• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News New Sega Genesis games for NSO Dec. 15, 2022

News
Pronouns
He/Him/His

If you can't see the video, the new games are Golden Axe II, Alien Storm, Columns, and Virtua Fighter 2.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 new games for us all to enjoy. I know that many were wondering when we'd get more. I'm down to try 3 of the 4. Columns was never really my jam, but the others seem exactly like the games I like for NSO; where using the cheats offered by NSO let you blast through in 30 minutes.

Awful version of VF2, but in kind of a goofy way, so I'll be messing with it anyway. Wish we could get the 32X version of VF1, that ruled.

My inexperience with thread-making is showing. Sorry for the redundant threadmark folks! But at least I got the thread labeled as News now ;)

Virtua Fighter as a 2D sprite fighting game is throwing me off haha.

Alien Storm looks pretty freaking rad!

Was weird they didn't do anything last month. I don't have NSO XP but good to see they're still adding Genesis games!

Weakest Genesis update imo. Alien Storm's a decent port of a good arcade game, Columns and GA2 are both quality too but VF2's crap and in general these are pretty unexciting MD releases. When previous updates brought greats like Beyond Oasis, Shining Force II, Alien Soldier, Dynamite Headdy, The Wily Wars, Target Earth, Thunder Force II, Alisia Dragoon, etc, etc, I guess I just expect a bit more. Like at least one real stand out to sit with the filler here.

Genesis NSO is pointless. I have most of the games digitally already (including all of this month's). These games have been sold and re-sold already.

Sega needs to dig up a few Saturn ISOs and let Nintendo post them.

M2's emulation is generally more accurate than other collections that are available and the NSO service has managed to get a few unique releases even across two Genesis Minis and the Genesis Classics Collection such as Zero Wing. Not to mention the benefit of general NSO features, like rewinds and Online play with rollback. Which technically means this is the first Virtua Fighter release with rollback, as wild as that is.

That said, I do also hope we see some Saturn, Dreamcast, or Arcade emulation on the next Nintendo system. Though some Saturn games have been ported to Switch, it's possible that it's just still not powerful enough to be accurate enough for M2's standards. Especially since we know the reason they didn't do a Saturn mini was because it wasn't possible to make an affordable device that was powerful enough.

Alien Storm looks pretty freaking rad!
It's rad as a basically-free addition to a game subscription. If you spent £40 on it as one of your rare game purchases back when it first came out, it was really not rad.

Last edited:
The port of Virtua Racing on the eShop is amazing.
It is! Probably my favorite Sega release on the system overall after Sonic Mania & Origins.

But I still think the MD version would be a cool get for NSO. As well as the 32X DLX port eventually.

It’s awesome. It goes on sale often too, more folks should check it out.

As for the update, nothing looks really exciting. I’ll play Columns for maybe ten minutes, and I’ll try VF2 for the sheer novelty.

i'd imagine M2 isn't able to control what exact titles are added to the app, which would explain why this month's selection is entirely a set of repeats from previous Genesis collections.

OK, Now where is the N64 Game of this month?
most likely held back for Goldeneye's release next month.
they could quietly stealth drop it in the US as a christmas present, but the current situation is that certain regions (mainly Japan) have to go through the legal process of re-rating the N64 app. because the game has a higher age rating than usual due to the ability to shoot unarmed civilians in some missions.

Am I correct in that 20+ years after Sega going third party, still the only Virtua Fighters on Nintendo systems are Virtua Quest for GameCube and the emulated Genesis VF2 several times?

IOh my God VF2 for the Mega Drive hahahaha. I have to try this.

It is. I'd love to see Sega Saturn games get the same love. Fighters Megamix, Shining in the Holy Ark, Elevator Action returns, Tree Dirty Dwarves, Astal, Baku Baku Animal, Bulk Slash, Elan Doree... They have so many games trapped on their old 32-bit wonder.

i'd imagine M2 isn't able to control what exact titles are added to the app, which would explain why this month's selection is entirely a set of repeats from previous Genesis collections.
Presumably the lineup is decided by Yosuke Okunari, Kagasei Shimomura and the heads at M2 since MD NSO is the direct successor to Sega Ages and shares production staff with that and the Sega miniconsole line (MD mini, GG micro, MD mini 2). I think you can feel M2's influence too, at least in the shmup selections.

This update has some good games but on the whole it feels like filler without a real stand out. I'd say it's the first time though, all the other updates had some hyped classics or interesting deep cuts (Alien Storm is almost there imo).

Back
Top Bottom