• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Video game moments to cry to

juuso

Koopa

I cannot provide any other explanation than the clip itself, but if you want to share anything, please do. Also, tears of joy are just as welcome as sadness.

I'll admit to tearing up at only two moments in videogames;

Cortana sacrificing herself for Master Chief and saying goodbye at the end of Halo 4.
The end credits of Persona 5 Royal.

There's so much of them (I cry pretty easily, I confess), but in the last few years the one that hit the hardest for me were :

• Emil's sacrifice in Nier Replicant

• The ending from Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Arguably one of the best video games ending I've ever seen.

• Might be a bit personal, but the scene in Tales of Arise during which Shionne reveals the real reason for her quest. As someone who dealt with the same thoughts in my life, it felt incredibly on point and powerful. Still hard to watch without crying, even now.

Last edited:
The Yakuza drama always seems like it's too over the top to actually affect me, but still I always find myself holding back tears
It is frighteningly effective. There are a handful of moments in the franchise that hit me like a freight train of emotions. I am keeping myself ENTIRELY AWAY from ANY details about Gaiden or 8 but I juuuuust know both of those games are going to destroy me.

This will not make sense to anyone else but... When I played Mario and Luigi Partners in Time I was like 7 and I cried at the end when the babies went back to their correct time without grown up Mario and Luigi. I was inconsolable for like an hour because the babies would miss their older selves. This is a core memory of mine lmao.

From the ending of Yakuza 0.

D8CA2E97E1ACC1A3BA8C3777E2D35FBBB86780C6

IYKYK

Times I can think of:

Ending 2 of Nier Replicant
When it cuts to the past Nier and Yona back to how they were at the start of the game, it really messes me up.

Ending sequence of Xenoblade 2
The bridge and chasm scene as everyone realizes and accepts Pneuma’s sacrifice, especially “Poppi made promise” and Morag gently telling Rex “I’m so glad to have met all of you” as the music takes on a more grand tone and she and Brighid give their respects to Pneuma.

Ending of Mother 3
Everything about the final fight, but two moments in particular, when Hinawa says “you must be so tired, Clause. Come to your mother.” And then Flint’s line “Clause was just being hasty, that’s all. You’ll forgive you’re hasty brother, won’t you?”

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future ending almost got me, dayum.

Tears of the Kingdom last dive through the sky for Zelda, not for the sadness but for the epic feels.

Otherwise no, I haven't teared up in a game.

The Last Of Us Part II is generally pretty emotionally draining, but I found the ending particularly devastating.

(Spoilers, obviously, but also if you haven't played the game the lack of context to this scene will likely remove most of the emotion from it lol)

The ending of The Walking Dead season 1 is probably the first game to ever get me. The other seasons got me at points as well.

Both Last of Us games are others. FF16 got me a little as well.

Ending of Crisis Core. I don't know why exactly but it genuinely got me so much, like it absolutely destroyed me.

It’s this. It’s amazing how I went from despising Zack at the start of the game to crying like an absolute baby at the end.

I also cried at the end of FF7R, but for the exact opposite reason.

Oh boy. A Space for the Unbound has SEVERAL of these. Spoilers inbound.

• Admiral (best cat) getting ran over
  • Realizing who Raya actually is, and piecing everything together for the first time
  • Raya going off on Nirmala, her younger self, calling her a freak and blaming her for killing Atma
  • That fucking walk
  • The final goodbye between Atma and Nirmala
  • Realizing why the whole fantasy world exists. Trigger warning: Nirmala attempted to take her own life and had been in a coma the entire game.
  • Nirmala at the spot where Atma died, finally letting go

Xenoblade Chronicles doesn't matter which one. But especially Xenoblade Chronicles 3 put me in the emotional rollercoaster.

• Ending of Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
  • Ending of Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
  • Ending of Yakuza 0
  • Ending of Yakuza 6
  • Ending of Yakuza 7
  • Ending of NieR: Automata
  • Arthur’s Last Ride in Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Ending of Umineko
Probably a couple other things that got me to tear up, but those stand out as the major ones.

In Red dead Redemption 2, you spend the whole game with this character, as he works to redeem himself, become a better man. That scene fucking wrecked me, as they stare out at the sunset. I cried like a baby, my girlfriend tried to laugh at me but she was right there crying too

In the mass effect games I always romance Liara. Even though I’ve seen it a million times, Sheapard and Liara’s final good bye in 3 still makes me teary eyed. Shepard may want to run directly into harbinger, but I just want to chill out with my Blue space wife. While we are on the mass effect train, I also get teary eyed during Mordins Sacrafice on Tuchanka, and during Thanes death in Mass effect 3. Especially if you spent a lot of time talking to these characters in Mass Effect 2, it’s heart wrenching to see them overcome their mistakes and past trauma’s, and go out like heroes.

