• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Name a Perfect Game

Lozjam

Don't Forget Me
Pronouns
He/Him
The title says it all.

I want you to name a game with that you literally have no complaints about. Of course, this is subjective.

And I am not necessarily talking about your favorite game either. Merely a game that you literally have no complaints with. For example, Breath of the Wild is my favorite game of all time. However, I would have liked more meatier dungeons.

Alright? Got the rules. Good.

Here's mine:

Stardew Valley
Perfect game, that sets out exactly what it wants to do.

Interesting characters who I want to marry, perfect farming mechanics, and so many little secrets and nooks to uncover. There is so much to this game that I really don't want to play any farming Sim game. This is really a perfect game that will last forever. I love how you can customize your starting farm too.

It also has multiplayer too! Which is the one thing I would have wanted from the sequel.

I doubt many games in the farming genre will beat what Stardew has done, other than being new. So that I my perfect game. What is yours?

My internal example of a perfect game is probably Super Metroid, despite it only probably being my second or third favorite Metroid

For example, Breath of the Wild is my favorite game of all time. However, I would have liked more meatier dungeons.

BotW’s dungeons were a design choice rather than an imperfection. They wanted to move away from the many complaints that the series was becoming too samey and formulaic.

BotW’s dungeons were a design choice rather than an imperfection. They wanted to move away from the many complaints that the series was becoming too samey and formulaic.
That doesn't mean I don't have a complaint about it, and that developers don't agree with me. The Master Cycle Divine beast is so much meatier than the others, and are much more satisfying to complete as a result. If each of the divine beasts were more similar to it, it would be so much more satisfying.

Also, themeing and aesthetics are a huge issue too. Would have loved Divine Beasts and Shrines that took more from the Master Sword Trials too.

Anyway, this thread isn't so much about BotW. Which is my favorite game of all time I might add. But I wanted to further explain my points to you.

Tetris. Not saying there aren’t bad versions, but if you get a good one like DS, then it’s just perfect. Intuitive, challenging, replayable. Basically covers everything you want in a puzzle game and never gets old.
Kirby Dream Land
Outer Wilds. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is pretty close too.
These ones are really good. Perfect examples of games dojng exactly what they want to achieve.

Yeah, a game element being intended doesn't make it immune from criticism.

BOTW's dungeons or enemy variety or even weapon durability are all conscious design decisions, but players are still allowed to have their opinions on them. Obviously, on the whole, BOTW's failings on those, or 0other fronts, as perceived by players, don't matter for much given the incredible acclaim and success the game has seen, but something being intended doesn't mean it isn't still an imperfection (since either the intention or the execution, or both, could have been wrong).

Coming back to the main topic of this thread, I'll submit another game:

Persona 5 Royal

It is literally awe inspiring how immaculately well put together this game is, there is not a single wasted pixel or frame.

if it weren't for my resentment of a few later levels I'd be tempted to say Super Mario 64

as is I'm inclined to submit Pikmin 3. the pinnacle of games that make absolutely no mistakes

Shovel Knight, the original campaign. There are a few platformers I like more but I can’t think of anything bad about SK.

Portal. Perfect execution of its concept, perfect length for the experience it offers, and perfect framing. Not the best game ever, but one of the most perfect since Tetris.

OoT, Cod4, Halo 2, GoW2, Hades, NBA 2K11, NFL 2K5(still best sports game ever made), Sonic 2....takes breath to exhale....and last but not least

Super Mario Odyssey. I will catch heat for the last one, but I'm ready to square up.

Persona 3. A lot of the complaints people have about it (Tartarus, wonky pacing, Marin Karin) stem from intentional design choices that make the game more coherent. Each rerelease and sequel has tried to fix the game's perceived problems but has only watered down the core formula. Doesn't mean they aren't great games in their own right. They just aren't "perfect."

I have 0 complaint about Rocket League in terms of design so I was gonna say it but the servers are laggy so...? I usually don't think of purely technical aspects like that when judging if a game is perfect or not.

Well, then I name Thumper.

Tetris. Not saying there aren’t bad versions, but if you get a good one like DS, then it’s just perfect. Intuitive, challenging, replayable. Basically covers everything you want in a puzzle game and never gets old.
This is the boring but 100% correct answer whenever this question comes up.

Super cool thread, one that I haven't played much since childhood but still always talk about is Ribbit King. Since I haven't played it properly in a while take it with a grain of salt though.
Otherwise Professor Layton, to me it hits the style, characters, writing, mini games, puzzles, story.... just everything just the way it wants to and it is intuitive and fun. I agree with a bunch posted as well (Tropical Freeze, Odyssey, Tetris). Only complaint I have with Dragon Quest V is that I would rather not have random encounters if it was made today or remade, so I'll count that honestly. Chrono Trigger is probably one as well for me, though I still don't know how to feel about (early) fights being unnecessary in New Game+ since you're so strong.

I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting, I'll happily revisit this thread if I can remember them. I really like the emphasis on opinion here as it gives room for discussion and reasoning without being about right or wrong.

