• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Fun Club Most cringe naming convention?

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
What naming convention out there do you think is the most cringe, or something that immediately makes your nose wrinkle?

Here are some examples of naming conventions:

Generic: "The Village of Woodland"
Tryhard: "Mountain of Naezaloth's Inner Furies"
Edgy: "The Eternal Bloodlust of Despair"
Weird: "Ibby's Fickly-dickly workshop-y"
Weeb: "Bowl of Sionis Alpha"

What naming convention out there do you think is the most cringe, or something that immediately makes your nose wrinkle?

I don't know how these names are meant to correspond to these labels. Or what weeb is meant to represent in this context, other than it's questionably derogatory for no reason?

I have a bit of a soft spot for tryhard names, at least when they have enough goodwill for me to buy in. You can definitely tell when they're going heavy into the "tryhard" version though. Probably the most cringe to me would be the ultra-edgy type.

All the DS namings. 1 time, sure thats clever. 10+ come on, just move on

"Dual Strike"
"Dual simptahy"
"Dragon Sword"
"Dawn of sorrow"
"Dragon Song"
"Double shift"
"Dark Souls" (from the bleach game)

Also the person that thinks using alliterations in all the dragon quest titles for the west is something clever should get banned from writing again

I dislike throwing on things like "Saga" or "Chronicles" to title that are fine without it, I guess in an attempt to make it seem part of something grander. Xenoblade Chronicles? Unnecessary. Candy Crush Saga? Rigoddamndiculous.

Not cringe really, but I really wish the last 4 Monkey Ball games were not just named "Banana _____"

Banana Splitz, Banana Blitz HD (no relation to Splitz btw), Banana Mania, and now Banana Rumble.
I already saw people buy BBHD instead of Banana Mania by accident, I really hope that confusion doesn't happen again with Rumble.
1 & 2 Remake was a much better name for Banana Mania, I wish we got the Japanese name.

Are we talking game titles, or things within games like characters or places?

The single worst naming convention though is just calling something the series title.
I'm sure the businessmen feel very clever when they do it, but it just means people have to refer to games in an unofficial way, like Doom 2016 or Killer Instinct 2013.

An especially big "fuck off" to the Xbox One and Mortal Kombat 1 for making people have to retroactively change how they refer to an old thing.

I can't think of many cringe area or character names or anything, but I also usually eat up tryhard stuff so, y'know.

"Dual Strike"
"Dual simptahy"
"Dragon Sword"
"Dawn of sorrow"
"Dragon Song"
"Double shift"

Also the person that thinks using alliterations in all the dragon quest titles for the west is something clever should get banned from writing again
Nah, Devil Survivor is rad

Nah, Devil Survivor is rad
Yeah I'll admit that one is clever BUT this takes us to another issue related to the thread, using names that are not actually related to the game.

It's Megami Ibonruku, Devil Summoner and Digital Devil Saga, not SMT for everything. Thank the devils Atlus is not doing that anymore with P5

As a sorta outsider when I get recommended a Tales game I immediately forget it because maybe half of them sound the same and end with -ia. I honestly think it might be the worst named series because I've played 3 of them and I can not for the life of me remember the names because each time I hear of "Tales of Bersiria" or whatever my mind just resets. Is that the one I've played?

Also dislike it when a series with a very clear naming convention adds a subtitle. I don't blame Yakuza for veering off the numbers after Kiryu's saga, but why'd you have to name one "The Song of Life" after all English names were just 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5?

As a sorta outsider when I get recommended a Tales game I immediately forget it because maybe half of them sound the same and end with -ia. I honestly think it might be the worst named series because I've played 3 of them and I can not for the life of me remember the names because each time I hear of "Tales of Bersiria" or whatever my mind just resets. Is that the one I've played?

Gintama taught us that this is a trick to insert other franchises and no one will be able to notice

sogCrBi.jpeg

I don't know how these names are meant to correspond to these labels. Or what weeb is meant to represent in this context, other than it's questionably derogatory for no reason?
It’s meant to represent bad jrpg names.

Like .hack
Kingdom hearts
Dragon quest

All the space waifu games.

For example : Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel, Zettai Hero Project: Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, infinite undiscoverey

All the game names with weird punctuation. I saw one in the box art thread called ‘Death end re;Quest Code Z’ which pretty much sums it up.

Street Fighter II takes the cake
Let's look at how confusing this is

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
Vanilla version, simple enough

Street Fighter II: Champion Edition
A minor update that had some balance changes, allowed for real mirror matches, and added the four big villains of Street Fighter II

Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
The second update and for some reason they decided to add two subtitles this time .... ok .... makes it needlessly confusing for no reason.
This adds way more confusion than it may seem, as it's often shortened to either Turbo or Hyper Fighting, making it sound like two separate versions.
Arguably the best version of Street Fighter II on 4th gen consoles, the most competitive version, made the game way faster hence the turbo

Ok so so far this doesn't sound that bad, right?

Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
This has got a terrible name for so many reasons, first is that just like Hyper Fighting it is usually either shortened to Super Street Fighter II or Street Fighter II The New Challengers, making it sound like two separate versions again. Second is that it's arguably the worst upgrade Street Fighter II ever got and the second worst version of the game ever released, since while it did add some iconic characters, it both made slower again like before Turbo, and made balance changes that made it less interesting than the first few additions. But because this is Super Street Fighter II and it was on the Super Nintendo, it sounds like the definitive version.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo
So by this point Street Fighter II was doing so bad because Capcom milked it to death, so this didn't even release on SNES. Admittedly it's not too bad of a re-release as far as names go, but it's confusing that it doesn't acknowledge the hyper subtitle at all.

Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition
So get this, despite being called Hyper Street Fighter II, this is actually an extension of Super Street Fighter II Turbo. WHY IS IT SO CONFUSING. The only way you'd make that logical conclusion in your head is by already knowing the intricacies of Street Fighter II naming schemes.

Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
Yes, this is an extension of Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition. No, you have no way of knowing that. In fairness, because it's been so long since the last real edition by this point it was probaby the logical conclusion, but still.

Basically Capcom created so many editions for Street Fighter II they had to use an ever revolving door of subtitles and references to previous subtitles they dropped ...

Like .hack
Kingdom hearts
Dragon quest

For example : Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel, Zettai Hero Project: Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, infinite undiscoverey
I dunno about the others but kinda funny that "Lacrimosa of Dana" is actually a huge spoiler and it's explained in-game but it sounded kinda random at first

Like .hack
Kingdom hearts
Dragon quest

Bad is all subjective, though.

"Dual Strike"
"Dual simptahy"
"Dragon Sword"
"Dawn of sorrow"
"Dragon Song"
"Double shift"

I don't know what my least favorite is but this is up there for my most favorite. I thought these names were fun as hell lol.

Bad is all subjective, though.
When it. Oens to naming things not really.

That’s why there’s teams reasaerching how the market reacts to things.

It’s a proven science and different audiences are receptive to different names.

Jrpg’s have name powercreep. The further they go on the more serious their name becomes, it wouldn’t fly anywhere else but it works well enough though it’s rather infamous like 358/2 days.

I'm not really sure what's cringe about a lot of the things posted in here, so I'll go with none of them.

I think the habit of poking fun at complex game titles or complex naming conventions is what leads to homogenization. Where we get boring, single word and phonetically pleasing names like Corvs, or Tunic, or Destiny or whatever lmao.

Just comes off as really adolescent for me.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo
So by this point Street Fighter II was doing so bad
because Capcom milked it to death, so this didn't even release on SNES. Admittedly it's not too bad of a re-release as far as names go, but it's confusing that it doesn't acknowledge the hyper subtitle at all.

Super SF2 is the third highest selling installment in the SF2 anthology, so this feels like a lie.

You guys got it all wrong, it's X, especially during these times.

Mega Man X
Guilty Gear XX
Pokémon X
Gunlord X
Xenoblade X
Mortal Kombat X/XL
F-Zero X

They all belong to MuskX

When it. Oens to naming things not really.

That’s why there’s teams reasaerching how the market reacts to things.

It’s a proven science and different audiences are receptive to different names.

Jrpg’s have name powercreep. The further they go on the more serious their name becomes, it wouldn’t fly anywhere else but it works well enough though it’s rather infamous like 358/2 days.
This is all subjective. Like, if you think "Kingdom Hearts" is cringe, that's a you thing. Or titles that have meanings that aren't immediately evident are somehow cringe. Not every title is great, but if you're sitting and laughing at Lacrimosa of Dana, that's really you and not the title.

This is all subjective. Like, if you think "Kingdom Hearts" is cringe, that's a you thing. Or titles that have meanings that aren't immediately evident are somehow cringe. Not every title is great, but if you're sitting and laughing at Lacrimosa of Dana, that's really you and not the title.
Latin is a very funny language, so yes, lacrimosa is kinda funny lol

Super SF2 is the third highest selling installment in the SF2 anthology, so this feels like a lie.
It's not really a lie .... Super Street Fighter II Turbo's arcade release was the first major hit to sales, not the previous console version. It was the arcade version that got a notorious reputation and received a lot of complaints and got a lot of business owners mad. But that means that by SSFII Turbo's console release, Street Fighter mania was already starting to die down a bit due to oversaturation and a lack of quality control. And I mean .... this is easily just verifiable by the own numbers you are using, Street Fighter 2 was big enough that the first few iterations were always going to sell well, but each iteration kept selling about half the previous until Super Turbo's decline was so bad it wasn't even worth reporting.

Regardless ... kind of a weird thing to get stuck up on.

Octopath Traveler
Bravely Default
Triangle Strategy
Various Daylife

I don't know what the hell you call this Square Enix naming scheme, but I like it.

I wish Midgar and Nibelheim were just Midgard and Niflheim.

Mega Man X
I think Mega Man X is a very cool name but it's funny how hard of a precedent it set, because Mega Man X basically feels like the real evolution on Mega Man despite Capcom running both series side by side, so it feels like every time the platformers evolve you should have a new letter, but we already have Mega Man Zero and ZA, so if they brought back Mega Man with a new evolved gameplay style what would you even call it? You've run out of letters Capcom!

That a 3rd banjo game should be called banjo threeeie
I actually like this name, but the issue again is precedence. Banjo Tooie already fucked up by taking Kazooie out of the name, and even though it runs off the tongue better than Threeie, it also sounds less funny and more stupid.

I actually like this name, but the issue again is precedence. Banjo Tooie already fucked up by taking Kazooie out of the name, and even though it runs off the tongue better than Threeie, it also sounds less funny and more stupid.
Am I being gaslit by this thread? These names are the best...

i don't like to call things cringe but i do think we need a moratorium on "re-[word relevant to the game]" titles for remakes/remasters.
reborn, reroll, reignited, reloaded, reloaded, reloaded, resurrected, recollection, etc.

the past-tense ones especially grind my gears lol. maybe we should drop "remastered" out of rotation too, it never really made sense outside of music rereleases and we've all just turned a blind eye to it! nintendo's recent strategy of just reusing the original title (or shortening it, in Super Mario RPG's case) for their recent big rereleases is refreshing—i feel like that's how we used to do it, right? and resident evil has been pulling it off since 2002.

Souls boss names were pretty cool at the time, but today so many games try to do that they all sound cringe as hell.
Phelgethor-Keeper of the Holy Flame
Maleus-Son of Sinful Nest
Gestalt-Knight of Eternal Despair

Generic: "The Village of Woodland" Zelda
Tryhard: "Mountain of Naezaloth's Inner Furies" Sometimes From Soft
Edgy: "The Eternal Bloodlust of Despair" Usually From Soft boss names
Weird: "Ibby's Fickly-dickly workshop-y" Banjo
Weeb: "Bowl of Sionis Alpha" Xenoblade/Fantasy star I can see. Kind of a generic Sci-fi convention naming though. There's plenty of Western equivalents.

All are fine in the right context.

Anyway, Anything that it isn't obvious what the product actually is. Series titles (followed by fans with year of release), or a bloody 1/one at the end. or the name is so long and convoluted I cannot parse it. I shouldn't need Wikipedia to buy a product.

