• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Music Muse releases anti vax song, Compliance

xghost777

Magical Girls <3 #TeamJRPG #TrustTheProcess
This thread under the original title (Any Muse fans here?) was originally posted for sharing excitement about the upcoming Muse album following its announcement earlier in the day. A few days have passed and after reviewing all of the info currently out there, I'm fully convinced Compliance, the song released alongside the album's announcement, is an antivax song. I've canceled my preorder and the band is dead to me. I updated the title to reflect the most relevant topic. Posts 25 and up will have been made after the title change. The original OP with the first edit has been preserved in a spoiler tag below.

At the time of the original posting, I had not seen the music video for their latest song, Compliance, or heard any discussion on it. Following the first reply, you can see it play out as I was made aware of the content / themes of the song and as we debated what we were looking at. If you only look at the lyrics, you'd be forgiven for thinking it was just another Muse song. Paired with the video, interviews, and official statements, it becomes very clear this is an anti vax song. There is info that conflicts with this interpretation, for example earlier in the pandemic lead singer Matt Bellamy donated PPE to a family member and their colleagues in the health care system, but I guess that was then and this is now. I think you'd be hard pressed to watch the music video and reread the lyrics and official statements and come to another conclusion. You can see the music video for yourself in post 12, though I would discourage giving it official views.

Anyway, I wanted to update the OP and thread title to reflect this issue and make sure anyone who had previously passed it by was made aware. If any relevant info arises post March 22, 2022 feel free to @ me, but otherwise I don't feel there is much more to discuss. This sucks.

Edit: I’ve been quickly informed Muse are antivax which I was unaware of when I made the thread. That personally really bums me out and goes against my values. I’ll be less active in this thread as a result, but I’ve been asked to keep the thread up so please feel free to continue to discuss the album here. Original OP below.

Any fans of the English band Muse here? The Japanese idol group μ's is great too lol

Though I go back and forth a bit, I usually consider Muse to be my favorite band. I became a fan during the era of their fourth album, Black Holes and Revelations. I went back, listened, and loved their old albums and have been there day one for every album since. While I don't have everything, I have a pretty thorough collection of all their b-sides and other songs they've put out (Dead Star and Glorious are so good!). They have their ups and downs (The Resistance was their low point), but I think they've been on a good upswing again with Drones and Simulation Theory going harder and wilder again. I've seen them twice live, for their Drones tour and Simulation Theory tour. I'll sadly likely miss any tours in the pandemic era for health concerns, but I can't wait to see them again since they put on spectacular live shows.

I was very excited earlier today when I got an email from them that their ninth album is coming soon on August 26! Timing wise it works out and they just put out Won't Stand Down so it was inevitable, but yeah barely a few months away is awesome! They are doing the cool preorder thing on itunes where as they gradually release songs they just deliver it to you one by one until the full album is out. The second track, Compliance, is out now as well.

Anyway, I'll throw the details for the new album below this for those interested, but yeah I'm also very curious if there are any other Muse fans here. I labeled this thread as Music, but I'd love to treat it as a general Muse ST thread as well if there is interest. Favorite albums and favorite songs would be fun to discuss of course and any fun memories. I believe this is my first thread in The Roost so I'm extra excited to post this here as well!

Will Of The People was created in Los Angeles and London and is influenced by the increasing uncertainty and instability in the world. A pandemic, new wars in Europe, massive protests & riots, an attempted insurrection, Western democracy wavering, rising authoritarianism, wildfires and natural disasters and the destabilization of the global order all informed Will Of The People. It has been a worrying and scary time for all of us as the Western empire and the natural world, which have cradled us for so long are genuinely threatened. This album is a personal navigation through those fears and preparation for what comes next.

Will Of The People Tracklist:

1. Will Of The People

2. Compliance

3. Liberation

4. Won’t Stand Down

5. Ghosts (How Can I Move On)

6. You Make Me Feel Like It’s Halloween

7. Kill Or Be Killed

8. Verona

9. Euphoria

10. We Are Fucking Fucked

Last edited:
Isn't their song "Compliance" on this album going to be about being antivax or something

Yes they are anti-vax
Yo that blows and kills my enthusiasm for this right there :( I don’t want to promote antivaxers so if someone wants to lock the the thread I’m cool with that.

