• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Monolith Soft Development and Speculation |ST|

Because they didn't put her as a blade in Xenoblade 2. Imagine the heart to hearts talking about siren or her trying to cook tora
Yeah that's why we need Xenoblade X on Switch: for the Lin Lee Koo redemption arc!

Monolith Soft artist roundtable. Some new art made by the artists:

illustcompe_senoo01.jpg
The more I look at this piece the better it gets. I am now going to assume that outfit is the standard uniform for Monolith Soft employees

I‘m still waiting for MSI to announce the OST release and the usual complete art book / files for XC3… Maybe they‘re waiting until the DLC is complete?

Highlighting their newer employees like this is really great to see. And this art in particular is the one that I would want to see Monolith do a game based off of. Robots, dinosaurs, and cowboys, oh my!
RDR2 plus mechs plus Turok plus Sawano

With Koh Kojima seemingly not working on the DLC, do you think the next PG1 title is already in full production or that he's just confident in leaving the expansion to other staff?

With Koh Kojima seemingly not working on the DLC, do you think the next PG1 title is already in full production or that he's just confident in leaving the expansion to other staff?
What confirmation is there that he's not working on the DLC?

Quoted by: N75
What confirmation is there that he's not working on the DLC?

Kojima: I have not been able to participate in the development of the Expansion Pass, but the content looks like a lot of fun as I've been watching from the sidelines, so I'm a little jealous. (Laughs) I hope you look forward to it.

DeepL translation of the Japanese version:

Kojima.
I wasn't able to participate in the development of the Expansion Pass, but it looks like a lot of fun from the side, so I'm a little frustrated (laughs).
I hope you are looking forward to it.

What if the Action Game is already in full production and there's only a small team working on the DLC for the moment ?
I don't know if it's possible for PG1 to handle 1 game in pre-production (The next Xenoblade), 1 DLC expansion and 1 game in full production, that's a lot.

Kojima said he wanted to go back to X. X port confirmed. In all seriousness, he’s likely working on the next main project at PG1.

While we’re on the subject of Monolith Soft employees…Yasuyuki Honne has been notably absent for quite a few years now. Since he’s no longer the director of the Kyoto branch, I suspect he‘s working with PG2.

I think we have a quick X port in order. 3 already finishes up the whole original arc quite neatly so i'd imagine that it would be a while till 4. Additionally it would make no sense to leave the switch with being so close to the definitive place for xenoblade but omitting one game stuck on a failed console. Would also fit in well for that 2023 year of ports rumor.
I think this year will be only the Xenoblade Chronicles 3 story expansion, hope it's a big one like Torna and they make it standalone too.
There's the action-adventure game that seems to be still on cards so maybe that one comes this holiday or early 2024.
I think XCX port/remaster will be late 2024 or later and be cross gen.

What if the Action Game is already in full production and there's only a small team working on the DLC for the moment ?
I don't know if it's possible for PG1 to handle 1 game in pre-production (The next Xenoblade), 1 DLC expansion and 1 game in full production, that's a lot.
Considering the scope of Monolith Soft's output and the extent to which they've been growing, I don't think it's unreasonable. I would hazard that the action game has been in development for a while now, overlapping with XC3 and possibly DE, and the planning/concept staff who've finished their work on XC3 or the action game are available to work on something new.

Kojima said he wanted to go back to X. X port confirmed. In all seriousness, he’s likely working on the next main project at PG1.
I wouldn't even necessarily be surprised to see X return with the next console (plus support for optionally using a second Switch to simulate the Wii U gamepad).

While we’re on the subject of Monolith Soft employees…Yasuyuki Honne has been notably absent for quite a few years now. Since he’s no longer the director of the Kyoto branch, I suspect he‘s working with PG2.
But, yes, I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but I'm really looking forward to seeing whatever it is Honne is working on.

There's also Shigekazu Yamada. He worked on BotW after Xenoblade X, but came back as the planning lead for DE / director for Future Connected. Maybe he's working on ToTK, but the game was well under development at that point. Do we know when PG1/2 were officially formed?

In regards to the potential action game, Takahashi has said more than once that PG1 at the very least is focused on Xenoblade. If this game is actually happening, it's likely by PG2.

There's also Shigekazu Yamada. He worked on BotW after Xenoblade X, but came back as the planning lead for DE / director for Future Connected. Maybe he's working on ToTK, but the game was well under development at that point. Do we know when PG1/2 were officially formed?
I think it was possibly mid-2018, when the Xenoblade team began the Definitive Edition and Chronicles 3, but it was certainly no later than early 2019, at which point production group 2 issued a hiring call for Zelda. I don't have the exact dates, though.
In regards to the potential action game, Takahashi has said more than once that PG1 at the very least is focused on Xenoblade. If this game is actually happening, it's likely by PG2.
Yeah, I assumed that any other game from MonolithSoft would be a PG2 project so that PG1 could retain a clear focus on Xenoblade. Maybe staff from PG1 and Zelda are moving over to the action game to help get it finished, now that Xenoblade 3 is out the door and Tears of the Kingdom is presumably 'just' being polished.

I assume their last cross gen game would be XBX DE in 2024 and their new IP, next-gen exclusive game would arrive in 2025.

