• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Fun Club Most cringe naming convention?

Aside from the ones mentioned, Castlevania got some of the best names.

I often wonder how a lot of these names sound for English natives. Like I never thought about Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, but that has to be silly af for an English native right? Same with the Team Asano games that have been mentioned, I realize they are silly, but stuff like Various Daylife has to be absurd as a title if English is your native language.

Naming convention?
Anything with "Chronicles" or "Origins" as the sub-title. Can't be any further than originality. Sonic and Assassin's Creed somehow have the honor of having entries with BOTH. Have some creativity, people.

Gaming convention?
PAX West, maybe.
‘Rising/Uprising’ as a title is a bit overdone at this point too. Also ‘Revolution’ or ‘Revelations’. All in the ‘generic, meaningless subtitle’ category.

Aside from the ones mentioned, Castlevania got some of the best names.

I often wonder how a lot of these names sound for English natives. Like I never thought about Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, but that has to be silly af for an English native right? Same with the Team Asano games that have been mentioned, I realize they are silly, but stuff like Various Daylife has to be absurd as a title if English is your native language.
‘Revengeance’ I always find particularly silly given that ‘revenge’ already exists as a word that does the same thing. I guess silly portmanteaus are easy to trademark and are good for SEO.

i don't like to call things cringe but i do think we need a moratorium on "re-[word relevant to the game]" titles for remakes/remasters.
reborn, reroll, reignited, reloaded, reloaded, reloaded, resurrected, recollection, etc.
I'll admit I actually kinda like this current "re[word]" trend. Feels a little more creative than simply sticking "Remake/Remaster" into the title and calling it a day.

Don't even get me started on the difference between Dracula X vs Rondo, where the actual first real localization of Rondo was part of Dracula X chronicles, which makes it sound like the fucked up SNES version, but actually the original Japanese release was called Castlevania Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, so it's just canonizing the name, but the name it's emphasizing is the version used for the fucked up version ..... it's a good example of how splitting a title into two can be bad even if I get what they were going for
Well this has to do with two other whole messes: what Dracula X Chronicles actually is, and the horrible nature of Castlevania titles in general.

A lot of people have probably read that it's called Akumajou Dracula in Japan at some point or another, but the reality is Castlevania titles are so incredibly fucked that there is actually no region where every entry so much as uses the same name for the series. And not even in like a "it used to be Dragon Warrior here for legal reasons but then they changed it" sense, there was just zero consistency. Early entries are a mess with no coherent naming scheme, and we got the Harmony of Dissonance/Despair confusion and had to nickname it Castlevania 64, but America actually got off the easiest here. At least we have a distinct way to refer to each game, and a mostly consistent way of referring to the series as a whole!

Akumajou Dracula is the name of the original NES Castlevania, and also like four or five other games, which do not necessarily correlate with the ones also known as simply "Castlevania" in various regions. Also btw a bunch of them have different PAL names too, but that's not important right now. In Japan, it's not simply "Akumajou Dracula: Opera of Sinister Intent" or what have you. A lot of titles are at least partly tied to that original name, like Akumajou Densetsu (Castlevania III) or Dracula Densetsu (The Adventure), but you really cannot assume what they're going to be called or in what way if any two entries with a similar title will be related. Even later in the series, after the English naming scheme stabilized, you had fuckery like the period where they tried and failed to change the name of the series to Castlevania in Japan for a while. So you get Castlevania: Minuet of Dawn for the GBA and its DS sequel, Akumajou Dracula: Cross of the Blue Moon. Just an unbelievable mess.

The reason it's called The Dracula X Chronicles is because it's a collection of the Akumajou Dracula X games. That name is always used for the Richter-era Castlevania entries in Japan (up to and including the TV series, I believe), which is refreshingly straightforward. ...Except the name Dracula X Chronicles makes no sense here because:

a) This is primarily an original remake of Rondo with altered versions of some (but not all!) related games also included as a sort of high effort bonus, it's a weird release in general in terms of just what it's supposed to be. Much like the previous Castlevania Chronicles actually, which is also sort of presented like a collection but is just a romhack of one old game basically.

b) Dracula X was a name only used in English for the SNES kaizo hack Lost Levels version of Rondo of Blood, and only in America. That game isn't even included here, so nobody knows what the fuck this Dracula X Chronicles is supposed to be chronicling, the reasoning behind the name is completely lost, and if you do think you know what Dracula X is you're actually wrong.

A name like "Castlevania: Rondo of Blood Chronicles", while a bit stilted, would still have made a lot more sense for the English release. Or maybe Chronicles of the Night, banking off recognition of Symphony since it is included here and telling people "hey, here are these other games associated with it"?

Well this has to do with two other whole messes: what Dracula X Chronicles actually is, and the horrible nature of Castlevania titles in general.

A lot of people have probably read that it's called Akumajou Dracula in Japan at some point or another, but the reality is Castlevania titles are so incredibly fucked that there is actually no region where every entry so much as uses the same name for the series. And not even in like a "it used to be Dragon Warrior here for legal reasons but then they changed it" sense, there was just zero consistency. Early entries are a mess with no coherent naming scheme, and we got the Harmony of Dissonance/Despair confusion and had to nickname it Castlevania 64, but America actually got off the easiest here. At least we have a distinct way to refer to each game, and a mostly consistent way of referring to the series as a whole!

Akumajou Dracula is the name of the original NES Castlevania, and also like four or five other games, which do not necessarily correlate with the ones also known as simply "Castlevania" in various regions. Also btw a bunch of them have different PAL names too, but that's not important right now. In Japan, it's not simply "Akumajou Dracula: Opera of Sinister Intent" or what have you. A lot of titles are at least partly tied to that original name, like Akumajou Densetsu (Castlevania III) or Dracula Densetsu (The Adventure), but you really cannot assume what they're going to be called or in what way if any two entries with a similar title will be related. Even later in the series, after the English naming scheme stabilized, you had fuckery like the period where they tried and failed to change the name of the series to Castlevania in Japan for a while. So you get Castlevania: Minuet of Dawn for the GBA and its DS sequel, Akumajou Dracula: Cross of the Blue Moon. Just an unbelievable mess.

The reason it's called The Dracula X Chronicles is because it's a collection of the Akumajou Dracula X games. That name is always used for the Richter-era Castlevania entries in Japan (up to and including the TV series, I believe), which is refreshingly straightforward. ...Except the name Dracula X Chronicles makes no sense here because:

a) This is primarily an original remake of Rondo with altered versions of some (but not all!) related games also included as a sort of high effort bonus, it's a weird release in general in terms of just what it's supposed to be. Much like the previous Castlevania Chronicles actually, which is also sort of presented like a collection but is just a romhack of one old game basically.

b) Dracula X was a name only used in English for the SNES kaizo hack Lost Levels version of Rondo of Blood, and only in America. That game isn't even included here, so nobody knows what the fuck this Dracula X Chronicles is supposed to be chronicling, the reasoning behind the name is completely lost, and if you do think you know what Dracula X is you're actually wrong.

A name like "Castlevania: Rondo of Blood Chronicles", while a bit stilted, would still have made a lot more sense for the English release. Or maybe Chronicles of the Night, banking off recognition of Symphony since it is included here and telling people "hey, here are these other games associated with it"?
Yeah I remember the PSP game being bizarre here, in that sense it seems really unlikely that a Castlevania collection today that included Symphony of the Night would both lock it behind in-game achievement, and also barely mention it.

Reminds me of how Contra/Probotector is all over the place in Europe too, and so is the confusion across the Mana and Saga games on Game Boy. Mystic Quest in NA on SNES is a sort of introduction to JRPGs, but Mystic Quest on GB in Europe is the first Mana game. Final Fantasy Legend on GB? Yeah those are the Saga games. As we didn’t get any FF before FFVII on the PS1.

Localisation was all over the place until relatively recently, back then it wasn’t uncommon at all to take a random game and slap the branding of anything familiar in the territory it was being sold in on it.

The Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle games are another fun one, where it gets reskinned as at least 5 different licensed properties, including Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure, Garfield, Mickey Mouse and Ghostbusters!

Last edited:
The single worst naming convention though is just calling something the series title.
I'm sure the businessmen feel very clever when they do it, but it just means people have to refer to games in an unofficial way, like Doom 2016 or Killer Instinct 2013.

An especially big "fuck off" to the Xbox One and Mortal Kombat 1 for making people have to retroactively change how they refer to an old thing.

I can't think of many cringe area or character names or anything, but I also usually eat up tryhard stuff so, y'know.
Even worst when said game ISNT a reboot, God of war and DOOM couldve easily been GOW 4 and DOOM 4 given they arent actually reboots but sequels

Super and DS, sure, but they really didn't have to do the "stick the console letter, abbreviation or syllable at the end of the name" with Wii U.

Wii Fit U, goddamnit it sounds goofy.

The Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle games are another fun one, where it gets reskinned as at least 5 different licensed properties, including Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure, Garfield, Mickey Mouse and Ghostbusters!
That's pretty crazy, but nothing beats Wonder Boy, which is decently confusing on its own with numbering and name change shenanigans abound, but also has a whole multiverse of reskins that kept spawning their own sequels which often weren't reskins of existing games, meaning the actual scope of the series is vastly larger than it first appears. There are charts:

8BzKYeh.png

wonder-boy-lineage.png

Wonder_Boy_-_Adventure_Island_Series_chart.svg

Note that none of these are remotely complete or definitive and are actually simplifying and leaving a lot of things out, which you can see in how the structure and entries listed varies wildly between them. It's that bad.

That's pretty crazy, but nothing beats Wonder Boy, which is decently confusing on its own with numbering and name change shenanigans abound, but also has a whole multiverse of reskins that kept spawning their own sequels which often weren't reskins of existing games, meaning the actual scope of the series is vastly larger than it first appears. There are charts:

8BzKYeh.png

wonder-boy-lineage.png

Wonder_Boy_-_Adventure_Island_Series_chart.svg

Note that none of these are remotely complete or definitive and are actually simplifying and leaving a lot of things out, which you can see in how the structure and entries listed varies wildly between them. It's that bad.
Yeah good shout. Both the recent ones (Dragons Trap remake by Lizard cube and Monster Boy in the Cursed Kingdom) are excellent but again it’s wild that they are by different developers and under different names.

The old Master System ‘the mega cartridge’ boxes are so funny, such amateur art, even at the time I remember thinking they just looked terrible

Using roman numerals. There is a reason why nobody uses them in day to day life and that is because calculating with them is stupid. Also every company that wants me to say X as ten should pay me 10€ every time I have to say it as ten.

‘Revengeance’ I always find particularly silly given that ‘revenge’ already exists as a word that does the same thing. I guess silly portmanteaus are easy to trademark and are good for SEO.
Revengeance is an actual word, though. It's rare, but it dates back centuries. It wasn't something Kojima and Platinum came up with.

Attacks on other users you disagree with is unacceptable, and you returned from a ban for similar behavior - BassForever, Meatbag, blg, Azrael
Using roman numerals. There is a reason why nobody uses them in day to day life and that is because calculating with them is stupid. Also every company that wants me to say X as ten should pay me 10€ every time I have to say it as ten.
I can feel the Ignorance dripping thru my phone screen... 😘

Revengeance is an actual word, though. It's rare, but it dates back centuries. It wasn't something Kojima and Platinum came up with.

Ah fair enough. It’s just archaic (much like a lot of words pre-dating the printing press) and thus sounds forced to the point where it now sounds like a made up portmanteau :D

Last edited:
If I can say a naming convention I love (as I’m always one to balance a negative with a positive)

I love overly wordy subtitles! Dragon Quest is chock full of them. “Echoes of an Elusive Age” “Hand of the Heavenly Bride” “Chapters of the Chosen” etc etc. love them.

My all time favourite (that I wish came over to the English release) was Yakuza Like A Dragon’s Japanese title: “Like A Dragon 7: The Whereabouts of Light and Darkness”

They look cool

Even worst when said game ISNT a reboot, God of war and DOOM couldve easily been GOW 4 and DOOM 4 given they arent actually reboots but sequels
The funny thing is that Doom 2016 is actually a direct sequel to Doom 64, and Doom 3 is a reboot. Id just kinda sucks at naming, look at the Quake series and how half of those games are completely unrelated to Quake, but are instead sequels to Quake II which is entirely different until Champions and the Nightdive remaster combined the lore finally.

Not really a convention as I can only think of one game doing it, but Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut is double dipping. Pick either DX or Director's Cut.

Director's Cut also comes off as a little goofy as I tend not to associate video games so closely with their directors (if I even knew who it was) to where that moniker becomes something meaningful. It would resonate more strongly with a Kojima game than a Sonic title.

Director's Cut also comes off as a little goofy as I tend not to associate video games so closely with their directors (if I even knew who it was) to where that moniker becomes something meaningful. It would resonate more strongly with a Kojima game than a Sonic title.
it's funny you mention Kojima because Death Stranding's expanded rerelease was inexplicably called "Director's Cut", making it sound like the original version was somehow not a product he had complete directorial control over, despite how much he presents himself as responsible for every single aspect of the game lol

it's funny you mention Kojima because Death Stranding's expanded rerelease was inexplicably called "Director's Cut", making it sound like the original version was somehow not a product he had complete directorial control over, despite how much he presents himself as responsible for every single aspect of the game lol
Even he agrees that calling it a director's cut is silly. Definitely a publisher thing.

If I can say a naming convention I love (as I’m always one to balance a negative with a positive)

I love overly wordy subtitles! Dragon Quest is chock full of them. “Echoes of an Elusive Age” “Hand of the Heavenly Bride” “Chapters of the Chosen” etc etc. love them.

My all time favourite (that I wish came over to the English release) was Yakuza Like A Dragon’s Japanese title: “Like A Dragon 7: The Whereabouts of Light and Darkness”
Dragon Quest's are so great, the German names are great too! "Die Chronik der Erkorenen" just sounds so gooood, I prefer it to the English "Chapters of the Chosen" even which also sounds nice.

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life is another great one for that franchise in my opinion

I cringe with adoration at Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengance of the Slayer. I hate that name so much. It's perfect and beautiful.

Any game title that’s a nonsensical mix of letters, numbers and punctuation that’s utterly meaningless to anyone not already on board with the series. I just skip on past so many games where it’s not even the box art that puts me off, it’s the title.

I'm not a huge fan of Nintendo just sticking "New" on things and calling it a day (something they thankfully seem o have moved away from). It kinda worked the once, for the first New Super Mario Bros, but that really should have been the end of it imo

it's hard for me to whittle it down to a specific naming convention. if it's cringe, you know. cringe spans all genres and naming conventions.

like I can't even fault cartoonishly long, wackily punctuated titles that are falling down anime stairs

the worst naming conventions in this world still have wildly amusing uses

would I rob the world of The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie – Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa?

no. no I would not.

(besides, they already did that themselves...)

Anything from Call of Duty within the last decade was my first thought.

It used to be such a great franchise, and it's now really just a rehash of existing games that for some reason just had to be remade for no other reason than being a cash grab.

Been contemplating on reinstalling the original game plus its expansion (remember those?), plus COD2. It was a different era during those times...

aw come on have a little fun once in a while

it's a cute name and it makes sense. the joyful entendres!
Don’t get me wrong, I hold both those consoles in high regards. I experienced gameplay with them that makes Switch pale in comparison, but those names…yeesh!

Back
Top Bottom