• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Xbox Microsoft has released a new batch of Backwards Compatible titles, including over 76 games (and 37 now support FPS Boost)

35148bce9d561a117c9644513679cf76.jpg

106488-timesplitters-2-xbox-front-cover.jpg

👀
Hopefully
Called it

60 fps Sonic Unleashed might single-handedly get me to pick up a Series S, Unleashed Project on PC is good but it's no replacement for the OG. Sad to hear this is the last update for backwards compatibility though, there's still a load more games it'd be great to see, especially for the Original Xbox.

Any of those BC or 60fps enhanced BC ports optimized to 4K as well or most of these will run at their native resolutions?

DOA Ultimate in native 4K would be sweet, like, sweet to the point of almost getting a Series X. Same for Sonic Unleashed, 60fps is interesting since it always was console-bound and 30fps, but if it's 4K too, mama hold me.

FYI be careful if you're trying to purchase digital Xbox games right now. Lots of transactions aren't going through BUT being charged to bank accounts/credit cards regardless.

I tried to purchase Nier and Binary Doman on my Series S, the transaction failed, so I tried again, and it failed a second time. Checked my bank and BOTH transactions are showing as "pending" on my account, despite not having access to the games. Called Xbox support and was told the pending transactions should fall off my account within a few days, so that's a relief. However, I then purchased a $40 digital Xbox card from Amazon, redeemed it on Xbox.com, tried to purchase the games again, and the transaction STILL failed! It took the funds from the gift card, but fortunately refunded back to my account after a few minutes. This is super weird. And apparently it's happening to lots of folks. Be warned!

DOA Ultimate in native 4K would be sweet, like, sweet to the point of almost getting a Series X. Same for Sonic Unleashed, 60fps is interesting since it always was console-bound and 30fps, but if it's 4K too, mama hold me.
Every OG Xbox game get a resolution bump (1440p in Series S and 4K in Series X) but sadly 360 games need to being worked case by case, and Unleashed for example only runs at native resolution :/

Whenever I get around to picking up a Series S, I'll definitely get TimeSplitters 2!

I finally got my DOA3/U back
Finally

Sad that this is it though, still many games I wish I could have access to again. Happy to get as much as we did though.

Oh nice, DOAU was added!

It's bittersweet knowing this will be the final BC update. The extensive BC was the one of the main reasons I switched from Sony to Microsoft this generation. It's been great going through my X360 collection and grabbing OG Xbox games I originally missed.

I'm at least glad Microsoft has been upfront that this was the final update and any the remaining games that didn't make the list was due to licensing, legal and technical constraints.

Jesus, Gears of War 2 at 60fps is glorious. It feels like a full blown remaster. It's incredible.

No new backwards compatible titles after this... 😭
Otogi confirmed!

Alongside the important note about them also adding FPS Boost to a few games. We now officially have had them add Original Xbox games that weren't previously backwards Compatible on the 360. Though unfortunately that doesn't mean much for the future. Which includes the following
  1. Advent Rising
  2. Disney's Chicken Little
  3. Gladius
  4. Gunvalkyrie
  5. Otogi
  6. Otogi 2
  7. Secret Weapons Over Normandy
  8. Timesplitters 2 (also notably uses the PAL box-art worldwide, the US version had different artwork.)
  9. TimeSplitters: Future Perfect
Just to confirm, it doesn't look like they added 360 marketplace listings (Just the XBO store) for any of these. So it's seems unlikely they patched the original 360 emulator, in fact, a few of these games are properly tagged with a "This game can't be played on Xbox 360." disclaimer in the description.
Regardless, i did hastily snag a copy of Secret Weapons Over Normandy specifically for further testing.

Pulled out what I had on the list and I got some good news: it does accept the clone wars/Tetris disk as clone wars!

IMG_4229.jpg

I’m hurting over no amped or Phantom crash
Yeah, They actually go through the trouble of getting every SKU for the game working. They've also, in the case of games that were directly up-ported from the OG Xbox to 360, can convert your OG Xbox copy into the 360 version whenever you insert a compatible disk.
Only two games are fully confirmed do this though, Battlefield 2 Modern Combat and Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (Though in that case it's actually a very bad thing.)

Last edited:
Playing DOA1-3 for the first time ever on XSX, and they're absolutely amazing to play. Sad to see the program ending but I'm happy to enjoy a lot of new games for the backlog. Sadly, Puzzle Fighter II on Capcom Digital Collection still does not show up as PF2 :(

Also for those who have never played it, revenge of the sith’s multiplayer mode is the bomb(clone wars is too)

Alongside the important note about them also adding FPS Boost to a few games. We now officially have had them add Original Xbox games that weren't previously backwards Compatible on the 360. Though unfortunately that doesn't mean much for the future. Which includes the following
  1. Advent Rising
  2. Disney's Chicken Little
  3. Gladius
  4. Gunvalkyrie
  5. Otogi
  6. Otogi 2
  7. Secret Weapons Over Normandy
  8. Timesplitters 2 (also notably uses the PAL box-art worldwide, the US version had different artwork.)
  9. TimeSplitters: Future Perfect
Just to confirm, it doesn't look like they added 360 marketplace listings (Just the XBO store) for any of these. So it's seems unlikely they patched the original 360 emulator, in fact, a few of these games are properly tagged with a "This game can't be played on Xbox 360." disclaimer in the description.
Regardless, i did hastily snag a copy of Secret Weapons Over Normandy specifically for further testing.
Not sure if it's the case with any of the other newly added/updated 360 games but Nier also wasn't added to the marketplace, it's still only the dlc that's purchasable on 360. The new digital version seems to be a separate listing for Xbox One/Series only.

Pretty sad Ridge Racer 6 doesn't seem to be available outside the US digitally, but I did pick up Timesplitters 2+ FP, Max Payne 2 and Beautiful Katamari last night. Well worth it.

Confirmed that we're never getting Lollipop Chainsaw. Obviously we always knew in our hearts, because of the music licensing, but still a shame.

On another note: now that Nier is finally supported, any reason to play the original over Replicant? I already have both.

Not sure if it's the case with any of the other newly added/updated 360 games but Nier also wasn't added to the marketplace, it's still only the dlc that's purchasable on 360. The new digital version seems to be a separate listing for Xbox One/Series only.
I'd imagine that's a different case, it has a proper 360 marketplace page. So it's possible they just forgot to update it.
Buying it through the Xbox One should add it to your 360 download list without any issues. Since it's a native 360 game, and i doubt Square would be allowed to directly block access like that.

Edit: There's also been a few reports of digitally purchasing the newly added titles being messed up, so that's most likely related.

Last edited:
I'd imagine that's a different case, it has a proper 360 marketplace page. So it's possible they just forgot to update it.
Buying it through the Xbox One should add it to your 360 download list without any issues. Since it's a native 360 game, and i doubt Square would be allowed to directly block access like that.

Edit: There's also been a few reports of digitally purchasing the newly added titles being messed up, so that's most likely related.

Yeah, I bought TimeSplitters 2 on my XSS, and got the Oops! error message. Store credit was billed but no game was available. Went to check my order history on Microsoft and saw TimeSplitters 2 there, then went back to the store on my Xbox and looked up TS2 again. This time it had the install prompt. I had to do the same process with Ridge Racer 6 on my XSS. Don't know if it helped work things out, but I made sure not to hit "buy" more than twice after seeing the oops message.

While MS has managed to achieve some great things with their 360 and original Xbox emulation, the fact that they're already throwing in the towel on supporting more games kind of speaks to the limits of their approach. They really could use to tweak things a bit so that legal issues aren't really an obstacle.

While MS has managed to achieve some great things with their 360 and original Xbox emulation, the fact that they're already throwing in the towel on supporting more games kind of speaks to the limits of their approach. They really could use to tweak things a bit so that legal issues aren't really an obstacle.
If they made a general purpose emulator rather than going with the recompilation approach there'd probably be no issues at least for running off of discs. It made sense to do it that way on the Xbone with it's weak CPU but I'd find it hard to believe the Series X/S couldn't just completely emulate the 360/OG Xbox ala how PS1 BC worked on the PS3.

If they made a general purpose emulator rather than going with the recompilation approach there'd probably be no issues at least for running off of discs. It made sense to do it that way on the Xbone with it's weak CPU but I'd find it hard to believe the Series X/S couldn't just completely emulate the 360/OG Xbox ala how PS1 BC worked on the PS3.
They don't even really have to do that, though it would provide a better user experience. All they'd really have to do is incorporate their tools for transpiling the old Xbox games into the OS. This is one of those areas of software licencing where I'm pretty sure all the legal issues just disappear of everything happens on the user's machine.

Back
Top Bottom