Edit I reported my thread :(

Last edited:
Yo that blows and kills my enthusiasm for this right there :( I don’t want to promote antivaxers so if someone wants to lock the the thread I’m cool with that.
Might as well keep it up for anybody else who wants to be excited about it, I know they're really popular lol

Isn't their song "Compliance" on this album going to be about being antivax or something
lmao, as someone who would consider themselves a casual Muse fan that would be very funny and somehow would make sense. Is there any detail on it?

Might as well keep it up for anybody else who wants to be excited about it, I know they're really popular lol
Alright if you think it should stay up for that reason that’s cool then to spread the word. I’ll edit the OP. I did report my thread already.

Oh noo didn't know about this

I used to listen to some of their old stuff, haven't been following news about them. Time to delete them from my library I guess :p

I was already kinda over Muse despite enjoying them a lot when I was younger, because their conspiracy shtick got really old and samey. If they're actually anti vax instead of just doing a bit that's still really disappointing though.

lmao, as someone who would consider themselves a casual Muse fan that would be very funny and somehow would make sense. Is there any detail on it?

I actually had trouble finding something that's specifically antivax, I think I read it on Era or something. I did find this:

I actually had trouble finding something that's specifically antivax, I think I read it on Era or something. I did find this:

yeah that tracks for Muse, a very adolescent POV of "sticking it to the man." Not sure if that's enough for them to be antivax but it wouldn't surprise me.

I sat down to start googling this too and also couldn't find anything. That tweet seems to be where it first came up and the author admits to trolling two replies down the same thread from the tweet you shared.

Below is the music video of the second song and the lyrics. You can either read it as more classic Muse (far right / authoritarian government corruption, the people need to unite and revolt!) or read it as antivax (lot of pills going around which could be literal or a metaphor). While I've always loved their sound, their lyrics can sometimes be vague enough to support multiple readings which is frustrating on a topic that is a straight dealbreaker for me. It's why when I heard they were antivax, I didn't need much convincing to believe it even at the same time I thought it'd be weird. Musically they are brilliant in my books, but I've never felt confident for the lyrics. I've googled some interviews of my favorite songs in the past and regularly encountered unsatisfying answers that resemble the block of text being shown in that Twitter thread.

LYRICS Compliance We just need your compliance You will feel no pain anymore And no more defiance We just need your compliance Just give us your compliance We won’t let you feel lost anymore No more self-reliance Fall into line, you will do as you’re told No choice fatigue, your blood is running cold We lose control, the world will fall apart Love of your life, we’ll mend your broken heart Life lived in fear, you need protection You’re all alone, too much rejection We have what you need, just reach out and touch We can save you We just need your compliance We just need your compliance You will feel no pain anymore No more defiance Just give us your compliance Cover your tracks, we know what’s best for you You’ve bitten off, much more than you can chew You’re running scared, you’ll run into our arms Come join our clique, we’ll keep you safe from harm Our toy soldier, you’ll do the dirty work Stay loyal to us, we’ll take away the hurt We have what you need, just reach out and touch We can save you Just give us your compliance We just need your compliance You will feel no pain anymore No more defiance Just give us your compliance Com com com. Com compliance Com com com. Com compliance We can save you Compliance We just need your compliance You will feel no pain anymore And no more defiance We just need your compliance We just need your compliance We won’t let you feel lost anymore No more self-reliance Compliance We just need your compliance You will feel no pain anymore No more defiance We just need your compliance Oh fear is controlling you It’s time to give it up And give in to us We can save you Give us your Compliance

I've never followed any of their social media beyond their mailing list so if there is a clear answer I would be interested. Here are two interviews I've found. The most recent one from yesterday:

Here's one from 2020. He doesn't sound terribly anti vax to me:

I also found a Reddit thread discussing thematic possibilities before the album after Won't Stand Down released. Two posters claim they read / heard he and his family were vaccinated.

This wouldn't be my first time throwing out an artist I loved who turned out to be terrible, but maybe we are safe here? Again if anyone finds a definitive statement one way or the other, please share. I googled "is Muse anti vax" and "is Matt Bellamy anti vax" for my searches today.

