• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Mistwalker's Fantasian potentially coming to more platforms? (SteamDB listing)

Finally, I hope a switch release is not too far off!

August 2021 was when the second half dropped, so the exclusivity window for Apple Arcade is long past.

If they’re doing Steam it’s probably hitting other platforms as well. And TGS is right around the corner so we’ll know more soon most likely.

I've been playing it on my laptop and it's pretty good, really nice soundtrack. The diorama visuals are cool too. If it gets ports I just hope it doesn't vanish from Arcade before I can finish it, I'd rather not double dip and have to replay it to get to where I was.

I’d kill for a reworked Terra Battle to also come to Switch. The gacha sucked but the combat mechanics were a lot of fun.

iu

I'm so hyped to play this if it truly gains platform freedom- the concept, art, and production talent really intrigue me.

I'd love to have it on Switch and then bitch and moan about somehow needing to find the time to play it.

Looking forward to it. I tried playing it when I had a free trial of Apple Arcade, but playing an RPG on my tiny phone screen with pure touch controls just isn’t much fun to me. Now if we could just get ports of Lost Odyssey and The Last Story…

Fantastic, also it seems that apple arcade exclsuive are basiclally done?

Jet Dragoon seems to be the only noticble exclusive and the other ones (like Amazing Bomberman) where beginning of 2022

Hoping all this game find their way on PC and Switch

It should be on Switch, it’s a touch screen game after all

I only played a couple hours, I don’t think any of you are really missing out, especially if you already played FF7-8-9 (it’s especially similar to 7 in many ways, the main characters and opening chapter for instance). However, it’s still a regular, fully fledged RPG of that style on mobile, there’s none of the bullshit typically associated with the platform. It also takes advantage of stuff like touch controls. If you’re really starved for that type of game from the father of FF himself, that could be worth it

It’s also apparently quite long, cross save and cross progression would be nice

Fantastic, also it seems that apple arcade exclsuive are basiclally done?
Killer app Hello Kitty Island Adventure is sadly still Arcade exclusive, but that just came out so it may escape. That and finishing Fantasian are all that are keeping my sub active past the freebie months.

I only played a couple hours, I don’t think any of you are really missing out, especially if you already played FF7-8-9
It definitely hasn't struck me as essential yet, but I'd actually say it probably has more appeal for people who pine for PS1 era Final Fantasy (aside from being more truly turn-based like FFX rather than ATB) - a big part of what I've enjoyed about it is how nostalgic it feels. I wonder if people without those rose-coloured glasses might find its charms don't resonate as much.

Ya'all please play Octopath 2

My partner is hogging it! Probably gonna be one of my autumn games.

I should specify as well that the toybox/diorama aesthetic, OST and art direction in Fantasian are also big contributors to why it has PS1 FF vibes for me. I think Octopath is more what I'm after in terms of gameplay from an RPG, but - to varying degrees of success - Fantasian aims to pinpoint a slightly different era. For me it's all 'golden age', but one is early and the other is late.

Do we know who can edit steamdb? The apple logo being "edited out" hastily with a blue marker looks...off.
SteamDB directly pulls information from Steam's network / API, etc. (https://steamdb.info/faq/)
What is displayed on there has to be implemented with Steam proper in some fashion, meaning it's a developer / publisher account integrating the information into Steam's own database, which is then being reflected by SteamDB. The current entry also very much is still a WIP; it's not only just a playtest, but has been created / first edited in the second half of July only. And is usually nothing to be seen by the public. I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that this is far from being anything final / is only a placeholder with minimum effort put in.

Still, SteamDB entries are no 100% confirmation either, even if they are a strong indicator of something happening.

Ya'all please play Octopath 2
Genuine question: the narrative in Octopath 1 kinda fell flat for me, does 2 improve on that? I loved everything else about 1.

Also Octopath 2 doesn't have Sakaguchi or Uematsu and I miss those dudes.

Also also I really love that for Fantasian they built real dioramas and designed the game around them.

I just really wanna play Fantasian.

Genuine question: the narrative in Octopath 1 kinda fell flat for me, does 2 improve on that? I loved everything else about 1.

Also Octopath 2 doesn't have Sakaguchi or Uematsu and I miss those dudes.

Also also I really love that for Fantasian they built real dioramas and designed the game around them.

I just really wanna play Fantasian.
Yup!

Also, yes, but it has their spirit!

