
Yeah, I’m like, of course there are going to be Switch games released between Spring 2024 and Spring 2025. That period starts in six months time. I’d be way more surprised if they said ‘yeah switch first party support cuts off the day Switch 2 launches’ as that never happens, the 3DS was still getting games in 2020.

Last edited:
Why's that worth talking about? The Mario Movie and TotK built momentum early in the year and they want to continue said momentum into the holidays. Seems like regular typical corporate speak.
Sorry I guess I ve read that wrong. I thought it was referring to holiday 2024/2025 and thus I thought it meant more movies or zelda in the near future :/

I don't know why they'd make anything Switch 2 exclusive unless it just won't work on OG Switch. 95% of games releasing today are going to be fine on Switch. It's the graphical showcase games that won't go, which make up more than 5% of the sales, I'm sure.

Nothing new here. Give Switch 1 some scraps while people transition to Switch 2.

Ideally I'd like for everyone to buy Switch 2 on day 1 and abandon their Switch 1 but I can't mind control people

A huge amount of it comes down to active players vs people who have a switch, but it collected dust after they bought it for one game.

Back
Top Bottom