Yeah, it's likely they're all vaccinated, but the lyrics to "compliance" are explicitly giving room for the interpretation of anti-vax thought. I mean, it's pretty specific.

Like, you don't have to say the word "vaccination" to espouse anti-vax ideology. I think all of us here know how dog whistles work, and those song lyrics are more of a... dog siren

Yeah, it's likely they're all vaccinated, but the lyrics to "compliance" are explicitly giving room for the interpretation of anti-vax thought. I mean, it's pretty specific.

Like, you don't have to say the word "vaccination" to espouse anti-vax ideology. I think all of us here know how dog whistles work, and those song lyrics are more of a... dog siren
I agree Compliance fits entirely comfortably into an antivax reading ("fear is controlling you it's time to give it up" being the biggest red flag for me) along with how the first half of the music video features a grimy drug store which could easily stand in for vaccines. It's disturbing. One of my until now smaller fears with Muse lyrics is intentionally being vague enough to play both sides. In this case that pro vax and anti vax readers could come away feeling like it spoke to them both which is dangerous.

I hadn't seen the music video when I posted my thread and I had only heard the song once. Them being antivax specifically was never a fear of mine walking into this album, but I had never followed them on social media so I never really knew them or anything beyond their music and the basic promotion / interviews they put up leading up to each album that wind up in album books and wikis. I've always assumed they were anti right wing, pro liberal (Take A Bow being well known as very specifically anti-Bush for example), but anti vax assholes are across the isle. When you said they were antivax, I easily could see their anti authoritarian beliefs and fascination for conspiracy topics fitting right in with anti-vax beliefs. Until they come out to clarify it, I'm already disappointed and ready to walk away even if I still hope it's not true. A playing both sides scenario like I described above would be equally disappointing for me, because by not rejecting it, I'd consider them for it. Until clarification comes out, I'm not going to be as excited for this album or for them. I want to be hopeful, but I'm ready to walk away.

Gonna be honest, Muse has been doing the "rebellious" phase shtick as their main gimmick since 2009 and has run with the theme long before that.

Which, maybe, gives more credibility to them playing both sides argument. Maybe their songs are problematic because of a dedication to neutrality, or rather a lack of dedication to bettering social discourse.

But honestly? My interpretation is that the theatrics are just kind of their brand. They're operatic, they're bombastic, they don't read the room and they mostly live in a made up world. I think they're just a bit too theatrical for their own good for anyone who puts a super critical eye to them, a lot of the people who get into Muse are teenagers who are more susceptible to (no offense to older fans!) rebellious music. They had an entire album released in 2009 that was basically just sci-fi theatrics as a throwback to progressive rock concept albums. They direct their entire lives like a stage play.

Not saying that this stuff can't be interpretated as problematic, but rather I don't think there's anything particularly "pointed" about their music? You just kind of interpret what you want. I mean, for example, I think those lyrics could easily sound like they're about the rise of the alt-right. Isn't the alt-right's shtick kind of preying on the young, vulnerable, and lonely by offering up friendship for compliance? I don't think there's really much intent with their lyricism to be pro-anti-vax or anti-anti-vax honestly.

Just as I wouldn't read that much into something like Take A Bow, which to me seems to be pretty clearly an anti-conservative song released during the height of George Bushes' presidency, I also wouldn't read too much into these lyrics. At least in my opinion.

Gonna be honest, Muse has been doing the "rebellious" phase shtick as their main gimmick since 2009 and has run with the theme long before that.

Which, maybe, gives more credibility to them playing both sides argument. Maybe their songs are problematic because of a dedication to neutrality, or rather a lack of dedication to bettering social discourse.

But honestly? My interpretation is that the theatrics are just kind of their brand. They're operatic, they're bombastic, they don't read the room and they mostly live in a made up world. I think they're just a bit too theatrical for their own good for anyone who puts a super critical eye to them, a lot of the people who get into Muse are teenagers who are more susceptible to (no offense to older fans!) rebellious music. They had an entire album released in 2009 that was basically just sci-fi theatrics as a throwback to progressive rock concept albums. They direct their entire lives like a stage play.

Not saying that this stuff can't be interpretated as problematic, but rather I don't think there's anything particularly "pointed" about their music? You just kind of interpret what you want. I mean, for example, I think those lyrics could easily sound like they're about the rise of the alt-right. Isn't the alt-right's shtick kind of preying on the young, vulnerable, and lonely by offering up friendship for compliance? I don't think there's really much intent with their lyricism to be pro-anti-vax or anti-anti-vax honestly.

Just as I wouldn't read that much into something like Take A Bow, which to me seems to be pretty clearly an anti-conservative song released during the height of George Bushes' presidency, I also wouldn't read too much into these lyrics. At least in my opinion.
Yeah to this point, if you click on their Compliance music video and look at the comments there’s a lot that just say “wow that’s bold/deep” and “wow that really spoke to me” and “they still get me” with no further explanation on what they reacted to.

It’s something that I’ve found frustrating as a fan before this particular song.

I agree Compliance fits entirely comfortably into an antivax reading ("fear is controlling you it's time to give it up" being the biggest red flag for me) along with how the first half of the music video features a grimy drug store which could easily stand in for vaccines. It's disturbing.

Yeah, just took a look at the music video and all the "drones" standing in line for their pills are wearing masks. It's pretty explicitly anti-vax.

Yeah, just took a look at the music video and all the "drones" standing in line for their pills are wearing masks. It's pretty explicitly anti-vax.
Lol that is pretty bad. My bad then :(. I was basing it off the lyrics in the post. I haven't been a fan for a while so I didn't check out the music video much aside from some skimming. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding! I thought it was just their usual vague political poetry shtick. Now I feel like a jackass lol.

Lol that is pretty bad. My bad then :(. I was basing it off the lyrics in the post. I haven't been a fan for a while so I didn't check out the music video much aside from some skimming. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding! I thought it was just their usual vague political poetry shtick. Now I feel like a jackass lol.

No don't worry lol, you were right about the lyrics being vague. I was going off the lyrics and didn't really have any hard evidence until I just watched the video. You still make some good points!

Matt Bellamy has been espousing conspiracy theories and using them as fodder for his edgelord, vaguely rebellious songwriting for decades. At one point, he was a 9/11 "truther" though he's now at least admitted he got that one wrong.

Bellamy using antivax imagery to sell his music while being safely vaccinated is entirely on brand.

Oof, yeah, there's no way they didn't know what they were doing there. Though I'm not sure what's worse, the idea that they actually are anti-vax or that they just think it's convenient imagery to sell their meaningless conspiracy edgelord schtick.

I was already kinda over Muse despite enjoying them a lot when I was younger, because their conspiracy shtick got really old and samey. If they're actually anti vax instead of just doing a bit that's still really disappointing though.
I had the same experience. They became the musical equivalent of being cornered by some guy at a party who won't stop telling you about 'connecting the dots' and 'his research'.

His research is Reddit and Joe Rogan.

Muse and their politics haven't aged very well, I fear. It seems like they never bothered to pick a book and their political positions are based around having watched Zeitgeist in 2008. Their music post-2006 has also not been as interesting as it could've.

Shame.

Last edited:
muse has been writing generic songs about RESISTANCE for over a decade...i stopped listening around the 2nd law & Drones when the music stopped being good enough to make up for the lyrics having the depth of a puddle

I’ve been calling them Matt Bellamy and the Tinfoil Hats since at least The Resistance. I wouldn’t say this is anything new, except perhaps in social acceptability.

You could roll your eyes and groove when they were singing about MK Ultra.

The only thing I ever liked from muse was their tiny fraction of a cover of house of the rising sun, which I thought was an interesting take.

I tried a few of their songs and just didn't care for it. Guess I dodged some disappointment.

Muse is a super boring group, like super boring, i never understood why they got so big in the first place, the fact that they are anti-vax just make it worse but somehow unsurprising. Glad that i was never a fan even when my pals were like "OMG MUSE FUCKING RULESSSSSSSS" during Black Holes and Revelations days, never got onboard the love train.

Back
Top Bottom