• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Monster Hunter Rise hits 10 million sold, Sunbreak 2 million

10 million with Switch an PC isn't bad. Especially if the 7.5 million from Switch as of September is true (sounds kind too good to believe as it would mean at this point... could be 2 million or less on PC).

If we compare it to lifetime sales of MHW (2018 release) of 18 million acrosss PS4, Xbone and PC, that's pretty good too.
Capcom confirmed the game was at 7.7 million on Switch as of the end of 2021, right before the PC release.

10 million with Switch an PC isn't bad. Especially if the 7.5 million from Switch as of September is true (sounds kind too good to believe as it would mean at this point... could be 2 million or less on PC).

If we compare it to lifetime sales of MHW (2018 release) of 18 million acrosss PS4, Xbone and PC, that's pretty good too.

With only 2/3rds the platforms to sell on, it seems to be selling at a considerably accelerated rate compared to world.

Rise has reached 10 million base a little after a year (march to June the next year), with most of the time only being available on one platform

World was at 14 million base a little under 2 years (January to september of the next year) on 3 platforms, most of the time only available on 2.

Sunbreak has sold 2 million in it's opening week.

Ice borne sold 2.8 million it's opening month.

I remember iceborne brought the active player count back up to peak world levels.

I wonder if sunbreak will be able to do the same.

With only 2/3rds the platforms to sell on, it seems to be selling at a considerably accelerated rate compared to world.

Rise has reached 10 million base a little after a year (march to June the next year), with most of the time only being available on one platform

World was at 14 million base a little under 2 years (January to september of the next year) on 3 platforms, most of the time only available on 2.

Sunbreak has sold 2 million in it's opening week.

Ice borne sold 2.8 million it's opening month.

I remember iceborne brought the active player count back up to peak world levels.

I wonder if sunbreak will be able to do the same.
It's tough to compare directly here. For example Sunbreak came to Switch and PC at the same time, while Iceborne only launched on consoles initially. PC reception also seems to be weaker for Rise, and legs don't seem to be as strong as World. When all is said and done, I doubt Rise can get close to World. There's just too many factors at play. But it's a resounding success regardless.

It's tough to compare directly here. For example Sunbreak came to Switch and PC at the same time, while Iceborne only launched on consoles initially. PC reception also seems to be weaker for Rise, and legs don't seem to be as strong as World. When all is said and done, I doubt Rise can get close to World. There's just too many factors at play. But it's a resounding success regardless.
Sunbreak CCU isn't far behind Iceborne though notably.

It's tough to compare directly here. For example Sunbreak came to Switch and PC at the same time, while Iceborne only launched on consoles initially.
Not really, and definitely not for that reason.
Rise= 1 platform launch. Later 2
World= 2 platform launch later 3

sunbreak = 2 platform launch. That's it.
Iceborne = 2 platform launch. Later 3.

PC reception also seems to be weaker for Rise, and legs don't seem to be as strong as World. When all is said and done, I doubt Rise can get close to World. There's just too many factors at play. But it's a resounding success regardless.

Keep in mind, time aligned, world had almost 1 more year worth of sales than rise does right now. So the legs comment doesn't make much sense.

As close as I can get to normalizing it, is capcoms fiscal year 2018/2019 announcement, which had world at 12 million, at about 3 months more than rise currently has on the market, and almost a year after the PC release making the game available on 3 consoles. Rise has only been available on PC for about 5 months.

3 more months on the market plus a year of being available on 3 platforms = 12 million.

3 less months on the market, 2nd platform only being available for 5 months, only 2 platforms instead of 3 = 10 million.

That's a straight up ripper. Even more so since a single platform is carrying like 80% of the sales.

Like, rise on switch has already outsold any single platform (pick ps4, or Xbox, etc) of worlds entire lifetime sales, 4 years worth of sales, with just one year. And it's not like world was a sales slouch. It sold stupid good. This is kinda nuts.

Do you have released launch PC data for iceborne? All I have is the information that was only made available from the Capcom data breach, which i think could be a range anywhere from several months of data, from Jan/2020 release to the breach.

PC Iceborne sales figures
PC USA – 748k
PC EU – 529k
PC Asia – 1036k
PC JAPAN – 137k

Can't really comment much more on this without clearer knowledge of the time period.

Last edited:
It's really awesome to see an amazing game get the sales it deserves.

So many really wonderful titles underperform commercially, especially those with an idiosyncratic identity like MH has, so I find it really heartening to see something that's not afraid to be a bit different light up the charts.

I mean, it's not a huge surprise given the success of MH World and the Switch's own insane popularity, but nonetheless, I love to see it.

From IB
Media Create Sales: Week 26, 2022 (Jun 27 - Jul 03)
___

Famitsu Sales: Week 27, 2022 (Jun 27 - Jul 03)

01./00. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise + Sunbreak Set <Monster Hunter Rise \ Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak> <ACT> (Capcom) {2022.06.30} (¥7.990) - 104.315 / NEW

It's really awesome to see an amazing game get the sales it deserves.

So many really wonderful titles underperform commercially, especially those with an idiosyncratic identity like MH has, so I find it really heartening to see something that's not afraid to be a bit different light up the charts.

I mean, it's not a huge surprise given the success of MH World and the Switch's own insane popularity, but nonetheless, I love to see it.
I don't know if saying I'm surprised is the right word, or relieved? But then I'm not really relieved it just kicked the can down the road?

To explain myself, monhun sales have been on a not particularly common consistently upwards correlation of roughly doubling sales every generation, usually In sales numbers, but basiclally always when normalized. Generally, most people, myself included believe, that at some point this must stop, and either flatten, or fall.

The last of the old style monhuns generation, 4 and gen, left off at 8 million. (4 million each)

Worlds unabashed flying colors meet to this challenge, had many wondering if it was a fluke, or rather THE fluke that would then see the series stabilize, or worst case, fall or snap back.

I was never of that particular notion, although it was always a buzz in the back of my mind. My main reasoning being, the majority of these sales, were from new players. Fresh blood. Glorious new hunters. Even if every single person who bought one or both of the 4th gen releases also bought world, that would only be around 4 million. The rest would be new additions. And being on a different platform than it's immediate predecessor is something to factor in as well.

Similar with rise, although not as distinct, a lot of these have to be new additions. As not every switch owner also owns a PS4/Xbox vice versa etc.

Even not normalizing for time in market, and number of available revenue sources, rise has already left behind the sales world of gen 4, and entered the same ballpark as world. Rise is already the best selling entry in monster hunter history on a single platform.

Kicking the monstrous can down the road, and leaving it on the shoulders of gen 6, to now meet the ever increasing opposing odds of maintaining this incredibly long running upwards correlation.

To which I say to the team that is facing those daunting odds. Good luck, and you have my absolute best regards.

Back
Top Bottom