• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

LTTP LTTP: Octopath Traveler 2. Huh. (UPDATE: This is one of the best games ever made)

(Late to the party)
I just want to mention that you made my buy the game with this thread, OP.
I still need to play through the first one (only played the demo when they asked for feedback many years ago), but I got a great deal so I didn’t hesitate much!

I recently finished all the stories and the Final Chapter. All that's left for me to do is finish the sidequests and find the secret boss somehow, hopefully I won't need a guide.
This is by far the second best game I played this year, only TOTK was more fun.
I can't get enough of this art style and gameplay... Octopath Traveler 3 when?

I just want to mention that you made my buy the game with this thread, OP.
I still need to play through the first one (only played the demo when they asked for feedback many years ago), but I got a great deal so I didn’t hesitate much!
You're in for a treat!

I would honestly recommend playing this one straight up, the first one is a significantly more flawed game in most ways, and the story connections between the two games are none to minimal

I'm still not sure if there's a best way to play the Octopath games with regard to character switching. I tried rotating between all the characters at first and that killed the story pacing, and when I later l stuck to a fixed party through their respective endings I resented having to "start over" with the other four.

Anyhow, I finished the true boss fight and went through the epilogue today, so I'm done. Just in time for Sea of Stars!

(And I'm actually glad I picked Partitio as my starter so he could be party "leader" for the finale.)

I'm still not sure if there's a best way to play the Octopath games with regard to character switching. I tried rotating between all the characters at first and that killed the story pacing, and when I later l stuck to a fixed party through their respective endings I resented having to "start over" with the other four.

Anyhow, I finished the true boss fight and went through the epilogue today, so I'm done. Just in time for Sea of Stars!

(And I'm actually glad I picked Partitio as my starter so he could be party "leader" for the finale.)
I kept an even and rotating party in this game; most characters were within 1-2 levels of one another. The obvious exception was Throné (who was my starter), and Agnea, whom… well, I love Agnea but she’s kinda useless in battle compared to the others lol

Finished Ochette's story too! Very great final boss fight the owl for me and a lovely conclusion to her story.

This game is 3/3 for amazing endings so far.

Finished Ochette's story too! Very great final boss fight the owl for me and a lovely conclusion to her story.

This game is 3/3 for amazing endings so far.
I still maintain what I said six months ago, that Octopath II will eventually have really good word of mouth for engaging scenarios across its run time as more people play it. It reminds me of discovering various PSOne rpgs 15-odd years after they released and going ‘huh, so that’s why people loved Suikoden II’ etc :D

Castii’s story still ranks as one of my favourites in rpgs. Told in a handful of chapters (like all of Octopath’s) but packed full of stuff. Emotional highs and lows, heartbreaking loss and triumph and a vision of what could have been. So many RPG characters have ‘I
lost my entire community’ as their backstory, but you get to see Castii’s fall out of the bravery of every single minor NPC as healers, all of them personally recruited and trained by her, and they ensure she survives out of both love and the final acceptance that she’s the best chance to stop the villain

If you appreciated Castti's mixing of gameplay and narrative during her final chapter let me tell you, without spoiling anything, that you're in for even more of that!

Completed Osvald. At this point I’ve more or less decided my core four party, and I was able to go into this battle with all four. All four of them have all the passives and skills I want unlocked, and the highest quality gear possible. I was so absurdly OP that fight ended really quickly lol.

It was also the most straightforward of the bosses so far though I guess it does have a shorter fight right before it first which you can’t heal from before heading into this last battle, I guess maybe that’s the intended gimmick

Of the four endings I’ve done so far, this one was my least favorite, but I still did like it a fair bit.

Edit: looking up videos of this fight, it is not at all straightforward and I just avoided the onslaught because I kept breaking him before he could finish charging up. Lol

Last edited:
Damn that OP is selling me hard on Octopath 2. I mean, I was already going to get it, but it makes me want to prioritize it above all else.
Forget those other games. Get Octopath 2. Do it for Danny Devito.

Completed Osvald. Of the four endings I’ve done so far, this one was my least favorite, but I still did like it a fair bit.
Osvald has such a strong beginning, maybe the strongest of the 8. I agree that the ending is comparatively a little weak. As a pretty straightforward revenge story, it makes sense that it loses a little momentum as it gets closer to the finish line.

I think Temenos and Partitio are the two that have stuck with me as my favorite stories from start to finish.

Beat the true final boss last night, still need to watch the ending credit scenes but overall I really enjoyed OT2.

No I haven't done the super boss and I probably won't bother. I'm ready to move onto something else.

Osvald has such a strong beginning, maybe the strongest of the 8. I agree that the ending is comparatively a little weak. As a pretty straightforward revenge story, it makes sense that it loses a little momentum as it gets closer to the finish line.

I think Temenos and Partitio are the two that have stuck with me as my favorite stories from start to finish.
Osvald is like the inverse of Castti; he starts out with a very cool and subversive premise, that then more and more plays out exactly as expected. It's still a good story because it's fundamentally a good narrative with great characters, and it is told very well, but what you see on the tin is what you get.

Castti is the one that blindsides you by taking the most tired premise and then going fucking nuts with it.

So far, of the four I have completed, I would say Castti>Throne>Ochette>Osvald.

I still maintain what I said six months ago, that Octopath II will eventually have really good word of mouth for engaging scenarios across its run time as more people play it. It reminds me of discovering various PSOne rpgs 15-odd years after they released and going ‘huh, so that’s why people loved Suikoden II’ etc :D

Castii’s story still ranks as one of my favourites in rpgs. Told in a handful of chapters (like all of Octopath’s) but packed full of stuff. Emotional highs and lows, heartbreaking loss and triumph and a vision of what could have been. So many RPG characters have ‘I
lost my entire community’ as their backstory, but you get to see Castii’s fall out of the bravery of every single minor NPC as healers, all of them personally recruited and trained by her, and they ensure she survives out of both love and the final acceptance that she’s the best chance to stop the villain

@PixelKnight Sorry, I thought I replied to this yesterday, but apparently I never did lol

Anyway, i just wanted to say, this is 100% where I am with Castti. It's one of my favorite stories in a JRPG, because it takes some very well trodden tropes ("oh, she has amnesia" "oh she is the mom of her group" ) but then uses them to tell an incredible story, and tell it in an incredible way. I love the non linearity in the storytelling, I love the twist, I love the Christopher Nolan/Memento style shenanigans that it gets up to. But I think really the reason I love Castti's story comes down to something you touch upon in your post - the story is about seeing the best in people, and having faith in them to come through. It is also about having faith in yourself, and being able to see the good in yourself. As long as you do that, others notice, and they will come through. That's what ends up happening at the end of Castti's story, where she is essentially a lone woman ranting about a potential terrorist threat on the eve of a high profile public event, and ends up beoing taken at her word for it because everyone has faith in her, they have seen her be her best through the whole story, and now want to return that favor

For a lot of reasons coming down to my brain being where it is right now, this specific theme just resonates extremely strongly with me.

Last edited:
In terms of story, Castti’s is tops for sure. Hikari’s is solid, though very traditional. Partitio’s is ridiculous, but pretty heartwarming if you can roll with it. Agnea’s is sort of like Partitio’s, but fundamentally lower stakes and less interesting.

The other four I wasn’t too fond of. Throne’s starts off strong but gets dumb real quick. Osvald and Ochette’s are bland. Temenos’s is actually decent, but I found the character’s personality/VA to be incredibly annoying.

In terms of story, Castti’s is tops for sure. Hikari’s is solid, though very traditional. Partitio’s is ridiculous, but pretty heartwarming if you can roll with it. Agnea’s is sort of like Partitio’s, but fundamentally lower stakes and less interesting.

The other four I wasn’t too fond of. Throne’s starts off strong but gets dumb real quick. Osvald and Ochette’s are bland. Temenos’s is actually decent, but I found the character’s personality/VA to be incredibly annoying.
Partitio's story is so fucking stupid on every level lol.

But I love it because the character just has so much magnetic charisma to him.

I actually really like Agnea's story for a lot of the same reasons I like Castti's - it's a very small scale and personal and intimate story, and I appreciate a JRPG actually attempting something like that (and doing it well!), but I get that it feels more trite compared to the others.

As of yesterday I’ve beaten Partitio and am on my way to finishing Agnea’s story as well.

Really liked Partitio’s story. It’s fucking stupid but he’s a great character and I’m willing to buy in lol.

Osvald's story definitely starts strong, and it goes pretty dark in Chapter 3, too, but I honestly was wondering for a while if they'd go REALLY dark with it:

I had a thought in the back of my head for a while if maybe, somehow, Osvald actually DID kill his family. Like, maybe it was an accident or something but still his fault that he started the fire, and he basically created Harvey in his mind to cope with the tragedy and place the blame somewhere else. Or maybe Harvey was a real person, an old rival of Osvald's, but like... he's dead now, so Osvald created the idea that he was responsible while in prison. I was waiting for some kind of big twist like when you go to find Harvey at the college, you find out that Harvey is actually already dead, or he didn't do it and you did, or something crazy like that.

Instead, they play it a bit more straight, which still worked fine but IMO didn't quite live up to the strong beginning.

Agnea’s story is done.

I love the ending, it’s so sweet and wholesome and positive. Hits a lot of the same notes that Castti’s ending did thematically, though of course not that strongly.

That means OCTOPA are done. TH are left (Temenos being the T). I’ll try and get it done this weekend.

I have 70 hours in this game and I don't want it to end, it keeps getting better and better and better.

We live in a harsh reality where this game got overlooked to the extent it did.
Yup…. Gaming media can be horrible sometimes. And Square wasn’t 100% on board. They decided to focus on FF16… eternal shame…

Temenos done.

Much like Oswald, reasonably straightforward end. I definitely prefer either the warmer/more human endings like Castti/Agnea/Partitio, or the WTF just happened endings like Throne

OCTOPAT done! Just Hikari left. Let's try and get this done today!

Yup…. Gaming media can be horrible sometimes. And Square wasn’t 100% on board. They decided to focus on FF16… eternal shame…
The good thing is, my disappointment with FF16 is what made me decide to try out OT2 lol. So in a way? Thanks Square!

Honestly just for the music alone this is probably my favorite boss fight in the game lol

Not having Song of Hope stuck in your head after Agnea's final chapter is impossible honestly. That ending battle definitely left an impression on people, turning many who were cold on her into fans of the character.

Personally I enjoyed her story throughout. A change of pace is always needed, and her final chapter really feels like a culmination of her entire story, both literally and figuratively. It really hammers home the positive wave of change that her personality represents. It's just magnificently grandiose and heartwarming, no matter how naive it might be. Arguably just like Partitio's.
Temenos done.

Much like Oswald, reasonably straightforward end. I definitely prefer either the warmer/more human endings like Castti/Agnea/Partitio, or the WTF just happened endings like Throne

OCTOPAT done! Just Hikari left. Let's try and get this done today!

The good thing is, my disappointment with FF16 is what made me decide to try out OT2 lol. So in a way? Thanks Square!
Temenos's final chapter is interesting in that it centers around the antagonist much more than it does around our cocky cleric, obviously with folks being down on it for that exact reason. It is straightforward, but I'd say it, also, features a very much human ending, given how its structured around Kaldena and her people's tragedy.

Savor the rest of this disgustingly great JRPG masterpiece because you're reaching the end. No rush! That said you definitely have the epilogue to enjoy as well, AND the post-game stories if you feel like doing them. Have you played any of the crossed path chapters yet?

Not having Song of Hope stuck in your head after Agnea's final chapter is impossible honestly. That ending battle definitely left an impression on people, turning many who were cold on her into fans of the character.

Personally I enjoyed her story throughout. A change of pace is always needed, and her final chapter really feels like a culmination of her entire story, both literally and figuratively. It really hammers home the positive wave of change that her personality represents. It's just magnificently grandiose and heartwarming, no matter how naive it might be. Arguably just like Partitio's.

Temenos's final chapter is interesting in that it centers around the antagonist much more than it does around our cocky cleric, obviously with folks being down on it for that exact reason. It is straightforward, but I'd say it, also, features a very much human ending, given how its structured around Kaldena and her people's tragedy.

Savor the rest of this disgustingly great JRPG masterpiece because you're reaching the end. No rush! That said you definitely have the epilogue to enjoy as well, AND the post-game stories if you feel like doing them. Have you played any of the crossed path chapters yet?
Oh yes, I have been saying I love Agnea's story since the beginning! I like how her (and Castti's for most of it) are so small scale and intimate, and how they are about human nature and finding the best in each other.

I have now finished all eight! I will definitely do a lot of the post game content, but for now, what a marvellous JRPG this was. Amazing game, I am very happy I hated FF16 and decided to buy this to scratch the itch instead.

I haven't read this thread, and I'm not going to until I play the game myself to avoid spoilers, but seeing the title be updated to "this is one of the best games ever made" has me really questioning if I can wait until after the US Open before I start playing it. 😧

Honestly just for the music alone this is probably my favorite boss fight in the game lol

YESSSSS you finally got there, been waiting for it. This is, I'm pretty sure, my favorite music track of the entire year and I don't think it'll be beat. It's incredible, and the moment it plays is amazing, too. The last few battles and ending really redeemed Agnea's arc for me, even if it overall still isn't my favorite by any means.

I have now finished all eight! I will definitely do a lot of the post game content, but for now, what a marvellous JRPG this was. Amazing game, I am very happy I hated FF16 and decided to buy this to scratch the itch instead.

The best is yet to come.

I'm maybe 40% done with the game. I was in a good groove until xb3 dlc story came out, which I started playing a week after it came out. Then sometime after Totk came out, I started playing Totk (which I haven't even beaten yet). I don't do multitasking games well. So I vow to go back to OT2 and beat it as soon as I beat Totk. Hoping I can beat both games by eoty.

I've only beaten one character's story (Ochette) and three of them I got to chapter 4. And the other 4, only chapter 2.

Considering that raving about this game has been my main personality trait in this forum for the past 6 months, the evolution of this thread has been quite satisfying to say the least.

One heck of an update with that thread title

Definitely interested in this game but with my RPG backlog as big as it is I think I need to wait for this to hit $25ish

As someone that found the stories of the first one fine, but kinda struggles to remember them, found the demo of OT2 to wordy (the thing that kept me from TS), likes time travel stories and just bought but could not really get into the first 2 chapters of 13 Sentinels (i know, different type of game/genre),

do people here have an opinion on which has the more compelling plot/stories?

OT1 is one of my favorite switch games, and for 3 years i really really wanted OT2.
The trailer did not quite sell me on it, seemed to close to OT1 in better but samey and with more text.
(and it came out in a time when i had 0 patience for JRPGs earlier this year)

I know i will play it soner or later, but at the moment im more into a segmented story experience since im starting a new job and will only play maybe half an hour in the evening before sleep.

Oh yes, I have been saying I love Agnea's story since the beginning! I like how her (and Castti's for most of it) are so small scale and intimate, and how they are about human nature and finding the best in each other.

You are not in the post game yet there is a final story after you finish the other 8 and all 4 cross path stories

Speaking of that spoiler, it actually improved my thoughts on (BIG spoilers don't click if you've not completed the first spoiler tag) Partitio's story when I learned that Ori was actually one of the evil cultist who despite manipulating stuff, ended up being saved by Partitio's good and and honest nature

After the big disappointment that was OT1 (Grinding the game) I will probably never test OT2, unless it's price go down in the single digit area.

YESSSSS you finally got there, been waiting for it. This is, I'm pretty sure, my favorite music track of the entire year and I don't think it'll be beat. It's incredible, and the moment it plays is amazing, too. The last few battles and ending really redeemed Agnea's arc for me, even if it overall still isn't my favorite by any means.
I've been on board with Agnea all along, but that ending was something really special!
Considering that raving about this game has been my main personality trait in this forum for the past 6 months, the evolution of this thread has been quite satisfying to say the least.
Haha, yes, I have to admit, the OT2 fans were right all along
One heck of an update with that thread title

Definitely interested in this game but with my RPG backlog as big as it is I think I need to wait for this to hit $25ish
Definitely, just get to it some time, it's so good!
As someone that found the stories of the first one fine, but kinda struggles to remember them, found the demo of OT2 to wordy (the thing that kept me from TS), likes time travel stories and just bought but could not really get into the first 2 chapters of 13 Sentinels (i know, different type of game/genre),

do people here have an opinion on which has the more compelling plot/stories?

OT1 is one of my favorite switch games, and for 3 years i really really wanted OT2.
The trailer did not quite sell me on it, seemed to close to OT1 in better but samey and with more text.
(and it came out in a time when i had 0 patience for JRPGs earlier this year)

I know i will play it soner or later, but at the moment im more into a segmented story experience since im starting a new job and will only play maybe half an hour in the evening before sleep.
Across the board, I think OT2 is superior to the original, this includes the stories and characters as well

@BassForever not quoting your post because I don't want to see the spoiler yet haha, but yes, I plan on sticking with it for a while and wrapping up the remaining activities over the coming weeks and months

Okay, now... this is my ranking for all the characters on multiple facets, I love them all though, it's an amazing cast(ti) all around, but here is how I rank them:

STORY
1. Castti
2. Throne
3. Partitio
4. Hikari
5. Agnea
6. Ochette
7. Osvald
8. Temenos

CHARCTERIZATION
1. Castti
2. Partitio
3. Agnea
4. Temenos
5. Ochette
6. Throne
7. Hikari
8. Osvald

MUSIC
1. Agnea
2. Partitio
3. Ochette
4. Throne
5. Temenos
6. Osvald
7. Castti
8. Hikari

DESIGN
1. Throne
2. Partitio
3. Ochette
4. Osvald
5. Agnea
6. Castti
7. Hikari
8. Temenos

GAMEPLAY
1. Castti
2. Partitio
3. Throne
4. Hikari
5. Ochette
6. Osvald
7. Temenos
8. Agnea

FINAL BOSS
1. Agnea
2. Castti
3. Partitio
4. Hikari
5. Throne
6. Ochette
7. Temenos
8. Osvald

OVERALL
1. Castti
2. Partitio
3. Agnea
4. Throne
5. Hikari
6. Ochette
7. Temenos
8. Osvald

Okay, now... this is my ranking for all the characters on multiple facets, I love them all though, it's an amazing cast(ti) all around, but here is how I rank them:

STORY
1. Castti
2. Throne
3. Partitio
4. Hikari
5. Agnea
6. Ochette
7. Osvald
8. Temenos

CHARCTERIZATION
1. Castti
2. Partitio
3. Agnea
4. Temenos
5. Ochette
6. Throne
7. Hikari
8. Osvald

MUSIC
1. Agnea
2. Partitio
3. Ochette
4. Throne
5. Temenos
6. Osvald
7. Castti
8. Hikari

DESIGN
1. Throne
2. Partitio
3. Ochette
4. Osvald
5. Agnea
6. Castti
7. Hikari
8. Temenos

GAMEPLAY
1. Castti
2. Partitio
3. Throne
4. Hikari
5. Ochette
6. Osvald
7. Temenos
8. Agnea

FINAL BOSS
1. Agnea
2. Castti
3. Partitio
4. Hikari
5. Throne
6. Ochette
7. Temenos
8. Osvald

OVERALL
1. Castti
2. Partitio
3. Agnea
4. Throne
5. Hikari
6. Ochette
7. Temenos
8. Osvald
Right on! Some interesting rankings here, surprised to see Osvald and Temenos so low (I loved Temenos' story, it was top 3 for me). And by gameplay do you mean combat? Because for me, it was basically Osvald = Hikari >>>>>>> everyone else, lol. They were pretty much unstoppable gods of destruction while everyone else just sort of played support. Well, actually, Ochette is right up there as well but I found her beast summons to fall off a bit when you get close to the endgame, but for a while she's very very good as well.

Throne was HoH's starter, so I think they may be a bit biased towards her. As someone who got her relatively late, I'd rate her far lower across the board, but otherwise am largely in agreement with the placement of the rest of the cast.

Many characters can be extremely powerful. Partitio can wipe out mobs with fully boosted catapults immediately at the start of each battle (very early in the game) and later on can hire multihit 9999 assassins every turn (as well as make the entire party invincible to physical damage with sidestep + arcanist). Castti can give everyone infinite BP plus other bonuses via concocting (also from very early). Ochette can glitch-provoke multiple "once per battle" monsters each round (subject to BP). Scholar Temenos can blow through 10 shields with his latent and elemental barrage (and Prayer for Plenty with a diffusion boost from another character can boost everyone's HP to 9000+). Some of Hikari's learned skills like Sentencing Gavel are extremely damaging as well, and his base divine/latent damage is outstanding. And so on.

Last edited:
Right on! Some interesting rankings here, surprised to see Osvald and Temenos so low (I loved Temenos' story, it was top 3 for me). And by gameplay do you mean combat? Because for me, it was basically Osvald = Hikari >>>>>>> everyone else, lol. They were pretty much unstoppable gods of destruction while everyone else just sort of played support. Well, actually, Ochette is right up there as well but I found her beast summons to fall off a bit when you get close to the endgame, but for a while she's very very good as well.
Yeah, when I say gameplay, I mean how they work in combat. Castti and Partitio are just... broken. By the end, Castti had the most HP, the highest attack, the highest defence, started with an extra BP at the start of each battle, was capable of keeping everyone topped up to full SP, HP, and BP without wasting any materials at all, had an ability that would keep her at 1HP instead in case she got a fatal hit, and had an ability where she would auto revive if somehow in spite of all of that she did get knocked out. She was proficient with axes, swords, and daggers, debuffed enemies when she was hit thanks to Ensnare, and used that plus Poison Axe + Drastic Measures to debilitating degrees, like a single hit from Castti would do 25,000+ damage. It was nuts.

Partitio was always charged up with his latent powers at the start, had similarly high HP and defence to Castti (not the attack stats though), also had the extra BP at the start of the battle, as well as the 1HP survival, and the revival if he did get knocked out. I gave him the inventor job, which, combined with his BP always being topped up, meant he could basically break all enemies within the turn.

Thanks to the combination of Castti and Partitio, six out the eight final boss fights didn't even get to their second phase with me lol; I kept breaking them before they could trigger it, and ended the whole fight before they could even start their combos/charges. They completely broke the game lol. Ochette was great as well, and I made Osvald a Warmaster along with Scholar, which was another good combo (meanwhile, Throne was Apothecary plus Thief, which gave her great coveage).

As far as the story, I like all of them to be clear! But Temenos and Oswald are played far more straight than the other ones. What you think is what you get for all of them. I love the swerves that Castti, Throne, and Ochette take, and while Partitio's story is the dumbest fucking thing imaginable, he is such a charismatic character I am all for it. Agnea's is just the sweetest and most wholesome thing, and Hikari's is also what you see is what you get, but way more epic and done much better (IMO).

But yeah, definitely splitting hairs here, I love all of them!

Throne was HoH's starter, so I think they may be a bit biased towards her. As someone who got her relatively late, I'd rate her far lower across the board, but otherwise am largely in agreement with the placement of the rest of the cast.

Many characters can be extremely powerful. Partitio can wipe out mobs with fully boosted catapults immediately at the start of each battle (very early on) and later on can hire multihit 9999 assassins every turn (as well as make the entire party invincible to physical damage with sidestep + arcanist). Castti can give everyone infinite BP plus other bonuses via concocting. Ochette can glitch-provoke multiple "once per battle" monsters each round (subject to BP). Scholar Temenos can blow through 10 shields with his latent and elemental barrage. Some of Hikari's learned skills like Sentencing Gavel are extremely damaging as well, and his base divine/latent damage is outstanding. And so on.
Definitely love Throne since I had her the longest, yeah. I do like her design, she is very fun to play as, her story is very interesting, and the ending is just a total mindfuck. Not in the top tier, but I did like her!

And yes, you are right, there is so much scope to break so many characters in this game. The builds you can make are amazing, the mechanics in this game allow for so much player expression.

Many characters can be extremely powerful. Partitio can wipe out mobs with fully boosted catapults immediately at the start of each battle (very early on) and later on can hire multihit 9999 assassins every turn (as well as make the entire party invincible to physical damage with sidestep + arcanist). Castti can give everyone infinite BP plus other bonuses via concocting. Ochette can glitch-provoke multiple "once per battle" monsters each round (subject to BP). Scholar Temenos can blow through 10 shields with his latent and elemental barrage. Some of Hikari's learned skills like Sentencing Gavel are extremely damaging as well, and his base divine/latent damage is outstanding. And so on.
True, everyone is very flexible and can be good. I just never found a whole lot of use for Cassti, Throne, or Agnea in particular in battle, but admittedly I usually don't like "item-based" classes like alchemists/mixers/chemists/etc. Temenos is definitely great for breaking with his latent, I used that a ton. I used Arcanist on Osvald and Warmaster on Hikari, so basically I just went for pure blunt instrument raw damage and didn't do a whole lot of trickery or messing with BP/Sidestep/anything like that. I basically would just build up to nuking everything with double or triple spells with Osvald, or similar with Hikari. My main party at the endgame was Osvald, Hikari, Temenos, and Ochette (the last spot being flexible, I would sometimes use Partitio there).

True, everyone is very flexible and can be good. I just never found a whole lot of use for Cassti, Throne, or Agnea in particular in battle, but admittedly I usually don't like "item-based" classes like alchemists/mixers/chemists/etc. Temenos is definitely great for breaking with his latent, I used that a ton. I used Arcanist on Osvald and Warmaster on Hikari, so basically I just went for pure blunt instrument raw damage and didn't do a whole lot of trickery or messing with BP/Sidestep/anything like that. I basically would just build up to nuking everything with double or triple spells with Osvald, or similar with Hikari. My main party at the endgame was Osvald, Hikari, Temenos, and Ochette (the last spot being flexible, I would sometimes use Partitio there).
Castii mix is busted, give her the merchant skill where she starts every battle with full special and you can basically give your party max bp and stat buffs turn one (or turn 0 if you also give her inventors act first) without using any items. Agnea is a great inventor with the act first skill and winds of fate to make your entire party move before the enemy, or use her special to have inventors insane buffs hit the whole party, or dance with the right follower give stat ups and bp too.

yeah, ill admit it this thread finally sold me w the recent update. got the game and even started already

playing w the prison guy osvald rn to start with. loveeeee the premise here, so damn rad to play out

I am bumping this thread again because a) it's never a bad time to celebrate OT2, but also b) it's award season and I can't believe how dirty they are doing my baby 😭

I enjoy OT 2 much more than I did the first one but man, they should've made a "MultiXP" mode for non active members. Leveling all characters is still a chore as soon as your first 4 characters are at their chapter 3 or 4. Sure you can bring one low level with your three others to a high level zone to make them level faster, as long as they don't get killed first. And you have to buy them new equipment. And then if you want to change a team member, you have to go back to a tavern, change a member, rince and repeat.

This is frustrating because it's really the only thing that's bothering me. Between FF XVI and its useless leveling since enemies also level up with you and none of your stats increase matter at all, and this one where it matters A TON including the class skills. Frustrating because the game is so beautiful, the soundtrack is excellent, the writing is pretty good too, better than the first one IMO.

Also in one chapters, despite being like two to three levels above the recommended one for all my team members (and 4 level for my main), sometime the boss is much harder than what the game is recommending, even with good equipment.

They were THIS CLOSE to make it so much more enjoyable for me.

Last edited:
I’ve heard nothing but praise for this game. I own the first one, but have only put a few hours into it. I need to complete it, then jump into 2.

Back
Top Bottom