• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club More like Pokémon Legends Yaku-Z-A? My Predictions for what Legends Z-A will be.

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
listen to me

It takes place entirely within one city

It, like Yakuza Zero, is going to centre around an urban redevelopment plan

fam you are not going to convince me this isn’t just Pokémon Yakuza

Like, seriously. I know I marked this thread as Fun Club but I’m not funning around here

It’s obvious that Legends Arceus was heavily inspired by the Monster Hunter franchise. You go out on expeditions to hunt (catch) monsters that otherwise terrorize the small old-timey hub-town you hang out in. Yes, It is not 1-to-1 with Monster Hunter in terms of structure or whatever (there‘s sadly no co-op, for example) but the influence is evidently there.

I’m putting my foot down and calling it right now: Pokémon Legends Z-A is going to be Game Freak’s “take” on Yakuza/Like a Dragon.

So what do I mean by this?

No, it will not be a real time beat-em-up. It will be turn based, as it has always been. No, it probably won’t have 30 minute fully voiced cutscenes (though it’d be cool if it did). It will not feature crime or anything untoward. It will not feature gambling.

Here’s my actual prediction for how that game is going to be inspired by the Like a Dragon franchise. I’ll happily take the L if I get any or all of these wrong.

1) The story will take centre stage. It will be more prominent than it usually is in a Pokémon game. It will not be as narrative-focused as a Yakuza/Like a Dragon game is, but it will lean more towards it than Pokémon games tend to with story.

2) There will be substories. You will run into folks throughout the city who need help doing one thing or another. These will be small, self-contained ministories that involve the player helping someone do some task, with the problems always being solved with a Pokémon battle or two.

3) There will be myriad side activities. As I mentioned above, they won’t allow for simulated gambling. However, they will have other minigames and side activities throughout the city. Some examples of non-gambling side activities from Like a Dragon include bowling, batting cages, darts, billiards, slot car racing, real estate management, and, ironically, Pokémon-like “monster” collecting and battling. I will not be surprised if not a single one of these exact examples are included, however there WILL be side activities of varying levels of depth in there. I can imagine, for example, a playable Pokémon pinball table. Maybe the main character will find a Pokémon Mini and can collect and play Pokémon Mini games, much like how Like a Dragon has collectable/playable Sega Master System games.

This is my prediction. It’s going to be a number of months before we learn anything to prove or disprove any of this but I am saying, with utmost confidence, that this is what I think this game is going to be.

And it’s going to rule.

If you traveled back in time to me finishing Y0 in 2018 and told me that this series would eventually be in a position to potentially influence POKEMON of all things I would never believe you.

I will blame you personally if this isn't true, because after reading this, this is exactly what I want.

Oh also:

PREDICTION NUMBER 4) Someone will, in one arm movement remove at least 2 articles of clothing. Obviously no one will be shirtless or anything but I could see a character wearing a disguise and doing one arm movement to take it off and reveal their true identity or something.

If they don't give everyone cool Yakuza-style intros then Game Freak is truly lost

ephdtXS.png

The story will clearly be involving an empty lot in the center of the city.
If they didn’t already show the tower prominently in the trailer, I’d be betting money on there being an empty lot exactly where that tower is hahahaha

@Derachi be like: "I will manifest Ryu Ga Gotoku on Switch, one way or another!"

Seriously though, this would be really cool. You have my sword!

It probably won't be.

Edit: Okay admittingly I did not read OP's opening post and made my judgement based on the title of the thread and after having read it I do agree with OP.

Last edited:
Silly gamers.

You thought TPC was overly worried about Palworld, when it was SEGA and Like a Dragon that were in their crosshairs all along.

Did they really think they could have "Sujimon" in their games, and The Pokemon Company would NOT take notice?!?!

