• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews Live A Live | Review Thread

mazi

picross pundit
Metacritic (81)
OpenCritic (81)

Eurogamer (recommended):
While component tales and battles can be hit-and-miss, this elderly Squaresoft anthology is a wonderful testament to its genre's flexibility and range.

Polygon (no score):
But most importantly, Live A Live feels biblical in its attempt to tie all of human history into one narrative. But as much as Live A Live admirably tries to tell a story as vast as any game has ever told, time and time again, its characters are too flimsy to hold the weight.

The Verge (no score):
Games don’t always age well, and so sometimes exploring the classics can feel like a chore, even if they happen to be influential. But that’s not the case with Live A Live. It’s a rare game that doubles as a great RPG and a great history lesson.

Digitally Downloaded (5/5):
This is a quirky and fundamentally experimental JRPG that in many ways remains out there on its own. The chapter-based approach to simple (but enjoyable) narratives that take place across time and space allows for an experience that is both varied and flexible. Throw in the most excellent application of HD-2D art for the remake, and the fact that this is the first time this game has had a formal release in the west, and Live A Live is an essential experimental title for the curious and those that enjoy playing things that are genuinely different.

Pocket Tactics (10/10):
Live A Live is a phenomenal RPG that's sure to delight new and old fans alike. Each chapter tells a story with its own cast, time, and location, yet all are done seamlessly and they tie together nice to form the overarching story. Then, to top it all off, the combat is fantastic, well designed, and exactly what you'd expect from a title that utilises turn-based mechanics.

IGN (9/10):
Live A Live is a fascinating piece of JRPG history that’s more than worthy of the energy Square Enix has spent to remake it for a global audience with a beautiful new art style decades later. Its unusual vignette structure and lovable ensemble cast are a delight to spend time with, especially thanks to the addition of voice acting, and the ultimate story payoff remains surprising and stand-out among JRPGs even decades after its original iteration. Its seven different characters each make inventive and surprising use of the deceptively simple combat system, which adds even more flavor to the most challenging optional boss fights. The remake could have put a bit more work into mitigating some of the original’s more tedious grinds toward the end, but by the time that grind kicks in, Live A Live had enough hooks stuck in me that I couldn’t put it down until I’d jammed out to Megalomania for the final time.

Nintendo Insider (9/10):
I’ll admit, this was an incredibly subversive game for its era, one that might not hit as well as it did for some compared to me. I’m able to appreciate it as both a game from the ’90s and just a game. But I’m sure a lot of creatives in Japan were inspired by this, and those inspirations had to have bled into their work. You will have likely seen parts of its unique twists on the genres it plays with elsewhere, but I found that to be an endearing trait. It feels fitting that a compilation of clear passion and inspiration has trickled down to other games. The impact of Live A Live has seemingly never gone away, and that’s beautiful.

Game Informer (9/10):
We’ll never know how Live A Live would have fared in the U.S. back in the day. Flash forward nearly three decades, and I can’t recommend this revitalized relic enough. It’s that good. This is another must-play Switch RPG that entertains in ways I didn’t expect and kept me glued to the screen for well over 20 hours.

Inverse (9/10):
There’s something for everyone in Live A Live, a deliberate blast from the past that draws from Final Fantasy IV as much as it does 2001: A Space Odyssey and Shane. You’ll love some sections more than others, to be sure, but the way it all ties together is nothing short of spectacular.

Twinfinite (4.5/5):
I implore anyone who enjoyed JRPGs of the 90s, especially the ones by Square itself, to give Live A Live a try. It’s filled to the brim with variety, humor, and interesting narratives. It may not be perfect or surpass your childhood favorites, but fans of the genre will find a place in their hearts for it nonetheless.

CGMagazine (9/10):
It’s been 28 years, but Live A Live finally gets its proper dues outside of Japan with an excellent remake.

GAMINGbible (9/10):
Live A Live is an epic story made up of multiple narratives and protagonists, taking place over different eras and genres. While from the outside it may appear to be another remastered retro title for Nintendo Switch, it is without a doubt one of the best games I’ve played this year.

TheSixthAxis (9/10):
Live A Live is hands down one of the most interesting games I've experienced in a while. A neat little package made up of completely disparate elements, it shouldn’t work but it does. Add in some truly clever gameplay mechanics, the gorgeous HD-2D visuals and phenomenal soundtrack, and you have a game I would urge any JRPG fan to play.

Glitched Africa (8.5/10):
My biggest takeaway from Live A Live is how remarkable it is considering it is a game from 1994. Sure, a lot of the fancy finishes come from the “remake” aspect here but the general package has remained the same. It goes to show that Square Enix has always been master RPG makers and Live A Live is a testament to that.

Video Chums (8.1/10):
LIVE A LIVE kept me excited for what the next chapter would entail with each one boasting unique characters, settings, and gameplay so it's a perfect game for anyone who relishes variety. I just wish each chapter was fleshed out with more depth and unique elements.

RPG Site (8/10):
The game didn’t wear out its welcome with my playthrough, taking me about 23 hours to get all the endings. Live A Live brings with it some of the best qualities a game can have, a sense of discovery and adventure. With the option to play some chapters completely differently, or tackle on extra hard enemies, this is definitely a game I’ll replay, sooner than later.

Nintendo Life (8/10):
Live A Live has been well worth the long wait. This remake reintroduces an influential, unique JRPG to the wider world with aplomb, with a cacophony of different gameplay styles, music, and visuals that somehow hang together beautifully. Despite looking like Octopath Traveler and perfecting the HD-2D visual style, you'd do well to remember that this is still a Super Famicom RPG, with many of the frustrations that come with ‘90s RPGs still intact in this remake. Still, we admire that Square Enix decided not to change too much with this remake, instead delivering an authentic and faithful update to the game that the majority of players outside Japan missed nearly three decades ago. This is a piece of gaming history we have loved getting to experience for the first time.

Press Start Australia (8/10):
Live A Live leverages a fantastic visual overhaul with an already compelling and inventive narrative structure to offer an RPG experience like no other. It’s aging for sure – the slower nature of the turn-based battles and some strange logic to get the story moving – but it’s such a unique experience that any RPG fan owes it to themselves to try.

Destructoid (8/10):
As an experiment, even almost three decades later, Live A Live mostly succeeds. Because it’s unconventional at heart, it’s going to be a bit polarizing (especially at 50 bucks), just as it was back when it was released. Still, the juice is worth the squeeze if you’re a particular type of person who likes oddities, and stories that go for broke.

Eurogamer Italy (8/10, review in Italian):
Live A Live is an outstanding remake of the game originally published in 1994. Its art style, music and sound effect perfectly merge with narratives while maintaining the same combat system and structure of the original version.

Shacknews (8/10):
What makes Live A Live stand out is that if I hadn't been told that this game first released almost 30 years ago, I never would have guessed it. The clever concept, all tied together by a single antagonistic force, and the timeless stories work just as brilliantly in 2022.

The Independent (8/10):
Live a Live feels like a natural fit within Square Enix’s focus on bringing older titles to newer audiences. As the blueprint for other potential titles to come, it’s clear why the 1994 SNES title was chosen as the first remaster to receive the “HD-2D” treatment. Even with a shallow learning curve, there’s plenty to enjoy in this unique omnibus. Fans of classic JRPGs won’t want to miss this reimagining with plenty to enjoy for newcomers to role-playing games.

Siliconera (8/10):
Live A Live is a success, both as a self-contained remake of a quirky cult classic and as a prototype for the future of JRPG remakes. Its weaknesses are those of the preserved original’s game design, but it makes these sacrifices intentionally and has a lot to offer those interested in its pace and structure.

Dexerto (8/10):
Live A Live is an ambitious RPG – wildly ambitious considering the time it was released – with loads of interesting concepts and ideas that shine even brighter thanks to a fresh coat of paint.

Vooks (4/5):
It's great that a wider audience now has the opportunity to play Live A Live, with the added bonus of getting the HD-2D upgrade in the process. Its novel anthology presentation won't be for everyone, thankfully, an added map/radar reduces some old-school frustrations. SquareEnix made the right move breathing new life into Live A Live.

VG247 (4/5):
It feels monumentally important, wonderfully clever, and full of a gleeful energy that’ll make the heart of any old-school RPG fan swell. Top marks on this website doesn’t mean it’s a perfect game; it just means we recommend playing it absolutely unreservedly – and such is the case here.

GameSpot (8/10):
I truly loved my experience playing Live A Live. The gameplay and narrative variety, incredible visuals, and superb soundtrack kept me enthralled throughout my 30-hour journey. I still feel like the game has a few secrets and little story bits I may have overlooked. It's quite the accomplishment that, almost 30 years later, Live A Live still manages to surprise, subvert, and enthrall. Those timeless qualities make it well worth your attention, now and likely for years to come.

