• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name |ST| Now, remember, your name is Joryu. Hello Joryu! ..... 彼はあなたと話していると思います!

Sumio Mondo

Lynchian
Pronouns
He/Him
pJlCn08.jpg

Publisher/Developer:​

sIt6C5x.png

CORjcW0.png

Platforms:​

Release Date:​

9th November 2023

Synopsis:

Taking place between the events of the titles Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (2016), Yakuza: Like a Dragon (2020) and Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth (2024), Like a Dragon Gaiden focuses on the series' original protagonist, Kazuma Kiryu, as he embarks on a new adventure in Osaka and Yokohama under the guise of a secret agent.

In Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name, players control Kazuma Kiryu as they explore the Sotenbori district of Osaka and Isezaki Ijincho district of Yokohama.

A third location, known as the Castle, is a hub area where players can participate in side activities. Minigames such as karaoke, Pocket Circuit racing, cabaret club, and fighting arena also return. A new character named Akame acts as an informant, providing Kiryu with sub-missions.

Characters:

fz5MpGl.jpg
bkafjdi.jpg

Tev3WUR.png

Tun8umg.png

was7vT5.png

ph8BXiR.png

rFXpnjc.png

aFs0DZ4.png

YowEexg.png

jqXQQra.jpg

Reviews:

OpenCritic
MetaCritic

Screens:

UwZmTYv.jpg

EuxD9E3.jpg

ga9lui2.jpg

Daytona USA 2 (first ever home port):

OY390s8.jpg

loiD6Je.jpg

td86Xv1.jpg

hSd1fmW.jpg

kKlKj0m.jpg

rkw8Bkk.jpg

Last edited:
That is a quality thread. I don't have much to add since I'm only now slowly working my way through the series again, only on 4, but I'll catch up eventually.

Love the OT. Haven't touched this series ever but would love for it to come to Switch (or Switch 2)

So the game was released early on Xbox via the New Zealand glitch, currently through the first two chapters plus a bit of the 3rd. It's great to far, feels pretty much exactly how you'd think a new Yakuza game would feel. Performance is excellent too, this is easily the best Kiryu has controlled in the Dragon Engine.

On another note, a lot of Infinite Wealth stuff was datamined from the demo, including what appears to be the entire OST. So be careful on that front, although it (mostly) doesn't seem to be spoiler heavy. The karaoke tracks look awesome though, they genuinely made a sequel to Baka Mitai lol

I’m an hour in but I’m gonna take my time and savour this, it’s so good. Combat is smooth as butter, music is great and I’m loving the story beats. So good.

Fantastic OT, and glad the world of RGG is being celebrated in Nintendo circles because it has a ton of overlapping appeal.

Stayed up to play a bit after midnight and really enjoyed the first hour. Feels different but familiar, and I love how far the dragon engine has come since 6.

Dreading the later story beats, but can't wait to dive in over the weekend. Sounds like the most relaxed platinum trophy also (I have the other 11 and they were hell).

I won't spoil, but the start of chapter two hit me super fucking hard. Something I was really really hoping would be included.

Just messing around Sotenbori before continuing with stuff for a bit now. Levelling up your abilities is tied to money like 0 but it's a bit harder to get money here of course. A couple of things I want to level up before continuing.

The city looks so good here though - I played through LaD last week but it's really just night and day - the lighting is so much better here.

Even without upgrades the combat is so fun, the best brawler has been imo.

I’m having a lot of fun just walking around town using the spider ability to grab treasure that’s out of reach too, there’s something satisfying about it

I'm downloading it but in the process of moving house so won't have time to play until the weekend. Good impressions though.

I started this tonight and played to the point you unlock the side quest system which is surprisingly far in. I played the series in PS4 release order so when I played Yakuza 6 I hadn’t played 3, 4, or 5 yet (and 2 as well iirc?). It’s really exciting to have one more adventure with Kiryu and he feels absolutely fantastic to control here. I did do some karaoke which was always fun (got a perfect score on Baka Mitai lol) and played a few Sega games and a UFO catcher as well. I’m juggling a bunch of games, but I’m eager to play more soon and see where the story goes.

