• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Nier: Automata sells over 8 million copies

I wouldnt be surprised if it is 1 mill on Switch eventually, but the legs it has on PSN and Steam are nuts.

Crazy how good the legs on Automata are. Only played for the first time last year and the success is well deserved.

It's really weird to me that there hasnt been a new Nier game since. Replicant remake aside.

It was at 6.5M at the announcement of the Switch version and 7M a month after the Switch release.
I'd wager that the majority of these 1.5M units are from the Switch release, but it's hard to know for sure since they dont share platformshare.

I wasn't quite able to get into this game (might give it another try) despite loving a lot of the elements on paper, but the longterm success cannot be denied.

It's really weird to me that there hasnt been a new Nier game since. Replicant remake aside.

It was at 6.5M at the announcement of the Switch version and 7M a month after the Switch release.
I'd wager that the majority of these 1.5M units are from the Switch release, but it's hard to know for sure since they dont share platformshare.
They know the series is pretty much entirely dependent on Yoko Taro, and a new console game wouldn't be made until he's ready. He's been pretty busy making other games since Automata but from recent comments it sounds like he's ready to start it.

Great results for this game, 8M is beyond everyone's wildest dreams I'd think.
I feel confident they are hard at work on the next one.
Yep, I think 1M is quite plausible. Amazing result for a 4 year late port, to contribute 1/8 of total sales.

I helped, too. Still need to play it, but it is on the list for the near future backlog questline.

Hell yeah, one of the greats. No doubt in my mind the Switch version added 1 mil to this number.

One of the GOATs. Success totally deserved. I'm truly shocked at the restraint Square Enix has shown by not forcing Yoko Taro to work on a sequel yet

Own the game but not too familiar with background of game itself - why did nobody see this coming 7 years ago? Surprise hit?
NieR and its predecessor Drakengard were complete non-entities held aloft by devoted cult fanbases, and even we never saw a sequel coming.

I was expecting Nier Replicant to be in this partner direct given the automata port's success on the switch. Seems like a no brainer
😔

Imagine telling people at the beginning of 2017 that Persona 5 and Nier Automata would both sell ~8 Million copies. Absolutely incredible numbers.

I hope Yoko Taro stops making these random projects and start working on a new Nier.
Taro is working on a new "proper" game which they hope to announce this year. It's not NieR though, I think he just never found a story/concept that excited him enough to make, but he has a new idea - I expect it will be a big game for Square in the next few years in their next cycle of games alongside DQ12, KH4 and VII Re3

Frequently get the urge to replay this, just can't reasonably make the tome for it. The last thing you do in this game might be my favourite level in any game ever lol

how many hours do I have to play to see all the ends?
The main endings, ~35
Bonus endings (which don't really matter and are mostly jokes, feel free to skip), 50+

EDIT: My estimate for the main endings included a lot of side content too. If you don't care about that stuff you can beeline the critical path in like 20 hours probably

I actually finished it yesterday, it didn't enchant me like it did most people but it was still a good time and a very unique experience.

It took me 45 hours but that's with 90% of sidequests completed.

Impressive, and good for the game and the team. This does remind me, though, that I'd expected Replicant to show up on Switch, and it doesn't seem in any particular rush to do so.

Somehow, Drakengard in general seems less certain.

I feel like this game single handedly kept Platinum alive the last 7 years. I'll get around to playing it eventually.
Heh, kind of seems like this and their Nintendo collaborations (of which I'm sure they are currently working on more).

Which reminds me ...

I hope Yoko Taro stops making these random projects and start working on a new Nier.
Yoko Taro needs to hurry up and collaborate with Nintendo on Metroid. The history and its ongoing ramifications of the world being explores demand it.

One of the few games I've bothered getting the Plat to. Really enjoyed it.

And slightly bothered they've done so little with the IP since, in terms of, y'know, actual games.

Taro is working on a new "proper" game which they hope to announce this year. It's not NieR though, I think he just never found a story/concept that excited him enough to make, but he has a new idea - I expect it will be a big game for Square in the next few years in their next cycle of games alongside DQ12, KH4 and VII Re3
Can’t wait!

I'm watching a Nier series lore explanation video(s) because I love the story but am still a bit hazy on a lot of the details, and damn...

I played not even two years ago but seeing video of these areas and events again and hearing some sound clips (especially the machine voices, the "kono mama ja dame" in particular) is really hitting me with nostalgia. I guess life has been pretty fuckin Life in the meantime so it feels like forever ago during a formative time and I'm almost homesick for Automata. Goddamn, what an experience it was.

LOL here's a fun bit, my first ever post about Nier:
Alright so I'm in a bit of a weird transitionary spot, will likely be moving soon. Currently have a neat little gaming spot set up that I've been very comfortable with, played everything from Splatoon onwards here. Not sure what sort of setup I'm gonna have at the next place (or if I'll even be able to set up for gaming at first), not sure exactly when the move is gonna happen but it's looming along with some other major life changes, and for some reason I feel like I dont wanna get into a game that I'm really gonna care about and get deeply invested in and end up being sorta destabilized in the middle of the game by the move and everything. So I figured I aughta find something in my backlog that I'm not all that into and am mostly trying out of curiosity, so that if everything in my life blows up in the next month or two it at least won't goof my game up.

So I guess it's time for me to start Nier Automata.

Notice this part right here:
I dont wanna get into a game that I'm really gonna care about and get deeply invested in
joke's on you, Younger Choco 🤣😂🤣

I was expecting Nier Replicant to be in this partner direct given the automata port's success on the switch. Seems like a no brainer
Still hoping for this to happen, given I enjoyed Replicant quite a bit more than Automata and wouldn't mind having it on Switch as well.

I hope Yoko Taro has earned enough cred to do whatever the fuck he wants instead of being leashed to a franchise forever.

But he better take Akihito Yoshida with him.
He can do whatever he wants, but it’s annoying he keeps doing these random projects and mobile games

i think it's only a matter of time before we get another game. i know that people will disregard Reincarnation because its a mobile/gacha game but, its certainly had its moments and, with the game ending in a couple of months, its concluding chapters have really bought some interesting additional lore to the series. I hope Yoko Taro can find more to tell in a new game.

Me too. it could still happen i suppose or maybe for the next system. Whilst the gameplay is superior in Automata i do prefer the story in Replicant.
As for the soundtracks...where do i start?! both absolute bangers.

Nier Replicant actually had you replay the same game multiple times. Nier Automata does not -- instead, there's a three act structure. The end of act 1 is Ending A, the end of act 2 is ending B, and the end of act 3 is Ending E (C and D play out immediately before E). Getting to E should take roughly 25-30 hours for a regular run unless you're aiming to collect all the weapons, obtain all the achievements, see all the joke endings, and do all the side quests.

(Act 2 does revisit a lot of content from Act 1, albeit with a different player character, so it does feel repetitive. Act 3 is entirely new content.)

Nier Replicant actually had you replay the same game multiple times. Nier Automata does not -- instead, there's a three act structure. The end of act 1 is Ending A, the end of act 2 is ending B, and the end of act 3 is Ending E (C and D play out immediately before E). Getting to E should take roughly 25-30 hours for a regular run unless you're aiming to collect all the weapons, obtain all the achievements, see all the joke endings, and do all the side quests.

(Act 2 does revisit a lot of content from Act 1, albeit with a different player character, so it does feel repetitive. Act 3 is entirely new content.)
you guys have me convinced. I think it will be the next game I'm gonna play.

Back
Top Bottom