• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

LTTP Lttp: Danganronpa V3, what in the name of Anime did I just experience? (Full Spoilers)

(Late to the party)

Ozzie

Chain Chomp
My very first lttp on fami, hopefully it goes well lol. Apologies for any mistakes since all of this is typed on my phone.

So, after playing Danganronpa 1 and 2 on mobile, I have been eagerly waiting for V3 to come out which got delayed and never came out. E3 comes and to my surprise, Danganronpa Collection gets announced for Switch. I tried so hard to avoid spoilers and thankfully it paid off.

So...I just completed V3 few hours ago and I'm still trying to process what happened. Talk about 4th wall breaking but before that, I want to talk about the trials and characters.

The trials were without a doubt very engaging, full of mystery and satisfaction. The 1st trial was really refreshing making the MC the culprit but it's a shame the moment we get a female MC, they kill her off.

2nd trial felt your usual Danganronpa trial, nothing wrong with that at all.

The 3rd trial in Danganronpa series tend to have more mystery and victims and V3 was no exception and I really enjoyed. The culprit Kiyo was possibly the most fucked up character I have come across, so unsettling.

4th trial...broke my heart, poor Gonta šŸ˜­.

5th trial was legit crazy. Kokichi you crazy bastard. This guy along with his phenomenal English VA carried the game hard for me. Seriously amazing. But the end got me crying because of Kaito and Maki.

And now...the 6th trial. First things first, I loved the beginning, the fact that the first case was still unsolved and the way I gasped the moment Tsumugi mentioned that she went to the girls bathroom exposing herself as the mastermind. I didn't even consider the thought of her being the mastermind. I'm so happy I wasn't spoiled on this. I assumed it was Miu because so many people had her as a profile picture because of me being so paranoid of spoilers šŸ˜…. But the revelation was so satisfying.

And then the second half of trial 6. Danganronpa 1 and 2 is not real? Everything is fiction...? Everything was a lie? V3 actually stood for Danganronpa Season 53. Outside world watching the killing games? So many crazy twists and I'm still trying to process this.

I don't know if I love it or dislike it. Although I will say for certain that it was very refreshing but unfortunately I'm not exactly satisfied. I feel a bit sad and empty lol.

I feel like the message is that there will be no more Danganronpa games in real life, so no Danganronpa 4 or season 54 or whatever. I guess it's one way to say we don't want to make these games anymore lol.

But I will say this, I LOVED the journey, the mystery, characters, trials and the sexy soundtrack. I'm just a sucker for these types of games.

At the very least, Team Danganronpa are making a new IP, so should be exciting.

I'm kinda curious what your thoughts are on V3?

I personally loved the final trial. Even though I guessed the gist of the twist beforehand, the details were still insane. I went in expecting it to be some kind of meta thing where the people from the real world, us, were watching these characters for entertainment, and that's obviously what the actual twist was a metaphor for, but the whole thing about the killing games (allegedly) being an in-universe reality TV show 53 seasons in... Hoo boy. I say allegedly though because there are some inconsistencies that imply Tsumugi might be lying. Kaede's memory of being kidnapped from the very beginning of the game for example.

I both hate and appreciate Kaede's death at the same time. On the one hand like you said it sucks they killed off the first female protagonist so quickly. She was a really compelling character on account of actually being driven and a good leader, though I ended up really liking Shuichi too. But on the other hand it just fed into the series' over the top sexist tendencies even more. I can't even entirely fault it though, because Kodaka knows exactly who his audience is and how to manipulate them perfectly. It's pretty clear when you evaluate it through an otaku/NEET male lens. The scene where Kaede holds Shuichi's hand and encourages him, the cringe scene where he sees up her skirt when she's on a ladder, it's all in service of getting the kinds of players he expects are playing these games infatuated with Kaede so that her death hits even harder.

Kodaka's done the same in past games with Sayaka (hot pop idol suddenly acting very affectionate towards the nobody main character; turns out she was taking advantage of you and trying to frame you. Worked especially well because I had no expectations for the franchise at this point and thought she was just being written as cliche power fantasy fanservice, rather than in a self aware manner) and Chiaki (blatant gamer bait; dies). It feels so skeevy because it's very clearly written as a male self-insert fantasy specifically meant to take advantage of a certain segment of players (otaku/NEET men), but it's undeniably effective.

Last edited:
I remember staring at my computer screen at like 1 AM, utterly dumbfounded while I was just trying to process it all. The final trial is incredible.

One of my favorite parts of V3 is how it pretends to go where DR2 went only to spit all over it. DR2, IMO, has a really weak finale that's too much of a "hey, remember DR1?" fest, the game's own cast gets sidelined and it devolves into being too much of a rehash of the first game

V3, however, only ACTS like it's going in that direction: "Oh hey guys, the mastermind is Junko, AGAIN. Look at all these connections to the first two games!" And then it makes fun of how lame that would be while Tsumugi cosplays as different Danganronpa characters while breaking Shuichi's soul in half.

Even the big "DONT GIVE UP ON HOPE" moment gets shit on because it's all apart of the script, the game is rigged and the only way to win is not to play. So good.

Personally, while I liked DV3 a lot overall, I really didn't care for the ending. It just felt... boring? Way too out-there and disconnected, in a way, if that makes sense. My favorite ending by far is the first game because while it's still obviously over-the-top and ridiculous it maintains a grounded and vaguely realistic feel. But honestly, the last case of every game is my least favorite. For whatever reason they just don't do it for me; while I LOVE the normal cases during the games the endings and final cases always let me down at least a little. (I'm also not a big fan of the super-overboard DESPAIR OMG type stuff they try to pull)

I really liked V3 a ton overall. Both MCs were great and most of the cast was super interesting. Koichi was definitely my favorite and the gist of his final line, something like ā€œI hope I was interestingā€ was great. I liked all of the final survivors.

First case was great, though bittersweet to lose the female MC. One or two cases felt a bit redundant of previous games, but the big moments landed. As someone who played Ultra Despair Girls and watched the Danganronpa 3 anime, I really loved guessing how it all fit together (I still wonder what the splits were for people who liked the game or not and who watched the anime or not). I dug the final swerve as the V3 twist was brilliant. I really dug what it was, but I still want a Danganronpa 4 so I guess they didnā€™t fully make their case lol.

Music was awesome and the minigames were the best yet. I especially loved the driving game and the scrub(?) debate music (also whatever song repeatedly counts one, two lol). Lying was a cool mechanic.

I liked V3, and Iā€™m glad the ending didnā€™t continue the Junko stuff or regurgitate the same theme of Hope vs. Despair.

I liked V3, and Iā€™m glad the ending didnā€™t continue the Junko stuff or regurgitate the same theme of Hope vs. Despair.
I agree, but honestly what I want most is another Danganronpa that has literally nothing to do with any of the other games. I feel like V3 didn't go far enough. Just do a brand new Danganronpa in a completely new setting, all-new characters, nothing connecting it to any other game, etc.

(except Monokuma. I feel like he kind of needs to be there. And no, I don't think there needs to be an explanation of how he's back, just go with it)

Despite waking up and continuing with my day, I'm still trying process what I experienced lol.

I don't think I'll ever experience something unique as V3 ever again. Maybe that's for the best.

Quoted by: em
Despite waking up and continuing with my day, I'm still trying process what I experienced lol.

I don't think I'll ever experience something unique as V3 ever again. Maybe that's for the best.

Have you already played 999, Nier Automata, and Undertale?

Have you already played 999, Nier Automata, and Undertale?
Yup except Nier since unfortunately I do not have a capable PC or any console except Switch.

I have also played the whole Zero Escape Trilogy (VLR being my most favorite), all Ace Attorney games, all Professor Layton games, PLvsAA and AI Somnium Files.

Although I hear that You Turn To Die is a free VN and it's been praised a lot. I might give it a try but apparently it's not finished yet?

V3 was actually my favourite ending of the 3 games. 1 and 2 both disappointed me for different reasons (though 2 might have just soured me overall since i disliked so many characters), but it would not have worked without 1 and 2 to build off. So in a way i also appreciate all the endings. Kiibo deserved better ;-;

V3 was actually my favourite ending of the 3 games. 1 and 2 both disappointed me for different reasons (though 2 might have just soured me overall since i disliked so many characters), but it would not have worked without 1 and 2 to build off. So in a way i also appreciate all the endings. Kiibo deserved better ;-;
That final cutscene with Keebo made my eyes watery lol. Such a wholesome robot.

Yup except Nier since unfortunately I do not have a capable PC or any console except Switch.

I have also played the whole Zero Escape Trilogy (VLR being my most favorite), all Ace Attorney games, all Professor Layton games, PLvsAA and AI Somnium Files.

Although I hear that You Turn To Die is a free VN and it's been praised a lot. I might give it a try but apparently it's not finished yet?

What about Steins gate?

That's definitely a full on VN though, with very little player interaction other than reading, unlike the rest of the games you listed.

Aviary attorney was pretty good too, though it's certainly "Short but sweet", I would say, being around 4-5 hours in length.

What about Steins gate?

That's definitely a full on VN though, with very little player interaction other than reading, unlike the rest of the games you listed.

Aviary attorney was pretty good too, though it's certainly "Short but sweet", I would say, being around 4-5 hours in length.
I watched the anime of the first game but that was like over 6-7 years ago lol. I did think of getting Steins gate games but I was kinda disappointed that they used the anime cutscenes as opposed the original art unless you can change it?

Back
Top Bottom