Wccftech (8/10):
Live A Live is a fascinating lost piece of gaming history that offers up an impressively-varied cinematic saga well ahead of its time, although a slide into more traditional JRPG tropes in its third act diminishes some of what makes the game special. Live A Live is an unpredictable journey worth experiencing, but like life itself, it may leave you feeling a bit worn down by the end.

Checkpoint Gaming (7.5/10):
Live A Live is an incredibly unique and endearing adventure, with multiple engaging storylines and strong combat throughout. Some of its ideas are so forward-thinking and intriguing that it’s almost shocking that this was originally released almost 30 years ago. While it maintains some weird quirks reminiscent of the SNES era that it came from and the pacing can be a bit strange from chapter to chapter, the beautiful visuals and catchy soundtrack propel Live A Live into the modern era and gives everybody the opportunity to experience a classic RPG that has a whole lot of heart. I’m incredibly grateful I’ve had the opportunity to play it, and am left dreaming about what other hidden gems just like it might be waiting to be unlocked and shared with the world.

COGconnected (72/100):
Although these are fairly bite-sized adventures, each one packs a remarkable punch. Every chapter works to distinguish itself from the rest of the pack, and it shows. While I can’t recommend each story with equal vigor, I am impressed with the total package. Sure, I would prefer fewer chances to soft-lock yourself. I’d also love to leave behind some of the level grinding. But the core gameplay loop is still fun. Between the wild stories, the engaging combat, and the incredible voice acting, Live A Live feels like much more than the sum of its parts. If you’re any kind of fan of classic JRPGs, you owe it to yourself to check out this game.

GAMES.CH (71%, review in German):
The basic idea of Live A Live with umpteen different characters and settings, and partially various mechanics is great. But despite its charming retro-kind graphics and music a great idea alone does not make a great game. Overall Live A Live is a solid JRPG, nothing more, nothing less.

Digital Trends (3.5/5):
Live A Live mostly accomplishes what it’s supposed to do: tell a serviceable story and back it up with engaging gameplay. However, the game takes too long to get to the best part, which is the final chapter when all of the characters are available to join a single party. Until then, a few of the character chapters can be slogs to get through. The visual presentation and music are great, though, making the journey to the end a treat for both eyes and ears.

God is a Geek (7/10):
Live A Live is a neat little curio that warrants a look, but there's a huge variety in not just story, but the quality of the action as well.

Comicbook.com (3.5/5):
Even though I had a couple of issues with Live A Live, I largely have to say that I really enjoyed my time with the game. Despite being so old, this is one of the more inventive and creative RPGs that I have ever played, and it really shows where some of Square's ideas for later projects came from. Those who have been waiting patiently for decades to experience Live A Live will no doubt be happy with this remake, and anyone else who is merely looking to scratch their itch for a new RPG to play should find a lot to like here, too.

Nintendo World Report (7/10):
If it was Live A Live that allowed Takashi Tokita and his work on Chrono Trigger to soar, then of course it was worth it. In this present day chapter, for my money, I'm looking ahead to the next Square remake.

WellPlayed (7/10):
Repetitive combat and exploration pad out this wonderfully remastered cult JRPG experience that falls just short of a recommendation.

Last edited:
This is going to make the week-long wait for Xenoblade 3 bearable

Excited for this game but not looking forward to waiting until the Friday afternoon delivery to play it

About what I expected the game, which is ultimately a 30 year old rpg, would do. It’s way more my style than Xenoblade though, so I’m fairly excited to pick it up.

Oh yeah, I'm keeping my preorder. Even if there's some quality gaps in certain stories, I can't pass up the sheer ambition here. Plus I'm hearing it all ties together spectacularly

Basically reviewing around what I expected it too. Jrpg fans on Switch are feasting like kings.

Curious to see how it plays compared to the original. I played the demo and can already say it's much better than the original, but now to try the full game.

Thanks for the review thread Mazi.

Yeah I’m gonna pick this up, old JRPGs remade in 2DHD is my jam and I’ve been curious about this one since they announced it. I like the sound of the variety in the mini-campaigns, that kind of playfulness with genre convention is really good for pacing.

And my Amazon order just shipped, nice. Should be here by tomorrow night. Gives me time to hopefully finish up the main campaign in Octo Expansion (if not outright 100% it) before diving in!

it's pretty much getting the same scores as other hd2d games and that's great, now it just needs to sell well.

Really want to play this, but I still need to finish Three Hopes, have only started Sunbreak, and Xenoblade is next week, and I aint putting that off

I'm sorry Live A Live, but you'll have to wait

Already shipped, preordered months ago, i'm not going to play It probably in months but wanted to have it knowing that It won't be reprinted.