Another pick of mine is Super Mario Galaxy.

The ending of this game makes me cry every time. It’s a combination of your luma companion sacraficing himself, the gorgeous music, and the philosophical idea of death and rebirth. Its maybe the most beautiful ending a mario game has ever had, and i always cry.

I know it’s cliched at this point, but Aeriths death in ff7 genuinely did make me cry. By that point in the game, you have formed such a deep connection with her, with all your party members really, that losing any of them would have been a punch to the gut. But losing Aerith hurt like hell, in some ways her optimism is the glue that holds the party together. I hope they don’t remove this or change it in the remake, her death is as impactful as her life, and to change it out for another character, or remove it, would be to cheapen it

Last edited:
Red dead Redemption 2

You spend the whole game with this character, as he works to redeem himself, become a better man. That scene fucking wrecked, as they stair out at the sunset. I cried like a baby, my girlfriend tried to laugh at me but she was right there crying too
I'm 100% with you.

There are so many scenes in Red Dead 2's back half that qualify for this.

When I died to the first Goomba in Super Mario Bros, you better believe I was crying. It wasn't fair, I totally pressed that button...

Typically, when I feel like crying (as well as laughing and caring), I go to AMC Theatres. Somehow, heartbreak feels good in a place like that.

Serious answer: I tend to get pretty invested in stories, so if I care about the characters and narrative beats, it's not super hard to get an emotional response outta me. To name just a few games that've managed it: Shadow of the Colossus (that tragic ending hits me hard each time), Silent Hill 2 (Mary's letter in its entirety), Yakuza 0 (many moments, but especially that Kiryu and Nishiki scene), Life is Strange (again: many moments), and The Last of Us Part II (final boss and epilogue).

Even in gaming, storytelling is powerful. I've always felt fortunate to be able to engage with media and really feel it!
This scene from Yakuza 0 always gets me

From the ending of Yakuza 0.

D8CA2E97E1ACC1A3BA8C3777E2D35FBBB86780C6

IYKYK
The Last Of Us Part II is generally pretty emotionally draining, but I found the ending particularly devastating.

(Spoilers, obviously, but also if you haven't played the game the lack of context to this scene will likely remove most of the emotion from it lol)

Mary's letter in Silent Hill 2.
This thread knows what it's all about!

I cried this year after beating Fire Emblem 7. It was doing something I didn’t in my childhood and it felt like doing for my 13 year old self.

Multiple moments in both Ori games and at least one moment in Ghost Trick.

My kid self cried at the endings to the DS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games. I closed and hid my DS during the credits to Blue Rescue Team because I wanted to calm myself down before anyone walked into the room. Explorers of Sky hit me even harder, especially during the part where your partner breaks down crying on the beach and the music kicks in.

Also the obligatory mention of Mother 3's ending.

The ending of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Sad tears, then happy tears. Poppi ended me, that was a real punch to the gut.

No tears, but man several games really made me sad

Final Fantasy IX Ending

FF IX is a game where the characters contemplate their existence and goals in life, but when the ending rolled around… at first I didn’t notice it’s Vivi monologue and that he passed away.

But when those final words rolled around, shit hit me like bag of bricks.

The Walking Dead S1

The Final exchange between Lee and Clementine hurt like hell

The Last of Us

So many moments to choose from, from Sarah’s death, to Joel and Elly’s talk at the farm house, the moment that gripped me a lot was Sam’s death and Henry’s suicide. It was sad enough that Sam was infected and Henry shot him, but the pure terror, distress and grief that overtook Henry physically hurt me.

The Last of Us Part II

As mentioned above, there are way too many moment in this emotionally draining game; but Ellie leaving with absolutely nothing into the woods was devastating. No Joel, no Dina, no J.J. her hand badly injured… and a pointless quest for revenge.

Final Fantasy XV

While the game starts of rocky and the group dynamic was weird, in the final stretch of the game the bro’s are truly bro’s.

That final camp moment… it was beautiful

Damn. I’m having a hard time thinking of video game moments I’ve cried to. I’ve got several, but I can’t specifically mention anyone…

Hmm…

I think Quiet going away in MGSV is one. Her song is very powerful

- The ending of Persona 5/Royal, when you're walking around town saying goodbye to all the characters throughout the whole game while "Sunset Bridge" plays in the background, got me real good.

- A Space for the Unbound: I was seriously either tearing up, crying, or outright bawling my eyes out for like the entire last 1-2 hours of the game. It's so incredible.

- THE SCENE from Xenoblade Chronicles 3. You know the one. The leadup with the song, then the flute... all of it.

- Octopath Traveler 2: The end of Cassti's story. Soothing that character and realizing what it means... it was a lot.

Back
Top Bottom