• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News New Super Mario Bros Movie Announced

Ah cool and expected.

Hope the movie won’t be as safe as the original. Just get wacky Nintendo

I can't help but worry that Miyamoto is going to work himself in to an early(...ish) grave by still being such an active part of these. He's already older than Toriyama was, and while I can understand loving your work... He really should be leaving this kind of thing to someone else and enjoying his last years

Big meh. The original was fucking trash and they got back the same directors, from what Meledandri said.

It’s also the least surprising development ever, considering it got gazillion dollars at the box office.

Apparently Nintendo is co-financing this movie. Did they do the same for Mario 1? It was a big deal when it was announced that Nintendo was footing the bill for Zelda

I can't help but worry that Miyamoto is going to work himself in to an early(...ish) grave by still being such an active part of these. He's already older than Toriyama was, and while I can understand loving your work... He really should be leaving this kind of thing to someone else and enjoying his last years
Who's to say he isn't enjoying this? He seems so happy everytime he's on screen talking about it

Toriyama's death was a freak accident from a fall. It wasn't about him working too hard

Also there are people directing movies today who are much older than Miyamoto is

Nice, first one was a big success so not surprised to see them working on a new one immediately.

Also, it's funny to me as someone who pays no attention to pre-release marketing cycles for films that they announce the release day two years in advance. Not a video game developer in the world who would do that nowadays lol

He is enjoying his last years! I'd imagine this is less intense than game dev.

And there it is. The directors are returning too. I very much enjoyed the first for what it was, I just hope they....got it out of their systems a tad so they can focus a bit more story and character-wise. Proooobably shouldn't expect much though lol.

Nice touch
GIUCdfWW4AARR_d

Original was nice and enjoyable but needed much better pacing and played it safe. Hopefully they can fix both!

Happy to see this announced, and sooner than expected - though I guess being the 2nd biggest film of last year at over a billion would make a successor a priority.

I absolutely loved the first movie, though in my head I know it was probably only a 6 out of 10. I think the foundations from the first film are there - lovely animation, well crafted scenes, a good soundtrack and decent voice acting.

Just tighten up the script, slow things down a bit and get rid of the licenced tracks - then we're golden.

Last edited:
Predicting that the Koopalings will be the ones to bail Bowz out from his fate at the end of the original. You don't namedrop Ludwig on a piano without deliberately laying some foundations down for who could appear next time.

If the first flick was basically a speed run montage consisting of Mario Bros, Wrecking Crew and SMB, then this one will at least be 3+World, due to Yoshi. Maybe even some flashbacks to Yoshi's Island?

Mario movie was a real good time, even if it was not a real good movie. So I guess a sequel is the most logical decision in the world. Nintendo has only one console to power, but now Nintendo has Nintendoverse as an alternative source of revenue.

I doubt the deal with Illuminations will be much different this time compared to their initial deal, and I think maybe, if Nintendo has so openly claimed its greater involvement in the funding of the Zelda movie, It’s because they regret a bit that Universal gets the lion’s share with Mario.

The Kongs were my favourite part of the first movie so part of me hopes this turns out to be a DK spin-off.

I would not be surprised if the obvious spin off films (Donkey Kong, Luigi’s Mansion) are also in production. I don’t think there will be a three year gap after the next movie.

Would be so funny if this movie ended with the "wow, it was all just a dream" trope Hollywood used to play with.

because, ya know, reasons 😏

Very exciting. I loved the last one. It was tied with John Wick 4 as my favorite of last year.

Mario 1 has the thinnest story, the thinnest character development, the fastest pacing I've seen in an animated movie like ever. It's barely a movie. My problem is that the first movie is sometimes downright incoherent unless you operate under the belief that Mario has a flat arc. And since it's so thin, there's barely anything of substance emotionally-speaking to latch onto. At least it's the same directors so the action/visuals will be amazing. It's also the same writer, altho I'm not sure the poor guy had a lot of control over the final product.

I totally believe the first one was made with a lot of passion but the filmmaking process at Illumination killed what the movie had of compelling in favor of lighting fast pacing. This is especially evident looking at some of the deleted scenes. They breath more space into some scenes that the movie does in its final form.

I feel the directors/writer also probably didn't have a ton of choices concerning the execution of their movie. You must please executives at both Nintendo and Illumination. My only hope is that they may manage a better movie now that they have experience with both.

Leaked storyboard for movie 2 from twitter account @cartoonupdates. Legit btw. Account is reliable and the storyboarder name is legit
I was hoping for a direct sequel. Id be down for spinoffs too but we need to have 2 or 3 proper Mario movies before we start getting to that kind of thing.

I hope this means Mario and Luigi spend more of the movie together.

Looks like they in some kind of outside market and the cloaks either say they are in disquise or have been somewhere hot and sunny. I remember seeing Sarsaland on the map in the first movie so i expect going there and introducing Daisy may be a part of this movie.

Not surprising. I enjoyed the first movie well enough, but I hope this sequel fixes the pacing issues.

I mean... Was there ever any real doubt? The first movie was a massive smash hit, everyone was expecting a sequel. Just wondering how they plan to improve and build upon the first.

Nintendo/Universal took it down (which basically makes it legit)! Here's a backup!
Mm! Thanks for sharing. Wonder if that scene is part of the general narrative or just a small scene

Also, I wonder if the movie will be 90 minutes long again or they’ll aim for a bit more

I’d like to see wario and waluigi as the co-villains this time around. Maybe they can be creations of kameks, basically made to make the Mario bros look bad, and the movie is about Mario and Luigi having to clear their names or something.

Yoshi will be included some how, or maybe it will be about the brothers trying to get yoshi back to his island.

Lots of fun possibilities : )

Naturally. When you reach the peak, your only two options are to go beyond peak. Hopefully this time around it makes even more money so the franchise can be super charged with a whole new generation of kids that will buy games and toys and everyone else which guarantees me a steady stream of Mario content til the day I FUCKING

DIE.

I really loved the first film so I hope they go crazier in the sequel!! Pleaaaase let Rosie appear and have a big role this time.

Also April 2026 is way earlier than I expected!!

Naturally. When you reach the peak, your only two options are to go beyond peak. Hopefully this time around it makes even more money so the franchise can be super charged with a whole new generation of kids that will buy games and toys and everyone else which guarantees me a steady stream of Mario content til the day I FUCKING

DIE.
I want a Mario themed tomb stone, and I want to be burried in the middle of Super Nintendo land

I liked the first film very much. It wouldn't be bad to have Wario as an opponent in the second film, with a post-credits scene showing Bowser free and ready to return in the third film. Ok, maybe I'm running my imagination too far. 😄 However, I think we will see a greater female presence. Or at least, if there's a princess to save this time, it might be Daisy.

Back
Top Bottom