I have three games I consider perfect

Bloodborne

Hollow Knight

Pikmin 3

Portal. Perfect execution of its concept, perfect length for the experience it offers, and perfect framing. Not the best game ever, but one of the most perfect since Tetris.
Yeah, I think if you interpret "perfect" as "perfectly achieves what it sets out to do" (which seems to be consistent with how Lozjam sets out the OP), I would have to agree that Portal meets that criteria

I think you can make an argument for Portal 2 as well. I know some people find some of it a bit more bloated though (I don't necessarily agree)

Last edited:
If anyone is expecting me to come in here and say “Yakuza 0” I’m sorry

Even the best video game of all time is not perfect.

Have to agree with Tetris though. It is simply perfect.

Resident Evil 4, for sure. Over the years, I think enough has been said, regarding its brilliance. Phenomenal gameplay, encounter design, replay value, and so on. I can only hope the remake ends up providing a compelling, alternative experience that measures up to what came before it.
If anyone is expecting me to come in here and say “Yakuza 0” I’m sorry

Even the best video game of all time is not perfect.
Yakuza 0 is my #3 favorite game of all time (behind Resident Evil 4, and Shadow of the Colossus), and I agree with you. It's incredible overall, but... the catfights...

The first answer in the thread is probably the best one, but I’d add Yakuza 7 and probably a few 3D Mario on the list, namely Odyssey, Galaxy, Galaxy 2 and 3D World.

Oh, and also Little Big Adventure 2. Probably not perfect by today’s standards but damn perfect when it was released.

Resident Evil 4, for sure. Over the years, I think enough has been said, regarding its brilliance. Phenomenal gameplay, encounter design, replay value, and so on. I can only hope the remake ends up providing a compelling, alternative experience that measures up to what came before it.
I've been resisting the urge to tell people they're wrong in this thread (although I did say someone in this thread was wrong in another thread), but the controls for that game are an instant disqualifier from "perfect" IMO

Breath of the Wild. I have zero complaints, completed it five times so far.

Honourable mentions for Advance Wars and Skies of Arcadia which are also both perfect games for me.

Find me a flaw with the original Super Mario Bros. on NES that doesn't involve comparing it to games that came after it. It was revolutionary for the time and just did everything right.

DOOM '93, Cave Story, Tetris, Mega Man X

I don't have literally 'zero' complaints for these, except Tetris, but these feel like archetypal titles for their respective genres that are still enjoyable.

It helps that 3/4 are ported to nearly every platform under the sun and preserved very well. And each time they're ported there are little nips and tucks like improving technical performance, but the game design itself is untouched.

Find me a flaw with the original Super Mario Bros. on NES that doesn't involve comparing it to games that came after it. It was revolutionary for the time and just did everything right.
Those castle levels where you have to guess where the path is are pretty dumb, tbh.

My first thought was Beat Saber. My next thought was Rocket League. Two absolutely perfect video games.

Killer7. Stylish graphics, interesting gameplay, and one of the best stories in any video game. Perfection!

I've been resisting the urge to tell people they're wrong in this thread (although I did say someone in this thread was wrong in another thread), but the controls for that game are an instant disqualifier from "perfect" IMO
I realize it's subjective, but for me, the controls are perfectly suited to the game. I don't mind tank controls, nor do I mind not being able to move and shoot. Everything was quite deliberately set up in perfect service of that stop-and-pop gameplay loop, in my opinion. I dig RE4 because it's a no fluff, no filler action game with highly varied encounters, and it feels extremely satisfying to play (not to mention it served as a blueprint for the past 15+ years of third-person shooters / action games).

Now, I also realize this: the whole "it suits the game perfectly" argument is the very same one that folks generally put forth to excuse (just as an example) Breath of the Wild's copy and pasted elements, weapon durability, low enemy variety, and so on. I generally find myself unconvinced, so I don't expect folks to change their mind in the case of RE4, simply because I tell them I don't think the controls are bad. All I can hope for is that the remake provides those that dislike the controls an experience they can be more comfortable with, as I know there are quite a number of people that can't seem to get past that particular element of the original.

Megaman X
Zelda LTTP
Tetris

More recently- Monster Hunter 4. Or pretty much any recent Monster Hunter. They are all incredibly good, lengthy action games in both single player and multiplayer.

Huntdown, Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight are all excellent.

This year, I struggled to think of stuff to criticise with both Infernax and Triangle Strategy.

I think the simpler a game is, the easier it is to polish every aspect, which is why most of my favourites are 2D games. Also perhaps why I find MonHun so satisfying, in that it perfects it’s own gameplay loop that’s simple at heart but with the iterative mechanical development of 20 years of 3D action games beating beneath it.

There are lots of games that I love that I have severe complaints about stuff; but the closest of perfection is

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Binding of Issac Rebirth, as it has not yet be mentioned. Its the perfect pick up anytime game and can be played again and again for forever.

You can debate how the later updates changed the game, either for the better or worse. But the original release in 2014 is something to behold. The Binding of Issac was horribly hobbled by running off flash, awful performance that makes returning it to these days an impossibility. The core mechanics/loop and concept where so good, I put in almost 60 hours with the original. Thats more time then I spent in Doom 2016 and more than the original Left 4 Dead.

The dream was, 'what if' What if BOI performed well and ran on nearly anything? For me, when that 'what if' was answered, I would end up spending more time with it then Fallout 4, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim and Stardew Valley, COMBINED.

LTTP
Portal
Tetris

I cannot fault any of them.

I LOOOOOVE BOTW with such a passion, FF7 OG too, but I can find fault with them, so I cannot cite them.

Back
Top Bottom