I've tried the demo and It looks amazing, but Xenoblade 3 is my priority right now.

Also, It smells like a 200€ eBay game in 3 years.

I'll get it eventually but no clue when. I have this weekend essentially to finish my first run of Three Hopes with Xenoblade 3 next weekend and who knows how long that'll take me to finish as I dropped over 200 hours in Xenoblade 2 and 100 in Xenoblade DE. Then October has at least 2 games I'm getting and 2 potentially in November. Maybe September if I'm finished with Xenoblade 3. (Not to mention Three Hopes makes me want to play through Three Houses for a fifth run.) (And people keep talking about Metroid Dread making me want to play it again for a third time aren't helping either.)

Already shipped, preordered months ago, i'm not going to play It probably in months but wanted to have it knowing that It won't be reprinted.

I've tried the demo and It looks amazing, but Xenoblade 3 is my priority right now.

You took the words right out of my mouth. If work gets busy in the next week or I make other plans, I'll prioritize finishing Octo Expansion and starting Xenoblade 3 first, but this feels like something that's going to be worth a pretty penny physically in the future. Plus I want to support the devs - the game looked absolutely stunning in the Edo Japan chapter on my OLED TV, and I'll always support lovingly crafted remakes like this.

What makes you think that?

Just looked up Octopath switch physical prices and they are nothing crazy.

The other HD-2D game, Triangle Strategy, is on it way to be a platinum seller as well so a good number of copies should be out there.

Live A Live looks like a relatively high-profile JRPG release, and following the same marketing playbook, so I assume the print plans are similar to the above two titles

... Ya making me nervous here hahah, wasn't planning to cop immediately

"Repetitive combat and exploration pad out this wonderfully remastered cult JRPG experience that falls just short of a recommendation." (7/10)

I haven't read the review but it blows my mind that review scores are so inflated that a 7/10 isn't even a recommended game lol.

There shouldn't be much of an issue getting this game physical in the next few months right? Physical copies of the other Asano games are still readily available so I'm hoping it's the case with Live A Live

Imo, physical copies should be readily available for a while. I don't think the market will be flooded like the Mana collection, but it won't be super limited either.

Live A Live is probably a game that will get expensive years down the road, just not any time soon.

Imo, physical copies should be readily available for a while. I don't think the market will be flooded like the Mana collection, but it won't be super limited either.

Live A Live is probably a game that will get expensive years down the road, just not any time soon.
Yup. I’ve got enough backlog loaded I’m probably waiting to see if it’s on any deals by BF(probably along with MR Spark of hope and Gundam battle alliance)

There shouldn't be much of an issue getting this game physical in the next few months right? Physical copies of the other Asano games are still readily available so I'm hoping it's the case with Live A Live
During the first year or two it should be easy, but it being a budget release plus it seems that isn’t going to sell as much as the non remake titles might mean it will not get reprinted = high prices in the mid/long term

During the first year or two it should be easy, but it being a budget release plus it seems that isn’t going to sell as much as the non remake titles might mean it will not get reprinted = high prices in the mid/long term
If you’re US, the next Target B2G1F would probably be a good time to strike, should be september

Demo was good, but Xenoblade takes priority for me!

If only it came out a week earlier, I could see me getting through it in two weeks before Xeno but can't see myself finding the time now. Will definetely pick it up to play in the future

Didn't think too much of it since I'm not a Xeno fan, but man the sales damage from Xeno 3's release date move is Real ain't it 🤔

I'd be fascinated to know if there is a way to quantify or estimate it. At least Anecdotally from here and other forums the "cannibalization" is gonna be significant.

Didn't think too much of it since I'm not a Xeno fan, but man the sales damage from Xeno 3's release date move is Real ain't it 🤔
I think both games serve very different audiences, what with Xenoblade being a sprawling open-world RPG while LAL is a retro game that you can complete in about 20 hours. LAL will be fine.

I think both games serve very different audiences, what with Xenoblade being a sprawling open-world RPG while LAL is a retro game that you can complete in about 20 hours. LAL will be fine.
It pushed me back on LAL since spoilers aren’t something i stress on a 20+ year old game, and I can probably wait for a sale

Yeah I'm just going to get this game. Apparently it's not a long game and it honestly looks like a special game so I think I'd be doing a disservice not buying this game haha. Not sure when I will have time to play it but I will.

Back
Top Bottom