• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Metroid |ST| Trust The Process

Are we finally seeing Metroid Prime 4's re-reveal in the next Nintendo Direct?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
0r21i84.jpg

I was thinking earlier today that it'd be funny if Sylux isn't in Metroid Prime 4 at all.
Didn’t retro mention that in the ending of 3 that sylux is following samus? So having him be the main villain would makes sense, if not… I wouldn’t upset more likely confused because they’ve been building him up for a decade.

Didn’t retro mention that in the ending of 3 that sylux is following samus? So having him be the main villain would makes sense, if not… I wouldn’t upset more likely confused because they’ve been building him up for a decade.
It's been so long that I think they could just ignore it if they have a better idea. But continuing and possibly finishing this storyline would be more cool. DREAD wasn't that much of a follow-up to Fusion and more of a sequel to Samus Returns's ideas, so yeah.

Trust the process TM, I guess.

if Metroid was adapted into a movie what director would you want?

i would want guillermo del toro just for his sense of scale and creature design
If the studio gave him space to do his thing, that'd be incredible

He'd be able to nail the vibe for sure.

Crossposting from the amiibo ST: Just saw this post on the Metroid subreddit! Had no idea they were reprinting the Samus Returns amiibo. Good news for folks who missed out. Looks like it might just be EU for now. Wondering if NA will see a reissue of the double pack.

Crossposting from the amiibo ST: Just saw this post on the Metroid subreddit! Had no idea they were reprinting the Samus Returns amiibo. Good news for folks who missed out. Looks like it might just be EU for now. Wondering if NA will see a reissue of the double pack.

Trying hard not to become an amiibo theory preacher

Well, reprinting all Metroid amiibo is in no way a bad sign if there's anything coming this year for the franchise. Not that it directly means anything, but I think stars are aligning well enough.
After playing Control, I now know two devs who could make a good 3rd person Metroid

And neither is Team Ninja
Yes, PlatinumGames and Nintendo EPD.

I wouldn't be against a third pillar on the Metroid franchise. I just think it shouldn't be Metroid Prime but third person nor 2D Metroid but 3D. Maybe something like a further out camera platforming game(like 3D World or Kirby and the Forgotten Land) or a stealth or puzzle solving game.

Yes, PlatinumGames and Nintendo EPD.

I wouldn't be against a third pillar on the Metroid franchise. I just think it shouldn't be Metroid Prime but third person nor 2D Metroid but 3D. Maybe something like a further out camera platforming game(like 3D World or Kirby and the Forgotten Land) or a stealth or puzzle solving game.
Having played a little bit of Penny's Big Breakaway and really enjoying the yoyo mechanics, I think a fixed-camera 3rd person action platforming game where the aiming/shooting is controlled by the right stick could be quite nifty.

A fixed camera game like Other M could work very well for Metroid. To be honest I wouldn't even mind them having character action game mechanics again, though I do think (from what I've seen) that Other M did a pretty bad job of making the stylish combat look natural to Metroid. I don't think Samus should be animated as an action hero, maybe a bit more stoic and purposeful. That being said, I feel like a fixed camera game would probably end up having third person over the shoulder segments anyways for targeting, which is a way better solution than the first person mode.

A camera like 3D World I would absolutely not want, 3D World is one of my favorite games even above most Metroids but that kind of camera doesn't lend itself to atmosphere, and I'd honestly say at this point a Metroid game being atmospheric is pretty much one of the bare minimum expectations of the series.

As for the whole I don't want a 3D Metroid to just be 2D Metroid ..... I, don't get that logic, and honestly it feels weirdly dismissive of the genre. A 3rd person Metroid game with a typical 3rd person camera would pretty much have to have major differences from the 2D games from the get go, as basically any series transitioning from 2D to 3D has shown us for decades now. But the benefits would be huge because you could communicate the appeal of both Metroid series while still having a different gameplay style. If anything, I think what Metroid is missing is a game that is somewhere in between the 2D games and the Prime games. There's so many elements of Metroid's appeal that aren't communicated effectively in the Prime games, and at the same time the Prime games feel like they're going to go down a more atmospheric exploratory direction that the 2D series has been moving away from for a while now. A third person game with slower horror segments, where you can do action combos if you hit enemy weak points, would be pretty cool. But it's very easy to say you just want something "different".

A stealth or puzzle Metroid is pretty much the last thing I'd want though ... not only are all those elements already represented in the games themselves, but they're also some of the weakest elements of the games by far. I don't really see any reason to believe we'd need an entire stealth game about Metroid, or an entire puzzle game about Metroid, almost feels like missing the point of the series. Then again I've said before that it's unfortunate it's so hard to make spin-offs in the Metroid universe, so maybe. But again, I find it weird to be dismissive of the many significant changes you'd have to do going from 2D sidescroller to 3D 3rd person or from 3D 1st person to 3D 3rd person, and then to say they should make some Metroid games in the genres Metroid is least good at. I'm not opposed to them trying something different, it just feels odd.

I don't think any of these games would get made at the same time, obviously, there's no universe where we get three big Metroid projects in development at the same time. This was just for "fun".

I think the best thing a third pillar studio for Metroid could do... is kinda unlikely to happen after Federation Force's reception. I don't want the team shooter co-op it was doing specifically, but I think the message that was sent there was that anything that diverges too much from the standard formula is strictly unwelcome. While Prime 4 was probably started as Nintendo's saving throw after that fiasco, sometimes I wonder what would have been if Fed Force had been delayed a year later to be announced alongside Samus Returns.

Because as a third pillar, I just think Metroid could benefit from having an anthology of smaller, shorter, cheaper, and most importantly experimental spinoff entries that are considered sort of 'soft' canon. Mercurysteam with the 2D entries and Retro with the Prime entries both constitute what I would consider to be mainline Metroid, and I think they have a good thing going there already. But I think it would be healthy for there to be a catalogue of weird side projects like Pinball, Hunters, and Federation Force running alongside them, taking the series in different directions in a low-stakes way. If those ideas work, they can be integrated, if they don't, they can be dismissed.

Relatedly, I also want a big-budget from-the-ground-up remake of Hunters that can do more with the concept and characters. At least Sylux is probably getting their dues in Prime 4, but the rest are also too interesting to leave behind in obscurity.

Maybe i'm overthinking it but my comment sounds like it's conveying a tone I didn't mean to .... my bad if it came off that way.

I do think that Metroid should have smaller lower budget games. This discussion had me thinking of something I can't get over now .... what if Hades but Metroid? Hadtroid? Mides?

I don't even like Hades that much, but the idea of transforming Metroid gameplay into that sound tantalizing .... imagine Samus's shinespark working like the projectile where if you hit an enemy with your shinespark you can change it into other enemies in a zig zag pattern

Hopefully with the goodwill of Dread, MPR and MP4 they'll take a risk on spin offs. Hopefully less half baked and much more calculated. Fed force's biggest crime was being the only new Metroid release since MOM with nothing else in sight, and also being fine at best. A 5-6/10 in a series of such high merit is pretty dire.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom