• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club "Mario, Zelda, and _________"

What is the third title that comes to mind when completing that sentence?

• Pokémon

Votes: 148 43.8%
  • Smash Bros.

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • Fire Emblem

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Kirby

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Pikmin

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • F-Zero

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Metroid

Votes: 114 33.7%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 22 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • (Added) Splatoon

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • (Added) Animal Crossing

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • (Added) Xenoblade (Chronicles)

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • (Added) Star Fox

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • (Added) EarthBound

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think it'd be a great thing for it to be formally axed from the canon altogether!
Perhaps in the HBO series adaptation, where they retcon a bunch of events!

(Just keep Anthony Higgs. He's a cool guy! Remember him?)
You're putting outsized emphasis on what a small group of people think. Meanwhile, Animal Crossing: Wild World did better than every Metroid game on GC/Wii/GBA/DS/3DS combined. Metroid is not a series that appeals to non-gamers, and it's not a pillar.
Like I said, for a time it was true, especially among most journalists. But times change, and the game that claims that spot seems to change with it.

Or I could be wrong and I'm just pulling stuff out of my ass.

Also, I wonder how it is in Japan people would phrase this. From what I understand, Zelda isn't as big as Splatoon over there.

So Mario, Zelda, and Splatoon?

Mario, Zelda and F-Zero
This is an opinion I can respect

Perhaps in the HBO series adaptation, where they retcon a bunch of events!

(Just keep Anthony Higgs. He's a cool guy! Remember him?)

Like I said, for a time it was true, especially among most journalists. But times change, and the game that claims that spot seems to change with it.

Also, I wonder how it is in Japan people would phrase this. From what I understand, Zelda isn't as big as Splatoon over there.

So Mario, Zelda, and Splatoon?
It was true for like a couple years when Metroid Prime 1 was a big deal, and then Metroid Prime 2 Echoes and Zero Mission underperformed really badly.

Checks results...Poor F-Zero...
I wish they would give F-Zero another chance. F-Zero SNES was the only time the series was on a system that sold really well.

As for the title... Mario, Zelda and Pokemon.

Sometimes my head will say Kirby as the third immediate association but I blame Smash Bros for that lol

When Nintendo keeps adding more Fire Emblem characters to Smash over adding anything Metroid, you have your answer on that front.

By the way, Three Houses and Three Hopes both rule. Hope that helps. Stay safe, drink water, and stay hydrated. Take care.

When Nintendo keeps adding more Fire Emblem characters to Smash over adding anything Metroid, you have your answer on that front.

By the way, Three Houses and Three Hopes both rule. Hope that helps. Stay safe, drink water, and stay hydrated. Take care.
I mean to be fair, Metroid's rep list is kind of perfect atm. Samus and Ridley was already the perfect selection. Dark Samus is a nice bonus. (Can't believe it took them this long to get Ridley and I'm really happy they figured him out.)
I just wish the stage roster for it was more varied lol

I wish they would give F-Zero another chance. F-Zero SNES was the only time the series was on a system that sold really well.

As for the title... Mario, Zelda and Pokemon.

Sometimes my head will say Kirby as the third immediate association but I blame Smash Bros for that lol
I think Kirby gets a lot of help from being an easy character to process and recognize.

I mean to be fair, Metroid's rep list is kind of perfect atm. Samus and Ridley was already the perfect selection. Dark Samus is a nice bonus.
Metroid is short a character

ShortRespectfulDassierat-max-1mb.gif

To be completely fair:
  • ExciteBike could also use another go
  • What about MachRider?
  • Or revive WaveRace and 1080 Snowboarding for that matter?

I do approve of them reviving very dormant Japan-only IPs like what they did with the Famicom Detective Club series.

I think Kirby gets a lot of help from being an easy character to process and recognize.
Yeah, true. Kirby is also easy to love.

To be completely fair:
  • ExciteBike could also use another go
  • What about MachRider?
  • Or revive WaveRace and 1080 Snowboarding for that matter?

I do approve of them reviving very dormant Japan-only IPs like what they did with the Famicom Detective Club series.
I agree. Like, I'm really down for more revivals in general.

I mean to be fair, Metroid's rep list is kind of perfect atm. Samus and Ridley was already the perfect selection. Dark Samus is a nice bonus.

I want Kraid playable!

maxresdefault.jpg

Look, he's barely any bigger than Samus!

No need to be sorry. I honestly believe Kirby deserves the spot, given there is a Kirby Cafe.
Kirby is also the third most iconic Nintendo franchise. I think it's also a matter of design. Mario is the classic Italian plumber, Link is the hot anime boy, and Kirby is the cute pink puffball. It also represents Nintendo's core audiences well. All ages with Mario, slightly more mature teen and adult audiences with Link, and kids to blisteringly hard for Kirby (I still can't beat the Robobot true arena)

I love Prime 3! I love Admiral Dane!

Appreciation for one of the coolest areas in Metroid:

I agree entirely! I've said it before and I'll say it again; Other M is a trash game for incels. Awful writing, awful gameplay. Irredeemable!
I'm glad you think so! I'm right there with you. This weirdly misogynistic game is not in alignment with my idea of Samus, my favorite character... it's just a pretty smelly piece of poo. Nintendo knows this game sucks, and I'm glad they seem to be completely ignoring it.

Kirby is also the third most iconic Nintendo franchise. I think it's also a matter of design. Mario is the classic Italian plumber, Link is the hot anime boy, and Kirby is the cute pink puffball. It also represents Nintendo's core audiences well. All ages with Mario, slightly more mature teen and adult audiences with Link, and kids to blisteringly hard for Kirby (I still can't beat the Robobot true arena)

Kirby Planet Robobot rules. Everything about it. One of the best games in years on any system.

I am also surprised how the Kirby anime lasted for 2 seasons. I recall Animal Crossing having an anime movie which was also good, around the same timeframe.

But the way they just market Kirby with comfy merch apparel, and even a cafe... It's just :chefskiss:

Kirby is a mood.

I love Prime 3! I love Admiral Dane!

Appreciation for one of the coolest areas in Metroid:

I'm glad you think so! I'm right there with you. This weirdly misogynistic game is not in alignment with my idea of Samus, my favorite character... it's just a pretty smelly piece of poo. Nintendo knows this game sucks, and I'm glad they seem to be completely ignoring it.

I hope Nintendo refurbishes Prime 2 and 3 for Switch. The first one is amazing! 😃

That's 'cuz Metroid lacks characters. Solitude is a core aspect of the series! Fire Emblem is the opposite.

That's 'cuz Metroid lacks characters. Solitude is a core aspect of the series! Fire Emblem is the opposite.

But I keep seeing new Metroid figures get announced. If the variants of Samus' designs can get new figures, surely we can get new Smash characters with the intricacies of the new Metroid games like Dread?

The only thing I want someone to take away from this discourse is I wish people would have more realistic conceptions about Metroid as an IP. There is a very low chance Prime 4 is gonna be some game changing title that launches the series into the stratosphere. You already had people disappointed that Dread “only” sold 3 million, which makes it the best selling game in the series.

Metroid is totally fine as a B-level series. To make it more mainstream they would probably have to change a lot of things fans like about it.

Also Metroid definitely doesn’t need any more Smash characters. Just tweak Dark Samus’s moveset overtime. Put in a Mother Brain boss fight though

The only thing I want someone to take away from this discourse is I wish people would have more realistic conceptions about Metroid as an IP. There is a very low chance Prime 4 is gonna be some game changing title that launches the series into the stratosphere. You already had people disappointed that Dread “only” sold 3 million, which makes it the best selling game in the series.

Metroid is totally fine as a B-level series. To make it more mainstream they would probably have to change a lot of things fans like about it.

Also Metroid definitely doesn’t need any more Smash characters. Just tweak Dark Samus’s moveset overtime. Put in a Mother Brain boss fight though
Unrelated but Dread is up there with Metroid titles. That game controls like a dream.

But I keep seeing new Metroid figures get announced. If the variants of Samus' designs can get new figures, surely we can get new Smash characters with the intricacies of the new Metroid games like Dread?
Which new figures? I collect merch for the series, but the only recent fig I've seen is that cheapo Walmart one, which is just Samus in her Varia Suit again. I'd love a Light or PED Suit one.

Raven Beak in Smash would be rad, but I think that ship has sadly sailed.

You are right mechanically. One last smash post, Nintendo and Sakurai shall never be forgiven for releasing the wrong Byleth amiibo.

Which new figures? I collect merch for the series, but the only recent fig I've seen is that cheapo Walmart one, which is just Samus in her Varia Suit again. I'd love a Light or PED Suit one.

Some of the gaming news sites post whenever figures get announced and I saw some nice Dread figure (Figma I think is the spelling).

4580590171206_1.jpg

Sadly the most common Samus Figma is the one of the terrible Other M Varia Suit. There's also Figmas of Zero Suit Samus (Other M again), and the (sadly very rare and expensive now) Prime 3 Varia Suit.

Some of the gaming news sites post whenever figures get announced and I saw some nice Dread figure (Figma I think is the spelling).
Samus herself has no shortage of cool suits, but she's only one woman, for god's sake. They can't just asset flip her different suits into whole new characters!

If we're lucky, the next Smash game will feature Raven Beak and Sylux (assuming they end up being a cool character). Anthony is too much of a Jim Bob, I'm afraid. Perhaps he'd have a chance, if Idris Elba played him in the HBO adaptation.

I think you sort of hit the nail on the head.

When I think about it, I believe most people want Metroid to be the third tentpole in Nintendo's line up, because it represents their more "Mature"-er franchises. As @Dusa mentions though, it isn't exactly appealing to non-gaming audiences to make the numbers.

I don't know if Other M was the attempt trying to appease both bases by its heavy reliance of cutscenes and forced pixel-hunting segments, but it is very clear that it ended up appeasing nobody. The misogynistic implications didn't help with it's case, either.

I'm not exactly sure how they would tackle making the Metroid franchise accessible to non-core audiences without losing its identity. My only uneducated guess would be spinoffs from the perspective of other characters, but even that could fail spectacularly (see Federation Force). It's definitely not for lack of trying, though.

It's a very interesting dillema. I want to say "Should Sakamoto team up with MAGES to make a gritty Metroid visual novel?" (Sakamoto is responsible for the Famicon Detective Club series, after all...) is what I want to suggest, but I would be gagged and hanged on the spot.

Last edited:
4580590171206_1.jpg

Sadly the most common Samus Figma is the one of the terrible Other M Varia Suit. There's also Figmas of Zero Suit Samus (Other M again), and the (sadly very rare and expensive now) Prime 3 Varia Suit.
Oh, I pre-ordered the Dread figma! It's lovely. I thought we were talking more recent than that.

I already own the Prime 3 one, and it's beautiful. No plans to acquire the uggo Other M Varia or Zero Suit. 🤣

Samus herself has no shortage of cool suits, but she's only one woman, for god's sake. They can't just asset flip her different suits into whole new characters!

If we're lucky, the next Smash game will feature Raven Beak and Sylux (assuming they end up being a cool character). Anthony is too much of a Jim Bob, I'm afraid. Perhaps he'd have a chance, if Idris Elba played him in the HBO adaptation.
You should watch the Idris Elba hot ones episode on YouTube! I think they can keep using her suits into new characters. You seem to like Yakuza games, so you can see how well that worked out, I'm currently playing Yakuza: Like a Dragon.
If you go by popularity then Zelda isn't even on there. The "Mario, Zelda, and Metroid" thing has always been about quality.
Zelda and Metroid have only 1-2 tops bad games. Mario has tons of mediocre releases. Famicom Detective Club has a more rock solid track record than Mario.

Oh, I pre-ordered the Dread figma! It's lovely. I thought we were talking more recent than that.

I already own the Prime 3 one, and it's beautiful. No plans to acquire the uggo Other M Varia or Zero Suit. 🤣

You're so lucky! I saw the Prime 3 one for 7000 yen a few years ago, and almost bought it. Now it's practically twice that, last I checked! I'm still kicking myself over it.

Zelda and Metroid have only 1-2 tops bad games. Mario has tons of mediocre releases. Famicom Detective Club has a more rock solid track record than Mario.

I interpret it as only including mainline Mario games, none of which I would call "bad." At worst you have mediocre games like Sunshine and NSMB. But you also have tons of all time greats in there that have defined this medium.

I interpret it as only including mainline Mario games, none of which I would call "bad." At worst you have mediocre games like Sunshine and NSMB. But you also have tons of all time greats in there that have defined this medium.

I don't think Sunshine was mediocre, but fair enough if you consider only mainline. NSMBU definitely was mediocre.

Trans rights, btw! 🏳️‍⚧️
You're so lucky! I saw the Prime 3 one for 7000 yen a few years ago, and almost bought it. Now it's practically twice that, last I checked! I'm still kicking myself over it.
Yeah, it really appreciated in value, to the point of being silly expensive. 🥲 It'd be cool if they reissued it! Hopefully that'll happen, closer to the release of Prime 4. I'm also waiting for a Samus Nendoroid, since they have ones of Mario, Luigi, Link, Kirby, etc. I trust the process! It'll happen eventually.

There was a Prime 3 figma?

Maybe my memory is hazy but I recall a Dark Samus figure.
Out of curiosity, where does this put Phantom Hourglass?

You seem to like Yakuza games, so you can see how well that worked out, I'm currently playing Yakuza: Like a Dragon.
I'm not playing another Yakuza game until they explain what happened to Yamanoi after 0. It's that simple.

Out of curiosity, where does this put Phantom Hourglass?
No issues with any of them barring Links Awakening remake (original is better) and Triforce heroes (failed implementation of a good idea).
I'm not playing another Yakuza game until they explain what happened to Yamanoi after 0. It's that simple.
You might have to ask this person. :)

images

It really is a shame Other M is so aggressively bad. I don't care about "the baby" and the story because I'm a gameplay first guy, but I know team ninja can do much better, and tbf, the game looks incredibly stylish. But the nonsensical "authorization" of upgrades and the shallow combat really ruined it.

Yes, and there was no Dark Samus figma. I'm not sure if there was any figure of her before the amiibo.

🏳️‍🌈 🏳️‍⚧️

Yes, and there was no Dark Samus figma. I'm not sure if there was any figure of her before the amiibo.

🏳️‍🌈 🏳️‍⚧️
Yeah I'm getting old. I might've recalled some Dark Samus figure one way or another, but it was probably not a figma.

You might have to ask this person. :)

images
And speaking of Yakuza...didn't the (former Yakuza) devs work on F-Zero GX?

The voice of Yamanoi.
He looks so young, yet he can convincingly play an elderly man.

Legend!

I'll never forget Yamanoi's kindness. He was a great mentor to Kiryu, and an amazing character. I just hope they bring him back for Yakuza 0-2...

Metroid. The 3 triforce of Nintendo. but now i think its Splatoon, Pikmin, or even Animal Crossing. New age of Nintendo beginning as we are witnessing recently.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom