• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News NieR:Automata The End of YorHa Edition coming to Nintendo Switch on October 6 (UPDATE: reviews are out, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Catching up late, but glad to see more reports on this being a good port. Happy to get it on Switch; the price is reasonable, and 30fps was fine for me with Astral Chain.

Looking forward to getting around to Automata a little later this year.

unrelated but its kinda funny to me that ps is the home of fighting games and gets preferential treatment but the biggest fighting game is on the switch. bit of a funny setup there.
Getting SFV as a console exclusive certainly helped, though I'd say PC is starting to take over the traditional fighting game scene. Still, the issue is that Smash sales don't necessarily translate to sales of other fighting games.

Getting SFV as a console exclusive certainly helped, though I'd say PC is starting to take over the traditional fighting game scene. Still, the issue is that Smash sales don't necessarily translate to sales of other fighting games.
They wouldn't hurt Street Fighter, Tekken and KoF sales though, given who's on the roster.

And a lot of time has now elapsed but for a while there was a sizeable fanbase eager for Soulcalibur on the Nintendo platforms due to Link in 2.

Would people in this thread, or in general really, be interested in an ST? The port seems to have a fair bit of buzz, and I would personally love to host an ST for my second favorite game ever. (As far as I know, no one seems to have claimed one)

EDIT: Claimed!

Last edited:
Would people in this thread, or in general really, be interested in an ST? The port seems to have a fair bit of buzz, and I would personally love to host an ST for my second favorite game ever. (As far as I know, no one seems to have claimed one)
Yes please. I think this and No Man's Sky both deserve an ST.

unrelated but its kinda funny to me that ps is the home of fighting games and gets preferential treatment but the biggest fighting game is on the switch. bit of a funny setup there.
It is but it’s not the same community, they don’t even consider Smash as a fighting game

Xbox used to be the home of fighting games during the 360 days since the Capcom ones in particular had much better performance in terms of input lag. The only reason to play fighting games on PS3 was the airdashers (“anime” fighting games, aka the arcsys ones especially), in tournaments they always used 360 for the rest.

Once Sony moneyhatted SFV it became a different situation, buying EVO doesn’t help either. Now the Switch can still be an appealing platform for this genre for two main reasons. First off, having a portable version of your game in order to practice execution on the go is a good selling point for them, you kind of had that with the Vita at the time. Second, it’s simply a genre that is popular with Nintendo owners regardless if it’s the version used in tournaments or not. After all, an outdated version of SFIV sold over a million on 3DS. That being said, besides a few select popular ones like DBFZ it’s just not worth the investment for them, especially smaller companies. They are all chasing the esports money, why bother optimising your game for another console when you can just release it on the platform that will have by far the most players online, on the one that is used for tournaments. So while it seems silly that uglier games like the SNK fighters are skipping Switch it’s still understandable from their point of view and not really a huge loss, it’s honestly not even worth mentioning when discussing third party games that should have been on Switch

Now Namco fumbled the bag very hard and should have released Soul Calibur II on Switch, hell VI should have been on Switch too with Link, that would have easily sold like hotcakes but that’s Harada for ya

Not only is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate the best selling fighting game of all time, more people played as Ryu in that series than the one he came from in the last decade. But if there haven't been more fighting games on Nintendo platforms, that is actually a collective failure of 3rdPs to reach out to the audience that is clearly most visible on Nintendo platforms. It's wild that the platform which cast light on the Street Fighter Series hasn't had anything new since the 3DS port of SSF4 at its launch - That was a million-seller of a game on PS360, and it's proof that "MORE POWER" isn't an issue for this series. Furthermore, I don't see how it's anything less than a demoralising kick in the teeth that this was followed up with a "Test" title in USF2 on the Switch. How is that not a step backwards? How is SF6 skipping the Switch at all? Dead Or Alive also existed on the 3DS, but it had no meaningful history on Nintendo platforms before that, so, it begs the question "What did its publisher do to make it succeed?" - You'll find the answer was "Not Enough". Virtua Fighter has no meaningful history on Nintendo platforms, but you would've thought they had more to show than a few Mii costumes in Smash. It's BS that Soul Calibur hasn't appeared on a Nintendo platform since the second one on the GameCube, which, by the way, sold best on Western shores (the power of Link as your exclusive character, right?) - No building on that. Pokken Tournament has been a million seller on Wii U and Switch, while ARMS sold as much in its domestic opening week as SF5 and Tekken 7 Combined in theirs. I'm also putting it out there that had MVCI released on the Switch, it would've seen favourable splits, that game's reception aside. It doesn't end with Japanese publishers, either - Mortal Kombat 11 was a success on the Switch. It even appeared in its best-selling 3rdP releases on it at the time. So, the history of success is there. Nintendo fans have either been ignored where fighting games are mentioned, or failed spectacularly by those publishers. or both.

Mortal Kombat 11 was a success on the Switch. It even appeared in its best-selling 3rdP releases on it at the time. So, the history of success is there. Nintendo fans have either been ignored where fighting games are mentioned, or failed spectacularly by those publishers. or both.
Ultra Street Fighter II had sold 800k in first 3 months and that was absolutely crazy. It's just a simple port of HD Remix but for the double the price. Capcom said they' were planning to make use that reception but nothing followed. More ROM compilations.

What more crazy is, 3DS's fighting game lineup was better than Switch's. From big series Switch only got MK and Samurai Shodown, while 3DS had SF4, Tekken, Dead or Alive. Even more crazy thing is Vita's lineup: UMvC3, Sf x Tekken, Dead or Alive 6, Injustice and Mortal Kombat.

Not only is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate the best selling fighting game of all time, more people played as Ryu in that series than the one he came from in the last decade. But if there haven't been more fighting games on Nintendo platforms, that is actually a collective failure of 3rdPs to reach out to the audience that is clearly most visible on Nintendo platforms. It's wild that the platform which cast light on the Street Fighter Series hasn't had anything new since the 3DS port of SSF4 at its launch - That was a million-seller of a game on PS360, and it's proof that "MORE POWER" isn't an issue for this series. Furthermore, I don't see how it's anything less than a demoralising kick in the teeth that this was followed up with a "Test" title in USF2 on the Switch. How is that not a step backwards? How is SF6 skipping the Switch at all? Dead Or Alive also existed on the 3DS, but it had no meaningful history on Nintendo platforms before that, so, it begs the question "What did its publisher do to make it succeed?" - You'll find the answer was "Not Enough". Virtua Fighter has no meaningful history on Nintendo platforms, but you would've thought they had more to show than a few Mii costumes in Smash. It's BS that Soul Calibur hasn't appeared on a Nintendo platform since the second one on the GameCube, which, by the way, sold best on Western shores (the power of Link as your exclusive character, right?) - No building on that. Pokken Tournament has been a million seller on Wii U and Switch, while ARMS sold as much in its domestic opening week as SF5 and Tekken 7 Combined in theirs. I'm also putting it out there that had MVCI released on the Switch, it would've seen favourable splits, that game's reception aside. It doesn't end with Japanese publishers, either - Mortal Kombat 11 was a success on the Switch. It even appeared in its best-selling 3rdP releases on it at the time. So, the history of success is there. Nintendo fans have either been ignored where fighting games are mentioned, or failed spectacularly by those publishers. or both.
I admittedly only read about half of this but SF6 ain't running on the Switch while still looking presentable.

Ultra Street Fighter II had sold 800k in first 3 months and that was absolutely crazy. It's just a simple port of HD Remix but for the double the price. Capcom said they' were planning to make use that reception but nothing followed. More ROM compilations.

What more crazy is, 3DS's fighting game lineup was better than Switch's. From big series Switch only got MK and Samurai Shodown, while 3DS had SF4, Tekken, Dead or Alive. Even more crazy thing is Vita's lineup: UMvC3, Sf x Tekken, Dead or Alive 6, Injustice and Mortal Kombat.
Capcom afterwards port SF30th collection to Switch, that was the first time SFIII arrived at a Nintendo console. They also port recently Hyper SF2 so I think they see a market of SF games on nintendo system. I think there is a big chance SF6 gets ported to next system sometime in the future.

Regarding Tekken, Nintendo made a collaboration for Smash so I think they will try to push hard again B-N to have a somekind of Tekken in their next HW sooner than later. Wouldn’t surprised me if one of their first announcements when they present their next HW is a Tekken 7 complete version + 8 (just the logo).

Nintendo has clearly interested on getting all mayor japanese IPs. This year we got modern Nier, Persona, Kingdom Hearts and Resident Evil (last 2 via cloud sadly), so yeah, I think the next natural step may be Bandai-Namco biggest IPs; Souls/Elder Ring and Tekken.

It is but it’s not the same community, they don’t even consider Smash as a fighting game

Xbox used to be the home of fighting games during the 360 days since the Capcom ones in particular had much better performance in terms of input lag. The only reason to play fighting games on PS3 was the airdashers (“anime” fighting games, aka the arcsys ones especially), in tournaments they always used 360 for the rest.

Once Sony moneyhatted SFV it became a different situation, buying EVO doesn’t help either. Now the Switch can still be an appealing platform for this genre for two main reasons. First off, having a portable version of your game in order to practice execution on the go is a good selling point for them, you kind of had that with the Vita at the time. Second, it’s simply a genre that is popular with Nintendo owners regardless if it’s the version used in tournaments or not. After all, an outdated version of SFIV sold over a million on 3DS. That being said, besides a few select popular ones like DBFZ it’s just not worth the investment for them, especially smaller companies. They are all chasing the esports money, why bother optimising your game for another console when you can just release it on the platform that will have by far the most players online, on the one that is used for tournaments. So while it seems silly that uglier games like the SNK fighters are skipping Switch it’s still understandable from their point of view and not really a huge loss, it’s honestly not even worth mentioning when discussing third party games that should have been on Switch
Yeah, there's a lot of toxic elitism about Smash in the broader FGC, which is pretty amusing as more and more Smash-style mechanics make their way into traditional fighters.

I disagree with the lack of modern fighting games on Switch not being a huge loss, as I think the platform has a lot of potential for the genre beyond just getting some extra sales. However, there needs to be improvements from both Nintendo (controls, hardware) and third parties (day-and-date releases, crossplay as standard) before that happens.

Yea! I should be playing the game at launch next week, so a ST would be cool.

October is so fucking packed. I may hold off and cancel my pre order for this since I have it on PS4 (barely played cause TV lol) but this month is rough between this, Trails, Mario x Rabbids, Persona 4, Shredders Revenge physical…. Ooof

I admittedly only read about half of this but SF6 ain't running on the Switch while still looking presentable.
Except there is a PS4 version, and there's nothing on PS4 which couldn't exist on the Switch in some capacity. Then there's also the fact that this statement ignores the history of the Street Fighter Series. It didn't matter that the Mega Drive didn't have enough action buttons, it got its own SF2. Championship Edition, no less. It didn't matter that the 3DS wasn't HD, it had SSF4 3D - A port of a PS360 title, and proof that it could've existed on the Wii (But Angel, the Wii Remote & Nunchuk!! - Yeah, the Wii had support for GameCube and Classic Controllers, AND as mentioned, it didn't matter that the Mega Drive was lacking action buttons....). As for the idea it"couldn't exist in a presentable way", I say bollocks to that, too - In an age of scalability, and as history shows? It can. A closed arena 2D fighting game, where the movesets are going to be pretty much the same as the predecessors? When we have a whole ARMS taking place in a 3D arena, split screen, and achieving 60FPS? Are we still doing this dance about what the Switch "can and can't handle" when doubters have been banqueting on crow sandwiches since Witcher 3, NieR: Automata, No Man's Sky, and a host of other titles exist on carts on this platform? Oh, Please....

Except there is a PS4 version, and there's nothing on PS4 which couldn't exist on the Switch in some capacity. Then there's also the fact that this statement ignores the history of the Street Fighter Series. It didn't matter that the Mega Drive didn't have enough action buttons, it got its own SF2. Championship Edition, no less. It didn't matter that the 3DS wasn't HD, it had SSF4 3D - A port of a PS360 title, and proof that it could've existed on the Wii (But Angel, the Wii Remote & Nunchuk!! - Yeah, the Wii had support for GameCube and Classic Controllers, AND as mentioned, it didn't matter that the Mega Drive was lacking action buttons....). As for the idea it"couldn't exist in a presentable way", I say bollocks to that, too - In an age of scalability, and as history shows? It can. A closed arena 2D fighting game, where the movesets are going to be pretty much the same as the predecessors? When we have a whole ARMS taking place in a 3D arena, split screen, and achieving 60FPS? Are we still doing this dance about what the Switch "can and can't handle" when doubters have been banqueting on crow sandwiches since Witcher 3, NieR: Automata, No Man's Sky, and a host of other titles exist on carts on this platform? Oh, Please....
I'll rephrase: I don't think Capcom wants to commit the resources to making SF6 work/look presentable on Switch while aiming for a likely pre-EVO 2023 timeframe when they could just wait for Drake and port it to that device instead.

Also I just realized this is enormously off-topic so I'll drop it.

Still, the issue is that Smash sales don't necessarily translate to sales of other fighting games.
This is a self-fulfilling prophecy though, fighters can't hit commercially on Switch when they don't even come to the platform.

Smash isn't alone though, Pokkén DX and Arms also did quite well as do 3rd parties when they actually show up and put in the effort (MK11, DBFZ, ACA NeoGeo line, USFIV, etc). Switch is pretty hospitable to the genre, more than other platforms too at times.

do it please

So it's 30fps, or unlocked? I was under the impression that it was 30, but I've read conflicting info since.

Offical notes has it at 30 fps and 1080/720

But as you say, there's reports of it being unlocked at least in TV mode.. I'd just take the official words as the truth for now =)

So it's 30fps, or unlocked? I was under the impression that it was 30, but I've read conflicting info since.

According to spanish youtuber "Puerta al Sotano" it's 30fps stable undocked and a little bit more docked, he said he felt in docked mode the framerate sometimes reached 45 fps.

Regarding Tekken, Nintendo made a collaboration for Smash so I think they will try to push hard again B-N to have a somekind of Tekken in their next HW sooner than later. Wouldn’t surprised me if one of their first announcements when they present their next HW is a Tekken 7 complete version + 8 (just the logo).
I'm wondering if B-N considers Pokken their franchise for Nintendo systems? One of the retrospectives I've seen about the Dreamcast had someone from Namco talking about how Soul Calibur was for Sega while Tekken was for Sony, and I'm wondering if that mentality still persists to some degree in the company (even though Tekken and Soul Calibur are on Sony and MS systems).

Fuck Engels, I had to lower the difficulty to easy because of him and the extremely stupid "die in the first 40 minutes of the game, restart from the beginning".

According to spanish youtuber "Puerta al Sotano" it's 30fps stable undocked and a little bit more docked, he said he felt in docked mode the framerate sometimes reached 45 fps.
This is the best case scenario if true.

Stable 30 fps undocked and the possibility for 60 fps on a Switch Pro/2 later on.

Oh, they added motion controls? Not something I would've expected, but I might give them a shot.
Interersting to see they also liked the motion controls
Quoting from the review here, in case you're interested:

As for the gameplay, the biggest novelty is the implementation of motion controls. In this way, actions such as dodging or giving the enemies a good smack can be performed by simply moving in a precise manner the console (in portable mode) or the Joy-Con. We have really liked this new control scheme that, without a doubt, considerably improves the dynamics of the game.

I honestly had no idea that they were putting motion controls in this. If they had announced it, I completely missed it.

Quick edit:
You can also pet the robot that orbits with you using the touch screen when you’re playing docked
Holy crap, that's awesome!

Well, a late port that is reasonably priced, has stable framerate, takes switch specific features into account (touch, motion), and while having a stable 30fps framerate still gets to 1080 docked?

More then i could have wished for when i wanted that port. That truly is something to support, even if i dont have time during its release.

Bruh, these glowing previews are getting me so excited! What a damn impressive port.

I honestly never expected this game to come to Switch but here we are lol.

Ok who is this magical port team.

Because when I read a passage like this (from the really good RPGSite article shared above):

PlatinumGames has struggled to get less ambitious games running this well, the best example coming being its Nintendo-published action-adventure Astral Chain. That game was designed for Switch too, so to see Automata outclass it was something I’d never expect in a million years.

I start getting into FryWavingDollahs.gif mode

reviews
87/100

9/10

4/5

9/10

8.5/10

Ha. Virtuous is probably responsible for 70% of "imposible" switch ports. They have more then enough experience i asume, they already know pretty well where they need to start the optimization, compared to other studios that need to find out where most games struggle on switch.

Really does not seem as if im missing out on anything with this port, and if the framerate is really unlocked while docked...

then i could see this being a 1080@60 game on switch2. would make it better then the original version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom