• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film Miyazaki's The Boy and the Heron - Discussion & Hype Thread

Will you be seeing The Boy and the Heron?

• Total voters

rêverie

Bob-omb
Pronouns
he/him
Shocked to see this hasn't been posted on Fami yet, it seems! I'm very much looking forward to seeing this in theaters, so I wanted to create this thread to hype it up and eventually talk about it when it releases with anyone else who's a Miyazaki/Ghibli fan.

Watch the two released trailers below:

WW release dates:

Has already released in a few lucky countries. If you've seen it, let us know your thoughts!

here's hoping they do! what country do you live in, if you don't mind me asking?
I'm in the US but out in a ruralish area, so we usually only get the biggest, widest releases. SOMEtimes my theater tosses us some smaller films (and I think they showed the Demon Slayer movie recently), so my fingers are crossed.

I'm in the US but out in a ruralish area, so we usually only get the biggest, widest releases. SOMEtimes my theater tosses us some smaller films (and I think they showed the Demon Slayer movie recently), so my fingers are crossed.
ahhh, i see. keep us posted on when/if your theater responds! hopefully they know that miyazaki's "last" film is a big deal.

since they didn't market it at all in Japan, I'm trying not to view any materials for it before watching.

That said, I'm looking forward to it!!

since they didn't market it at all in Japan, I'm trying not to view any materials for it before watching.

That said, I'm looking forward to it!!
wow, that's impressive. i actually just read up on that strategy and it seems it's payed off - over $56 million gross in japan alone.

The trailer for the dub was mesmerizing. My brother and I have bonded over Ghibli movies since they started localizing them in the 2000s and we're hoping to see this in the theater together.
So is this going to be his last last movie or just his second or third last movies? In any case, looking forward to this.
Up in the air at this point, but considering the gap between this and The Wind Rises was a decade and he's in his 80s, well...

Already saw it, so if I can give an advice for those of you who have kids : don't go see it with them. Teens can enjoy it, but kids won't likely be very much entertained so you won't have a good time.

The trailer for the dub was mesmerizing. My brother and I have bonded over Ghibli movies since they started localizing them in the 2000s and we're hoping to see this in the theater together.

Up in the air at this point, but considering the gap between this and The Wind Rises was a decade and he's in his 80s, well...
that is, unless goro makes another “embarrassment” to the studio and hayao rises from his grave to course correct with a new film

just pre-purchased my tickets to see this next sunday, so excited! a perfect post-thanksgiving movie theater draw.

saw it a few hours ago and must say, i was a little confused right out of the theater lol. after discussing it with my bf on the train home and thinking a little while longer, it started to (i think) make more sense and i would say i liked it!

i think the original japanese title of “How Do You Live?” is honestly way more fitting and would have made more sense of the plot going into the movie. it really seems like a meditation on life and its meaning, coping, and moving on and “The Boy and the Heron” simply gives leeway to well… none of that!

i would give it a 72/100 on first watch, but i do have a feeling upon second watch (which i plan to do before it leaves theatres) that’ll def go up.

Last edited:
With the greatest of respect to Goro Miyazaki: he's only in the position of directing Ghibli films because one of the producers at Studio Ghibli bought into the romanticised idea of "Sons following in their fathers footsteps".

By all accounts he was a very good designer and director of the Ghibli museum, but he had no business getting selected to head up feature films from the studio over animators who had actually put in the time there.

It's not even nepotism: Hayao himself was against the decision for exactly the same reason. But Toshio Suzuke thought it would be poetic, so here we are.

Poppy Hill is pretty decent, but it's still the product of someone getting to do their second animation feature (after their first was a dud) because of their name.

With the greatest of respect to Goro Miyazaki: he's only in the position of directing Ghibli films because one of the producers at Studio Ghibli bought into the romanticised idea of "Sons following in their fathers footsteps".

By all accounts he was a very good designer and director of the Ghibli museum, but he had no business getting selected to head up feature films from the studio over animators who had actually put in the time there.

It's not even nepotism: Hayao himself was against the decision for exactly the same reason. But Toshio Suzuke thought it would be poetic, so here we are.

