• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

LTTP LTTP: Kirby and the forgotten land

(Late to the party)
What a great game, I bought this game when it came out, I played the first world, and then I dropped the game. Due to work schedule and personal activities. I could not get to play it daily, but I noticed my older kid (6 year old) started playing it, and I will jump in with him sporadically to help him on some levels. That is until he got stuck on the desert and lava levels; I played completly those 2 worlds with him, and what a trip. I'm not huge Kirby fan, but the forgotten land should be in your radar if you like triple AAA platformers. Let me tell you why...

Gameplay:
The game's new perspective brings a refreshing take to the core Kirby gameplay, while at the beggining it may look a Mario 3D World copy, Kirby definetely expands on the secrets department and expands upon it with more tanglible rewards. The rescuing of the waddle dees are one of the key aspect, but also bringing the capsules, expanding waddle town, makes the searching for the secrets more worthwhile than Mario 3D's stickers (I know this was build around miiverse, but you get what I mean). Then add the minigames, the boss rush mode, the extra levels to beat after the end game and you have a nice package. I didn't discussed the powerups neither the co-op. That final boss is epic, I just love when kirby takes optimus prime and goes full throttle.

Sound:
The music composer is just awesome. I think kirby always have decent to good soundtracks, no complains here. There are some voiceovers at the end, I just hope they could added more.

Presentation:
Finally, the reason I bought this game was because the presentation when it was revealed, the game art direction looks lovely, even the bad guys are adorable hahaha, however, the switch definitely starts showing its age, at least on my 65 inch TV the game looks quite pixelated on some areas, is not that bad, but its noticeable.

I could write more, but Im running out of time.

What are your toughts? Did you enjoyed kirby? Any specific areas that stood out to you?

It is gonna end up as my GOTY if Splatoons singleplayer ends up disappointing me.

What a game.... it gets better and better which each world.

It really shines at level pacing. There is a really good balance between enemy encounters, puzzles, exploration, item usage and platforming sections. Often times all these sections get mixed as well.

The Boss Fights are also so much fun.
In combination with all the things I listed and the great presentation and the satisfying progression it feels like the sky is the limit for the franchise.

My youngest has played the demo a fair bit and I'll probably get it for him at Christmas. It's a lovely looking game, the demo is really fun in co-op. Definitely the most appealing Kirby thing I've tried.

Hitting the lava level now....it really is a great game. I'm trying to race through it, sadly, because of my schedule. I could just tell I would love it more or haven even more fun if I were to finish more o the stage challenges.

Loved the bonus objectives in the levels. Really encouraged you to probe every nook and cranny for secret goodies. Some of the extra challenges and postgame levels were also real tests of skill, I was really pumped when I 100 percented the game.

Also Waddle Dee town is coooozy

Loved the bonus objectives in the levels. Really encouraged you to probe every nook and cranny for secret goodies. Some of the extra challenges and postgame levels were also real tests of skill, I was really pumped when I 100 percented the game.

Also Waddle Dee town is coooozy

Yes this is one of the big hook the game has along with the secret island you uncover to increase the power of copy abilities!

For me, it's one of the best feel-good games in years.

From the side objectives, mouthful mode, and ability trials, to the lovely presentation, to the elegant level design, every inch of it feels lovingly crafted to induce as much dopamine as possible.

I had a big silly smile on my face the whole time I was playing, and it really helped my mental health at a time when I was going through a rough patch.
It's a prime example of the power of video games to relief stress and bring joy.

Can’t believe I forgot to mention Mouthful Mode! Great way to change up the gameplay in the levels, not to mention looking absolutely hilarious

Talking about feel good, my kid and I finished the game together and we were having a blast just screaming of excitement at the screen.

I'm glad it help you, don't give up sir, amd just like Kirby, keep smiling.

Last edited:
Fantastic game! The balance between main game content, post game content, abilities and their upgrades, how the hub grows, arena challenges, in-game currencies, and so on, are so well balanced in this game! The difficulty curve might feel off at first (starting off very easy), but in the scope of the whole game it's not.

I 100%'d it. I rarely 100% games, so that says everything really. It'd probably be my GOTY easily were it not for Elden Ring.

In late March/early April, I had a lot of stress with finishing everything for grad school. Kirby was the right game at the right time! Just one of those games that made me smile, chill out, and stop worrying about things for a minute. For me, it's probably the best platformer to release on switch since Mario Odyssey.

Was on the fence, tried the demo and immediately fell in love. Finished 100% and it was a blast all the way through. My son and nephew also loved it, as a family man I have to appreciate a game appealing to both kids and adults.

This game is amazing.
Kirby is amazing.
I love kirby.
People should play more kirby.
Kirby.

Man I was so so excited about this game, but the demo dampened that enthusiasm and pushed me away for two reasons...
  1. Second player only getting to play as waddle dee with no power-ups. I was excited to play through the whole game in co-op so this was a huuuuge bummer
  2. 30fps felt super choppy in this game for some reason. Maybe it's because I had just come off of playing bowser's fury, but I just could not get used to the framerate. It made the whole game feel unresponsive.
I could have dealt with one of those two issues on their own but together...I dunno, it just wasn't what I had in mind i guess.

I am really proud of you guys. No "Kirby sucks!" joke to be seen!

Man I was so so excited about this game, but the demo dampened that enthusiasm and pushed me away for two reasons...
  1. Second player only getting to play as waddle dee with no power-ups. I was excited to play through the whole game in co-op so this was a huuuuge bummer
  2. 30fps felt super choppy in this game for some reason. Maybe it's because I had just come off of playing bowser's fury, but I just could not get used to the framerate. It made the whole game feel unresponsive.
I could have dealt with one of those two issues on their own but together...I dunno, it just wasn't what I had in mind i guess.

This happened to me with XC2 and the Torna, the resolutions was just too blurry. With kirby didn't bother me as much, because I think they mitigated such things with the forced persepeective.

And yes waddle dee being a free play can suck but it worked perfectly with me and my kid.

Back
Top Bottom