• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Xbox Microsoft has released a new batch of Backwards Compatible titles, including over 76 games (and 37 now support FPS Boost)

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
unknown.png

Current list.
A good chunk just list the 10th as their "release date" but some entries have the 15th, most likely meaning they're intended to be released immediately after the impending Xbox event.

Notably, Clone Wars is the only title that technically isn't currently backwards compatible on the 360. It was previously, but they disabled it for some reason.
The last database leak had a few titles that 100% weren't playable on 360 (Advent Rising, for example.) but it's unknown if any of them will be part of this batch.

There's also the weird situation with Panzer Elite Action: Fields of Glory from the last batch, it was never part of the 360 list. But it has a 360 marketplace page.
Retail copies are really difficult to find, and the digital version is region-locked to the EU. So i haven't been able to test it.

It's really neat that they're adding more original Xbox games! Picking up a Series S has always been tempting because of the backwards compatibility. Wonder if there's any more titles on the way?

Max Payne 3 has received a new digital release on 360
as in new old games for the xbox 360!?
Digitally, yes. Even though it's supposed to be for the Xbox One specifically. The fact they add games by listing them on the 360 marketplace first means you can download and play them there without issue. Though weirdly, both Max Payne 1 & 2 had their own digital releases there back in 2008. Which have been superseded by these new versions.

Speaking of Max Payne, the Saudi Arabian Xbox Marketplace suddenly released the third game digitally. With the same release date as these original Xbox games.
unknown.png

So that's one 360 title confirmed as part of this upcoming batch.

Digitally, yes. Even though it's supposed to be for the Xbox One specifically. The fact they add games by listing them on the 360 marketplace first means you can download and play them there without issue. Though weirdly, both Max Payne 1 & 2 had their own digital releases there back in 2008. Which have been superseded by these new versions.

Speaking of Max Payne, the Saudi Arabian Xbox Marketplace suddenly released the third game digitally. With the same release date as these original Xbox games.
unknown.png

OTOGI 1-2 next please

It's pretty awesome that all the OG Xbox titles Microsoft add to the One/Series backwards compatibility are available to download on the 360 too. Yeah the emulation isn't anywhere near as good as on those consoles but I'm glad I don't have to pick up another console just to play the handful of OG Xbox games I'm interested in.

It's pretty awesome that all the OG Xbox titles Microsoft add to the One/Series backwards compatibility are available to download on the 360 too. Yeah the emulation isn't anywhere near as good as on those consoles but I'm glad I don't have to pick up another console just to play the handful of OG Xbox games I'm interested in.

This post just made me realize I can technically play these games.....might go out and buy DOA Ultimate and DOA3 at some point.

unknown.png

PLEASE

I need this. Max Payne 3 is super underrated.

unknown.png

So we might be in for a 360 batch too? Can't wait to see what's there!

This is nuts to me. Are they still updating the 360 emulator per title? That's pretty legendary commitment.

I may be alone on this, but I'd LOVE for Next Level Games' Captain America Super Soldier to be relisted and XBO-enhanced, since lord knows a Switch port won't ever happen and the novelty of it being NLG's final non-Nintendo project ever is pretty nifty and I could play it on my XBO S. Good fucking luck finding even a used copy on either 360 or PS3 easily for a good price, trust me, I've checked!

... I'm sad this never got an updated Wii U port at launch which surely could've been done (Sega's license may have expired too soon for that)? Oh well. :(

I'm stupidly excited for Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate.
I have the boxed copy from 2004 right next to me, I was just as excited leading up to release back then too (even though I'd already played the Dreamcast version to death).

I wonder if they can get Burnout 3 BC though.
You'd think licensing would be an issue, but the game is actually STILL on sale digitally. You can technically buy the BC version for 360 right now.

I’ve still got some of these boxed (ah, the few advantages of being old and decrepit). This would be nice.

I may be alone on this, but I'd LOVE for Next Level Games' Captain America Super Soldier to be relisted and XBO-enhanced, since lord knows a Switch port won't ever happen and the novelty of it being NLG's final non-Nintendo project ever is pretty nifty and I could play it on my XBO S. Good fucking luck finding even a used copy on either 360 or PS3 easily for a good price, trust me, I've checked!

... I'm sad this never got an updated Wii U port at launch which surely could've been done (Sega's license may have expired too soon for that)? Oh well. :(
It’s a pretty good game, too bad it’s a little pricier now than it used to be. One of those rare licensed games that is actually fun and good to play. The shield mechanics save it from just being a retread of Batman: Arkham Asylum, and punching Nazis is always fun.

Might be hard to reissue now because of Chris Evans’s and Sebastian Stan’s likenesses and voices. They should do it though.

This is nuts to me. Are they still updating the 360 emulator per title? That's pretty legendary commitment.
Iirc the last actual 'update' to the emulator was making Panzer Dragoon Orta compatible again (via disc) back in like 2017 or something. But yeah because all the OG Xbox games get put on the 360 marketplace you're able to download them on a 360 and play them. They run just as well as they would through a disc though that also menas some don't exactly run great, Blinx felt like it ran in slow motion the one time I played it (though that could honestly just be how the game is normally for all I know and I only played the tutorial level iirc so it might get better after that), but on the other hand Ninja Gaiden, Panzer Dragoon and Conker (sans a broken opening fmv) play great.

Excuse my ignorance, but this means physical copies of those games will work, right?
Yes, unless things change (which is extremely unlikely). Physical copies will work fine once they flip the switch and let them go live, which we're assuming will be on the 15th.
They don't run off the disc though, they use the disc as proof of ownership and then download the game wrapped in an emulator.

BRING BACK WHIPLASH (2003) MICROSOFT!

I WANT TO PLAY AS A WEASEL WHO SMASHES UP A TESTING LABORATORY WITH THE ANGRY RABBIT HE IS CHAINED TO

I never got far into Max Payne when it was relevant so maybe I'll finally give it a proper whirl.

Pretty impressed with MS' backwards compat efforts.

Oh Dead Or Alive 3? I used to love that on OG Xbox. I feel like it was before the series went in too hard on creepiness too.
Dead or Alive has always been creepy. The "jiggle breast physics" nonsense has been in since the beginning. Dead or Alive Volleyball, which launched in early 2003, wasn't out of character for the series at all.

Ahhh! I always swore I'd buy an Xbox if they ever added the classic DoA games to backwards compatibility.

Instead, it took so long that I already have one! (Bought an XSX for Flight Sim and FH5).

God, this is unexpected great news, I had totally given up on ever seeing these games. Now the big question... DoA2U and its tons of content, or DoA3 and its slightly better gameplay / movelist.

I would love if they added the Overlord games (They would also be perfect for the switch btw)
I've thought this for ages. I wish Feral could get Codemasters to let them port both of the main HD Overlord games to Switch. Hell Climax (who did Overlord: Dark Legend on Wii) probably could do that just fine too.

Iirc the last actual 'update' to the emulator was making Panzer Dragoon Orta compatible again (via disc) back in like 2017 or something. But yeah because all the OG Xbox games get put on the 360 marketplace you're able to download them on a 360 and play them. They run just as well as they would through a disc though that also menas some don't exactly run great, Blinx felt like it ran in slow motion the one time I played it (though that could honestly just be how the game is normally for all I know and I only played the tutorial level iirc so it might get better after that), but on the other hand Ninja Gaiden, Panzer Dragoon and Conker (sans a broken opening fmv) play great.
Not 100% sure on if the 2017 update (Which was allegedly done to fix the original Panzer Dragoon game, since that was an unlockable.) was a thing, but yeah. It's more specifically building off the fact Microsoft did provide a very small amount of downloadable OG Xbox games when the system was new.

They also initially tested things by directly running the 360 Fission emulator on the Xbox One, but they wisely realized it would be a better idea to create a new one from scratch, with the XBO hardware in mind.
"He first thought of trying to emulate the Xbox 360’s Fission emulator, assuming it would fail. It did, and it did so 'quite predictably,' Perreault added."
I would love if they added the Overlord games (They would also be perfect for the switch btw)
Overlord is now owned by Electronic Arts currently, but considering they're one of the most active supporters of the feature (Thanks to EA Play) i can see them working something out.
It's a shame OG Live doesn't exist anymore, I would 100% play Clone Wars online again.
Clone Wars supports LAN play, actually. Which Microsoft has managed to make fully cross-compatible across all three Xbox systems.

I feel like Microsoft might eventually create an official LAN tunneling application in the vein of Xlink at some point, rather than bringing back OG Xbox Live.

It might be a pretty decent exclusive feature for Xcloud, actually. Set up the server blades so they're properly connected to each other, then add some basic software that allows you to invite other players to your game session, adding them as extra "consoles" when the System Link option is selected in-game.
I am once again asking for JSRF
Depends on if Microsoft is willing to modify the game to remove a few licensed tracks or not.
Specifically, the Latch Brothers.

Out of all the musical artists featured in the game, they're the only ones that are specifically tied to a defunct record label.
Everything else still exists in some form, Scrapegoat Wax, Bis (Though they never actually released their contribution outside of the game.), even the infamous "Birthday Cake" (Cover might be NSFW) are just a matter of renewing the license. But the Latch Brothers have been completely missing ever since 2002, in fact, their last release was a soundtrack sampler for this very game!

The only thing Microsoft has done so far in terms of modifying game assets directly, if i remember correctly. Was patching the FFXIII trilogy to use higher resolution cutscenes. (Specifically, the 360 version used FMVs that ran at 576p. While the One version replaces them with 720p versions, which previously appeared in the PS3 version thanks to the Blu-ray having enough space to fit them in.)

I am once again asking for JSRF
You and me both, but as Krvavi Abadas explained, I’m not getting my hopes up. Still, the huge efforts done by Microsoft with bc, improvements to resolution and even framerate (for some xbox one games) makes me impressed.

Rock Of Ages has had it's release date changed to November 10th 2021 on the 360 store.
Only a few hours left until the Xbox event! 🥳

Not really too much in the way of further leaks currently, but i did stumble upon this.
katCali.png

On Microsoft's official listing of XBLA titles, this game (Rock Of Ages) has it's release date listed as November 10th like the OG Xbox games. But it's not reflected on the actual store page.

I've heard some reports that the game might have gotten relisted in a few regions like what happened with Max Payne 3. But the new date appearing in the marketplace worldwide(?) suggests it's also part of the Backwards Compatible lineup.

Last edited:
Once I'm done with moving an series console is one of the first things I'm getting.

Last edited:
I’m so curious if they’d ever bring
Mad Dash Racing. It was my first Xbox game and haven’t played it in two decades!

Outrun 2 is forever hampered by the fact that Ferrari won't allow it, I believe.

A tragedy that such an amazing game isn't more widely available.

Back
Top Bottom