Poppy Hill is pretty decent, but it's still the product of someone getting to do their second animation feature (after their first was a dud) because of their name.
100% this.

didn’t know all of the background to this, but of course hayao is based.

in other news, i’ve preordered tickets to see this again next week, this time subbed. looking forward to it! i have a feeling i will enjoy it more a second time.

just got back from my second viewing. as is said prior, i saw it dubbed the first time and i honestly didn't love it - i would've given it a 7.2/10. this time around though, i saw it subbed and i would give it a solid 8/10!

i wanted to give it a second chance bc 1. the plot really confused me at first lol and 2. i feel like a part of the confusion may have been in the english translation. i ended up being right in some ways, there were certainly lines that were translated differently and made more sense in the japanese sub. small things here in there really added up to a story that made more sense overall. big things too though, like how the japanese title is "How Do You Live?" which is monumentally more fitting and explanatory of the purpose of the movie than the generic, disney-esque "The Boy and the Heron." i also liked the japanese VA cast more as well. the english cast is honestly quite good (robert pattinson as the heron is really impressive!) but at times they felt a bit overbearing and distracting. like they were all trying to one-up each other.

apart from the english dub, i still don't love how slow the first quarter of the movie is and how much they seem to cram into the back quarter/two quarters of it. i feel like the pacing seems a bit off because of that.

in the end, there are still aspects of the story that i don't completely understand, but on second viewing i'm honestly fine with that. miyazaki doesn't always spell things out in his movies and i appreciate that, especially these days with every movie hand-holding the hell out of you. the animation, soundtrack and overall meaning of reincarnation, destiny, things coming full circle, and ultimately choosing your own path are all exceptionally beautiful. none of this is a surprise though exactly, as miyazaki is king of creating beautiful movies with introspection. honestly, i could watch it a third time right now!

despite the fact that i wouldn't agree, i can understand why people would think this.

what do you think was his best before this, out of curiosity?

Hard to say. There is so many different kind of films. Laputa, Mononoke, Nausicaä, Totoro, Spirited away. But I think this is up there.

Just got my tickets for tomorrow. It's not coming to my local theater but my dad and I are driving to a nearby city where it is showing and are making a day of it. It'll be his first ever anime movie. 🙌

yay! let us know how you like it!
I thought it was fantastic and gorgeous and I think I understood the story. At least I have my interpretation of what it meant, anyway.

Also while the credits were rolling there were several people scattered about who all almost simultaneously shouted "that was Robert Pattinson???" and that alone was worth going to see it in a theater 😅

I thought it was fantastic and gorgeous and I think I understood the story. At least I have my interpretation of what it meant, anyway.

Also while the credits were rolling there were several people scattered about who all almost simultaneously shouted "that was Robert Pattinson???" and that alone was worth going to see it in a theater 😅
despite the fact that i preferred the sub, robert pattinson was truly impressive in that role! would never guess he could possibly be such an amazing voice actor.

despite the fact that i preferred the sub, robert pattinson was truly impressive in that role! would never guess he could possibly be such an amazing voice actor.
Yeah you could tell he was having a blast with it. I also cracked up at Christian Bale losing his shit thinking his son had turned into a parakeet 🤣

Oh by the way the fuckin parakeets

So I saw the movie earlier today with my friends, and my immediate reaction coming out of it was that I liked the movie overall, but also thought it was kind of a mess.

It was hard to pin down what exactly the intended message of the movie was. The clearest message seems to be the importance of letting go. Mahito needs to let go of his anger from his mother's death. The Master of the Tower needs to let go of his legacy by not taking an heir to keep his world going. Himi accepts going back to her time, the tradeoff of being a mother to Mahito is worth facing her eventual death.

And that's a fine message and all, but there was... a lot in this movie that seemed very extraneous to that point, or even kind of unnecessary and somewhat confusing. I get it's the nature of Miyazaki's world building that not everything should be explained, sometimes things are the way they are even if they seem strange to us. But then you have things like the little cute spirits that Kiriko was looking after. They ascend in the sky to become people... so these are like human souls, and this world is playing into the cycle of life and death. Except... that's not apparently right at all. The world is a construct of the GrandUncle, and not really a pre/afterlife, so... what's the deal with them baby spirits then? Was Kiriko just wrong about them becoming people? And if she's not, that raises A LOT of questions about what the world ending at the finale implies. You might be noticing I'm not using their proper names, and that's because after checking some reviews and the Wikipedia article for their names, I don't see them mentioned at all. They're just that completely irrelevant to the overall story.

The whole basis for the GrandUncle's plot feels really odd. Basically, a meteor fell from the sky, he built a tower around it, and it's actually a magical space rock that makes him god of his own pocket universe. And that's all the elaboration we get on the nature of his powers. But there are also rules to the world that he abides by, such as building the block tower to maintain the world, and that the delivery room Natsuko was in is a sacred place people aren't allowed to go into, but only the parakeets really seem to care about that. And speaking of, some character behavior just feels odd. Why did Natsuko become so hostile to Mahito in the delivery room? Was she speaking more plainly her insecurities of being thrust into the role of his new mother, lashing out in grief for her dead sister, or falling to some otherwise unspecified corruption in the world? Why does Himi have fire powers when none of the other time displaced people in that world have something similar? The movie establishes Himi is Natsuko's sister, but I don't think that quite clearly sets up that she is also Mahito's mother, until they say it to one another in their goodbyes like they knew the whole time. What exactly is the Heron? All the other birds seem to be just altered birds brought in from the real world, but the Heron exists apart from it, and almost acts like he's seen this kind of thing after the other world collapses.

Maybe I'll appreciate it more on a rewatch. And again, I did enjoy it, the animation and score are beautiful, it's just not going to be my favorite Ghibli movie, and I feel it could have used some more focus and polish as a story.

But then you have things like the little cute spirits that Kiriko was looking after. They ascend in the sky to become people... so these are like human souls, and this world is playing into the cycle of life and death. Except... that's not apparently right at all. The world is a construct of the GrandUncle, and not really a pre/afterlife, so... what's the deal with them baby spirits then? Was Kiriko just wrong about them becoming people? And if she's not, that raises A LOT of questions about what the world ending at the finale implies. You might be noticing I'm not using their proper names, and that's because after checking some reviews and the Wikipedia article for their names, I don't see them mentioned at all. They're just that completely irrelevant to the overall story.
You mean the warawara? Yeah I was wondering about where they'll go after everything collapses, but.. then I got to thinking, and I'm pretty sure when Mahito was being told about the tower they said it "connects all sorts of worlds," so I think the Sea World (which is what the Ghibli Wiki says that place is called, awkward as the name is) is a place that existed already, and the meteor is simply connecting Earth to it. I don't think that whole world collapsed, I think the connection between the two worlds did, along with the tower and whatever (slightly) harmonious state the GrandUncle was able to keep it all in. So maybe the world is still out there, maybe souls still nourish themselves on the fish of the sea and eventually ascend to birth, but the world now just looks different without GrandUncle's intervention.

Since one of the first things we see in that world is the ships with the phantoms and such I figured the world was sort of a Land of the Dead anyway, which I wouldn't expect to be created or destroyed by a meteor altering reality. I think the meteor opened up a path to that world and GrandUncle stepped in and found the meteor granted him the ability to alter it. Plus weren't the pelicans framed as something of an invasive species who weren't supposed to be there? I think Willem DaFowl said something about the flock stumbling upon the place and no matter how high or far they flew they could never go anywhere but that island. So having that link opened between the worlds was probably actually harming the other world, which might now actually better harbor those pre- and post-life souls of the warawara and the phantoms. Hell, maybe the phantoms are the dead who sail the seas until they break down into the warawara, who feed on the fish and rise to be born again? Like they may have shown us literally the entire actual reincarnation cycle of this world but just been too chill about it for it to make a lot of sense at first glance.

The movie establishes Himi is Natsuko's sister, but I don't think that quite clearly sets up that she is also Mahito's mother, until they say it to one another in their goodbyes like they knew the whole time.
I think we were supposed to make the connection due to the flashback where the grannies are telling Mahito about a girl who disappeared and came back a year later having not aged, and I'm pretty sure they said "and that was your mother." And when we finally see Himi up close she's wearing the same dress that the silhouette of that girl was wearing in the flashback. So I think we were supposed to suspect it and then have the confirmation spelled out later. Why Mahito doesn't seem to react much is kinda weird though. And as far as how she gets fire powers I'm not sure but Kiriko seems to have some magic power after living there a while, too.

Also I just realized when I shared my immediate post-viewing thoughts I did it in General Discussion and not here so 😅

So when he beaned himself with the rock, he was coming home from school pretty roughed up, and after the whole situation with his dad and his aunt and the move and everyone just sorta expecting him to take it all in stride and accept it, I felt like he was trying to make himself look like he got beat worse than he did so his dad would pay attention and take pity. And it sorta works to a degree but his dad instead focuses more on wanting retribution than whether or not his kid is okay. And after all that he still just leaves his son in the care of someone else and leaves. Goes to show the state the kid is in plus the obliviousness of his dad.