Any sort of wild imbalance in the ratio of title to subtitle.
Like "The Legend of Zelda: The Thing of Something" flows perfectly well.
"Beyond: Two Souls" is 1:2, and it's three common words, no one is ever going to call it "Beyond" or "Two Souls" have anyone know what they're talking about, nor are they going to pronounce it with a slight pause in the middle, they're just gonna say the whole thing like a sentence ignoring the colon.

For straight up cringe location names, Warcraft takes the cake with its compound words trying too hard to sound cool. Ironforge, Duskvale, Darkshore, Stormwind, Westfall, etc.

They can't all be winners, but I do agree though not exactly for the labeled reasons. Anything can be labeled and categorized, I'm not for that. But yeah, most examples in thread I do strongly dislike. Especially the possible notion of Banjo-Threeie following up Banjo-Tooie. Who the fuck is "Threeie"? Both are bad names.

But back to my first point, what would we all be complaining about if everything that came out was always spectacular in concept and execution? What would that world look like?

So yeah, they can't all be winners.

The 'DS' naming convention was fucking awesome. And so was Kingdom Hearts' later take on it with 'Dream Drop Distance' (3D). It's a more creative variant of naming games 'Super' / 'Advance' / '64' on the SNES / GBA / N64. The name 'Super Castlevania IV' looks especially grating with its double dipping. Yes, I'm aware that in the pre-/early Internet days of video game marketing, tagging these games as such would have made it especially clear what they were for and that they were an 'upgrade'.

The name 'Super Castlevania IV' looks especially grating with its double dipping.
Super Castlevania IV has always struck me as absurd beyond the inherent unwieldiness of the name. It's the only Super Castlevania, the only way it's "IV" is that it's the fourth Castlevania on specifically Nintendo home consoles taken as a group, but it's actually a very loose reimagining of the first game that has no more to do with the NES entries than any other 90's Castlevania. I guess it's uh, the fourth version of the Simon Belmont story? 2/3 of those didn't even use the name Castlevania in English though... It's like if they called Final Fantasy VII Remake "Final Fantasy PS4 XVI", just completely nonsensical once you break it down.

It's obvious what they were doing, but they struck out so badly that the only thing I can say for it is that at least they didn't just call it the same thing as the first game the way they did in Japan, contributing to us mercifully not having like five different games all called Castlevania here.

Super Castlevania IV has always struck me as absurd beyond the inherent unwieldiness of the name. It's the only Super Castlevania, the only way it's "IV" is that it's the fourth Castlevania on specifically Nintendo home consoles taken as a group, but it's actually a very loose reimagining of the first game that has no more to do with the NES entries than any other 90's Castlevania. I guess it's uh, the fourth version of the Simon Belmont story? 2/3 of those didn't even use the name Castlevania in English though... It's like if they called Final Fantasy VII Remake "Final Fantasy PS4 XVI", just completely nonsensical once you break it down.

It's obvious what they were doing, but they struck out so badly that the only thing I can say for it is that at least they didn't just call it the same thing as the first game the way they did in Japan, contributing to us mercifully not having like five different games all called Castlevania here.
Don't even get me started on the difference between Dracula X vs Rondo, where the actual first real localization of Rondo was part of Dracula X chronicles, which makes it sound like the fucked up SNES version, but actually the original Japanese release was called Castlevania Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, so it's just canonizing the name, but the name it's emphasizing is the version used for the fucked up version ..... it's a good example of how splitting a title into two can be bad even if I get what they were going for

I mean, use of ‘Super’ on all manner of SNES game titles was a bit silly and makes all the ‘DS’ stuff seem very minor in comparison.

And then there’s all the games with wildly different versions on portable platforms, made by completely different developers, that get given the same brand name and logo.

Naming convention?
Anything with "Chronicles" or "Origins" as the sub-title. Can't be any further than originality. Sonic and Assassin's Creed somehow have the honor of having entries with BOTH. Have some creativity, people.

Gaming convention?
PAX West, maybe.

Back
Top Bottom