This I love as well. The HD2D look is pretty snazzy tho

same and now we will be able to!
If you want my full thoughts on OT2, they’re here: https://famiboards.com/threads/lttp-octopath-traveler-2-huh.6984/

Yup!

Also, yes, but it has their spirit!

This I love as well. The HD2D look is pretty snazzy tho

same and now we will be able to!
If you want my full thoughts on OT2, they’re here: https://famiboards.com/threads/lttp-octopath-traveler-2-huh.6984/
Holy shit, wow. Sounds like Octopath 2 is something of an Empire Strikes Back or a Sonic 2 the movie (or a Sonic 2 the game, even). Okay good deal, I'm sold. I might pick a copy up here in a bit when I get through more of my backlog.

Also I appreciate you responding in the same format I used. 🤣

Nice, I had a lot of fun with this back on Apple Arcade. Hopefully it does indeed make it to Switch with all of its excellent touch screen support in tact.

The only thing that I outright didn't like was that they often seemed to not take close up photography of their dioramas. So if the view came in closer for a party chat in town or something, the background would be zoomed and cropped and kinda blurry. Which is definitely a disservice to those amazing dioramas! It'd be cool if there was some way to work that out in a re-release.

It should be on Switch, it’s a touch screen game after all

I only played a couple hours, I don’t think any of you are really missing out, especially if you already played FF7-8-9 (it’s especially similar to 7 in many ways, the main characters and opening chapter for instance). However, it’s still a regular, fully fledged RPG of that style on mobile, there’s none of the bullshit typically associated with the platform. It also takes advantage of stuff like touch controls. If you’re really starved for that type of game from the father of FF himself, that could be worth it

It’s also apparently quite long, cross save and cross progression would be nice
From what I've seen and heard it takes a long while to open up. Like the skill trees don't unlock until closer to the halfway point, so I think the gameplay might evolve later on once you can start customizing your characters more. I'm decently excited to try it even if it's supposed to be somewhat mid. I liked Lost Odyssey and liked parts of Blue Dragon.

Holy shit, wow. Sounds like Octopath 2 is something of an Empire Strikes Back or a Sonic 2 the movie (or a Sonic 2 the game, even). Okay good deal, I'm sold. I might pick a copy up here in a bit when I get through more of my backlog.

Also I appreciate you responding in the same format I used. 🤣
It really is. I cannot stress enough how much antipathy I had towards Octopath after the first game, and how little interest I ever had in checking out the sequel. But god damn, they nailed it, 25 hours in and this is en route to becoming one of my favorite turn based RPGs ever. I can't believe how great it is, it makes the first game seem like the proof of concept it probably was with how big of a leap it ends up being.

And I am always up for formatting tricks in text conversations to convey points effectiveley

That'd be weird, I don't think Fantasian is an indie game.

Do we know who can edit steamdb? The apple logo being "edited out" hastily with a blue marker looks...off.
It’s as much an indie game as Ori and the Blind Forest is, and that was in an indie world.

Ladies an gentleman, I have played Fantasian.

The 2nd half of the game is fantastic. The 1st half is terrible. It was released in "seasons" due to being an Apple Play game, despite being developed as a conventional JRPG. That's an obviously terrible idea. The result is that the 1st half of the game feels like it was made by an AI trained on popular PS1 JRPGs. The 2nd half of the game pretty much throws out the 1st half, and tells the story the developers clearly wanted to tell. Uematsu also get's off his rear and composes some of his best original works in 20 years! But you have to play the 1st half of the game which is like a greatest hits of Sakaguchi's story telling tropes (and not in a good way!)

Aside from that, there is one thing I can say: I'm happy that this game exists, because it's one of the few non-atlus turn-based JRPG's in the past 20 years that feels like an original work with ambition. It's not FFV with the IP sanded off (Bravely Default), and it's not a retrograde pastiche of SNES games (Octopath). It's an original game that actually tries to honestly innovate on the format and do it's own thing, despite being on a budget. The dioramas, in particular, are gorgeous and a stroke of genius. Why can't RPG Factory's games try stuff like this? Because they're a factory.

Here's a few tracks from the 2nd half of the game, to listen to:

(Er, this plays when you get stuck in the Bermuda Triangle.)

(Final Boss Theme. The final boss in this game is actually difficult!)

(The opening here sounds like Uematsu)

(Why not include this?)

...Yes, I kinda like the weird melodramatic tracks.

Back
Top Bottom