• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler Metroid Dread DLC - Will it happen? (Open Spoilers)

Magic-Man

Perseus Jackson
Pronouns
He/Him
SPOILERS WILL FOLLOW. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I just completed Metroid Dread, and while scrolling through Twitter I came across this tweet:

I hadn't stopped to think about it, but that right side of the map is surprisingly bare. So that got me thinking. What if we got a new area as DLC? This could feature the Red Emmi more, since it's literally in one scene and that's it, or maybe it could feature a monster X Emmi? The area could be desert-themed, as there's nothing like that in the game. They could also add a boss rush mode and the return of Fusion Mode from Samus Returns.

What are your thoughts?

DLC would be fun. Maybe we can get a DLC screen that says "Metroid 5: Metroid Dread" or "Metroid V".

I don't think Dread is getting DLC.

At best hope for extra modes, or a randomizer, or something like that.

The Metroid formula doesn't really lend itself to DLC imo. The critical path is so tightly designed that adding an area after the fact doesn't really work unless you redo significant portions of the main game.

I don't see them adding more areas, no. If they do DLC, the only thing that might make sense imo are a boss rush mode, a speedrun mode, and a randomiser.

Am I dreaming about the latter? Sure. Do I think we'll see anything? No.

Especially not a new area. The game feels complete the way it is, adding another area could completely ruin the flow and pacing.

Return of Little Birdie

People are saying an extra area wouldn't work, but that's exactly what they did for Zero Mission and people seem to like that game.

The Metroid formula doesn't really lend itself to DLC imo. The critical path is so tightly designed that adding an area after the fact doesn't really work unless you redo significant portions of the main game.
I don't see them adding more areas, no. If they do DLC, the only thing that might make sense imo are a boss rush mode, a speedrun mode, and a randomiser.

Am I dreaming about the latter? Sure. Do I think we'll see anything? No.

Especially not a new area. The game feels complete the way it is, adding another area could completely ruin the flow and pacing.
People said the same thing about Outer Wilds, but that game managed to add a whole new area to the game that people loved.

Hmm I don't think so. If you think about the level design in this one and the way you weave in and out of each area, you aren't doing them in full chunks with the odd door to backtrack on, it's very organic and dense the way you explore between them. That's not to say an extra area couldn't be good or anything, I'd totally buy it, but I think they'd have to do something a little different.

People said the same thing about Outer Wilds, but that game managed to add a whole new area to the game that people loved.
Hollow Knight also did it, I know it is not a new concept for this type of game. But I stand by what I said. I would be surprised if they did add anything more than an extra mode or two.

I doubt we'll get DLC for this game, it seems pretty self-contained.

At most I could see some new mode being added like bosh rush, roguelike, or randomizer, but even that is unlikely imo

I can't see Dread getting any meaningful post-launch support (besides a bug fix patch that really needs to drop soon), but I wouldn't say no to it.

Boss Rush is whatever to me, but you're all making me drool by bringing up a randomizer mode. It'll never, ever happen, but i'd be so down for it.

I don't think so. Would love a meaty story DLC(Maybe about the Chozo that went to that planet?). I remember someone(An insider) saying on twitter that the game was content complete and development moved on.

I can't see Dread getting any meaningful post-launch support (besides a bug fix patch that really needs to drop soon), but I wouldn't say no to it.

Boss Rush is whatever to me, but you're all making me drool by bringing up a randomizer mode. It'll never, ever happen, but i'd be so down for it.
I’ve always meant to ask - what are Metroid randomizers? Aren’t they like completely against the design philosophy? How do they not completely break the game?

Anyways, I wouldn’t bet on paid DLC. Maybe something like boss rush, fusion suit mode, something free upgrade tier to keep the game in mindshare.

I’ve always meant to ask - what are Metroid randomizers? Aren’t they like completely against the design philosophy? How do they not completely break the game?
Metroid randomizers, at least the most popular setting, randomly shuffles all of the items around (same locations, different items), so you need to check everything you can to find what you need. There’s some logic to the randomization though, unless it’s a particularly bad randomizer or you use certain messy settings it’ll give you a seed that can actually be beaten.

Zelda randomizers are also super fun too; they’ve been made for a bunch of games. There’s even an A Link to the Past + Super Metroid randomizer out there that shuffles the items between both games, and adds rooms that swap you between the two games.

Randomizers generally have a high skill ceiling though; you’ll need to be familiar with speedrun strats and exploits to make it through most of the time.

Metroid randomizers, at least the most popular setting, randomly shuffles all of the items around (same locations, different items), so you need to check everything you can to find what you need. There’s some logic to the randomization though, unless it’s a particularly bad randomizer or you use certain messy settings it’ll give you a seed that can actually be beaten.

Zelda randomizers are also super fun too; they’ve been made for a bunch of games. There’s even an A Link to the Past + Super Metroid randomizer out there that shuffles the items between both games, and adds rooms that swap you between the two games.

Randomizers generally have a high skill ceiling though; you’ll need to be familiar with speedrun strats and exploits to make it through most of the time.
Yeah I’ve never dug into it, the concept just seemed like such an oxymoron to me. Like I didn’t understand how you randomly shuffle the item locations around and it works

Throw me in the camp at best we’ll get a speedrun or boss rush mode of some sort. I don’t think we’ll get any updates though beyond any bug patches as the game feels very complete and that gap I think is there for the surprise of the real final map being in the sky.

I think the Prime formula, being a 3D game, allows for added areas and bosses much easier. Prime also always felt more slower paced.

Yeah I’ve never dug into it, the concept just seemed like such an oxymoron to me. Like I didn’t understand how you randomly shuffle the item locations around and it works
Both Metroid and Zelda have gates unlocked by items. Basically all of the random heart containers or missile upgrade spots could hold an item that lets you delve into new areas even though you skipped an item that’s on the normal path. You have to be really familiar with how the game works to know what areas and item spots you do have access to with what you have.

Say grabbing a hook shot lets you enter area 4 early, but you are missing the bombs from area 2. There’s still new items you can find in area 4 without the bombs even if you can’t complete the area without them because you still have that hookshot. You might find bombs in area 4, but you might also find the bow that gets you into area 7. So on and so forth.

I've only ever done Super Metroid randomizer runs myself, but it really is totally possible as long as you're familiar with the game. The most popular SM Randomizer has a ton of settings available that can make things easier or harder. If you're really stuck and give up, you can put your ROM into a solver that gives you a difficulty ranking of your seed and offers steps to find certain items or progress further.

As awesome as DLC would be, I’d rather they just move on ahead with the next 2D Metroid following the events after Dread before we have to wait another 20 years. Strike while the iron is hot, I say.

I, too, was perturbed by the empty chunk of the map. The only way I could really see a story DLC for this game working is if it were a prequel in a new area with Raven Beak setting up the events of the game.

It could potentially have DLC, but it wouldn't take the form of a new area on the map.

First of all, fully upgraded players who have beaten the game would go through a new area in about 30 minutes. Not enough to sell a DLC.

If they were to do something it would have to be a sidestory (playing as a chozo soldier in events before the game, for example) or modes such as boss rushes etc.

I very much doubt they'll do anything.

While a prequel dlc dealing with how the heck Raven Beak managed to contain the X in the first place could be possible, I don't think there's much reason to make that rather than start production on Metroid 6.

I can imagine an expansion with additional areas in the spot OP suggested. How would these areas look like? That would be a nice question.

Something I'd like to see is a "New Game+", where you restart the game with all the items and suit you had when finishing the game. I think it would be a nice way to let players experiment how they can "break" the game.

And how about NG+ with the metroid suit?

Free update with boss rush and the final suit unlockable after beatin the game as a celebration for the nice sales would be nice.

Dread doesn't need any traditional content DLC, like new areas or anything. But I'd fucking kill for a Randomizer mode, or some other side modes like a boss rush.

That just really wouldn't make sense with the structure of the game, but I'd love to see some speedrun supporting modes get added.

Back
Top Bottom