• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News NieR:Automata The End of YorHa Edition coming to Nintendo Switch on October 6 (UPDATE: reviews are out, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m still on the fence about this… Never really cared about it before, but now that it’s on Switch and knowing it’s a PlatinumGames game…I dunno, I might bite. Is there any reason to preorder and get the game at launch? Like exclusive DLC bonuses or whatever? Or am I good to wait on it? October has way too many games coming out on Switch…

I’m still on the fence about this… Never really cared about it before, but now that it’s on Switch and knowing it’s a PlatinumGames game…I dunno, I might bite. Is there any reason to preorder and get the game at launch? Like exclusive DLC bonuses or whatever? Or am I good to wait on it? October has way too many games coming out on Switch…
No bonuses. You can get it whenever you want. I believe the Switch exclusive DLC is free for all time too.

Ha. Virtuous is probably responsible for 70% of "imposible" switch ports. They have more then enough experience i asume, they already know pretty well where they need to start the optimization, compared to other studios that need to find out where most games struggle on switch.

Really does not seem as if im missing out on anything with this port, and if the framerate is really unlocked while docked...

then i could see this being a 1080@60 game on switch2. would make it better then the original version.
they're also the ones who claimed "anything can be ported to the switch". big words from them, but they shown to be capable given the time and budget

Wizards. They reduced the size of the game by 3/4 of the PS4 version.

Maybe FFVIIR can fit on a 32GB cart on Switch 2. That would be a dream.
FF7R is one of those games I think can make the jump to switch more easily than most games. the ps4 version was quite well optimized to start with

No bonuses. You can get it whenever you want. I believe the Switch exclusive DLC is free for all time too.
Okay, cool, I might just wait for a sale then, assuming it’s not going to be a limited print that’ll sell out fast…

big words from them, but they shown to be capable given the time and budget
I would absolutely love for Square-Enix to right one of their biggest fuckups in recent memory and let Virtuos have a crack at Kingdom Hearts. I'm not coming from the "How hard is it to port some PS2, PSP, 3DS games" camp because I'm not dumb and understand they were using the HD versions as a base, but c'mon. There's absolutely no reason* for that series to have a cloud version. Well maybe KH3 but I dunno.

* Ok there was some speculation on Era that the Sora DLC for Smash caught S-E off guard and they had to scramble, but I don't think receipts have ever been produced to back it up even though it would absolutely track

FF7R is one of those games I think can make the jump to switch more easily than most games. the ps4 version was quite well optimized to start with
I think FF7R hits Switch 2 after Rebirth crashes and burns in Japan given the current situation over there.

I would absolutely love for Square-Enix to right one of their biggest fuckups in recent memory and let Virtuos have a crack at Kingdom Hearts. I'm not coming from the "How hard is it to port some PS2, PSP, 3DS games" camp because I'm not dumb and understand they were using the HD versions as a base, but c'mon. There's absolutely no reason* for that series to have a cloud version. Well maybe KH3 but I dunno.

* Ok there was some speculation on Era that the Sora DLC for Smash caught S-E off guard and they had to scramble, but I don't think receipts have ever been produced to back it up even though it would absolutely track

I think FF7R hits Switch 2 after Rebirth crashes and burns in Japan given the current situation over there.
I saw something about the sheer size of the pre-rendered cutscenes made the games so massive that fitting them on a cart or as an eShop download woulda been out of the question. Like they either woulda had to compress the hell out of them to a degree that would compromise the fidelity or.. something, I dunno. I dunno how you go about tackling PS2-PS3 games that were ballooned up to.. *checks* 150GB. Jesus.

I know I just got through talking about compression and optimization but that's, like, fuckin huge. And again, so much of it is pre-rendered that I dunno what video compression would do to get it from 150GB down to like 15.

I saw something about the sheer size of the pre-rendered cutscenes made the games so massive that fitting them on a cart or as an eShop download woulda been out of the question. Like they either woulda had to compress the hell out of them to a degree that would compromise the fidelity or.. something, I dunno. I dunno how you go about tackling PS2-PS3 games that were ballooned up to.. *checks* 150GB. Jesus.

I know I just got through talking about compression and optimization but that's, like, fuckin huge. And again, so much of it is pre-rendered that I dunno what video compression would do to get it from 150GB down to like 15.
I thought KH games did most of their cutscenes in engine? Or was that the "we're not porting these things so here's recap" videos that are frickin huge?

I thought KH games did most of their cutscenes in engine? Or was that the "we're not porting these things so here's recap" videos that are frickin huge?
I think they were on PS2, but not in the HD versions due to the source code being lost (and probably the animation data)

Huh. I wasn’t aware of this, but that would definitely explain why we got cloud versions instead of native Switch ports. Why wasn’t this talked about more?? I feel like it pretty definitively answers the question of what the hell Square Enix was thinking by only giving us cloud versions. Guess there’s probably not much chance we’ll be getting native ports then, unless the new Switch has much more internal storage and they’re only released digitally (or they require a significant download for physical versions).

The in game cutscenes in Kingdom Hearts remasters runs in real time, its not prerendered.

the ones that are pre-rendered are the "museum" scenes or whatever the video compilation on the menu is called.

something that can be seen in KH mods on PC, almost everything is in real time

The in game cutscenes in Kingdom Hearts remasters runs in real time, its not prerendered.

the ones that are pre-rendered are the "museum" scenes or whatever the video compilation on the menu is called.

something that can be seen in KH mods on PC, almost everything is in real time
Oh well then I dunno. I was just relaying what I had heard. 🤷‍♂️ Still dunno why it's 150GB though. Could it be uncompressed music and textures like was the issue in Automata?
that's still a lot tho

Oh well then I dunno. I was just relaying what I had heard. 🤷‍♂️ Still dunno why it's 150GB though. Could it be uncompressed music and textures like was the issue in Automata?
that's still a lot tho
yes, basically the same problem as most of the current games.

still, if they were released uncompressed, they could always opt for some games in the collection, and movies included in the collection, to be optional free "dlc" downloads, just like Ubisoft does with the Assassin's Creed collections on Switch.

But let's be serious, since the NBA games come out every year that force you to download a 60GB update, and they sell well, memory is not a problem to launch a game xd.

I hope that with the good reception of Nier Automata, Square Enix considers bringing all the KH in good condition to Switch with some native ports

Edit.
I add that there is a trap in that figure of GB, since the "collection" of KH on PC (1.5 and 2.5) are +-50GB

The figure of 150 GB is only reached if you add MoM(+-15GB on pc), KH3+Remind (+-60GB on pc) and KH2.8 (+-30GB on pc) to the sum. Which are modern games outside the compilation.
All three with poor data compression, to give you an idea, MoM on Switch is 5GB in dowload size, much smaller than pc version

Last edited:
if it's due to audio, then I wonder why consoles don't have dedicated audio decompression. this was a topic recently on beyond3d, I think, about how devs go with uncompressed audio to not waste cpu cycles on decompression

This port is reaping the reward of all those ‘looks like a ps3 game’ comments from 5 years ago.

Great game, might replay it this holiday when things slow down.

This port is reaping the reward of all those ‘looks like a ps3 game’ comments from 5 years ago.

Great game, might replay it this holiday when things slow down.
You know you’d think with all the throwback indies we get these days, “looks like a [old system] game” wouldn’t really mean anything.

You know you’d think with all the throwback indies we get these days, “looks like a [old system] game” wouldn’t really mean anything.
That and stuff like OG Last of Us on PS3 look pretty comparable to PS4 honestly. ND probably could've just did a straight 1080p port with zero changes on PS4 and it'd have been just fine I'd bet.

That and stuff like OG Last of Us on PS3 look pretty comparable to PS4 honestly. ND probably could've just did a straight 1080p port with zero changes on PS4 and it'd have been just fine I'd bet.
I mean, that’s basically what they did. They just also added a 60fps mode and later some additional modes when the Pro came along. Either way, the HD era has brought a lot of new and old styles forward and I think it’s unfair to classify games like that these days.

Gyro eh....if the steam deck version doesn't have gyro then my decision for a handheld Nier game is made up.

Good video to warm up waiting for the DF analysis. Seems like it's 1080p most of the time and very stable 30FPS.

Some cutbacks were made like they were design choices to me?? I mean, the color grading is different even. As in stuff being changed to save power, but not with it feeling like it's the game looking worse, but rather like it's how it always looked or if it was "another game" idk if I'm being confusing.

Anyways that was very impressive and I'm very much looking forward to play it!! Congrats to Virtuous on this amazing port.

Now I'm even more confused where this whole "docked it's running with an unlocked framerate" came from.
The video above and NWR's short look at the technical side both make it clear that it is indeed a pretty much locked 30 throughout with some slowdown in larger areas, but ultimately nothing all too major.
What's even more impressive is that the resolution stays pretty close to native output most of the time as well!

I will say, though, that, due to changes in the lighting, the Switch version does look flatter than the PS4 one.

Last edited:
if it's due to audio, then I wonder why consoles don't have dedicated audio decompression. this was a topic recently on beyond3d, I think, about how devs go with uncompressed audio to not waste cpu cycles on decompression
because most platforms have plenty of storage space for games, so it is not a priority to optimize the size of these in their development

Good video to warm up waiting for the DF analysis. Seems like it's 1080p most of the time and very stable 30FPS.

Some cutbacks were made like they were design choices to me?? I mean, the color grading is different even. As in stuff being changed to save power, but not with it feeling like it's the game looking worse, but rather like it's how it always looked or if it was "another game" idk if I'm being confusing.

Anyways that was very impressive and I'm very much looking forward to play it!! Congrats to Virtuous on this amazing port.

Looks really good even with downgraded textures, worse lightning, shadows and foliage.

Impressed how these developers manage to make these games look so good on a hardware that is 1/4 of the performance of PS4 in docked mode.

Who would have thought about this and many other ports when Switch released back in 2017?

My only complaint is the cover art being 2B and 9S without the blindfold. It was extremely symbolic to only have A2 with her eyes opened.

because most platforms have plenty of storage space for games, so it is not a priority to optimize the size of these in their development
That's sort of changed with the move to SSD on current gen but we still haven't seen AAA studios prioritize storage optimization or footprintin the least . They just expect you to constantly clean the fridge.

Huh, Pleasantly surprised at the $39.99 price point. I know it's way cheaper on other other platforms, but I'm guessing Persona 5 gonna be FU full-fat $60 (ok Google confirms this).

===

Wizards. They reduced the size of the game by 3/4 of the PS4 version.

Maybe FFVIIR can fit on a 32GB cart on Switch 2. That would be a dream.
This is probably one of my chief worries about New Nintendo Switch (the other being controller build quality and ergonomics).

I'm assuming :

a) the significantly enhanced fidelity will also demand heavier assets.

b) it is safe to say cartridges remain a lock

c) price of cartridges aren't going down much due to world cluster-frack issues (someone please correct me if wrong)

d) publishers will remain reticent to fork out the manufacturing cost for 32+ gb carts

So something has to give, right?

Oh man what if we are mosying over to the $70 price paradigm 🤢

Hope the onboard memory is at least 128gb.

Huh, Pleasantly surprised at the $39.99 price point. I know it's way cheaper on other other platforms, but I'm guessing Persona 5 gonna be FU full-fat $60 (ok Google confirms this).

===

This is probably one of my chief worries about New Nintendo Switch (the other being controller build quality and ergonomics).

I'm assuming :

a) the significantly enhanced fidelity will also demand heavier assets.

b) it is safe to say cartridges remain a lock

c) price of cartridges aren't going down much due to world cluster-frack issues (someone please correct me if wrong)

d) publishers will remain reticent to fork out the manufacturing cost for 32+ gb carts

So something has to give, right?

Oh man what if we are mosying over to the $70 price paradigm 🤢

Hope the onboard memory is at least 128gb.
The cart prices should be coming down since I'm seeing more 16GB releases on the US, even if limited like Bayonetta.

But maybe the 32GB carts won't ever be used in the US but they should at least use them in Asia/Japan. SE released FFX/X2 on a 32GB cart there so if they ever port FFVIIR to the Switch 2 then we should be good.

The cart prices should be coming down since I'm seeing more 16GB releases on the US, even if limited like Bayonetta.

But maybe the 32GB carts won't ever be used in the US but they should at least use them in Asia/Japan. SE released FFX/X2 on a 32GB cart there so if they ever port FFVIIR to the Switch 2 then we should be good.
Witcher 3 is also on a 32GB cart, including in the west.

Again, these are just a few games.

I want 32GB carts to be standard for the Switch 2.
I only indicated that TW3 is not the only game with that cartridge in a worldwide release

In addition, apparently, Bayonetta 3 seems to use 32GB cartridges.

Basically every gen sees a rom storage jump for mobile Nintendo hardware. 32GB may not end up the standard on Drake but I do think it'll be a lot more common and I think we'll finally see those fabled 64GB cards.

GB: 8MB max
GBA: 32MB max
NDS: 512MB max
3DS: 4GB max
NSW: 32GB max

Basically every gen sees a rom storage jump for mobile Nintendo hardware. 32GB may not end up the standard on Drake but I do think it'll be a lot more common and I think we'll finally see those fabled 64GB cards.

GB: 8MB max
GBA: 32MB max
NDS: 512MB max
3DS: 4GB max
NSW: 32GB max
Ni no Nuni on DS was 2GB IIRC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom