• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Metroid Prime 4: Pre-Release Discussion Thread

So cgi trailer next or will we see actual gameplay on the reveal trailer
For an actual answer to this, I figure it'll be close enough to release by the time the game comes back that there will be a big focus on actual gameplay.

If there were going to be a CGI trailer, the time for that probably would have been with the [iPrime R[/i] announcement. Still farther away, but the original returns!

That didn't happen, obviously.

Open world or not, my hope is that Prime 4 just has some more optional content to help with replays.
I always think of Dark Souls 3, for anyone who has played that. A couple entire areas and bosses are completely optional such as the Demon Ruins. It would be awesome to have something like that for future playthroughs to choose if you wanted to do or not. Sure, lots of upgrades are optional, but they're usually just off the beaten path behind a puzzle or barrier that requires a certain power up. I'd love some optional bosses. Prime 3 did this with an optional Metroid Hatcher boss.
It would be especially cool if they are doing another "artifact" quest, but this time you didn't need them all (again, like Prime 3). Only this time, getting them all opens a secret area/boss. Maybe only 6 are required to beat the game, but if you get all 12 you get to fight some cool optional boss.

I don’t necessarily want the game to be one big open world, but I think each of the main areas should be at least mini open world. One of the things that struck me going back to Prime was that areas like Magmoor Caverns were basically a long corridor of small areas stuck together.

I don't doubt that an open world label slapped on it would sell better, but they still shouldn't do it.

Open world design is practically the complete antithesis of Metroidvanias, if you're going to make that game, you might as well make an original IP or choose some other bigger IP Nintendo has, because it's not going to have progression like a Metroid game, no matter how you spin it.

CGI only reveal should’ve never been in Nintendo’s minds. They know people want to see gameplay from the get go. You already delayed a game which was announced 6 years ago.

Considering that Open Wolrd are some pf the most costly games of them all and Prime 4 already had a shit tone of problems I dont think Retro FIRST EVER 3D HD GAME is going to be open world

I mean look how many people have to help the people behind Zelda

I don't doubt that an open world label slapped on it would sell better, but they still shouldn't do it.

Open world design is practically the complete antithesis of Metroidvanias, if you're going to make that game, you might as well make an original IP or choose some other bigger IP Nintendo has, because it's not going to have progression like a Metroid game, no matter how you spin it.

I guess as a guy that loves sequence breaking in Metroid games, I have a bit of a different view on how being "open" could be a good thing. The idea of a game where the only "gates" are limited by a) player skill/execution and b) what in-game weapons/abilities/armors I have access to sounds pretty close to my ideal direction for a Metroid.

But I completely understand that those like me definitely operate in a distinctive niche. Maybe we'd just feel better if, historically, Retro didn't go out of their way to patch out various skips and the like!

To me, Metroid has always been about feeling very tight and claustrophobic, so I think an open world would go against that. Actually, one of my problems with Metroid Prime 1 back when it came out was how just about every area in the game had an open sky, even Magmoor Caverns. I'm someone who likes when Metroid is about descending into the deepest bowels of a planet and that kind of hindered that feeling for me.

It's technically possible for this game to be open-world, but it would involve:

A): The "open-world" stuff being super half-assed
B): The game not being a Metroidvania at all
C): Incredible design philosophy never seen in a AAA game before

It's probably just not going to happen.

please god,i just hope retro dont follow any of the suggestions given in the last 10 pages,just do a metroid prime game like the first one,no open world,no melee combat,keep the controls the same,no saving anywhere,no side quests its a perfect game,a unchanged re-release of the first game is the second highest rated game released this year,the original is the highest rated game from that gen,fuck the mainstream gamers theres nothing like the prime series and they shouldnt ruin it because call of duty players dont want to get lost.

please god,i just hope retro dont follow any of the suggestions given in the last 10 pages,just do a metroid prime game like the first one,no open world,no melee combat,keep the controls the same,no saving anywhere,no side quests its a perfect game,a unchanged re-release of the first game is the second highest rated game released this year,the original is the highest rated game from that gen,fuck the mainstream gamers theres nothing like the prime series and they shouldnt ruin it because call of duty players dont want to get lost.

Metroid prime isn't a perfect game, far from it.

A game that has Metroid prime like design is going to get completely wrecked if prime 4 is just effectively a reskin. I'd go as far to say that my opinion is that prime remaster is vastly overrated in terms of its metascore.

At its core, it's still a game with GameCube era design, the geometry is absurdly simple, the ways you can actually interact with the world are boringly trivial, the enemy design is mediocre by modern standards at best. I'd say it's even down to modern standards, but even at the time , Metroid prime was behind the curve on controls. A GameCube era title that didn't even let you move and aim at the same time (and not as a deliberate way to induce horror like RE4) was already well behind the times. It was only once we got the trilogy Wii version that the games actually got decent controls.

It manages to skate by these criticisms because it's just a remaster, But any new game that comes out designed like that is going to get correctly lambasted. Something like the last two doom games run circles around it.

I feel like at this point in the post I need to point at my Metroid avatar's I've been using for most of a decade for a reminder of how much I like the series.

They already modernised the controls, thank goodness, with the remaster, prime 3 already had the beginnings of melee combat with some of the grapple stuff, and saving being much easier with a generous autosave system is one of the best things that happened to dread, because it let them make boss fights and enemy encounters that weren't laughably trivial (like all of primes are), because they don't need to worry about killing the player sending them back a completely unknown amount.

IF there's any sense at all in the people at retro, we're definitely getting all those things at minimum.

I don't understand people who don't want a franchise to evolve. Same for "Metroid purists" who criticized all the new mechanics in Dread and just wanted a Super Metroid clone with nothing new. If you want a game like that, just play the old game. Each new entry should have new elements to keep things fresh and not give a feeling of stagnation.
I know we're all traumatized after Other M and Federation Force and that's why we don't like change, but the feedback from those games at least helped Nintendo learn what fans don't want from the franchise.

It's darn near impossible to have a discussion about what cool new things we might look forward to in Prime 4 because so many "fans" just want Super Metroid and Prime 1 (basically a 3D Super Metroid) over and over and over.

The gameplay of Dread was phenomenal, I struggle to think of another search action that felt that damn good to play. Whatever the 3d first person equivalent of that is, is what I would like to feel in MP4.

If we were going to see a fully open world Metroid, I'd much prefer it to be in the 2d series.

One of my favourite games of all time - maybe my favourite, and a game I prefer to any Metroid game - is Rain World, which has 2d platforming around a Metroid-style map but where the only thing preventing you from going wherever you want directly from the start is player skill. There are no upgrades, items, exp, hit points etc. The sense of freedom is magnificent.

I'd love to see a 2d Metroid toy with that, but I can't lie and say it doesn't go directly against everything the series is supposed to be. Metroid is an empowerment fantasy, Rain World is a disempowerment nightmare.

I don't care if they go for open world but I don't think prime 4 can be too similar to prime 1-3. The game would probably sell well but the series would stagnate. Dread was already too similar to previous entries outside the emmi stuff IMO and prime 4 (metroid 6 as well) need to make a bigger splash.

Just play the old games, they wont be gone.

Honestly feel like "Just make Prime 1 in pretty" and "Just make it open world" are basically at the opposite ends of a spectrum of extremely silly ideas that'd make Prime 4 either unenjoyable for the mainstream or for the core audience.

There's gotta be a middleground. I don't want this to be just a Prime 1 reskin but I also don't want this to turn into Breath of the Metroid featuring Doomgal. No idea where that middleground is but I wish Retro good luck on finding it :LOL:

Last edited:
Honestly feel like "Just make Prime 1 in pretty" and "Just make it open world" are basically at the opposite sides of a spectrum of extremely silly ideas that'd make Prime 4 either unenjoyable for the mainstream or for the core audience.

There's gotta be a middleground. I don't want this to be just a Prime 1 reskin but I also don't want this to turn into Breath of the Metroid featuring Doomgal. No idea where that middleground is but I wish Retro good luck on finding it :LOL:
Inb4 the Zero Suit Dishonored section

Hollow knight style multiple goals/routes with plenty of optional locations (which isn't too different to Super Metroid, just more routes and less sequence breaking required) but in 3d with some open zone areas (but not full open world), please.

Honestly feel like "Just make Prime 1 in pretty" and "Just make it open world" are basically at the opposite sides of a spectrum of extremely silly ideas that'd make Prime 4 either unenjoyable for the mainstream or for the core audience.

thing is, innovation is not only open world.

Sometimes people quote that old interview that says "oh we re planning mp4 to be more like mp1" (we certainly dont know if that still applies to the rebooted version, but that isnt the point) which made purists act like "oh you see nintendo learned what we want"

There are so many ways you could "be more like mp1" and i feel half of them would make purists angry. For all we know that only means we wont see too many npcs.

the middleground would be large explorable areas but obviously not as big as the map of BotW, and keeping that "maze" feel of the metroidvanias. And it would be great if Samus's beams did cool things like the Sheikah Slate that affects the world in different ways, like using the ice beam to create a bridge in the water or the plasma beam to set fire to the vegetation and find new paths.

Calling everyone on this thread out, fuck the purists and fuck the people who want something radically different, let retro studios make the game they want to make, it will still turn out to be a masterpiece, so let them cook

Man, I fucking love immersive sims but I'm not sure if that'd work. Although I've always found the Zero Suit stuff in Zero Mission kinda fun 👀
Yeah maybe dishonored isn't the right fit for that, more of a Metroid Ghor Samus

Calling everyone on this thread out, fuck the purists and fuck the people who want something radically different, let retro studios make the game they want to make, it will still turn out to be a masterpiece, so let them cook
i strongly agree. But im hoping they are on the ambitious side of the scale, lol.

If anything, Prime R's metascore is too low. It's a better version of arguably the best game of all time (no, I don't think it's a perfect game though and there are a lot of criticism's even I have for it).

Personally though, I think Prime 2 and 3 are more interesting games for what they added to the formula, similar to how I regard Fusion and Return of Samus to be more interesting than Super and Zero Mission. I love when Metroid deviates from it's established formula. That being said, open world is a no-no for Metroid in my opinion, not only due to my general disdain for the majority of open world games, but for the overall design of what Metroid is. It has nothing to do with not wanting the series to change. If that were true I wouldn't find Other M at times to be more enjoyable than the M1 and M2 remakes.

From the original press release of the game, it's sounding like we aren't going to get anything too far removed from MP1. And I think that's absolutely something that came from Tanabe. I wonder though, if that's what he really wants to do creatively, or if he felt that's the direction the new team should go in since they had no prior experience with the series.

Now that it's in Retro's hands, I think it will depend on how much creativity he allows them. They absolutely are never lacking in crazy ideas... everything from Metroid Prime 1.5 to the original concept for Corruption, they were never afraid to get weird with the series. Even if the final versions of Echoes and Corruption were more conservative than the original concepts for them, I think they still managed to pull of some interesting ideas that pushed the series forward. And with DKC they veered in way different directions compared to Rare's work. And even there there were all these crazy concepts that were left unused like the Virtual Boy style minecart level from Returns, or the snowball fight bonus room minigame from Tropical Freeze.

I absolutely am down for whatever direction they choose to go in, and am all for them expanding the series in ways we haven't thought of.

If anything, Prime R's metascore is too low. It's a better version of arguably the best game of all time (no, I don't think it's a perfect game though and there are a lot of criticism's even I have for it).
Subjectivity aside (i certainly dont agree with prime being anywhere near top games)... Remasters, Remakes... Lets put it this way: What pushed MPR above... was the nostalgia to see the game's visuals redone, or was it actual quality?

I dont think it would have gotten a 94 if it wasnt a Remaster. instead a new game. It wasnt subject to the much harsher standards game magazines have nowadays.

And lastly, as a remaster it is the least impressive of the three released during that time-frame (Dead Space Remake, RE4RE) but the one that was the best reviewed, despite going against games that were just as relevant, important and full of quality. As much as Prime, if not more.

Subjectivity aside (i certainly dont agree with prime being anywhere near top games)... Remasters, Remakes... Lets put it this way: What pushed MPR above... was the nostalgia to see the game's visuals redone, or was it actual quality?

I dont think it would have gotten a 94 if it wasnt a Remaster. And as a remaster it is the least impressive of the three released during that time-frame (Dead Space Remake, RE4RE).

I think it was both. You can level criticisms at any game. I could write pages about all the things I dislike about Breath of the Wild or The Last of Us and how I think there is a lot of poor design in both games. Yet they sit pretty at a 96 and 97. Metroid Prime is one of the most immaculately designed games of all time, and you don't have to search far to watch or read in depth analysis of how it demonstrates greatness in nearly every area of game design.

RE4 and Dead Space are also two of my favorite games of all time. I haven't yet played the Dead Space Remake (I replayed the OG game right before the remake was announced, so I'm not ready yet). I will say that it really annoys me that they changed Isaac's face so drastically, and it will be something that annoys me as I play through it. There is also something slightly off to me about the visuals. It seems too clean and less gritty, but I'll wait till I can actually play it on my TV before final judgement. I do like the sound of the ship being completely interconnected this time around, with rewards for going off the beaten path.

RE4 Remake is definitely a mixed bag for me. I absolutely love what they did with the village part. The Castle (my favorite part of the OG) has some great moments but they cut out and botched way too much from the original. The depths in particular were just bad to me, and I especially disliked how they changed how a certain character met his end. The Island was also pretty bad in my opinion. They somehow made it even worse than the original, and took out one of the few good moments "It" had. I'd give this Remake maybe an 8/10, the OG is a 9.5+

It's fine though, everyone sees things different, and the scores are what they are.

I think it was both. You can level criticisms at any game. I could write pages about all the things I dislike about Breath of the Wild or The Last of Us and how I think there is a lot of poor design in both games. Yet they sit pretty at a 96 and 97. Metroid Prime is one of the most immaculately designed games of all time, and you don't have to search far to watch or read in depth analysis of how it demonstrates greatness in nearly every area of game design.

RE4 and Dead Space are also two of my favorite games of all time. I haven't yet played the Dead Space Remake (I replayed the OG game right before the remake was announced, so I'm not ready yet). I will say that it really annoys me that they changed Isaac's face so drastically, and it will be something that annoys me as I play through it. There is also something slightly off to me about the visuals. It seems too clean and less gritty, but I'll wait till I can actually play it on my TV before final judgement. I do like the sound of the ship being completely interconnected this time around, with rewards for going off the beaten path.

RE4 Remake is definitely a mixed bag for me. I absolutely love what they did with the village part. The Castle (my favorite part of the OG) has some great moments but they cut out and botched way too much from the original. The depths in particular were just bad to me, and I especially disliked how they changed how a certain character met his end. The Island was also pretty bad in my opinion. They somehow made it even worse than the original, and took out one of the few good moments "It" had. I'd give this Remake maybe an 8/10, the OG is a 9.5+

It's fine though, everyone sees things different, and the scores are what they are.
You focused entirely on my criticism of MPR instead of focusing on my actual point. Not cool.

You focused entirely on my criticism of MPR instead of focusing on my actual point. Not cool.

Not sure what your main point is I guess. Your second paragraph is a nothing argument though. How would it be a new game if it already exists? That's like the Belda agrument to me. Your third paragraph I did respond to in great detail.

Not sure what your main point is I guess. Your second paragraph is a nothing argument though. How would it be a new game if it already exists? That's like the Belda agrument to me. Your third paragraph I did respond to in great detail.
My point was that MPR wouldn't have gotten such praise, if it wasnt a remaster, if it instead it was a new game that was releasing in 2023.

My point was that MPR wouldn't have gotten such praise, if it wasnt a remaster, if it instead it was a new game that was releasing in 2023.

I don't get what you are talking about. Are you talking about a hypothetical history where Metroid Prime never released in 2002 and released for the first time in 2023?

no lol. MPR already got criticisms by new players for the way it played.

By who? Random people on youtube and video game forums?

MPR has a higher user review MC score (87) than both Breath of the Wild (83) and Tears of the Kingdom (85). The OG MP has a 90.

If anything, MP nearly retaining it's metascore from 20 years ago is a testament just to how well it has held up, and to the excellence of the execution of this remaster. That better looking (technically) games on more powerful systems can get remakes and still not score as well as MP says it all. Even The Last of Us got prettied up for the new gen dropped 8 points to an 88.

I'm almost more surprised Prime Remastered didn't get more flack for sticking so close to the original while other remakes are making major and fundamental changes to their source material. I find it refreshing, actually.

By who? Random people on youtube and video game forums?

MPR has a higher user review MC score (87) than both Breath of the Wild (83) and Tears of the Kingdom (85). The OG MP has a 90.

If anything, MP nearly retaining it's metascore from 20 years ago is a testament just to how well it has held up, and to the excellence of the execution of this remaster. That better looking (technically) games on more powerful systems can get remakes and still not score as well as MP says it all. Even The Last of Us got prettied up for the new gen dropped 8 points to an 88.

Of course MPR would be rated higher than those games, considering only fans bought it.

Prime, in comparison to modern titles is a slow, clunky game with depressingly bad gunplay (you still have to kill countless pirates, and they come back yeah). Story, narrative? Close to zero. Even the well liked games that are considered thin on that regard have much more than Prime, even the newest Zelda games.

It wouldn't be hitting many top of game of the year lists, for sure.

Last edited:
It’s ok you have Metroid Prime 1-3 forever to play. Time for Nintendo and Retro to move forward. Lol if you think people at retro want to make games from early 2000’s.

I don't think the praise for Metroid Prime would be the same (or even higher) in 2023 as it was in 2002 if this year marked the very first time it was ever releasing, but I also don't think it's a worthwhile framework to even entertain. It's not a point to raise that actually says much of anything. Yes, if Metroid Prime released on the Switch this year, as a brand new game, featuring GameCube era mechanics, completely ignoring the past two decades of innovation and evolution in game design, it likely wouldn't be getting 10/10s... obviously! The same can be said of many of the greatest games of all time.

The game releasing exactly as-is in 2023 for the first time is a purely hypothetical reality, but it doesn't even make sense within its own contained "logic", since a game developer would never release an AAA game with GameCube era game design today anyway. Facts as they are: Metroid Prime released in 2002, and it was cutting edge for its time. It didn't release as some dusty old dinosaur of antiquated game design from several generations ago, so I don't see the merit in judging it as such.

Super Mario 64 release would get praise. Don’t mean Nintendo would make that same game. Please look at Super Mario Odyssey. Mario moveset has expanded. The worlds have expanded. There’s a lot more creativity now.

I don't think the praise for Metroid Prime would be the same (or even higher) in 2023 as it was in 2002 if this year marked the very first time it was ever releasing, but I also don't think it's a worthwhile framework to even entertain. It's not a point to raise that actually says much of anything. Yes, if Metroid Prime released on the Switch this year, as a brand new game, featuring GameCube era mechanics, completely ignoring the past two decades of innovation and evolution in game design, it likely wouldn't be getting 10/10s... obviously! The same can be said of many of the greatest games of all time.

The game releasing exactly as-is in 2023 for the first time is a purely hypothetical reality, but it doesn't even make sense within its own contained "logic", since a game developer would never release an AAA game with GameCube era game design today anyway. Facts as they are: Metroid Prime released in 2002, and it was cutting edge for its time. It didn't release as some dusty old dinosaur of antiquated game design from several generations ago, so I don't see the merit in judging it as such.
i know, i wasnt trying to pass it as some massive "gotcha" logic. I really like Prime a lot so i didn't like making that post as well. Yeah i should alter a bit, it really sounds quite pretensious lol.

belmont :
"They didn't want them making any changes to the design. They just wanted a 1:1 remake of the original games with new art built to modern standards. Down to them even reusing the original collision meshes and just replacing the art. They didn't want to mess with perfection. "

retro considers it perfect,they could easely change things ,even skyward sword had a lot of changes,prime was released exacty like it was in 2002

they can modernize some things,destructible enviromments,better ai,more enemies on screen,maybe some botw like physics, the dont have to ditch the rooms structure,every metroid game have doors,metroid in its core is a game about small cramped environments,claustrophobic felling of going down hostile places, prime is the best looking switch game because of the small rooms and doors,you want metroid prime 4 to look worse than prime 1 ?,prime 3 is worse because all the dialogue and characters,nobody cares for those ugly hunters or humans,prime 2 is a very different game despite having a lot in common,prime 4 will have new worlds,new weapons new enemies,its been 16 years,retro dont need to give up everything that made the trilogy special to follow trends and make some open world, narrative heavy,flash combat game to cater to millenials with short attention spam

what is even gamecube era design ? i played some gamecube,even some snes games for the first time recently that i would give a 10, good design is good design,its timeless,the average modern game its not better than the average gamecube game,most indie games would run on a gamecube and people keep loving new releases,some users on this very forum think ocarian of time is better than totk despite having 1% of the content and none of the emergent systems,a lot of users would say metal gear solid 2 is better than 5 and similar examples

Last edited:
belmont :
"They didn't want them making any changes to the design. They just wanted a 1:1 remake of the original games with new art built to modern standards. Down to them even reusing the original collision meshes and just replacing the art. They didn't want to mess with perfection. "

retro considers it perfect,they could easely change things ,even skyward sword had a lot of changes,prime was released exacty like it was in 2002

they can modernize some things,destructible enviromments,better ai,more enemies on screen,maybe some botw like physics, the dont have to ditch the rooms structure,every metroid game have doors,metroid in its core is a game about small cramped environments,claustrophobic felling of going down hostile places, prime is the best looking switch game because of the small rooms and doors,you want metroid prime 4 to look worse than prime 1 ?,prime 3 is worse because all the dialogue and characters,nobody cares for those ugly hunters or humans,prime 2 is a very different game despite having a lot in common,prime 4 will have new worlds,new weapons new enemies,its been 16 years,retro dont need to give up everything that made the trilogy special to follow trends and make some open world, narrative heavy,flash combat game to cater to millenials with short attention spam

what is even gamecube era design ? i played some gamecube,even some snes games for the first time recently that i would give a 10, good design is good design,its timeless,the average modern game its not better than the average gamecube game,most indie games would run on a gamecube and people keep looving new releases

I can only roll my eyes because yeah that’s what everyone here is clamoring for.

prime 3 is worse because all the dialogue and characters,nobody cares for those ugly hunters or humans
Based on what I've observed, most of the Metroid fandom loves the hunters from Corruption (and even Admiral Dane). I wouldn't call 'em "ugly" at all. In fact, I'd like to see even more unique alien species, going forward. Flesh out that universe. Bring us more lore.
retro dont need to give up everything that made the trilogy special to follow trends and make some open world, narrative heavy,flash combat game to cater to millenials with short attention spam
Millennials are the ones who grew up playing 3D Metroid and are currently looking forward to Prime 4, lol. You're talking about people who are in their 20s and 30s now.

I don't think they are going to abandon everything that makes the series what it is, but it also needs to evolve.

I wouldn't mind an NPC as long as they're well written and have a reason to be there.

I would welcome a shake up of the combat.
Playing Metroid Prime Remastered showed me how much of a Bullet Spong most bosses are.
I like the Thardus and Ridley fights, but they really feel more like a battle of endurance cause you chip away at their health very slowly and there is no way to oncrease your damage output other than spmaming the beam button as hard as you can. Just make a fun gameplay loop.

If we get more open areas I'll welcome it, I don't think they will go full open world, but they'll utilise the hardware.
The Prime Trilogy has been limited by the gamecube and Wii, I expect to see levels that wouldn' be possible on there.

If we get more checkpoints I expect them to also give us more challenging boss battles as a trade off just like in Samus Returns or Dread.

They won't go make it some far cry reskin, but they won't make a gamecube game either.
It feels like for some people there's no inbetween in this thread.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember the fact sheet from e3 2017 if so the game will be more in line with prime 1 than anything else, unless the changed it completely when moving to retro it does say returning to the roots of the original game, so I'm sure its not open world but same as design as prime 1.

factsheet-e32017-metrlws0a.png

Back
Top Bottom