• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

LTTP LTTP: Octopath Traveler 2. Huh. (UPDATE: This is one of the best games ever made)

(Late to the party)
"If you love RPGs, play this game. It does not matter if the first game burned you (no matter what, you probably don't hate it as much as I do), this game is different, it's actually great, this will give you what you were looking for from the first game"

Oh no! Again! There it is again! Another Octopath Traveler 2 is so great thread! Please stop saying that, otherwise I will have to buy and play this game :D
(I'm one of those 'I finished OT1 but it didn't really click with me and the demo of OT2 felt way too similar' )

Bumping this since a lot of people have been picking this up recently after the multiplatform releases (and also because I have been discussing it with some friends who have been playing and liking it of late); and because loving Octopath 2 is half my personality on Famiboards at this point.

Are there any new players for this? How are ya'all finding it?

I'm playing!

And loving it. It's really, really, really good. Been a while since I properly settled into a session (haven't been in an RPG mood for a while) but I'm clocking in at 8 or so hours and just got beat by Agnea's Ch. 2 boss. I initially was pretty turned away by how spongy the bosses are, and Agnea's Ch. 1 boss became my first real hurdle. So I slammed my head against that wall for a while, but then the battle system finally clicked and I started to wrap my head around how to use breaks and how to stack up BP's. I was at first playing it more like Persona than Bravely Default, and it's the latter that this reminds me of.

But yeah, fantastic game. The stories are super intriguing and I like how they are set up so that you are traveling the world and have these stopping points where you both meet new travelers and continue other tales. It's all executed very smartly in a way that feels organic, so that when you arrive at one place, you both continue one character's journey but also get to meet a new one and hear them out, so to say. And I can't begin to describe how amazingly fucking jaw-dropping this game is on a visual level. It's a pure treat to just let your eyes rest on this marvel for a while.

So far my top 5 characters are:

1. Castii
2. Throné
3. Hikari
4. Agnea
5. Partitio

Haven't done the Ch. 1's of Osvald, Partitio and the scholar guy yet. But though I haven't played his chapter, Partitio has still won me over, he's such a charming guy.

But Castii's and Throné's stories have been my main pulls so far, and though I enjoy all of the cast, their stories are those that has engaged and intrigued me the most. I can't wait to play enough so that I can uncover the cliffhanger that Castii's chapter 1 ended on.

It took me several tries and adjusting my party comp to finally beat that one optional kraken boss who eventually instakills you if you take too long. When I finally beat it, the dude literally respawned as a RANDOM ENCOUNTER. I just turned my Switch off. 🫠

I havent played a game that trolled me that hard in awhile. 10/10 game for sure. It was the first non-Mario turn-based RPG game I finished in literal years.

It took me several tries and adjusting my party comp to finally beat that one optional kraken boss who eventually instakills you if you take too long. When I finally beat it, the dude literally respawned as a RANDOM ENCOUNTER. I just turned my Switch off. 🫠

I havent played a game that trolled me that hard in awhile. 10/10 game for sure. It was the first non-Mario turn-based RPG game I finished in literal years.
LMAO. The worst luck. I will say. You can just fast travel at any point so it was bad luck but it was avoidable :p

That boss is so fun though. The Calamities. Plus you get one of the best items in that dungeon. The Giants Club.

Hilariously, every dungeon with an optional boss has the boss respawn as an encounter after the first time you beat the boss. The two sea bosses just happen to have "the entire ocean" as their spawn zone. Of course you can just flip between day and night if you have only beaten one or the other to avoid them. :ROFLMAO:

Slightly off topic, but I loved Octopath Traveler 2 and so decided to give Octopath 1 a fair shake when it reappeared on Game Pass.

OT1 feels very much like a proof of concept or prototype for OT2, in the same way Assassin's Creed 1 was for AC2 (or maybe Uncharted 1 for Uncharted 2). The mechanics and world/location design are simple(r), the characters/plots are weak, the structure is much more repetitive, and there are so many QoL features missing (not least the fast battle speed of OT2).

Even so, the music is pretty good and the other aspects are competent, so I'll keep going for a bit longer. But if I had played OT1 first, I think I would have lost all interest in the series.
Yeah, Octopath 1 was more of a proof of concept, in hindsight. Even so, as you noted it holds up well in terms of the presentation aspects such as the soundtrack which is great (the one area where I would say the first game approaches the quality of the second), and the HD2D art style obviously getting its start here. But that aside, I do not think the first game was that good, and I honestly feel like that in a lot of ways hindered the success the second game could and should have gotten.
I'm playing!

And loving it. It's really, really, really good. Been a while since I properly settled into a session (haven't been in an RPG mood for a while) but I'm clocking in at 8 or so hours and just got beat by Agnea's Ch. 2 boss. I initially was pretty turned away by how spongy the bosses are, and Agnea's Ch. 1 boss became my first real hurdle. So I slammed my head against that wall for a while, but then the battle system finally clicked and I started to wrap my head around how to use breaks and how to stack up BP's. I was at first playing it more like Persona than Bravely Default, and it's the latter that this reminds me of.

But yeah, fantastic game. The stories are super intriguing and I like how they are set up so that you are traveling the world and have these stopping points where you both meet new travelers and continue other tales. It's all executed very smartly in a way that feels organic, so that when you arrive at one place, you both continue one character's journey but also get to meet a new one and hear them out, so to say. And I can't begin to describe how amazingly fucking jaw-dropping this game is on a visual level. It's a pure treat to just let your eyes rest on this marvel for a while.

So far my top 5 characters are:

1. Castii
2. Throné
3. Hikari
4. Agnea
5. Partitio

Haven't done the Ch. 1's of Osvald, Partitio and the scholar guy yet. But though I haven't played his chapter, Partitio has still won me over, he's such a charming guy.

But Castii's and Throné's stories have been my main pulls so far, and though I enjoy all of the cast, their stories are those that has engaged and intrigued me the most. I can't wait to play enough so that I can uncover the cliffhanger that Castii's chapter 1 ended on.
That is so awesome, I am so excited you are playing this! You are absolutely right about how pretty the game is, they have really perfected their HD2D aesthetic at this point. My brother played this on PS5 and sent me screenshots and the game is jaw dropping.

I am especially happy you are on board the Castti train. She is such a great character. Great to see Partitio already on there, I am sure he will only continue to climb up lol.

And yeah, the battle system was definitely an adjustment for me the first time too because like you said, it's hard not to treat it like Persona with the similarities they have. But it's its own thing, and it is very good at it.

I hope you keep sharing your impressions as you play!

"If you love RPGs, play this game. It does not matter if the first game burned you (no matter what, you probably don't hate it as much as I do), this game is different, it's actually great, this will give you what you were looking for from the first game"

Oh no! Again! There it is again! Another Octopath Traveler 2 is so great thread! Please stop saying that, otherwise I will have to buy and play this game :D
(I'm one of those 'I finished OT1 but it didn't really click with me and the demo of OT2 felt way too similar' )
Do it! I was one of those people too, but this game is just such an improvement!

Yeah, Octopath 1 was more of a proof of concept, in hindsight. Even so, as you noted it holds up well in terms of the presentation aspects such as the soundtrack which is great (the one area where I would say the first game approaches the quality of the second), and the HD2D art style obviously getting its start here. But that aside, I do not think the first game was that good, and I honestly feel like that in a lot of ways hindered the success the second game could and should have gotten.

That is so awesome, I am so excited you are playing this! You are absolutely right about how pretty the game is, they have really perfected their HD2D aesthetic at this point. My brother played this on PS5 and sent me screenshots and the game is jaw dropping.

I am especially happy you are on board the Castti train. She is such a great character. Great to see Partitio already on there, I am sure he will only continue to climb up lol.

And yeah, the battle system was definitely an adjustment for me the first time too because like you said, it's hard not to treat it like Persona with the similarities they have. But it's its own thing, and it is very good at it.

I hope you keep sharing your impressions as you play!

Do it! I was one of those people too, but this game is just such an improvement!
Castii is my favourite RPG character this gen. Absolutely love her story, and Partitio isn’t far behind. The whole game is great, one of my all-time favourite rpgs now.

Back
Top Bottom