The games directed by Kazumasa Iwao (USUM and Legends: Arceus) were already notable for the amount of sidequests they featured relative to the other games in the series. If Iwao's back on this one, the Lumiose urban renewal angle makes sense to expand on those

From the trailer there is no city at the beginning so I doubt it... You're gonna help build it is my guess, by catching Pokémon and doing chores

I'm fairly sure you're right

There's only so many ways you can pull off a Pokemon game that takes place in a single city and they're probably got going to be doing GT(Z)A

I'm expect it will Game Freak showing Square Enix and the FF7R team how it's done.

A new Yakuman Pokémon game would be good though.
I mean...Remake's Midgar being "Final Fantasy Kamurocho" was the right way to go, if you wanted to focus on just one large city.

The only problem was that a lot of those hours were spent fighting trash mobs, instead of more interesting enemies.

Finally

The fight for the control of the redevelopment plans

BOM BOM

GIOVANNI

PATRIARCH OF THE ROCKET CLAN

AN EVIL TEAM SUBSIDIARY

Oy, Kyoudai, let’s finish this with a Pokémon battle. SHIRTS COME OFF, glorious Pokémon tats

After having set aside some time to actually be smart and read your opening post I have changed my mind and agree with you now, this seems like it's going to be a fun game.
Yeah!! This is what I’m talking about. Welcome to the hype train Gabev!

I think we are going to build out the city in sections. The sections will be wild at first and the pokemon you capture there will be the ones assisting in the rebuilding. You may need to capture X amount of X pokemon to build a certain part of the city and so on.

Pokémon Cabaret Club

Side activities: Rapidash racing, pokémon center real estate, a side story about pokémon contests that are a rhythm-based minigame.

Oh also:

PREDICTION NUMBER 4) Someone will, in one arm movement remove at least 2 articles of clothing. Obviously no one will be shirtless or anything but I could see a character wearing a disguise and doing one arm movement to take it off and reveal their true identity or something.

The stoic protagonist has a Dragonite tattoo. The friend-turned-antagonist has a Magikarp. The antagonist-turned-friend has a Gengar.

Last edited:
The stoic protagonist has a Dragonite tattoo. The friend-turned-antagonist has a Magikarp. The antagonist-turned-friend has a Gengar
you don’t want to know how much brain power I’ve put into the question “if each Yakuza character had a partner Pokémon which Pokémon would they have” because it’s frankly embarrassing

BUT BECAUSE YOU SORTA BROUGHT IT UP

I’m stuck between Charizard and Gyarados for Kiryu. I think Gyarados is more tonally appropriate as it’s literally based on the koi-turned-dragon myth that Kiryu’s character arch is a metaphor for. Nishikiyama would have a Magikarp, it being the koi fish of that same myth.

However, I think Charizard also works because it’s like a dragon. Also, I think as a visual, having Kiryu standing in the street with his big, proud Charizard is just a cool mental visual. Not to mention they could do some awesome visuals like Kiryu putting a cigarette in his mouth and Charizard lighting it for him with his tail.

I think Nishiki gets that Magikarp whether Kiryu gets Gyarados or Charizard. Not just because he has a koi on his back, but because I think it helps with his story. If you’ve played Kiwami you get what I’m talking about.

Majima would need something that represents Majima, which is to say, completely unpredictable. Something so left field he leaves all of his opponents scratching their heads. But also, a Pokémon that Majima could also love, because everyone knows that even though Majima is out of his mind at times, he’s a kind and loving man. So to me I think the best/funniest Pokémon for Majima would be Snubbull. There’s also bonus points of it being a dog, as he is the Mad Dog of Shimano. Everyone who knows him knows not to question it. Anyone stupid enough to question why he has a Snubbull… well, that doesn’t go well for him.

Saejima is a absolutely enormous brick shithouse of a man. His back tattoo is of a tiger (probably because his given name is Taiga lol). If we’re keeping the back tattoo in mind, Incineroar would make the most sense. However, I think given his size and sturdiness, I think Rhyperior or Hariyama would also make a lot of sense.

