• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Metroid Prime 4: Beyond new trailer, coming to Nintendo Switch in 2025

What we saw was the intro to the game kind of like Frigate Orpheon from Prime 1, the rest of the game will not be like that.

I will say I never played Prime 2 or 3 but I found Prime 1’s combat serviceable at best. Hopefully there’s more stuff introduced after the game’s intro because it does seem to be more of the same. I have faith in Retro.

Surprised they left the 4 in the title - thought for sure they'd want a fresh start. Looks great, but a bit more cartoony/stylised than I expected.
They can only do so much with this weak hardware. Idk how much better Switch 2 version will look since it’s built for Switch 1

They can only do so much with this weak hardware. Idk how much better Switch 2 version will look since it’s built for Switch 1
I think it's more accurate to say that Metroid in general is stylized and we shouldn't expect Prime to strive for realism.

that was totally Kenji Yamamoto right?
It sounds kind of different from his old work, but it probably should given how the synths he was using are like 25 years old.

The electric guitar coming in during the Space Pirates theme does feel like a touch only he would add to Metroid, and the track at the end is much more authentically Prime than anything we've heard since Corruption, so he might actually be back.

It feels so good to be back after watching that trailer a couple of times. The music, the scanning system, the battling, that beautiful tease of a world shown… 2025 is going to be a year to remember.

Surprised they left the 4 in the title - thought for sure they'd want a fresh start. Looks great, but a bit more cartoony/stylised than I expected.
It's going to be hard to make Metroid Prime in the photorealistic style without overhauling some of the designs.

I do wonder if this being a cross-gen title, that Metroid Prime 2 & 3 Remastered would be made exclusive to the successor, but sport a style closer to said photorealism...though people have compared how end credits Samus looks in every installment...

I really hope Primes 2 and 3 come to Switch, sporting fresh coats of paint. It'd be cool to have all four Prime games with a fresh, consistent, and quality visual style. Might be asking too much, though. Just having them on Switch would be fine with me.

wait hold on

the intro takes place galactic year 20X9, this is 2 years post-super no?
I think people shouldn't pay much attention to dates in Metroid since there are a lot of inconsistencies and we don't really know how this "Cosmic Calendar" works and if a year is equal to an Earth year.

20X9... Doesn't the "X" mean any number? What is Super's date?

And Sylux hates the Galactic Fed, I don't think they ever said if he is human/was a part of it. Maybe they did, I forget. I just know he hates them for some unknown reason.

wait hold on

the intro takes place galactic year 20X9, this is 2 years post-super no?

I think folks are thinking too literally about the years for Metroid.

If the game is called “Beyond,” and potentially has time travel in it, the year could be a misdirection.

Samus may have time traveled to the time where the teaser takes place.

Though another possibility is since we have no idea what decade of the 21st Century Metroid takes place in, we could be in different decades for all we know.

I was under the impression that the Metroid dates were fairly consistent (outside of like the NES instruction booklet that says Samus is a guy) until Mercury Stream came along and messed some stuff up.

I think folks are thinking too literally about the years for Metroid.

If the game is called “Beyond,” and potentially has time travel in it, the year could be a misdirection.

Samus may have time traveled to the time where the teaser takes place.

Though another possibility is since we have no idea what decade of the 21st Century Metroid takes place in, we could be in different decades for all we know.
Dunno I feel like that's the intro and the time travel stuff starts later, assuming that's even the thing they're rolling with

Ah I looked it up. so 2079 according to Metroid Database... so this game takes place earlier in the year than Metroid II and Super. They got it right if Metroid Database is right as well. Still lines up.

Dunno I feel like that's the intro and the time travel stuff starts later, assuming that's even the thing they're rolling with

For all we know, the game takes place much further in the Metroid timeline, and Sylux had been waiting in the wings for years after Corruption.

We do know for example it takes place after Fed Force, but to our knowledge, the Prime series is before Return of Samus.

But I don’t know what year each game takes place in either, so… 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: I see there is an actual database fans have created. So potentially Prime 4 takes place a year after Corruption then.

Last edited:
I am a believer.
Tech wizard could always showing off their capabilities even on poor hardwares.
"Looks like Metroid Prime Remastered" is a great compliment to me.
can't wait for the digital foundry breakdown video.

It should be noted that dread didn’t really radically changed the way Metroid is played. It just polished up what worked to near perfection. I imagine this will be similar
This is such a good example, but it's in my favour!

For years I wished that 2d Metroids had better combat - better gunplay. It was never more than serviceable. It was the biggest problem in those games - and still is.

So when MercurySteam made Samus Returns, they DID make that happen! Samus Returns plays totally differently from previous 2d Metroids, with faster, more fluid movement, 360 beam aiming, and a parry attack. They then perfected this gameplay system with Dread. They did an amazing job modernizing 2d Samus combat.

This is literally exactly what I was expecting with Prime 4!

Metroid Prime Hunters was literally the first Metroid game I ever owned, so seeing Sylux here feels very full circle for me lol.

I would think it's a reasonable thing to assume.

"Beyond (Space and Time)" is a catchy enough thing, and as stated, the logo graphic looks like a black hole.

It feels so good to be back after watching that trailer a couple of times. The music, the scanning system, the battling, that beautiful tease of a world shown… 2025 is going to be a year to remember.
It's the bigger love of the Fami-ly!

I’ve watched that trailer about a dozen times now. Ugh I can’t wait.

And I’m just drooling at what the Switch 2 version could look like

If Sylux is here and he is affiliated with the Galactic Federation, I wonder if we’ll see Anthony Higgs?
I might honestly prefer the narrative Lego man makes an appearance. I think Anthony is an okay character, but the dude is tainted by the game he appears in! It's for that reason that I'd be surprised if they ever revisited him.

You know who we have a chance of seeing in this game, though? Admiral Dane! DAMN!

I might honestly prefer the narrative Lego man makes an appearance. I think Anthony is an okay character, but the dude is tainted by the game he appears in! It's for that reason that I'd be surprised if they ever revisited him.

You know who we have a chance of seeing in this game, though? Admiral Dane! DAMN!
🫡

It's going to be hard to make Metroid Prime in the photorealistic style without overhauling some of the designs.

I do wonder if this being a cross-gen title, that Metroid Prime 2 & 3 Remastered would be made exclusive to the successor, but sport a style closer to said photorealism...though people have compared how end credits Samus looks in every installment...
I thought about what made me think 'cartoony' and I reckon it's mostly just the decisions made with the new space pirate design. They just look like kinda generic pulp-era bug-eyed aliens - that makes them come off as slightly cartoony compared to the slightly more baroque bipedal aliens in Echoes and Corruption and a bit closer to the Pirates in Prime 1. Bit of a disappointing regression for me..

For all we know, the game takes place much further in the Metroid timeline, and Sylux had been waiting in the wings for years after Corruption.

We do know for example it takes place after Fed Force, but to our knowledge, the Prime series is before Return of Samus.

But I don’t know what year each game takes place in either, so… 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: I see there is an actual database fans have created. So potentially Prime 4 takes place a year after Corruption then.
Samus is still using her ship from Corruption. It returned for Federation Force, and is now present in Beyond as well. That could be an indicator of the fact that we aren't yet close to Metroid 2-3-4 in the timeline, as the ship used in those games differs from this one. Worth noting however, that the 2-3-4 ship did previously make an appearance in the Prime games (being the one Samus used in Echoes), so it's not a definitive indicator or anything. She could simply own a handful of ships and be in the habit of cycling through them, which has always been my headcanon.

I might have to replay Dread, there was music? Was that in a post launch update or something?
I'm gonna have to make a staff post and threadmark it.
Please refrain from experiencing the bad music of certain prior Metroid games, and keep discussion centered on the good music of games like Metroid Prime 4: Beyond. Remember to wear adequate ear protection at all times when Soshi Abe and Sayako Doi are credited. Thank you.

- Aurc, Hirokazu Tanaka, Kenji Yamamoto, Minako Hamano

My idea for the premise. The stolen tech that Sylux has is from research that the Federation had done, regarding the dimensional portals on Aether after Samus briefs them on what happened there. Sylux is searching for more research on it and assaults a Galactic Federation research center where they have a live Ing in stasis. Samus arrives to intervene and encounters Sylux. In the ensuing conflict, Sylux uses his prototype portal technology to fling Samus away. The chaotic nature of the portal damages her suit and disables much of her suit. Samus explores the new world and finds that it resides between dimensions, and that the creatures that live in it have strange abilities because of this. One of the creatures grants her the ability to reactivate these portals and travel back. Samus then explores many of these extradimensional planets, using them to traverse between planets as she chases after Sylux.

Not sure if this was brought up or not, but I'm gonna post this here too just in case!

So near the end of the trailer, I noticed some sort of weird portal thing behind Samus.

Screenshot_2024-06-18_at_22-07-52_1_Metroid_Prime_4_Beyond_Announcement_Trailer_Nintendo_Switch_-_YouTube.png

For all we know it could be some beginning save point, but I figure they'd use Samus's ship for that. Not sure its a loading zone either, I figure there would be a door or something like what Metroid usually does!

Metroid Prime 2 and 3 each introduced some sort of major gameplay hook / shake up (Metroid Prime 2 with its ammo beams and the dual world aspects, Metroid Prime 3 with the motion controls and corruption mode). That plus the name "Metroid Prime 4: Beyond" makes me wonder if this game also has some sort of "hook" that just wasn't in what was basically a teaser trailer!

Maybe it's something like Samus going into portals that lead here to weird places / planets? I have no idea, but I just think the thing behind her in that picture is interesting!

Might buy a Prime Hunters copy, was also interested in Federation Force but doesn’t seem to have much related content except for some cutscenes

I get many people didn't like Dread's approach of subtile, environmental music. That said, Burenia has one of the best songs in the entire franchise.

I'd love another take of this composing/sound design philosophy in Metroid 6. Most of the themes weren't memorable per se, but they always fit and emphasized the incredible sound design that Dread has.

I get many people didn't like Dread's approach of subtile, environmental music. That said, Burenia has one of the best songs in the entire franchise.

I'd love another take of this composing/sound design philosophy in Metroid 6. Most of the themes weren't memorable per se, but they always fit and emphasized the incredible sound design that Dread has.

I dig Burenia and Artaria III:

Back
Top Bottom