• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Golf: Super Rush |ST| Give me a mulligan

Josh5890

Yoshi
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Mario_Golf_Super_Rush_NA_cover.png

Release Date: June 25th, 2021 (All regions)
MSRP: $59.99 USD/ £49.99 / €59.99 / ¥ 6,578 / $79.99 AUD / $83.99 CAD
Developer: Camelot Software Planning
Publisher: Nintendo
Players: 1 - 4
Online Multiplayer: Yes, subscription to Nintendo Switch Online Required.
Controls: Traditional button and motion controls
Controllers: Joycons and pro controller

OPENCRITIC SCORE: 71
METACRITIC SCORE: 70

Game Modes:

• Standard Gold: Every stroke counts and the lowest score wins in this classic game of golf with a Mario twist!
  • Speed Golf: Tee off at the same time with up to three other players* and race through the course to sink your ball first. Outpace and interrupt your opponents with dashes and Special Shots. Choose between High Score (highest number of points wins) or Best Time (fastest time wins).
  • Golf Adventure: Enroll your Mii™ character in golf training at a prestigious country club and go from rookie to pro!
  • Solo Challenge: Challenge yourself to improve your technique and set a new record.
  • Battle Golf: If you thought Speed Golf was wild, Battle Golf takes it to a whole other level! Crank up the chaos with obstacles like Chain Chomps, Thwomps, and more. All holes are open at the start, but once a player sinks a ball in it, the hole is closed. Race against opponents to be the first to win three flags.

Characters:

Starting Roster:
mario-golf-super-rush-nintendo-switch.original.jpg

Extra Characters:
197px-MGSR_Character_Personalities_-_Toadette.png
174px-MGSR_Character_Personalities_-_Ninji.png
174px-MGSR_Character_Personalities_-_Koopa_Troopa.png
190px-MGSR_Character_Personalities_-_Wiggler.png
180px-MGSR_Character_Personalities_-_Shy_Guy.png

Courses:

Rookie Course Bonnie Greens
rookie-course-large-up.jpg
bonny-greens-large-up.jpg

Ridgerock Lake Balmy Dunes
ridgerock-lake-large-up.jpg
balmy-dunes-large-up.jpg

Wildweather Woods Bowser Highlands
wildweather-woods-large-up.jpg
bowser-highlands-large-up.jpg

Super Golf Stadium*:
super-golf-stadium-medium-up.jpg
800px-MGSRSuperGolfStadium_Strategic.jpg

*Battle Golf only

Updates:

New Donk City Blustery Basin
new-donk-city-large-up.jpg
blustery-basin-large-up.jpg

Spiky Palms Shelltop Sanctuary
spiky-palms-large-up.jpg
1200px-MGSRShelltopSanctuary.jpg

All-Star Summit
1200px-MGSR_All-Star_Summit.png

Trailers:
Announcement:

Overview Trailer:

Bring on the Competition Trailer:

E3 Trailer:

E3 Treehouse:

Commercial:

Past Mario Golf Games:
1200px-Mario_Golf_64_box.png
800px-MGGBC_Cover.png
800px-Mario_Golf_Toadstool_Tour.jpg

145px-Mariogolfgba.jpg
1200px-Box_NA_-_Mario_Golf_World_Tour.jpg

Last edited:
The new maps have been fun so far, although I wish they'd make more wacky maps similar to New Donk City.

The new courses are brutal, if Supers weren’t turned off getting par would be impossible

The greens are the worst part of the new courses. It’s often not too bad getting to the green, but then putting is almost impossible because of the elevation changes.

The greens are the worst part of the new courses. It’s often not too bad getting to the green, but then putting is almost impossible because of the elevation changes.

The learning curve with the greens was tough. I'm still figuring out the new courses.

Of the two new courses, which course do we think is harder? Just from a couple of casual runs, Spiky Palms seems more difficult to me, although the trees on Blustery Basin are placed in seemingly the worst possible places.

Of the two new courses, which course do we think is harder? Just from a couple of casual runs, Spiky Palms seems more difficult to me, although the trees on Blustery Basin are placed in seemingly the worst possible places.
Welcome to real golf, expert courses are no joke

Welcome to real golf, expert courses are no joke
Weirdly, although the trees on Basin are in bad spots, it seems much easier to recover from than Palms. Even whacking a few trees I still got a -12 on my first attempt. While on Palms I only managed -3.

I've only tackled the new courses in limited doses via ranked battles, but so far I'd say Blustery Basin. The trees are pine trees, thus big and fat, as opposed to the tall and skinny palms of Spiky Palms.

still think its criminal this game's metacritic is so low. i know a lot of people that were turned away cause they heard it was mediocre and i've had to convince them its actually great. mario tennis ultra smash this is not

still think its criminal this game's metacritic is so low. i know a lot of people that were turned away cause they heard it was mediocre and i've had to convince them its actually great. mario tennis ultra smash this is not
Still can't believe they didn't include the option to play first to 3 set games. It also helps that with golf, you can get new courses. With tennis, they already had all the court types covered, so characters were the only thing they could add.

I didn’t even know there were monthly rewards now.
I take it it’s too late to get last months reward?
Yes, but you aren’t missing anything from last month really. It was a costume for Boo that gave him a visor. The reward for August was better - three Yoshi colors.

Alright, got my Toad colors unlocked, now to try out the full 18 holes from these two new courses.

Has anyone here unlocked the super Star clubs for every character? I’ve only got it for four characters.. the time commitment seems insane, even using my cheese strats to get exp as fast as possible

Has anyone here unlocked the super Star clubs for every character? I’ve only got it for four characters.. the time commitment seems insane, even using my cheese strats to get exp as fast as possible
King Bob-Omb only for me

First time playing all 18 of the new snow course; -1.
First time playing all 18 of the new desert course; -1.

Not bad!

Finally getting back into this after stopping after beating the Campaign mode at launch: The online is kinda addicting. I forgot how good the golf in this feels, but it's super sad to have mostly played CPUs online still in ranked mode :(

Hoping I'm just low enough in the curve late in the month that most people are playing at Rank A right now.

Managed to do a mini-marathon session to unlock the Toad costumes today! :)
Played against some tough opponents today who were higher ranked, but somehow fended them off and won against all of them! :O
Too bad it was the last match I needed to do, or it might have made the process go by more quickly. ha

FCGIC8SVIAktdyx

Super Monkey Ball and Dread tore me away from this game, I've got to get back to it.

Please let me change my story mode mii in the next patch camelot gods!! And integrate the new courses back into it while you're at it :)

This was the most disappointing Nintendo game I've bought in years, and I buy a lot. Really felt like it wasn't worth close to $60 - same as a lot of Nintendo's recent sports and party games.

I'm a huge golf gamer (and a huge golfer in real life) and this game just falls so far short of other golf games in every area - from previous Mario Golf games to the far superior Everybody's Golf games to even 2k21 (which is frankly genius).

Won't go into it all here - but the big culprits are the swing mechanic changes, course design, and running to the ball - but if someone is reading this and on the fence, seriously try the game before you buy.

This was the most disappointing Nintendo game I've bought in years, and I buy a lot. Really felt like it wasn't worth close to $60 - same as a lot of Nintendo's recent sports and party games.

I'm a huge golf gamer (and a huge golfer in real life) and this game just falls so far short of other golf games in every area - from previous Mario Golf games to the far superior Everybody's Golf games to even 2k21 (which is frankly genius).

Won't go into it all here - but the big culprits are the swing mechanic changes, course design, and running to the ball - but if someone is reading this and on the fence, seriously try the game before you buy.
Like, I get the new swing mechanics in the sense that you have to account for elevation, lie, etc. but I still would’ve loved a more advanced option that allows you to manually set the accuracy (tradition 3 click). I’ll still enjoy the game but…man it could’ve been much more. Dang, even shot replays, more variety in viewing angles when you hit your shot, etc would’ve been great. Feels like the entire game was designed around the speed rush aspect and I feel like they went all in on this mode ti the detriment of every other aspect of the experience.

I do hope we get a PGA Tour 2k23 in the spring (that’s a bit more polished, includes crowds, maybe even a 3 click system since EA is bringing that back with their golf game). But I halfway suspect 2K will leave Switch owners lacking.

I might have to give this another go, you guys seem to be enjoying it. It didn’t really entice me when I started, but maybe i just didn’t give it enough of a chance.

I do hope they add more courses like New Donk City though - the two they added in the latest update just feel a little too generic. They have the whole mushroom kingdom at their disposal - use it!

I think the story campaign mode is very poorly done. Like, one of the worst in recent memory bad for me.

Outside of that though, I think it's rather enjoyable, especially online. It does have that same issue like Aces had where it feels like it's going to take a years worth of free updates to get the game to where it probably should have been day one.

Spikey Palms and New Donk are really great tho.

I think the story campaign mode is very poorly done. Like, one of the worst in recent memory bad for me.

Outside of that though, I think it's rather enjoyable, especially online. It does have that same issue like Aces had where it feels like it's going to take a years worth of free updates to get the game to where it probably should have been day one.

Spikey Palms and New Donk are really great tho.

Yeah... it feels really incomplete and just poorly constructed, which is a shame because it has good components to it. I wish they were taking the chance to improve it with the updates.

Yeah... it feels really incomplete and just poorly constructed, which is a shame because it has good components to it. I wish they were taking the chance to improve it with the updates.
There is so much that is just introduced and then never revisited, even outside the campaign mode, that it makes me feel like it was a much grander ordeal originally, that got away from Camelot and was truncated significantly because Nintendo needed to get the game out on shelves in it's allotted late spring/early summer Mario spin-off release slot.

A shame really, there are sparks of something in there.

There is so much that is just introduced and then never revisited, even outside the campaign mode, that it makes me feel like it was a much grander ordeal originally, that got away from Camelot and was truncated significantly because Nintendo needed to get the game out on shelves in it's allotted late spring/early summer Mario spin-off release slot.

A shame really, there are sparks of something in there.

Yeah it's all very scattershot so far.... I'm curious what pace the DLC will continue at

Yeah it's all very scattershot so far.... I'm curious what pace the DLC will continue at
Yeah same. It may depend on how well the game continues to do. If it falls off a cliff I could see Nintendo cutting it short. But I imagine the plan was probably a years worth of updates, which I think is what Aces had.

November’s Ranked reward are three Koopa Troopa colors.

I haven’t played the game since October 1st. I’ll load up Mario Golf and unlock the Koopa colors, then probably put it down again till December lol

November’s Ranked reward are three Koopa Troopa colors.

I haven’t played the game since October 1st. I’ll load up Mario Golf and unlock the Koopa colors, then probably put it down again till December lol
Till thanksgiving for me

Got a jump start with the November Koopa Troopa numbers last night. Now I'm working on building Wario's stats up.

I need to grind more star clubs, all I got are King Bob’s. Getting close on ninji

I have Mario, Yoshi, Luigi, and I think Koopa Troopa.

I play most nights for 30 minutes or so. It adds up fast :)

God the Koopa colors this morning, still kinda bummed with myself for missing the Yoshi and Boo ones, but oh well. Definitely glad I bought this still, it feels so good.

I've finished the One-On, One-Putt challenge for every course (the two New Donk City and the three Shelltop Sanctuary ones), and they are really fun to go through, especially because this version of that challenge have 10 continues rather than no continues as is the case in the other versions.

The easiest of the challenges is undoubtedly the Amateur New Donk City one, thanks to how most of the green areas are flat, so it's easier to score the putts. The most difficult one is basically the Pro New Donk City one, mainly because the courses require knowledge on how to navigate the ball around the buildings. And finally, the most fun one is the Special Shelltop Sanctuary one, because of the different clubs that are needed to be used that non-Mii characters never got to normally use.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Looks like nobody has posted it yet, but December 2021's reward is:
FFfI9MxVgAYCtJz

Would've loved to have more alternate characters, but I'll take what I can get.

Thank you for reading.

Looks like nobody has posted it yet, but December 2021's reward is:
FFfI9MxVgAYCtJz

Would've loved to have more alternate characters, but I'll take what I can get.

Thank you for reading.
Wish they’d thrown in Luigi’s and maybe peach for a full set of 3

Wish they’d thrown in Luigi’s and maybe peach for a full set of 3
Luigi, I can see, but I can't really see Peach getting it since the human ladies do not have alternate costumes before, not even in Tennis Aces. Toadette, maybe.

Thank you for reading.

I’ve got some Eshop credit and haven’t yet gotten Mario Golf - it seemed light on content at release.

If I’m playing single player only, and loved the N64/GC/3DS games, is this one worth the 60 bucks?

I know some stuff was added post launch but I’d like to hear some thoughts on it as it is now before dropping that much on it..

Back
Top Bottom