• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion My Winners of Not-E3 2022 (what were yours?)

Nmanic

Bob-omb
Pronouns
He/Him
Hey guys! So, with it being all but assured now that we won't see Nintendo for a bit, my brain has compartmentalized this Not-E3 season as having come to a close. I'll check out the Capcom stuff and look forward to FF7 news, but everything centered around the last week and a half or so, in my brain, has drawn the close to what's usually my favorite time of year. I still had fun, but I really do miss the centralized feeling that E3 brings (and the fact that it usually ends with a direct, lol).

But anyway! Every year, I like to keep a list of the stuff that stood out to me, and I wanted to share some of the exciting things I came across this year. Not everything was freshly announced-- some of it was stuff that had gone under my radar before, or they got some new trailer/features shown. And I won't share everything on my list, just the stuff that excited me the most.

First off, I was blown away by the new gameplay shown for Spark The Electric Jester 3. Fans of Sonic Adventure should NOT sleep on this series! The first game was an excellent 2D platformer, and then the second game was probably my favorite 3D Sonic-like game since SA2B. If you're feeling like Frontiers isn't quite what you want, I think you should check this trailer out!

American Arcadia-- Next, I was really pleased to find out about a new game by the devs who made Call of the Sea, a great puzzle/adventure/mystery game. American Arcadia was definitely the thing that caught my eye most from Geoff Keigh-3, it's got a great retro-futuristic vibe and I think it'll be another fun mystery to unravel with a neat gameplay hook-- two contrasting styles of play.

Many have seen this one here, I think, but one of the most exciting announcements to me was The Plucky Squire. Seems like it's lovingly crafted with inspiration from all sorts of games, and what a cool art style! I don't know exactly what to expect from this one, but I will absolutely keep on eye on it, cause it just seems so insanely cool!

A Frog's Tale-- Mario and Luigi influence? Rhythm based RPG? FROG WITH A SWORD? Oh yeah, I backed this on kickstarter instantly. This trailer got me so hype. If any of those things I mentioned make you hype too, check the trailer/Kickstarter out!!

Melatonin-- It's lo-fi rhythm heaven. If that sounds dope to you, I HIGHLY recommend checking out the demo on steam. I played it last night and I cannot believe how quality it is. The music is insane, and it has just as much personality as rhythm heaven (with a different flavor, and I love it). Plus, it releases this september on switch as well as pc!

I'll stop myself there for now. This was just a sampling of what excited me the most over the last few days. What were some of your favorite things you found out about over the last week and a half?

Plucky Squire is the absolute winner, but all the games on the Devolver direct were awesome. Artistic skate, Cult management with dungeon crawling, FPS hotline miami with feet

Also, half of the wholesome direct, specially the 3d platfomers

Plucky Squire is the absolute winner, but all the games on the Devolver direct were awesome. Artistic skate, Cult management with dungeon crawling, FPS hotline miami with feet

Also, half of the wholesome direct, specially the 3d platfomers

Great picks! I'm very excited for Mika too. It looks so cute, very kiki's delivery service-esque. That same company is also making a game called Koa and the Five Pirates of Mara, another 3D platformer that has a demo on steam!

Frogun looks great as well

I don't think a single game from SGF caught my eye. The Last of Us remake is technically very impressive, but nothing I'm getting.

A walk with Yiayia from the Wholesome Direct really appealed to me.

And from the Xbox showcase, a lot actually. Persona 3 is going to be very exciting to finally play properly, Ereban: Shadow Legacy looks lit as heck, I'm way into As Dusk Falls, Ravenlok and Cocoon as well.

And, last but not least, Starfield. I watched the footage again, and I am really into what I am seeing. It's maybe too ambitious for its own good, bursting at the seams really, and I believe that it will probably have some launch issues. But the idea they're proposing really appeals to me.

EDIT: Forgot State of Play, figured that should be mentioned. Stray and Eternights looked really good, and damn am I hyped for FFXVI!

Overall, way better than the previous year. Let's hope Nintendo bookends it in a spectacular fashion.

