• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Metroid Prime 4: Beyond new trailer, coming to Nintendo Switch in 2025

我认为,UI 已经告诉我们很多有关游戏流程的信息。如果光束/导弹确实分配给方向键并且不堆叠,并且如果有一个指定按钮用于扫描而不是用于选择护目镜,那么这些都是相当大的变化。

快速光束交换使您可以设计具有各种弱点的敌人和 Boss,而不仅仅是“用导弹/抓钩剥离它,用光束/导弹/ b + m 组合烹饪它”,我觉得所有 Prime 游戏都已经暗示了这一点,但很少能很好地实现。

而护目镜的作用应该是不言自明的。切换到扫描护目镜有点麻烦,因为它会遮挡除你正在扫描的东西之外的所有东西。它具有沉浸感,但这也意味着你在收集信息时并没有真正看到整个房间。从战斗护目镜扫描解决了这个问题,同时也使扫描过程更快。

总的来说,这是一部很棒的预告片!我唯一担心的是,到目前为止我们看到的画面看起来非常线性,包括结尾处行星的长镜头。那个房间似乎只有一个入口和一个出口,至少从我们在预告片和网站上的视频中看到的情况来看是这样。不过,它可能会导致更大的空间和更多的路径,所以我们拭目以待吧。

如果我们进行时间旅行,那么像《羞辱 2》(或《泰坦陨落 2》?是另一部吗?)那样希望在不同时间段之间进行按需转换是否过于雄心勃勃。使用精心放置的传送门会使其与《回声》太相似,不符合我的口味。
The time-travel mechanic is a gameplay that Nintendo implemented back in Ocarina of Time and carried forward in Skyward Sword in 2011, and there's no reason to think they couldn't pull it off.

Famiboards logbook - Entry 275
Day 2 of arguing about the Metroid Prime 4: Beyond trailer. Subjects are showing first signs of emotional distress and are starting to turn on each other. Further research might be needed to assess weapon capabilities.

Yeah that lab is showing me it has no exploration for real, too linear and no interactivity. I bet the whole game is gonna look like that. Disappointed.
Super_Metroid_(SNES)_07.png

Yeah that lab is showing me it has no exploration for real, too linear and no interactivity. I bet the whole game is gonna look like that. Disappointed.
It's just so washed in blue. I can't believe the art looks so bad.

This is a very moody opening that sets the tone really well and gives a good impression of what Super Metroid will be.

I hope that Prime 4's opening has nothing whatsoever to do with the rest of the game as it looks like a really terrible action game.

This is what Metroid should sound like. Period. There's a stark contrast between the fandom's unanimous embrace of this not even 25 second isolated music sample, and the collective unenthused shrug that practically the entirety of Dread's soundtrack was met with. Hopefully the message is received loud and clear.
Honestly, I disagree! To me this is Prime's identity specifically, not 2D Metroid's, and I don't see the point of blending those two things together sound-wise when they're so different in how they play.

Now, what exactly is 2D Metroid's aural identity, I wouldn't say with certainty. All 2D games do fairly different things in that regard, except for maybe Metroid and Metroid II. All I know is that if they're planning to continue the path Dread set, I want a soundtrack that fits the atmosphere and speed of those games, and I don't think aping Prime is the way to go.

Last edited:
I'd understand the concern if they didn't show the Pandora jungle at the end of trailer. Environmental variety is going to be a nonissue

if this game is sucessful, i would love to see the ship having a more integral part of the gameplay. Using that botw/tofk engine would be great.

"This person has found a solution to make Famiboards a much better experience !"
"Discover his method that the mods hate (citation needed)"

Famis, the Ignore button is nice, but it's even better when you use it instead of feeding the troll so poeple who already ignored him don't see messages from everyone like this :

Quote : "You are igniring this user"
Please explain me how it makes sense ?

Quote "You are ignoring this user"
But in what universe does HALO has anything to do with Prime 4 sales ?

How can you judge the entire game potential in 15 seconds of gameplay ?

I don't get it.

It makes the ignore feature completely useless, IMO.

Or maybe the mods can do something ? Please ?

I think everything we saw visually was very, very solid and has me excited to play the game. It looked like a Metroid Prime game on the Nintendo Switch, or perhaps even better than I expected.

Gameplay-wise I think it's clear that they're hiding the most major changes to the game's mechanics. It looks very iterative, but I have a suspicion the final game will mix things up a lot more. This trailer looks to me like it's taking place entirely within the first 30 minutes of the game, so it's hard to judge. It's an action set piece much like the Frigate Orpheon or the ship assault from Prime 3.

This is a very moody opening that sets the tone really well and gives a good impression of what Super Metroid will be.

I hope that Prime 4's opening has nothing whatsoever to do with the rest of the game as it looks like a really terrible action game.
It is indeed very moody. It's also an opening from a fully finished game.

We saw a teaser from a game that is still ~1 year from release. Sliced up bits of an unfinished opening with music on top. Retro is still hiring a graphics engineer, and were hiring other people until quite recently. Visuals are among the last things to be fully finished.

Trust the process

It is indeed very moody. It's also an opening from a fully finished game.

We saw a teaser from a game that is still ~1 year from release. Sliced up bits of an unfinished opening with music on top. Retro is still hiring a graphics engineer, and were hiring other people until quite recently. Visuals are among the last things to be fully finished.

Trust the process

OK, but this game has been in development for 5.5 years and they did not need to show it yesterday.

Metroid Prime 4 looks awesome! First i couldn´t believe it is a Switch game. But if you look closely, you can see some of the technical cutbacks. Regardless, it looked smooth and more interactive then the predecessors. I cannot wait.

With this reveal, when do we think the game releases? And when do we think Prime 2 and 3 come to Switch relative to Beyond?

IDK, like September 2025? This trailer is very strange and looks like a really rushed vertical slice that shows no new mechanics and doesn't suggest anything tone wise.

Quoted by: Joe
the funny thing is that this would actually be true if you used Dread
And Dread is still one of my favorite games of all time and peak 2D gameplay lol, I truly can't imagine Metroid 6 for Switch 2 (or a mf Prime 5 exclusive to next gen for that matter)

People: I love Metroid Prime, I wish there was a new game

MP4 appears

Also people: Meh, I actually wanted something that looks less (METROID PRIME)

You can preserve the essence of a game while changing it or evolving it in many ways.

Zelda just presented their vision of this idea in this in the very same Direct and Doom Dark Ages did a week ago.

Using the same enemies, guns, and animations from two decades ago is bleak to me.

Whatever, I'm done now, this trailer just makes me so sad. It looks like creative stagnation bordering on creative death. Hopefully there's just any originality in the rest of the game.

Honestly, I disagree! To me this is Prime's identity specifically, not 2D Metroid's, and I don't see the point of blending those two things together sound-wise when they're so different in how they play.

Now, what exactly is 2D Metroid's aural identity, I wouldn't say with certainty. All 2D games do fairly different things in that regard, except for maybe Metroid and Metroid II. All I know is that if they're planning to continue the path Dread set, I want a soundtrack that fits the atmosphere and speed of those games, and I don't think aping Prime is the way to go.
I think there's a readily apparent throughline between Kenji Yamamoto's work on Super Metroid, Zero Mission, and the Prime games (fingers crossed this is indeed him on Prime 4). The choral elements and general motifs are in the same vein, even when it comes to original compositions (not just the Prime versions of Super themes). Yamamoto did serve as music director on Dread, but the quality of the OST wasn't quite on-par with that of the other games he's been involved in.

I'm willing to embrace a new musical direction that better suits the frantic and supercharged nature the 2D games will hopefully continue to take, but it needs to sound good.

With this reveal, when do we think the game releases? And when do we think Prime 2 and 3 come to Switch relative to Beyond?

Going by the wording they used in the direct ("release planned for 2025"), I am getting major "BOTW2 is aiming for 2022" vibes. I sadly think they are hoping for holiday 2025 and there is a chance it could get pushed back further. If it was closer, I think they would have showed more off yesterday.

You can preserve the essence of a game while changing it or evolving it in many ways.

Zelda just presented their vision of this idea in this in the very same Direct and Doom Dark Ages did a week ago.

Using the same enemies, guns, and animations from two decades ago is bleak to me.
I disagree with this. Doom the Dark ages is just more doom, and just like Prime there is nothing wrong with that

Going by the wording they used in the direct ("release planned for 2025"), I am getting major "BOTW2 is aiming for 2022" vibes. I sadly think they are hoping for holiday 2025 and there is a chance it could get pushed back further. If it was closer, I think they would have showed more off yesterday.
This is a huge reach. "Wording" doesn't mean anything. I can do the opposite: I'm getting major "Smash for Switch is aiming for 2018" vibes. As in, they announced a release date that they're fully capable of hitting and just hadn't nailed down or don't want to disclose for marketing reasons yet, and it will in fact launch in that year.

I disagree with this. Doom the Dark ages is just more doom, and just like Prime there is nothing wrong with that

There were significant gameplay additions and changes shown in the trailer. New guns, new setting, new enemy types, controllable kaijus, different area layouts, etc.

This Prime 4 trailer showed zero mechanics, enemies, or weapons not in the original while being a beat for beat remake of Prime 3’s first action set piece.

It’s kind of staggering just how much is recycled from Prime 3 here, I don’t understand it at all.

To me it feels like they are just being ultra cautious because it was already delayed badly once.

My guess: 2025 is a lock, planning to release in the first half of the year but might slip to later half.

The moody vibe comes from the music and context, otherwise it's just a blue place. And we don't know 100% how those will be here.

That's not the same at all. The first actual trailer for bayonetta 3 was incredible; the logo teaser back in like 2017 or whenever it was wasn't a trailer. It showed a solid cutscene, which unlike prime is actually a major part of bayonetta, it showed the new mechanics of the game, it showed the refinements to the combat system, and what the new mechanics did for the combat.

Objectively I think this trailer is one of the weakest initial showings of a title from Nintendo in a long time; if the game is doing anything beyond reskinning prime 1 remaster, it sure wasn't communicated by the trailer. If you wanted anything beyond "wow it's pretty", the trailer falls flat.

It's a game releasing in 2020s era hardware but you couldn't tell they had any interest in moving beyond the capabilities of hardware from decades ago and that's a real shame because 2d Metroid Made huge steps forward and I don't think it's unreasonable to hope that 3d Metroid could have done (and hopefully did) the same

I'm saying that it's similar because they both got logo teasers and then actual trailers many years later. I disagree that Bayo 3's was any better than Prime 4's, especially after how incredible Bayo 2 was.

I think there's a readily apparent throughline between Kenji Yamamoto's work on Super Metroid, Zero Mission, and the Prime games (fingers crossed this is indeed him on Prime 4). The choral elements and general motifs are in the same vein, even when it comes to original compositions (not just the Prime versions of Super themes). Yamamoto did serve as music director on Dread, but the quality of the OST wasn't quite on-par with that of the other games he's been involved in.

I'm willing to embrace a new musical direction that better suits the frantic and supercharged nature the 2D games will hopefully continue to take, but it needs to sound good.
That's fair. Now that you mention it, it is kinda weird that there aren't more prominent choral motifs in Dread, given there's Chozo in that game and all that. From memory, there's some in Elun and Raven Beak's theme, but it's all very MIDI.

reminds me of when 3D world's first trailer had people calling it "HD 3D land" and it took till the game came out to prove people wrong

Sure, maybe this was just a terrible trailer and Tanabe feels they need a terrible opening sequence to start these games before it gets into the real game (though this failed horribly with Prime 3 so I don’t know why he would think that).

But seven years post announcement, I’m not confident at all. Bayo 3 immediately reasserted itself by showing new mechanics.

Sure, maybe this was just a terrible trailer and Tanabe feels they need a terrible opening sequence to start these games before it gets into the real game (though this failed horribly with Prime 3 so I don’t know why he would think that).

But seven years post announcement, I’m not confident at all. Bayo 3 immediately reasserted itself by showing new mechanics.
I thought you were done…

In case you missed it: link to the uncompressed trailer, straight from Nintendo :

Thanks, this looks amazing. Much smoother!

I agree that Prime does have it's own musical identity separate from the Prime series (though of course there are SOME similarities). But to me, Metroid 2 was quite a departure from 1 in terms of music and sound design (though both succeeded at the goal of making their respective environments feel "alive.")

😂 😭

I love Dread, but yeah, its art direction (particularly environmental) is sus.

Burenia and Ghavoran look quite nice at least. I actually feel like the main two Lords of Shadow games have some really nice art, so it's not like MS is incapable.

In case you missed it: link to the uncompressed trailer, straight from Nintendo :

Thank you for this. The YouTube compression really did this game's visuals a disservice. The metallic materials shown so far have a "brushed metal" appearance with normal mapped details and glossy specular reflections that are just destroyed by the compression artifacts in the YouTube trailer. Imagine what this would like with ray tracing and DLSS!

EDIT:

I also think that asset should make it much clearer that Prime 4 is a step above Prime Remastered in material rendering.

Back
Top Bottom