• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Name a Perfect Game

Bioshock. Banjo Tooie. Sonic adventure 2: battle.

Not even my 10/10s are perfect. I guess the closest candidates would be simpler ones like sudoku, which don't have as high highs but have less room for flaws

The final boss is kind of bad…
It's visually one of the coolest enemy designs I've seen in a game tho.

On topic:
I can't think of one really. There are always little corners you can shave off or ideas that could have been developed a bit more.
Spelunky is close, I guess.

Metroid Prime is probably the only 10/10 for me

Lot of close ones like BotW, Wind Waker, Pokemon HGSS, Bioshock but Metroid Prime is endlessly playable for me and my absolute favourite game of all time.

Disco Elysium. It solves my problem with typical WRPG gameplay by mostly doing away with it, and the writing is beyond words. One of the most finely crafted narratives, period.

Yeah, a game element being intended doesn't make it immune from criticism.

BOTW's dungeons or enemy variety or even weapon durability are all conscious design decisions, but players are still allowed to have their opinions on them. Obviously, on the whole, BOTW's failings on those, or 0other fronts, as perceived by players, don't matter for much given the incredible acclaim and success the game has seen, but something being intended doesn't mean it isn't still an imperfection (since either the intention or the execution, or both, could have been wrong).

Coming back to the main topic of this thread, I'll submit another game:

Persona 5 Royal

It is literally awe inspiring how immaculately well put together this game is, there is not a single wasted pixel or frame.
It's hard to think of a game where I literally have zero complaints, and P5R wouldn't be in that either, which makes this distinction difficult. BUT in terms of being well-made and well-crafted, yeah, agree 100%. Persona 5 Royal, Hollow Knight, and Bloodborne would be my picks.

If I'm sticking purely to games with literally no complaints, then... yeah, maybe Tetris? It'd have to be something old and very simple.

I agree with Professor Layton, that's a really good pick. The Ori games with their buttery smooth movement really resonate as flawless for me. We've been playing a lot of Dicey Dungeons and it's so immaculately thought out that I'm struggling to think of any flaw I subjectively see with it.

Ooh Return of the Obra Dinn might be one. But, again, I DO have a complaint, it's just one that's so small and unimportant in the grand scheme of things that I think I would call it basically perfect.

16093-super-mario-bros-3-nes-front-cover.jpg

How is it possible that no one has mentioned Super Mario Bros. 3? I suppose one could complain that the NES version doesn't have battery backed saves, but from that level of nit-picking no game is safe.

Tetris. Not saying there aren’t bad versions, but if you get a good one like DS, then it’s just perfect. Intuitive, challenging, replayable. Basically covers everything you want in a puzzle game and never gets old.

First post nailed it!

How is it possible that no one has mentioned Super Mario Bros. 3? I suppose one could complain that the NES version doesn't have battery backed saves, but from that level of nit-picking no game is safe.
During my childhood, I find this game difficult I couldn't finish it. So yeah, major nitpick.

I can't stress this enough: Outer Wilds.
The developers intended it as a spiritual sequel to Skyward Sword with the same intention Nintendo started Breath of the Wild with; what if you could not just explore the levels but also the space between the levels.
It's a Zelda game without the combat, and pretty Metroidvanialike in the sense that you're not witheld by physical locks but by knowledge. The more you know the more the game opens up, despite everything being open from the get-go.

You get the sense of exploration, a damn emotional story, the best music and a flawless execution of that combination.

Its DLC elevates it all and really adds to the experience.

It is the one game that I wish I could forget and experience for the first time again. What an amazing experience.

It’s interesting how playing SMB3 with saves in later versions (or system-wide sleep modes etc or whatever) changed how people experience it IMO. It’s a very long game (for its genre, and for its time) if you play through each world piece by piece, unlocking every gate and beating every level. But at the time, on NES in 1990/1991 (US/EU), part of a playthrough was using the warp whistles and shortcuts to skip sections- I don’t think many kids sat down to play every single element in order as you’d have to do it in one sitting, and there aren’t many parents that would have been happy with that!

I don’t mean that it’s crazy long, but if you consider that it takes a couple of hours to play through all levels of SMB3 if you know what you’re doing, but you can run though Megaman 2 in 40 minutes or so and Castlevania or SMB in half that, it’s still a long time to go through the whole game without any shortcuts. I think my brother and I tried it a few times but would skip levels we found annoying or tough after a few goes. Which was part of the beauty of the design of the time, also why the route choices in Castlevania 3 were such fun too, or why the Warp Zone in SMB was so enticing (we’d skip the maze castles there!).

In comparison, SMW showers you with extra lives, losing them all means nothing and it auto-saves after each level, whereas SMB3 sent you back to the start of the world to continue after losing all lives if I recall. Still a beautiful game, to design such a variety of things to play with but allow you to skip the majority of it if you wish and even then still offer a comparable experience to other platformers of the time. No wonder it blew peoples minds and still remains a constant reference for platformers. It’s a magical game.

Last edited:
The House in Fata Morgana delivers the best experience a linear visual novel ever could I feel.

Sonic Mania +.

Monster Boy and the cursed kingdom.

Katana Zero.

Pac-Man Championship DX 1 & 2

Port Kid Icarus Uprising to the Switch and I'll add it to the list.

In the literal sense of having no flaws, not a single game in the world is perfect!

In terms of setting out what it wants to do and achieving it fully, I'm inclined to agree with the people who posted Tetris and Rocket League.

Tetris is self explanatory in how perfect it is.

Mario Galaxy 2 is also up there, I'd argue. It nails absolutely every single thing it sets out to achieve. The first Galaxy may be more novel, but Galaxy 2 is the one that absolutely perfected the concept.

I'd also make an argument for 3D World. It may not have the scope and grandeur some fans were hoping for, but as a collection of 3D platforming levels, it's pretty much flawless.

Insaniquarium, nuff said B)

For a more serious answer, I'd have to agree with Hades. Can't think of any flaws regarding that game!

I'd also offer XB3, but the map traversing visibility could've been better.. like hell would I map out that huge sea location.

Ooh Return of the Obra Dinn might be one. But, again, I DO have a complaint, it's just one that's so small and unimportant in the grand scheme of things that I think I would call it basically perfect.
I wanna know…

Oh, and I thought about this. It will be unpopular, certainly, but Red Dead Redemption 2 achieves everything it aspires to. I could not perceive even a single flaw in my 40+ hours with it.

Star Control 2 - So ahead of it's time and still stands to the test of it.
Quest for Glory III - Still the best adventure game of all time.
Stardew Valley - Love letter to gaming

I wanna know…

Oh, and I thought about this. It will be unpopular, certainly, but Red Dead Redemption 2 achieves everything it aspires to. I could not perceive even a single flaw in my 40+ hours with it.
My one and only real complaint with the game is that the secret 'hidden' chapter you unlock by 100%ing the rest of the game didn't quite live up to what I had built up for it in my head. I had just been expecting... a bit more, I guess. But again, that's such a minor complaint to a fantastic game.

Hmm. Let's say, for me, those games came close to perfection. At least they are the best in their respective genre at the time they were released ( And are still good today)

RTS - Command & Conquer - Red Alert 2 - Yuri's Revenge

SNES Plattformer - Super Mario World

Plattformer - Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2

JRPG - Xenoblade Chronicles Trilogy

Space Horror - Alien Isolation

GOAT - Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Super mario world 1 and 2 are probably as perfect as you can get in the medium.

I would also say the original pikmin.

Unless I missed it, I'm the first one to mention Celeste, huh?

I literally don't know many more games that feels as good to control as Celeste. And controls are VITAL to games. Just the mechanics are so simple, with the grab and the dash, but the movement of platforming, the momentum, the weight, the friction.. Absurdly well programmed, and it raises this interesting point of immersion, and how you become a character and exist in a world, and Celeste is such an incredible example in how you accomplish those things through just well programmed controls. You ARE Madeline, as much as you're there, on the cliff, as her. It feels so real, and so palpable.

There's literally zero complaints to raise, anywhere, about the level design, I personally just view it to be all across the board perfect. Not a millimetre is out of line.

Madeline is instantly iconic with her long red hair and blue jacket, and all the side characters vibe so well with her and the overall aesthetic theme of the game. The dialogue noises are just perfect, and they convey emotion in a way that fits so well with the colourful, expressive character portraits. The soundtrack is amazing, and there's so much synesthesia in how its being gelled together with the pixel art - it's like.. when you see the game in motion, you can hear that music in your head, they really fit that well together.