Then as we know the scar eventually comes up later where it's said to be a symbol of his "malice." This is during a pivotal conversation where he decides not to be the caretaker of a potentially perfect world and to instead return to the real world and be with the people he knows. The scar is a symbol that persists through the movie, and it's showing his humanity: his pain, his anger, his struggle to get others to see him, and he points it out when deciding to face his own reality.

This also forces (or inspires, or something) the younger version of his mother to return to her own time so she can grow up and live her life, even knowing she'll eventually die, because she must face real life just as her son is deciding to.

I think the short of it is that it shows his growth from attention-seeking and walled-off, to taking responsibility for his own life and his own emotions. And then the final scene shows he seems to be much more comfortable with his new family (as weird as it is that his new mom is his aunt (which may not have been so weird back then, I dunno))

Anyway all of this is meant to be taken with a healthy dose of maybe 😅

The Boy and the Heron was just nominated for Golden Globes for Best Animated Film AND Best Score. ❤️

Yeah you could tell he was having a blast with it. I also cracked up at Christian Bale losing his shit thinking his son had turned into a parakeet 🤣

Oh by the way the fuckin parakeets
the parakeets were so hilarious while also added to my confusion of what the hell is happening lol.
So I saw the movie earlier today with my friends, and my immediate reaction coming out of it was that I liked the movie overall, but also thought it was kind of a mess.

It was hard to pin down what exactly the intended message of the movie was. The clearest message seems to be the importance of letting go. Mahito needs to let go of his anger from his mother's death. The Master of the Tower needs to let go of his legacy by not taking an heir to keep his world going. Himi accepts going back to her time, the tradeoff of being a mother to Mahito is worth facing her eventual death.

And that's a fine message and all, but there was... a lot in this movie that seemed very extraneous to that point, or even kind of unnecessary and somewhat confusing. I get it's the nature of Miyazaki's world building that not everything should be explained, sometimes things are the way they are even if they seem strange to us. But then you have things like the little cute spirits that Kiriko was looking after. They ascend in the sky to become people... so these are like human souls, and this world is playing into the cycle of life and death. Except... that's not apparently right at all. The world is a construct of the GrandUncle, and not really a pre/afterlife, so... what's the deal with them baby spirits then? Was Kiriko just wrong about them becoming people? And if she's not, that raises A LOT of questions about what the world ending at the finale implies. You might be noticing I'm not using their proper names, and that's because after checking some reviews and the Wikipedia article for their names, I don't see them mentioned at all. They're just that completely irrelevant to the overall story.

The whole basis for the GrandUncle's plot feels really odd. Basically, a meteor fell from the sky, he built a tower around it, and it's actually a magical space rock that makes him god of his own pocket universe. And that's all the elaboration we get on the nature of his powers. But there are also rules to the world that he abides by, such as building the block tower to maintain the world, and that the delivery room Natsuko was in is a sacred place people aren't allowed to go into, but only the parakeets really seem to care about that. And speaking of, some character behavior just feels odd. Why did Natsuko become so hostile to Mahito in the delivery room? Was she speaking more plainly her insecurities of being thrust into the role of his new mother, lashing out in grief for her dead sister, or falling to some otherwise unspecified corruption in the world? Why does Himi have fire powers when none of the other time displaced people in that world have something similar? The movie establishes Himi is Natsuko's sister, but I don't think that quite clearly sets up that she is also Mahito's mother, until they say it to one another in their goodbyes like they knew the whole time. What exactly is the Heron? All the other birds seem to be just altered birds brought in from the real world, but the Heron exists apart from it, and almost acts like he's seen this kind of thing after the other world collapses.

Maybe I'll appreciate it more on a rewatch. And again, I did enjoy it, the animation and score are beautiful, it's just not going to be my favorite Ghibli movie, and I feel it could have used some more focus and polish as a story.
i actually had a similar POV upon first viewing and still feel a somewhat similar way after seeing it a second time.

upon first view, i felt like i was focusing on the little things that were overall unimportant and just miyazaki-isms. seeing it a second time, i definitely understood the meaning of things coming full circle and deciding your own destiny. i think also seeing it subbed helped that as well as the sub was a bit more enlightening at times than the dub was. did you see it subbed or dubbed?