I forgot to bring this up, but I've been wondering for a while now if Tears of the Kingdom could be using the cloud rendering technique Monolith developed for Xenoblade 2.

53b9389c7711ecd0f9e0c540cf364a818c-zelda.jpg

1200x-1.jpg

2017112618431900-659B13F48903294AE2B3FA4F12DA9898.jpg

it has to stop at some point, they can't just keep growing and growing

unless....

the year is 2200 and every person on the planet now works for Monolith Soft, new cloning factories are being opened daily to meet the relentless demand for new employees, and 5 new languages have been created because there weren't enough words to stick after Xeno in the titles of new games

extrapolating.png

unless....

the year is 2200 and every person on the planet now works for Monolith Soft, new cloning factories are being opened daily to meet the relentless demand for new employees, and 5 new languages have been created because there weren't enough words to stick after Xeno in the titles of new games

extrapolating.png
maybe now they (or we I guess? I'm also assuming we're all immortal just fyi) can afford to port Xenoblade X?

For the record, Monolith Soft isn't listed as the developer for the Baten Kaitos collection. The EU website says the developer is Logicalbeat Co Ltd.

Monolith Soft retweeted the announcement though, and Yasuyuki Honne tweeted about it as well. I'm wondering if a few Monolith devs might have served as supervisors on the project, but it's also possible they had no involvement at all.
I would suspect there'd at least be a supervisory involvement, given that Nintendo still has at least partial stake in these works and Bamco surely didn't just come up with doing this all on their own.

Hope Honne and at least some folks from Monolith are involved, otherwise we're losing our one chance to have Xenosaga being remade.

Hope Honne and at least some folks from Monolith are involved, otherwise we're losing our one chance to have Xenosaga being remade.
remade? nah, there's no chance of those being remade. bamco is very unlikely to spend massive amounts of money to remake those huge games and Nintendo isn't burning resources on something like that when they don't own it and could instead just get another Xenoblade made.

All I'll say for now is that it's time for a new IP.

They were rumored to be making an action-RPG with a medieval setting a few years ago. I'd like to see that. Let Xenoblade rest for a bit.

They were rumored to be making an action-RPG with a medieval setting a few years ago. I'd like to see that. Let Xenoblade rest for a bit.
My thoughts exactly.

A new ip with a different design look and setting with a different battle system. Something less busy, please.

Honne I'm looking at you!

remade? nah, there's no chance of those being remade. bamco is very unlikely to spend massive amounts of money to remake those huge games and Nintendo isn't burning resources on something like that when they don't own it and could instead just get another Xenoblade made.
Hey, we got something to that effect...

64478_front.jpg

Now could they better justify a remake if they made it 2D? The dev was Tom Create (what does Tom create?), and almost strictly works on I think the SD Gundam G Generation games (that or Super Robot Wars, I keep forgetting which). Funny thing is, I discovered some bit ago that Monolith actually snuck a one last non-Nintendo gig at the 11th hour of the acquisition; a couple folks worked on Super Robot Wars OG Original Generations (Original Original?) on PS2:

That's interesting.

They truly need a new IP. Seeing them work on TOTK with this world created and a simple combat system is what we want from a new IP

Hey, we got something to that effect...

64478_front.jpg

Now could they better justify a remake if they made it 2D? The dev was Tom Create (what does Tom create?), and almost strictly works on I think the SD Gundam G Generation games (that or Super Robot Wars, I keep forgetting which). Funny thing is, I discovered some bit ago that Monolith actually snuck a one last non-Nintendo gig at the 11th hour of the acquisition; a couple folks worked on Super Robot Wars OG Original Generations (Original Original?) on PS2:

That's interesting.
makes sense given they have done games in that series before. PxZ even takes some cues from it (I think the director of PxZ worked on SRW)

I doubt Xenoblade is going anywhere. The question is if the Tokyo office has something else in the works besides Xenoblade or Zelda. The TotK credits will likely give us a clearer indication.

On top of the staff I mentioned earlier, Koh Kojima is strangely not invovled with the Xenoblade 3 DLC, Yasuyuki Honne moved back to the Tokyo office back in 2018, Hiroshi Ando was promoted to Senior Game Design Director, and Andrzej Zamoyski was listed working on an “Action Game” for Switch. Ando and Zamoyski could just be working on TotK, though. It still isn’t clear if Production Group 1 and 2 are two separate entities or more similar to EPD where staff can move back and forth.

There are a lot of question marks right now.

I doubt Xenoblade is going anywhere. The question is if the Tokyo office has something else in the works besides Xenoblade or Zelda. The TotK credits will likely give us a clearer indication.

On top of the staff I mentioned earlier, Koh Kojima is strangely not invovled with the Xenoblade 3 DLC, Yasuyuki Honne moved back to the Tokyo office back in 2018, Hiroshi Ando was promoted to Senior Game Design Director, and Andrzej Zamoyski was listed working on an “Action Game” for Switch. Ando and Zamoyski could just be working on TotK, though. It still isn’t clear if Production Group 1 and 2 are two separate entities or more similar to EPD where staff can move back and forth.

There are a lot of question marks right now.
Zelda isn't really an action game.

Quoted by: N75

Back
Top Bottom