Making the mountain a metaphor for overcoming your inner demons and anxiety was a stroke of genius in terms of contextualising a story hook into the pure platforming experience. And it's done so, so, so well. Without going into spoilers, it just follows that theme down to the last drop and really creates an arc that goes hand in hand with the gameplay just as well as the best works in the medium does it.

It's an interesting discussion, "best", or "perfect". Few of my top 10 games are perfect. Celeste, though? If you ask me, it's a perfect game.

From a personal perspective: Pokémon Gold & Silver - but I am aware of the problems that this game has, they just don't really affect me.

My ultimate answer though, one I'll die on the hill for, is Dark Cloud. This game has been an annual play for me since it was launched, and I still find myself in awe of how well designed every aspect of it is. From the creativity of the world-building mechanics to the dynamic soundtrack that perfectly captures each unique scenario and setting the player encounters. (It's my go-to BGM throughout my day) It's just one of those games that perfectly absorbs you into this massive RPG world that feels fully realized, yet still your own to create and explore. This to me is the ULTIMATE fantasy-RPG experience.

Re: comments about BOTW. I think the game can only appear flawed when compared to previous LOZ titles. As a standalone though, I think it's a pretty flawlessly executed game.

From a personal perspective: Pokémon Gold & Silver - but I am aware of the problems that this game has, they just don't really affect me.

My ultimate answer though, one I'll die on the hill for, is Dark Cloud. This game has been an annual play for me since it was launched, and I still find myself in awe of how well designed every aspect of it is. From the creativity of the world-building mechanics to the dynamic soundtrack that perfectly captures each unique scenario and setting the player encounters. (It's my go-to BGM throughout my day) It's just one of those games that perfectly absorbs you into this massive RPG world that feels fully realized, yet still your own to create and explore. This to me is the ULTIMATE fantasy-RPG experience.

Re: comments about BOTW. I think the game can only appear flawed when compared to previous LOZ titles. As a standalone though, I think it's a pretty flawlessly executed game.
Great shout! I wouldn’t call Dark Cloud perfect, but it’s a phenomenal game (as is the sequel). A real shame we never got a third game as was rumored a while back.

Thats hard, i can think of several games i consider perfect, most of which have the name “mario” somewhere in the title. But to name one, i’d say mass effect 2. I replay the trilogy every year, and 2 is always the one I look forward to returning to the most.

Metroid Prime is perfect. Even the key fetch quest works for me, because it involves some cool set pieces. It was also one of the last Nintendo 1st party games to be on-par or leading in graphics fidelity. It was arguably the best looking game ever when it came out.

It’s just a flawless 10/10 game and achieves everything it sets out for. And, it’s a locked 60fps!

Threes

It's so good I can't have it installed on my phone because I'd spend all my time on it and get nothing done

Madeline is instantly iconic with her long red hair and blue jacket, and all the side characters vibe so well with her and the overall aesthetic theme of the game. The dialogue noises are just perfect, and they convey emotion in a way that fits so well with the colourful, expressive character portraits. The soundtrack is amazing, and there's so much synesthesia in how its being gelled together with the pixel art - it's like.. when you see the game in motion, you can hear that music in your head, they really fit that well together.

And also she's super cute and snuggly

fzHetUB.jpg

Nintendogs is a perfect game for what it sets out to do. Replayable, insanely innovative, charming.

First post nailed it with Tetris, so I'm going to have to go with... Burnout 3

Pure, mad, aggressively arcade fun with a perfectly cheesy soundtrack that I'm super nostalgic for. Every course is expertly crafted with turns and traffic patterns laid out in such a way to always keep you on your toes but never being unfair.

I want a switch port so bad

I’ll put another game up for consideration: Punch-Out! (Wii). While the NES version is the more iconic game, it has a few issues, including the Mike Tyson controversy, that it goes too hard into stereotypical depictions, and that it is essentially impossible to complete on modern televisions due to slight input lag that wasn’t present on older CRT TVs.
Punch-Out! for the Wii lacks the controversial title character, treats its fighters more respectfully, and avoids the input issue all while retaining the easy to understand but challenging gameplay. I really have no criticisms for it.

Back
Top Bottom