the warawara was actually, upon second viewing, still one of the parts i didn't completely understand. i can get how it ties into the story somewhat (circle of life type thing with the pelicans having to eat them, kiriko putting more value on himi saving most of them while not being able to save all, etc.) but it seems a bit rushed and like the movie was trying to juggle too many ideas. of course, they're incredibly cute and i think they're also just meant to be a thing that is happening within this sea world that kiriko was always assisting with. they're just there, happening, and mahito just happens across them. i think it is also possible kiriko was just assuming that's what they become, since in the sea world she doesn't actually know what is happening in the "real" world and vice versa.

anyhow, the warawara plot seems fairly light and not that big of a deal for me in understanding the whole story as much as the grand uncle and alien stone plot do, as you mentioned. there are times where it seems like the stone, the grand uncle, and himi/mahito all want different things and i think in the english dub it was less clear that the stone is kind of its own sentient being that has its own desires. i think the stone wanted natsuko and her baby and that's why in the birthing room she was kind of taken over by the stone when she tells mahito she hates him, bc the stone wanted him out of there and didn't want natsuko to leave without the baby. also remember himi speaking directly to the stone in that scene? asking the stone to let natsuko go? that lends more credence to the stone being this somewhat dark force that's never fully explained. that's also why the grand uncle wasn't too chuffed about himi/mahito going into the birthing room (he is a separate person with different desires than what the stone wants) while the king parakeet was.

anyhow, i think the story is quite convoluted and at times very confusing and possibly juggling too many ideas, but i also am coming to like it for all the thinking and pondering it makes you do about what it all means. at first, it was frustrating because i was going into the movie wanting/expecting something more magical and easy to follow like howl's, where instead we got something fairly ruminating, sometimes dark, and ultimately fairly confusing. i think that if you take a step back though, that is kind of the point? so much happens in it and so much is unexplained and kind of daunting at times, just like choosing how you want to live can be. which, not to continue beating a dead horse but, changing the title from "How Do You Live?" was truly such a disservice because of that.

still, i would agree that it'll never become my favorite ghibli movie, but i do enjoy it and it certainly is not my least favorite! i think it also deserves all the awards it gets for being such a massive, beautiful, and introspective animated movie.

Update: I didn't see the movie yesterday like I planned because the only cool, old theatre left in my area is playing it in a few weeks. I'm going to wait until then and overnight at a cool new hotel next to the theatre to boot!

Watched the movie on Dec 2nd for the German premiere. Loved it visually as always. Probably one of the most stunning Ghibli productions in that sense.

I felt the soundtrack was a bit different though I couldn't place my finger on just what made me feel that. Still enjoyed that part as well.

As for the story... it felt a bit disconnected in a sense. It was surely the most complex storyline and probably the first Ghibli movie that made me feel that quite a lot was lost on me. Not my favourite Ghibli / Miyazaki movie in that regard but I still enjoyed it. It definitely elicited a lot of emotions while watching (so very Ghibli in that way) but one of these sentiments definitely was a sense of mild confusion. I think I would have a hard time paraphrasing the story; explaining the overall theme in a brief matter. I definitely do remember most of the scenes individually, if that makes sense. So yes, as others have stated it felt a bit messy but still engaging.

There was a family with two young-ish kids in the row before me and I actually heard one of the kids complain to his parents afterwards. I felt for him, as it must have been a challenging movie to watch reading subtitles and trying to follow the story and visual spectacle.

Watched the movie on Dec 2nd for the German premiere. Loved it visually as always. Probably one of the most stunning Ghibli productions in that sense.

I felt the soundtrack was a bit different though I couldn't place my finger on just what made me feel that. Still enjoyed that part as well.

As for the story... it felt a bit disconnected in a sense. It was surely the most complex storyline and probably the first Ghibli movie that made me feel that quite a lot was lost on me. Not my favourite Ghibli / Miyazaki movie in that regard but I still enjoyed it. It definitely elicited a lot of emotions while watching (so very Ghibli in that way) but one of these sentiments definitely was a sense of mild confusion. I think I would have a hard time paraphrasing the story; explaining the overall theme in a brief matter. I definitely do remember most of the scenes individually, if that makes sense. So yes, as others have stated it felt a bit messy but still engaging.

