• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Name a Perfect Game

Katamari Damacy. Even though the controls frustrate some, I think it's basically made in the exact way it should be and changing any one aspect of the control, music or humor would diminish its beautiful absurdity.

Other than that, Ghost Trick probably

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.
It may not be ambitious, or flashy, but for what it is, it's pretty much flawless.
It takes a simple concept and refines it to a celestial shine, each mechanic and idea folded neatly into the next like digital origami.

I'd probably go with Celeste as a perfect game. Even when some of the strawberries/tapes/whatever can be frustrating, I feel like every level is designed beautifully and it really, really accomplishes what it sets out to do: this is, making you share Madeleine's struggle, and become one with her as she overcomes her insecurities. It's also the best platformer I've played since Super Mario World (another in the running for perfect 2D platformer).

Also, I really would like to shout out Pokémon: Gold and Silver. Not a perfect game (a bit too easy compared to the prequel) but it is, most definitely, a perfect sequel to Pokémon Red and Blue. Nothing like the feeling you get when you have another region to explore after your adventure is over, perhaps the first time I felt (as a child) that the game I was playing was really alive.

I don’t think I would change a single thing about Hades

Hades is amazing, but once you
beat Hades for the first time, and find out a loadout that works for you, it suddenly becomes way too easy. I was able to consistently reach Persephone every run after that.
. Still incredible, though.

EDIT: I hadn't read your post @Irene before mine but it exemplifies exactly how I feel about Celeste. Such a beautiful experience. Thanks for the write-up!

Unless I missed it, I'm the first one to mention Celeste, huh?

I literally don't know many more games that feels as good to control as Celeste. And controls are VITAL to games. Just the mechanics are so simple, with the grab and the dash, but the movement of platforming, the momentum, the weight, the friction.. Absurdly well programmed, and it raises this interesting point of immersion, and how you become a character and exist in a world, and Celeste is such an incredible example in how you accomplish those things through just well programmed controls. You ARE Madeline, as much as you're there, on the cliff, as her. It feels so real, and so palpable.

There's literally zero complaints to raise, anywhere, about the level design, I personally just view it to be all across the board perfect. Not a millimetre is out of line.

Madeline is instantly iconic with her long red hair and blue jacket, and all the side characters vibe so well with her and the overall aesthetic theme of the game. The dialogue noises are just perfect, and they convey emotion in a way that fits so well with the colourful, expressive character portraits. The soundtrack is amazing, and there's so much synesthesia in how its being gelled together with the pixel art - it's like.. when you see the game in motion, you can hear that music in your head, they really fit that well together.

Making the mountain a metaphor for overcoming your inner demons and anxiety was a stroke of genius in terms of contextualising a story hook into the pure platforming experience. And it's done so, so, so well. Without going into spoilers, it just follows that theme down to the last drop and really creates an arc that goes hand in hand with the gameplay just as well as the best works in the medium does it.

It's an interesting discussion, "best", or "perfect". Few of my top 10 games are perfect. Celeste, though? If you ask me, it's a perfect game.

Last edited:
Tropical Freeze. It excels in everything graphics, sound, control, level design. It's literally perfect.
Mario Galaxy 2 as well, I don't think there's a single flaw about the game.
Another recent example is Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. I remember tried to think anything negative about the game and I couldn't. It's simply perfect.

Pokemon Crystal, Kirby Air Ride, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Person-...

...wait I'm just starting to list my heavily biased top 10 favorite games of all time.

Tetris. Not saying there aren’t bad versions, but if you get a good one like DS, then it’s just perfect. Intuitive, challenging, replayable. Basically covers everything you want in a puzzle game and never gets old.

Tetris DS has infinite spin in single player.

I’m sure this will ruffle a fistful of feathers but Hollow Knight is a perfect game

Super Metroid
Link's Awakening (Game Boy)
Contra (Famicom)
Super Contra (Famicom)

You cannot improve on these games for what they set out to do. Flawless design, controls, graphics and sounds for their platforms.

Super Mario World
Yep, same as above.

Perfect Dark''

The '' means Perfection.
That's probably why Perfect Dark Zero doesn't feature the '', because it is a Perfect 0/10.

SSX 3. I could play that forever if it was on modern consoles. the only real negative I can say is I want more of it, like another mountain

You know, in this thread before about how it’s “not Yakuza 0” (which I stand by) and that Tetris is pretty close but I actually have another answer for this

Burnout Paradise. I cannot think of a single thing about that game I would change. The driving feels incredible, with just enough depth to keep you learning without being complicated, a fun-to-explore map with plenty of secrets, shortcuts, and things to do, and an all-time classic mid-to-late 00’s soundtrack that also has a bunch of classical music that makes the game feel like a playable Tim Rogers video.

I can play Burnout Paradise for the rest of my life and love every minute. Truly a perfect game.

Resident Evil 4 was already stated, but I'll state it again.

Resident Evil 4.

And I'll state it one more time.

Resident Evil 4.

resident-evil-5-chris-redfield-render-01-alpha-copy.png

"Hi, I'm Chris Redfield, and let me tell you about Shinji Mikami's 2002 masterpiece..."

Super Metroid is totally the first game that isn't too basic like Tetris that almost meets the criteria of perfection, frankly. I think the more stuff any game has, the more it inevitably is going to languish in some areas. The N64 Zelda games have tanky frame rates, just like Halo for the original Xbox, maybe the pacing is off in some sections or just a specific level sours the experience a bit. IDK, just to throw out some examples.

Super feels floaty in comparison to its mailine and spiritual successors, but it could pass a modern game without any issue, I think. You can pick it up and do crazy speedruns thanks to its versatile gameplay or sink 50 hours in it thanks to its mesmerizing atmosphere. The powerup progression in particular is super satisfying (and so is its sound design).

Dicey Dungeons is what came to mind first for me. We spent five months playing just that and got every last drop of bliss from it, and it was incredible and mind-blowing in its intricacies and presentation. I think it's one of the most perfectly spot on games of this millennium.

Mushihimesama Futari

I pretty much don't know anything I could do to improve this. Every issue I have with this game is just something I don't really like about bullet hell shmups as a whole.

I’ll repost this from my Games You completed post last year:

5. Boxboy and Boxgirl

In my eyes this game is pretty much perfect, I can’t think of one complaint. If I was pushed on coming up with something i’d probably have liked a super tough extra campaign (although I guess getting the “par” boxes would probably be that: I stopped short of doing this with co-op, as I would just get angry with my son)

It didn’t outstay its welcome in anyway. Finished at the perfect spot for me.

Makes me wonder of the potential of a Metroid Like adventure game with BoxBoy…

Persona 5 truly has immaculate game design in the dungeons and overworld areas. Everything ties together so nicely in that game.

EDIT: LMAO I had already said "Celeste" in this thread smh

Last edited:
Hmmm,even my GOATs have some minor flaws, not sure if perfect exists.
Closest that come to mind would be BOTW, Metroid Prime, Elden Ring and Yakuza 0.
Super Mario Odyssey is pretty flawless too.

Lara Croft: Go

It's probably true that puzzle games have the easiest path to execute on an idea flawlessly because often they are founded on a few simple rules and complexity arises from exhausting those rules to their logical end. Like the best of them, Go keeps gameplay simple without making solutions straightforward. Every design choice, from graphics to controls to levels to enemies to collectibles, fits the platform.

No notes. Other than: Why wasn't there more? And a question: Was Hitman GO as good as this?

Back
Top Bottom