Last edited:
I don't think a single game from SGF caught my eye. The Last of Us remake is technically very impressive, but nothing I'm getting.

A walk with Yiayia from the Wholesome Direct really appealed to me.

And from the Xbox showcase, a lot actually. Persona 3 is going to be very exciting to finally play properly, Ereban: Shadow Legacy looks lit as heck, I'm way into As Dusk Falls, Ravenlok and Cocoon as well.

And, last but not least, Starfield. I watched the footage again, and I am really into what I am seeing. It's maybe too ambitious for its own good, bursting at the seams really, and I believe that it will probably have some launch issues. But the idea they're proposing really appeals to me.
Oh yeah, Cocoon looked like a really interesting game. I forgot to add that to my list, so I'm glad you mentioned it!

Persona 3 portable is one of my favorite RPGs ever so I'm glad it will find a new audience, even if I'm with other fans as wishing we got a bit more of a P3 definitive. Oh well!

A Walk With Yiaya is also something I'm very pleased we got another trailer and release date for! Looks like one of those deeply thoughtful games... Definitely gonna check that out day one on switch

I like this thread, as I haven’t heard of most of these. I’d say Street Fighter VI impressed me, and hearing that capcom name dropping shenmue as an inspiration makes me very interested.

Cult of the Lamb, Plucky Squire and Cocoon

Also low key interested in the seemingly Dead Space spiritual successor, The Callisto Protocol

Callisto Protocol and uhhm...Hollow Knight: Silksong.

Nothing has grabbed me much though. Redwall fell off my radar, like that gameplay looked not great, especially for Arkane.

I want to see actual gameplay today before crowning it, but Resident Evil 4 for me. Resident Evil 2 was a blast, and if they can replicate that magic I'm all in.

Also really liked The Plucky Squire, Stray, Starfield, Redfall, and Final Fantasy XVI. Excited to see what the single player campaign of Street Fighter 6 entails too, not huge on fighting games but if there's a Yakuza-style campaign, I'm interested.

I like this thread, as I haven’t heard of most of these. I’d say Street Fighter VI impressed me, and hearing that capcom name dropping shenmue as an inspiration makes me very interested.

I was hoping this thread could expose some people to games that may be up their alley that slipped their radar, so that's awesome =)

I always hyperfixate around this time of year, and I tend to curate lists for my friends who don't care to watch all the conferences, so I thought I'd share some big hits here too. And also, I like to hear what's exciting for others, even if it's not always my jam.

SFVI looks sick, honestly. It's not a franchise I've ever delved into much, but I love the usage of colors in the new one. I will definitely check out the presentation tonight in hopes to see some more of that!
Also low key interested in the seemingly Dead Space spiritual successor, The Callisto Protocol
I find Callisto Protocol too spoopy 4 me, but I can tell it's exciting to a lot of folks. I hope it pans out well!
I want to see actual gameplay today before crowning it, but Resident Evil 4 for me. Resident Evil 2 was a blast, and if they can replicate that magic I'm all in.

Also really liked The Plucky Squire, Stray, Starfield, Redfall, and Final Fantasy XVI. Excited to see what the single player campaign of Street Fighter 6 entails too, not huge on fighting games but if there's a Yakuza-style campaign, I'm interested.
Man, I don't really play the series, but RE fans seem like they're eating good this month.

You've reminded me about Stray, which is another one I'm planning to check out at launch.
Final Fantasy XVI and The Plucky Squire.
FFXVI looks cool... I will probably wait for the first price drop to snag it, cause I'm not the hugest FF fan and I don't prefer the darker/more western-fantasy vibes. That said, I do think the new trailer was sick

The Plucky Squire and Mika and the Witch's Mountain felt as if they were plucked directly from my subconscious.

"Crafted" Zelda?! Kiki's Delivery game?!

I absolutely loved those two reveals. Honestly Stray and Starfield are also sorta that way for me, but I already knew those games were a thing lol.

Special "winner" shout outs go to Sony, for really nailing the snappiness of the Direct format this time out, and also to Microsoft, for taking the prior criticism of "overabundance of cgi trailers" to heart this year.

All that said, my favorite bit of "coverage" this year? That has to go to Sonic Frontiers.

However I hesitate to list that as a "Winner", it's more of an... fascinating ongoing interactive experience? Like an AR game or something?

Special "winner" shout outs go to Sony, for really nailing the snappiness of the Direct format this time out, and also to Microsoft, for taking the prior criticism of "overabundance of cgi trailers" to heart this year.

All that said, my favorite bit of "coverage" this year? That has to go to Sonic Frontiers.

However I hesitate to list that as a "Winner", it's more of an... fascinating ongoing interactive experience? Like an AR game or something?
yeah, even if the show didn't have much for me (eternights looks kinda interesting!) the state of play was very well paced. Probably the strongest one I've seen! Though, my personal favorite was the initial PS5 showcase in terms of stuff it made me want to play.

Absolutely agreed on Sonic. Marketing classes should study this lmao

Top three would be Final Fantasy XVI, The Last of Us Part I, and either Resident Evil 4 or Street Fighter 6.

I'm still immensely torn on the Xbox showcase and in particular Starfield. I don't know if it's all the negativity I'm reading online or my drift back to PlayStation, but I'm not sure what I think of what was shown. I need to see more I guess.

The Plucky Squire is the out and out winner by a mile. Otherwise, it’s been an absolute shitshow. Might as well have not bothered at all this year.

starfield for me. can't wait! this is the reason i got back into the xbox ecoystem

FFXVI trailer ending, SF6 singleplayer mode, The Plucky Squire, The Last case of Benedict Fox are my main highlights. There are also many small scale games that I'm interested in (some of them due to this thread, thanks for making it OP). I feel AA games have been the big winners throughout the shows.

FFXVI trailer ending, SF6 singleplayer mode, The Plucky Squire, The Last case of Benedict Fox are my main highlights. There are also many small scale games that I'm interested in (some of them due to this thread, thanks for making it OP). I feel AA games have been the big winners throughout the shows.
Totally agreed. If you only focus on triple a stuff and don't like FPS affairs, there's probably not much for you. But smaller devs and indies completely rocked it this year with a huge variety of unique and quality-looking games.

Honestly. Indie devs. What they've shown has been so much more interesting than most of these AAA developers. If you didn't see the wholesome direct you are missing out. The Guerilla Collective showcase I think had a couple decent looking games too.

This period(E3/SGM) really feels to me like a come for the AAA games, stay for the indies situation nowadays.

Honestly. Indie devs. What they've shown has been so much more interesting than most of these AAA developers. If you didn't see the wholesome direct you are missing out. The Guerilla Collective showcase I think had a couple decent looking games too.

This period(E3/SGM) really feels to me like a come for the AAA games, stay for the indies situation nowadays.
Easily. Wholesome direct, tribeca and a few gems from Devolver and Guerilla are what made my weekend fun! I was lucky to find one or two things that appealed to me from the bigger shows

I had Goat Simulator 3 because I had dumb fun with the first one and it's DLC. But outside of that, there really wasn't anything new announced I was taken by.

Easily. Wholesome direct, tribeca and a few gems from Devolver and Guerilla are what made my weekend fun! I was lucky to find one or two things that appealed to me from the bigger shows
I added about 15 games to my steam wishlist from those showcases. We really are in an indie game golden age I feel and it's only getting better. Do I think there may be one too many farming sims? No. There can never be too many lmfao.

I appreciate this thread, OP :coffee:

I haven't kept very up-to-date w/ announcements, except for seeing the trailer of Plucky Squire (which looks fab).

Almost everything you posted looks right up my alley, esp this American Arcadia game.

Overall, from what I've kept up with, the Persona announcements were nice (I expect switch announcements incoming, and would favor physical releases, but am happy its "unchained" now that its coming to PC), Hollow Knight is closing in and Street Fighter 6 looks really cool.

Was ready to be blown away by 'Starfield'.... but it just felt like....nothing special...?
The most exciting part is the return of more roleplay focussed progression. More exploration footage would have been welcome in my book.
That's where their games really shine.

I would still call it my personal winner tho. 2nd and 3rd place would be 'The Last of Us Part I' and 'Resident Evil 4 Remake'

I have the most hype for The Plucky Squire and Starfield coming out of not-E3, pending whatever Capcom and Nintendo are doing.
Haha yeah, tbh every E3 season is divided into two categories in my brain-- "whatever Nintendo isn't doing" and then the Nintendo Direct/treehouse. That's why it's a bit deflating to me that Nintendo chose to skip the early June time frame, but what can ya do. There are several things Nintendo could do that would make them the easy winners of this year's not-e3 season for me
I added about 15 games to my steam wishlist from those showcases. We really are in an indie game golden age I feel and it's only getting better. Do I think there may be one too many farming sims? No. There can never be too many lmfao.
Dude, that one farm sim where you play as a robot looked pretty cool too. And agreed, I think indies have really taken off! It doesn't feel like there's a compromise in innovation or quality, just the opposite, in fact
I appreciate this thread, OP :coffee:

I haven't kept very up-to-date w/ announcements, except for seeing the trailer of Plucky Squire (which looks fab).

Almost everything you posted looks right up my alley, esp this American Arcadia game.

Overall, from what I've kept up with, the Persona announcements were nice (I expect switch announcements incoming, and would favor physical releases, but am happy its "unchained" now that its coming to PC), Hollow Knight is closing in and Street Fighter 6 looks really cool.
Glad you were able to find some cool games with this thread! That's definitely why I made it. Agreed about the other stuff you mentioned... I still gotta play hollow knight tho lol
Was ready to be blown away by 'Starfield'.... but it just felt like....nothing special...?
The most exciting part is the return of more roleplay focussed progression. More exploration footage would have been welcome in my book.
That's where their games really shine.

I would still call it my personal winner tho. 2nd and 3rd place would be 'The Last of Us Part I' and 'Resident Evil 4 Remake'
I'm not the target audience for Starfield, for the record, but I felt this way too... Would probably be more compelling if they did 5-10 really well fleshed out planets rather than a bamillion. Here's hoping it's awesome though for everyone who's excited!

Haha yeah, tbh every E3 season is divided into two categories in my brain-- "whatever Nintendo isn't doing" and then the Nintendo Direct/treehouse.

With a nod to your avy, I am anticipating my "Overall Top Announcement* of Not-E3" to be FE 4 Remake. Fully voiced, gorgeously produced, and glorious.
Its gonna be some weeks before we can cash in on that tho!

*Emphasis on "announcement" since BotW2 is already announced and I am expecting a meaty trailer to be the "Overall Best Game Trailer of Not-E3"

At least a day removed from everything I've seen, Starfield has stuck with me the most. Yeah, it's Fallout in space, but that... sounds super rad.

Oh my gosh, Plucky Squire looks amazing. I am a sucker for those “worm’s eye view of a kid’s room” settings! See Toy Story, Ribbon Road, that one army men FPS from a few years ago.

Aside from the games shown by the big publishers, Plucky Squire and Cocoon are looking great. And A Frog's Tale looks fantastic too, so thank you for highlighting that @Nmanic!

I think two others I'm looking forward to are Skate Story and Demonschool:

Last edited:
I ended up wishlisting quite a lot of indie games from those presentations, but The Plucky Squire is definitely the one I'm most excited for, looks great and just seems a very fun Nintendo-like concept (no surprise coming from ex-GF James Turner). Also interested in A Frogs Tale with the big Mario & Luigi vibes.

Microsoft presentation was also strong for me and I feel more pulled in that direction over Sony (not invested in their 1st party stuff and most of the quaint Japanese stuff I originally moved to PS for is either multiplat or on Switch these days)

The Plucky Squire by far!

Edit: The Melatonin demo is great. It perfectly recaptures the Rythm Heaven formula.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom