• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

LTTP LTTP - A Link To The Past (yes that LTTP)

(Late to the party)

Mekanos

おっす!
Pronouns
he/they

The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past. What can be said about it that hasn't been said over the last 3 decades and change?

Let me try in this sort-of sequel to this thread:

Link To The Past was my very first Zelda game and one of my very first video games in general. It triggers intense nostalgia in me. I spent hours on it with my brother. Every sound effect, visual, and track reminds me strongly of years passed.

But I've never beat it. Not on my own. I always "played" it with my brother, but a lot of that involved watching him do the hard parts. I made several attempts to play it on my own, but I always got sidetracked once I hit the Dark World. My last attempt was more than 15 years ago. With TOTK looming, and wanting to work on my Zelda backlog this year, I thought I should give this an honest go. As silly as it sounds, I felt a little like I couldn't be a "true" Zelda fan until I beat this with my own two hands. I've beaten many other Zelda games since then, but not this for myself.

It is done. I am the hero of Hyrule once again. So what is left?

Turns out, a pretty damn great game.

A lot has been said over the years regarding two aspects regarding Link To The Past - it signaled the Zelda series moving closer to a linear, more guided structure (with a formula that would be repeated ad nauseam), and that compared to later games, it story and presentation is still rather barebones. I have thoughts on both of those that I'll try to get into.

Having played TLOZ for the first time recently to compare, LTTP is definitely a different beast in many ways even if it evolves that formula. You still have a dense overworld to explore (even denser), and the player is rewarded for searching and finding things that might not seem obvious at first. You still have lots of enemies trying to kill you. But the focus has shifted. You're not just on a journey, but a quest, with various points to stop at and trigger events. There are dungeons with puzzles to solve. You start the game storming a rainy castle and saving Zelda. There's a cinematic flair to it that really makes it stand out compared to other early SNES games. While it's not as challenging as TLOZ, this is in line with the SNES era of Nintendo moving away from more arcade-y gameplay and something that invokes an experience. It's less about the challenge and trial and error and more about the sense of adventure and overcoming evil. And for that, LTTP captures that very well.

On the other hand, it's definitely all in all, a pretty straightforward game story-wise. NPCs have very simplistic, often expository dialogue, and outside of a couple of plot twists there are no real surprises in store for the player. Go to the dungeons, get the macguffins. That's the game. But in an era where 3D Zelda games overtime became more bogged down with longwinded cinematics, forced minigames, and stifling gimmicks, LTTP's straightforwardness is downright refreshing. Go clear this dungeon. Great! Now the next. Then the next. Now travel to the waterfall to get your flippers. Keep going. Whereas BOTW built on the openness and freedom of TLOZ, I would love a 3D Zelda with a dense overworld full of monsters and secrets as well as dungeons punctuating it throughout. LTTP handles that very well. The gameplay loop is satisfying and you feel like you're constantly making progress, and there are quite a few secrets to discover beyond just getting more Heart Pieces that reeward your exploration.

That said, one area where it falters a bit on this is visuals and music. While LTTP's music is iconic and memorable, no doubt, only having two unique dungeon themes, along with a lot of reused tiles and assets, can make them feel like they blur together. There's some standout exceptions like the Ice Palace and Turtle Rock, but you can see a clear improvement on this aspect with Link's Awakening, among other things. Interestingly, this might also be part of my ambivalence regarding the Dark World overall. The concept is brilliant, and it flips everything the player expects on its head once they get there (I particularly love the lore that the Dark World is the Sacred Realm fallen to Ganon). But as it goes on, I found that its core tenet - it's the Light World but twisted - to lose its novelty when you realize it's quite literally the same map geometry with some tweaks. This was an understandable concession for making an early SNES game, and for its time it's obviously extremely impressive. But for as much as OOT gets flack for repeating LTTP's gimmick of "three dungeons, twist, now more dungeons in an altered map" to perhaps less impressive results, I think OOT understands the player won't be "tricked" into thinking it's a new map, and that along with the story changes due to the time passing makes the differences stand out much more. Whereas the Dark World, while very cool and engaging, feels a bit too abstract and isolated from the Light World (with the exception of making water flood to open up the Swamp Palace). Though I do like that Misery Mire is blocked off in the Dark World and can only be accessed through the Light World; I wish the game had more of that.

I generally really enjoyed the dungeons, as I felt the mix of combat + exploration mixed with light puzzle solving made for an engaging playthrough compared to a lot of 3D dungeons that focus on spatial puzzles that don't always feel as intuitive or enjoyable. They don't take too long either, usually about 15-20 minutes tops, so you rarely feel like you're slogging it out. There's been a lot said about the Ice Palace being difficult and tedious, but I kinda loved that they force the player to traverse through a good 50-60% of this dungeon before you get the Dungeon Map. I felt myself nervous and apprehensive the further I went in, trusting my gut, but wondering if I somehow missed the map, only to be elated once I found it and pressed on. Feelings like that really capture the sense of adventure and questing in such a distilled form. I will say though I wasn't a big fan of how often dungeons relied on dark rooms and limiting the player's vision to instill difficulty. I tend to think of limiting the player's standard gameplay options to be too simplistic and unsatisfying of a way to escalate difficulty, but it generally wasn't anything too arduous or taxing.

While Link's Awakening addresses quite a few of these points, I can't help but wonder what another 2D Zelda would have looked like later in the SNES's life after the developers knew the system better and could make more complex games, both mechnically and visually. I would have loved to see what they come up with and how they build on LTTP. Regardless, while LA is still my favorite 2D Zelda, this is a comfortable second and a game that still carries a deep sense of nostalgia despite only properly giving it a playthrough now. I'm very glad I did, and straightforward as it may be now, sometimes that is its own virtue.

As a final note, here's my brother's response after I beat the game, being a person who has barely played video games himself in the last 20 years:

FuhgrWUaIAMCb9X

I think this game is underrated. Yes, I said it. Around a year ago Japan did a tv show where they announced the Top 100 video games ever as voted on by the public, and LttP didn’t even make the list. I was absolutely flabbergasted. And then I had a discussion with people on this site who were saying that Link’s Awakening is a better game. Like, I understand opinions and whatnot, but I feel objectively there is no comparison. A Link to the Past is a perfect game. It is my all time favorite Zelda game, and currently sits at #5 on my favorite games ever list.

I wish the top down games would go back to a more serious tone, as I’m not at all a fan of the cartoony style that the series has gone to this century.

One of my favorite games - I'm glad you finally beat it, @Mekanos. I used to play it yearly, but this thread is enough to make me want to take an afternoon and play through it before TOTK releases.

While Link's Awakening addresses quite a few of these points, I can't help but wonder what another 2D Zelda would have looked like later in the SNES's life after the developers knew the system better and could make more complex games, both mechnically and visually. I would have loved to see what they come up with and how they build on LTTP.

You and me both.

I think this game is underrated. Yes, I said it. Around a year ago Japan did a tv show where they announced the Top 100 video games ever as voted on by the public, and LttP didn’t even make the list. I was absolutely flabbergasted. And then I had a discussion with people on this site who were saying that Link’s Awakening is a better game. Like, I understand opinions and whatnot, but I feel objectively there is no comparison. A Link to the Past is a perfect game. It is my all time favorite Zelda game, and currently sits at #5 on my favorite games ever list.

I wish the top down games would go back to a more serious tone, as I’m not at all a fan of the cartoony style that the series has gone to this century.
That’s a pretty typical opinion I think - that LA is better than LTTP. It’s one I mention in my OP! Not that LTTP isn’t great.

There's something really special about a Link to the Past. Despite how much of the later series it would go on to define, it's still very much a formative game for the series that had to figure a lot out on its own, and it exists in this Hyrule that isn't quite crystalized into what Ocarina of Time would mold the series into. As such, it's a lot more fairytale-esque, and yet it also has a sense of grandeur to it like a great DnD campaign. There's something more raw about a Link to the Past, something unconstrained. It's a game I respect so much, even if it's not my overall favorite Zelda.

I feel like the game is rather overated nowadays. The world and exploration is perfection but the combat, dungeons, and world building have all been eclipsed by later 2d entries. Its the white bread of zelda.

And yes, this is still a fantastic at least top ten zelda game, by overrated I just mean the constant #1 literally objectively perfect video claims that i've seen. That belongs to the adventure of link obviously.

There was always an interesting magical feeling to A Link to the Past, because it's one of those games with a lot of obscure secrets and its world feels less defined than that of later games. A lot of things are kind of just allowed to exist without comment or explanation, and dialogue hints vaguely at things which may or may not actually appear in the game itself. I think Ocarina can be like that, but it's more hidden there, Ocarina has a lot more to latch onto and take at face value about its world.

I remember I used to think a lot about that guy who says the Zora have something that can turn people into fish. In a different sort of game that might just read as a simple hint towards the flippers, but A Link to the Past is a game where things dropped into the water will sometimes seemingly turn into a fish for absolutely no reason. It's so in-line with the cryptic nature of the world that as a kid I don't think I ever realized that's what he was talking about.

As a game, when I think of ALttP I think of how big and open it is. It has 12 dungeons. It has two maps. There's kind of an intended order to the game, but you can access most of the world from the start without much restriction and there's a lot of places where you can do things differently if you want, which is messy in a sense but also offers some freedom. Its a game with a scale that's hard to live up to. ...In theory.

This thread made me give it another go, and reminded me why, in practice, it's mostly a game I start a playthrough of and then kind of fall off. As broad as it is, it's also very simple compared to what the series would become. I mean, in the time since I saw this thread last night, I started a new game and have since defeated Ganon with 100% completion hours ago, and I don't know this game like the back of my hand and swear I spent like 20 minutes just on getting the Heart Piece from that stupid digging minigame (truly the Sploosh Kaboom of ALttP). You don't really get the atmosphere, the towns, and the more involved items and dungeons the series would become known for. It's simultaneously the most base iteration of Zelda distilled to its most iconic elements, and doesn't quite feel like Zelda at all yet. Despite being known as the Zelda game all the others are based on, it didn't even have the classic Zelda formula. Plenty of items do nothing in the dungeon you find them in, and can even be skipped completely. Even when they do get used in the dungeon, it usually amounts to like one room.

It's very stiff to control, kind of ugly, the soundfont is pretty poor, and it's in this weird place where it's both much less streamlined and much less intense than the NES games, and much less detailed and involved than everything after it, which can leave it feeling kind of empty and shallow. It's easy to think of A Link Between Worlds as basically a second quest of A Link to the Past if you haven't played the latter in a while, but there's actually a pretty vast difference in content density between them. ALBW plays much smoother, the items are more versatile and used much more (even with the game only being able to guarantee you have them for one dungeon each), and the overworld has much more stuff in it.

That was probably my biggest takeaway from this revisit. The overworld is much emptier than I remembered it being, especially the Dark World, which has very little in it outside of the dungeons and a few caves with guys who give hints for money. That said, the Dark World has easily the hardest dungeons in the series, bar maybe something like second quest or Oracle of Ages. They're simple, basically defined by a unique structure and maybe a few signature enemies or obstacles, but the sheer aggression of ALttP's enemies and the act of figuring out each level's structure makes them surprising endurance tests for how quickly they all seem to go by. You're racing your own ability to find the way through against how long you're able to hold out with the onslaught of bullshit the game is throwing at you to drain Link's hearts and magic. This is ALttP's defining feature and the main reason it still holds up at all today. I mean, the rest of the game isn't bad, but it's just... fine. I already mentioned the side content. The Light World isn't as restrained as the child portion of OoT, but it's still definitely more of a prelude before the "real game" begins. Rather than the game employing a more natural difficulty curve, the complexity deliberately spikes way up when you hit the Palace of Darkness.

I find it interesting that one is enforced as being first, because it might be the hardest. Part of this being that it's one of very few places in the series where just following the flow of the level will not get you through it, you have to act with intentionality in regards to where you choose to go and what state you put the dungeon into. That mainly amounts to flipping the colored switches here, it's nothing as cool as Stone Tower Temple or anything, but functionally it's the same idea. Even dungeons as infamous as Great Bay or Water Temple can actually be autopiloted by just hitting each switch once when you come to it (I know because that's how I did all of them as a kid), but I'm pretty sure I only accidentally made it through Palace of Darkness once after a ton of wandering around stuck, and I got the easy GBA Ice Palace, so I didn't have to do the puzzle that requires you to go all the way around the dungeon with the intent of pushing a specific rock into a pit.

This was the first time I can recall ever seeing that one for myself actually. Either I never finished the SNES version before or I did Misery Mire before Ice Palace specifically to avoid this, in any case I'm now a little disappointed it was removed because these dungeons are simple enough that any subtraction is felt. I am that one person who really, really likes the water dungeons though.

I think there are at least five Zeldas I'd easily put ahead of this one, but it's not really in the lower half of the series either. Middle of the pack feels about right. It's kind of dated but there's nothing especially wrong with it compared to practically every game after it (except maybe the controls, which really are sort of bad) yet at the same time there's very little about it that's particularly exceptional next to all of its sequels. Kind of a Super Mario Bros. situation.

Why is that chat log at the bottom of OP one of the most wholesome things I've seen in a while?

Glad you enjoyed it! I also agree that Link's Awakening ranks higher to me, but LTTP was where Zelda really started to find its voice and formula. It's also surprisingly difficulty compared to any other non-NES Zelda, imo

Seeing people call LttP dated is making me feel really old. But I do get it, I guess. It's hard for me to view this game objectively; it was one of the first games I ever played and I absolutely adore it. I play it at least once a year, sometimes more, so I actually don't have any idea of how many times I've beaten it. It'll always be my favorite Zelda game, even if I can acknowledge later entries may have done stuff better.

Back
Top Bottom