This game is incredible. I am hooked from the instant it starts and I really did not want to turn off my series x after 2 hours. But such is the life of a salary man.

I have installed it on my rog ally now though. I'll play during the nights. I lovd cross play.

Done with chapter 1, two things:

- I love that they are still using that photo of Kiryu and the orphans all the way back from Yakuza 3;

- Of course Kashiwagi is sick when Kiryu drops by Survive lmaooo

The wire thing is super dumb but also super fun.

In chapter 2 for a bit, initial impressions

• Controls are buttery smooth. Kiryu just shreds through fools like it’s nothing.
  • Even on PS4 it’s a good looking game. Nothing to complain about performance at first.

Storywise

Seeing Kiryu-chan so bored out of his mind is unbecoming of him. Story is heading the way I expected.

Did chuckle that Kiryu heard from the homeless people that a frizzy haired Yakuza was sleeping in a tent; and that Kashiwagi was not available during their drink at the Survice bar.

Agent style feels really weird to play, but I guess its the main focus, because there are twice as many upgrades in that skill tree :confused:

Just beat the main campaign. Still got a lot of side content to do, and the Infinite Wealth demo as well, so I'll save my extended thoughts until then.

They really just looked at Aizawa in Yakuza 5 and said "yeah that shit made no sense, let's try again" and came up with Shishido. Really cool final fight, same as Aizawa's, and the story actually made sense this time. Felt a bit odd to cut things off right after that though, was hoping we'd get to fight Ichiban as Kiryu. That final scene was heartwrenching though, stellar performance by Kuroda. I'm gonna play the demo in English to get a feel for the English dub, but man is it gonna be hard to leave Kuroda's voice behind. Might stick with JP, despite playing 7 in English.

Also, are they really suggesting that Hanawa is Morinaga? That would fix one of Yakuza 5's biggest plotholes, when Aizawa was searching for Morinaga despite being involved in his death. If he was kidnapped and repurposed by the Daidoji, Aizawa would have a legit reason to go looking for him now. Would be a pretty clever bandaid for RGG, even if it doesn't completely fix 5's mess of a plot.

Also gotta wonder how the Daidoji will factor in to Infinite Wealth, they were pretty clearly teasing something with the conversation between Boss and the priest, and Shishido + Nishitani being kidnapped by them only further enforces that. Wonder if they'll end up returning, and what kinda shit Kiryu will inevitably do to the faction as a whole. Yoshimura is gonna get fucked up.

The Castle
is the sickest looking location in the whole series, and really leans into the batshit aspects of these games that juxtapose the realism so well.

I think this is in my top 3 RGG games ever at this point - I'm still only late in Chapter 2 (but have done a majority of the side stuff).

Story is really good - I love all the past references to stuff Kiryu's done before too.

Akame is great - Uika is a lot of fun in general and she's knocked the role out of the park. I hope she comes back in IW in some form.

The Colosseum is the most fun I've ever had with that mode too - being able to play as anyone is so good.

I didn’t get to play Thursday or Friday, but I picked up my playthrough yesterday and got some substantial time in. I was a little worried peeking at trophies the chapter count is so small, but I think I’ve been in chapter 2 for roughly six hours now and I’m still not done as there is a ton to do. I don’t have a great sense of what side content I’m interested in fully completing just yet especially as I haven’t been to the arena outside of the first time you have to go there (I’m currently sitting outside the second time for the story), but that’s fine. I’m not in a rush to complete this game at all, but I hope I get a sense soon for planning purposes.

The Colosseum is the most fun I've ever had with that mode too - being able to play as anyone is so good.
The coliseum was great except for one specific platinum battle that was SO frustrating given the time constraints. Must have retried it a dozen times, and playing on Beginner didn't make it any easier. Super fun otherwise.

I’m not in a rush to complete this game at all, but I hope I get a sense soon for planning purposes.
The game's story is 10-12 hours long, with the platinum taking about 25 hours. Mileage will vary, but it's a pretty condensed experience.

Overall, it's one of the stronger stories and a worthwhile experience. If you treat it as being Y6-2, the combined Y6 experience becomes top tier.

Last edited:
The coliseum was great except for one specific platinum battle that was SO frustrating given the time constraints. Must have retried it a dozen times, and playing on Beginner didn't make it any easier. Super fun otherwise.

The game's story is 10-12 hours long, with the platinum taking about 25 hours. Mileage will vary, but it's a pretty condensed experience.

Overall, it's one of the stronger stories and a worthwhile experience. If you treat it as being Y6-2, the combined Y6 experience becomes top tier.
Not sure if I’m doing everything yet, but I’m currently operating like I am and 25ish hours sounds perfect. Thanks!

About thirteen hours in, chapter 4.

Some impressions and story spoilers!

For the story, it does feel like an extended version of Song of Life. With Watase pulling a Daigo and the latter pulling the strings from the shadows, it’s going to be messy.

Its still fun though; Kiryu is hitting people like a dump truck and that never gets old.

Seeing old characters return made me chuckle. The baby play patriarch, Mr. Masochist, Gary Buster Holmes… even a cameo appearance by Kaito from Judgement is awesome. Coliseum with Majima, Saejima and Daigo gets super easy btw.

Its a good game: a love letter to Kiryu, but hopefully doesn’t overstay its welcome

I’m 20.5 hours in and barely entered Chapter 3 last night. I’m committed to going for the Platinum Trophy at this point and all I have left is the Colosseum / Arena stuff (which I’ve barely started) and the story left for trophies. I hadn’t played Pocket Circuit in the prior games (I don’t think I ever really stumbled on it? Yakuza 0 was my first Yakuza), so this was the big new to me minigame here and I had a good time with it. Enjoying the combat in the game a ton, but it feels like there is a smidge too much of it. I do appreciate the bigger groups of enemies however, I always felt the roving groups were too small in prior games especially with how quick you can tear through them.

Just finished the main story. It's been a long time since the last time (15 years-ish?) I cried at a video game. That ending is absolutely brutal. RGG waiting to release this game jut before Infinite Wealth was a good idea because I would've lost my goddamn mind. Definitely one of the biggest highlights of the series despite not being full-price and only half the length of the previous games.

Just finished the main story. It's been a long time since the last time (15 years-ish?) I cried at a video game. That ending is absolutely brutal. RGG waiting to release this game jut before Infinite Wealth was a good idea because I would've lost my goddamn mind. Definitely one of the biggest highlights of the series despite not being full-price and only half the length of the previous games.
I hear you there. I can usually get teary eyed at games... Shed a few tears but not, like, "cry". This was not a "teary eyed" moment for me. It actually did hit me really bad. I randomly decided to play "that funny Yakuza game" on PCSX2 in 2016 which is also the year I played Y3, so it was like
I really did see the kids grow up.
I started getting into the series then because a friend gave me his PS3 and I heard about the series and wanted to play in order). So the ending really hit me on how long I've been attached to these characters.

The game itself I'd say is maybe around a 7/10, though I did 1000G it on Xbox, but man, RGG writing can really show that it's some of the best in video games. It does have me very interested in playing Infinite Wealth but I'll hold off a bit due to it being $90 CAD.

I just beat Amon so I only have to finish Chapter 4 and the final chapter to get the Platinum. I have a free night ahead so it should happen :)

They got me with that ending hard. I thought LAD7’s was too much, but this one was perfect. Even before you get there, the last stretch I played was awesome. If it wasn’t prior, LAD Gaiden became one of my favorite games this year. Wow.

Just shy of 30 hours btw on my save file for the Platinum. Definitely over that with some reloading. I don’t plan to check out the LAD8 demo with the game so close.

I believe both the JP and Asia versions have English. Waiting on Amazon Japan to ship mine. I finished it digitally on Steam Deck and loved it. Infinite Wealth demo feels super good on Deck.

As a future Deck owner (hopefully...) this is good to hear. I'm seeing that Gaiden at High settings + FSR quality hangs above 40fps pretty much always, Infinite Wealth shouldn't be much different.

Just started chapter 3 and i'm already rank Platinum in the Colosseum. It's pretty fun, but i don't know if i'm going to bother going all the way through it. I'll probably mess around just to see all the different movesets though.

Sidequests are ok, but some of them are almost Yakuza 1 levels of basic, but i guess i should have expected it. At least the main story is pretty good, i knew they could make a game out of all the background stuff that was happening during Yakuza 7 main story and i'm glad they did.

As a future Deck owner (hopefully...) this is good to hear. I'm seeing that Gaiden at High settings + FSR quality hangs above 40fps pretty much always, Infinite Wealth shouldn't be much different.

Just started chapter 3 and i'm already rank Platinum in the Colosseum. It's pretty fun, but i don't know if i'm going to bother going all the way through it. I'll probably mess around just to see all the different movesets though.

Sidequests are ok, but some of them are almost Yakuza 1 levels of basic, but i guess i should have expected it. At least the main story is pretty good, i knew they could make a game out of all the background stuff that was happening during Yakuza 7 main story and i'm glad they did.

Gaiden feels like a weird blend of older Yakuza and the Judgment games in mechanics. The story is amazing, but I don't like that random padding in the middle for side quests. Either way, for 50 Euro, they delivered a ton here in mini-games and optional content in addition to story + demo.

I believe both the JP and Asia versions have English. Waiting on Amazon Japan to ship mine. I finished it digitally on Steam Deck and loved it. Infinite Wealth demo feels super good on Deck.

Ta, I might try and grab that physical release on PS5, these don’t look like they are coming to Switch anytime soon and I’ll be waiting for Steam Deck 2 before I get one of those me thinks

Rolled credits and got the plat after 40 hours today. Incredible game and easily my GOTY. Best finale and ending in the series, hit me so hard. It’s my equal third fave in the series next to 6 despite the shorter length.

Cannot wait for IW, the demo is super short but felt great. So happy it’s only two months away - and it’s releasing on a public holiday here in Australia so I’ll have the day to spend on it!

Twenty hours in, chapter 4, 68% of the trophies done… guess I’m heading towards the plat.

Aaaand completed! Plus the platinum trophy.

Saw some review quotes saying “oh did we need another Kiryu game?”. Honestly, probably not after the bittersweet ending of the Song of Life. Homelanderitwasperfectmeme.gif.

You know what Gaiden is? Like a farewell tour of a big artist, who decided that he’s okay with leaving showbizz behind. But he just wants to tour one last time. Sure it’s the classics we all know and love, we know what’s coming, doesn’t make it less enjoyable.

We get some namedrops, familiar faces, a few callbacks and we get to enjoy the ride with Kiryu one last time in his peak.

Some spoilers, things I enjoyed.

- Overall, it was a more compact game and that’s a good thing. Substories being missions you need to ask for with Akame was a bit weird, but, it makes it pretty easy to follow.

- Gutted that the Hostess minigame wasn’t the management one. The real life girls were super awkward btw. I mean the digital ones in previous games as well, but when it’s live actions it’s even weirder.

- While some might not like the brawler gameplay, it’s buttery smooth in Gaiden.

- Lots of greatest hits moments; Pocket Circuit, references to older LAD games, even in the arena we see familiar faces like Mr. Masochist popping up.

Btw the arena this time around was fun! The three fighter pack with Majima, Saejima and Daigo was broken and absolutely destroyed enemies. Although there are some broken characters there anyway out of those three. Chickenman anyone?

- Storywise I liked the game. Its not super original, but I had my fun with it. Supporting cast was great (liking Tsurono!).

- Who knocked it out of the park was Kuroda. Especially the ending, seeing two of the orphanage kids talking into the camera, being sure that Kiryu is still alive and telling him how everyone is doing… oh man. The animators put in some work, but the amount of emotion Kuroda put in making it believable. Not gonna lie, that stung. Poor lug was ugly crying and it was a beautiful ending.

The after credits ending was great too.

All in all, a solid entry really.

Last edited:
Like a Dragon games are the best at .aking me emotional, and this one too.

Yeah i was watching the ending and it suddenly started raining inside my room, what the heck was up with that????

I'm satisfied with the game overall, but the fact that it had most likely a very limited budget becomes more and more apparent as you go through the story

Shishido was a pretty cool fight with great coreography...but the pathos it's a bit lessened once you realise that you get to beat up this dude like 3 times during the course of a 20 hour long game.

Can't wait to play 8 in a couple of months!

Full thoughts, now that I've sat on it for a little while.

It's great! Not perfect, far from it, but it definitely justified both the price tag and its existence as a full game.
  • Story is a bit uneven, which is one of my bigger complaints. There's definitely three "acts" here, and the first two both feel a bit disjointed. The first act relies pretty heavily on the Daidoji side, which is kinda hard to get into considering how little time we actually spend with the Daidoji and Hanawa. Not to mention the whole "Kiryu is giving up everything for the orphanage" thing, when Kiryu is fighting the entire faction within the game's opening hours. Story feels a bit too comfortable in getting back into the standard Yakuza rhythm, which doesn't really hit considering the circumstances surrounding the Daidoji. It's not bad or anything, it's compelling enough to be more interesting than the second act, but that could've used some more work. Would've been cool to have a different feel to things entirely while Kiryu is with the Daidoji, only to then ease back into the standard Yakuza fare once he starts working with the Omi.
  • Second act was a bit weaker though, despite making more sense in terms of the actual story. Mostly due to Nishitani just not being all that interesting of a character. For as crazy as he is, there really isn't all that much too him: he's a psycho, and not much else. The plan to lure him out of the Castle was pretty cool, but taking over the Castle was pathetically easy and kinda robbed that whole segment a lot of its momentum. For as big of a threat he's made out to be, he's a bit of a pushover that adds basically nothing to the story beyond being an obstacle.
  • Final act kicked ass though. Shishido's betrayal makes sense and wasn't a particularly surprising twist, but he and Kiryu could've had some better moments to lead up to that to really land an impact. He's a lot better than Nishitani, but he still feels a bit detached from everything, which is unfortunate. Especially when Tsuruno was integrated into Kiryu's story so well. Final fights were sick as hell though, some of the best in the franchise. And that final scene is incredible, major props to Kuroda for such a convincing performance.
  • Combat was good, easily the best Kiryu's played in the Dragon Engine, but definitely a step back from the Judgment games. I think that's just how Kiryu's combat works more than anything, I dunno how they'd realistically make Gaiden play better beyond nerfing blades (which are incredibly obnoxious int his game). Agent is really fun on paper, and when it works its badass, but holding down buttons to employ gadgets is a lot more clunky than I thought it'd be, and as a result I barely used them. Yakuza style is as fun as always though.
  • Akame is great, and the Akame Network is a really fun way to do side content, but it definitely feels a bit light in terms of legitimate substories. There's a few strong ones: the orphanage, fake Ryujis, the AI chatbot, and of course the Judgment crossover were all standouts, but beyond that it was pretty bleh in the grand scheme of things. Too many recruitment and gang fight sidequests. The smaller quests were cool though, very nice addition.
  • Coliseum is also fun, but not particularly interesting. I never progressed far enough to get to the legacy boss gauntlet, but that's the type of stuff I wanted out of the coliseum, so it's cool that it's here. Not particularly interested in the generic fights, although getting to mess around as characters like Daigo or Saejima was really cool.

Overall, I'd give it an A-, 7th overall in my personal rankings. Behind Judgment, ahead of Kiwami.

Back
Top Bottom