Ichiban would have a Corphish/Crawdaunt named Nancy. Not elaborating. Play Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

you don’t want to know how much brain power I’ve put into the question “if each Yakuza character had a partner Pokémon which Pokémon would they have” because it’s frankly embarrassing

I’m stuck between Charizard and Gyarados for Kiryu. I think Gyarados is more tonally appropriate as it’s literally based on the koi-turned-dragon myth that Kiryu’s character arch is a metaphor for. Nishikiyama would have a Magikarp, it being the koi fish of that same myth.

However, I think Charizard also works because it’s like a dragon. Also, I think as a visual, having Kiryu standing in the street with his big, proud Charizard is just a cool mental visual. Not to mention they could do some awesome visuals like Kiryu putting a cigarette in his mouth and Charizard lighting it for him with his tail.

I think Nishiki gets that Magikarp whether Kiryu gets Gyarados or Charizard. Not just because he has a koi on his back, but because I think it helps with his story. If you’ve played Kiwami you get what I’m talking about.

Majima would need something that represents Majima, which is to say, completely unpredictable. Something so left field he leaves all of his opponents scratching their heads. But also, a Pokémon that Majima could also love, because everyone knows that even though Majima is out of his mind at times, he’s a kind and loving man. So to me I think the best/funniest Pokémon for Majima would be Snubbull. There’s also bonus points of it being a dog, as he is the Mad Dog of Shimano. Everyone who knows him knows not to question it. Anyone stupid enough to question why he has a Snubbull… well, that doesn’t go well for him.

Saejima is a absolutely enormous brick shithouse of a man. His back tattoo is of a tiger (probably because his given name is Taiga lol). If we’re keeping the back tattoo in mind, Incineroar would make the most sense. However, I think given his size and sturdiness, I think Rhyperior or Hariyama would also make a lot of sense.

Ichiban would have a Corphish/Crawdaunt named Nancy. Not elaborating. Play Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

I have chosen Dragonite to emphasise the dragon of dojima angle, though tonally it'd also make sense to match it with Nishiki's koi by having a Gyarados. In my mind, it would have to be a dragon. Nishiki a Magikarp (could also be a Feebas, now that I think about it, but it evolves into something beautiful, not something powerful).

I went with Gengar for Majima because I think that it being a ghost/mischievous sort of goes with him picking a demon as his tattoo (plus, Gengar has a yokai-like vibe to it). The duality of Majima could also go with... Morpeko, of all pokémon.

Saejima yep, I also see a tank pokémon. Rhydon would be my choice over Rhyperior, because I like to imagine that they've discovered the evolution in the years he spent in the clink. Perhaps also Machamp, Landorus, or Raikou would work.

Goda would have either a Kingdra or a Lugia, being the "dragon of Kansai" (Salamence could work, but it's from Hoenn/Kyushu)

Haven't played LAD yet, so I'll refrain from Ichiban's choice.

Last edited:
I think we are going to build out the city in sections. The sections will be wild at first and the pokemon you capture there will be the ones assisting in the rebuilding. You may need to capture X amount of X pokemon to build a certain part of the city and so on.
That's what I think the game could be too. But what about postgame content if the wild areas aren't anymore after rebuilding?

Quoted by: SNP
That's what I think the game could be too. But what about postgame content if the wild areas aren't anymore after rebuilding?

Something related to the tower in the middle? maybe they will follow PLA again with the 5 area is the main game that involved Xerneas and Yvelta (Dialga/Palkia in PLA) but the tower is the post game that involved Zygarde (Giratina/Arceus) - the actual Pokemon in the title.

It would be extremely weird thematically to have a game about exploring a wild environment and then tearing that down to build a shopping mall with the help of the captured inhabitants. Feels more Palworld-y than Pokemon

Also it's a redevelopment which implies the city was already there

I feel like Falinks or Hydrapple would be more appropriate for Ichiban, his whole thing is his magnetic personality

Back
Top Bottom