There was a family with two young-ish kids in the row before me and I actually heard one of the kids complain to his parents afterwards. I felt for him, as it must have been a challenging movie to watch reading subtitles and trying to follow the story and visual spectacle.
well, at least you can find similarity with others in this thread. you certainly aren’t alone in feeling it was confusing and almost too eccentric for its own good at times. when i first saw it, i felt like i was the odd one out for feeling that way as all i could reflect on were the massive amounts of critical acclaim for it, none of which mentioned it’s confusing aspects. still, like you, i did enjoy it!

the music did also feel a bit different to me, but in a good way. it almost felt a little… hans zimmer-esque? felt like joe hisaishi wanted to go a little more mature and dark than in past movies, which i think is fitting.

Having just seen it, the overriding sentiment is how goddamn cool it feels to be watching a new Miyazaki movie in theatres in 2023. Still need my thoughts to settle a bit, but I really liked it. The opening scene in particular looked incredible.

I do really wish they kept the title as How Do You Live. Way more thematically resonant than what they went with.

I quite enjoyed this one. I think I'll need to rewatch it before deciding where it stands in the Miyazaki hierarchy, but it definitely felt like one of his most unhinged films. The third act was wild.

well, at least you can find similarity with others in this thread. you certainly aren’t alone in feeling it was confusing and almost too eccentric for its own good at times. when i first saw it, i felt like i was the odd one out for feeling that way as all i could reflect on were the massive amounts of critical acclaim for it, none of which mentioned it’s confusing aspects. still, like you, i did enjoy it!

the music did also feel a bit different to me, but in a good way. it almost felt a little… hans zimmer-esque? felt like joe hisaishi wanted to go a little more mature and dark than in past movies, which i think is fitting.

Yes I would say this describes how i felt about the music quite well. definitely have to rewatch soon to gather my thoughts on this, the story and generally all aspects.

I just got out of this. I didn’t really understand what it was trying to do emotionally.

It kinda worked. It’s absolutely beautiful. But it didn’t quite connect with me.

seems to be the consensus so far. did you see it subbed or dubbed?
subbed.

in the best version of these films, the fantasy world has some kind of emotional mirror to the real world (in my eyes Time Bandits is the gold standard for this). Whereas here they just felt like two very different films smashed together.

subbed.

in the best version of these films, the fantasy world has some kind of emotional mirror to the real world (in my eyes Time Bandits is the gold standard for this). Whereas here they just felt like two very different films smashed together.
imo when you read the movie as a metaphor for Miyazaki’s wrangling with his own life’s work, the things he gave up to achieve it, and the ultimate uselessness of trying to continue it on once he is gone, it all snaps into place.

the world beyond the tower is explicitly not a mirror, it is the mind of another man. Mahito’s grand uncle is consumed and obsessed by the act of creation, unable to control his impulses to the point that he abandons his family and lives life sequestered in a tower, his entire existence dedicated to keeping this place he spun into existence from collapsing back into void. the movie feels like Miyazaki’s lament of what could have been in his life, of the futility of spending his life trying to keep his kingdom alive for just one more day, and of the importance of allowing the next generation to forge their own paths rather than conscripting them into maintaining a thing that previous generations created for their own amusement. I found it shattering on a molecular level.

it’s one of the great artists of our time wondering if his life has been misspent.

Last edited:
imo when you read the movie as a metaphor for Miyazaki’s wrangling with his own life’s work, the things he gave up to achieve it, and the ultimate uselessness of trying to continue it on once he is gone, it all snaps into place.

the world beyond the tower is explicitly not a mirror, it is the mind of another man. Mahito’s grand uncle is consumed and obsessed by the act of creation, unable to control his impulses to the point that he abandons his family and lives life sequestered in a tower, his entire existence dedicated to keeping this place he spun into existence from collapsing back into void. the movie feels like Miyazaki’s lament of what could have been in his life, of the futility of spending his life trying to keep his kingdom alive for just one more day, and of the importance of allowing the next generation to forge their own paths rather than conscripting them into maintaining a thing that previous generations created for their own amusement. I found it shattering on a molecular level.

it’s one of the great artists of our time wondering if his life has been misspent.
Holy shit I didn't realize

Makes the original title "How Do You Live?"ake a lot more sense, too.

wait so is Mahito actually Goro, then?
Is he telling Goro to knock it off and go do his own shit?

Holy shit I didn't realize

Makes the original title "How Do You Live?"ake a lot more sense, too.

wait so is Mahito actually Goro, then?
Is he telling Goro to knock it off and go do his own shit?
Apparently the Heron is modeled on Toshio Suzuki, his long-time producer. lol

Back
Top Bottom