• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Lego Horizon Adventures (PS5, PC and Switch, Holiday 2024)

PS5 owners certainly aren't going to buy this. Multiplatform with Nintendo makes sense.

This is such a weird cross-over. Who is the demographic for this? Kids who like Lego probably aren't Horizon fans, the IP isn't big enough. And most Horizon fans are probably not gonna buy a "kiddie" Lego game.
Zero Dawn sold over 23 million copies, Forbidden West over 8 million copies.

And I think enough people can appreciate a Horizon game with a lighter tone. I think we have passed the kiddie time. Seems like a nice expansion of their line-up.

PS5 owners certainly aren't going to buy this. Multiplatform with Nintendo makes sense.

This is such a weird cross-over. Who is the demographic for this? Kids who like Lego probably aren't Horizon fans, the IP isn't big enough. And most Horizon fans are probably not gonna buy a "kiddie" Lego game.
Horizon series is huge though. The first game is over 20 million copies and Forbidden West must be getting close to 10 million

This crossover is already odd. Seeing it come to switch is cool lol
the crossover isn't odd when you consider the Tallneck Lego set.

76989_alt1.png

No weirder than putting Link in Mario Kart.

The Lego games, I don't think, have a kiddie branding. They have a "family" branding, sure, but there is a reason the best selling Lego games are adaptations of movies popular with 40 year old dads (Skywalker Star Wars movies, Lord of the Rings). And the Playstation brand used to be much broader than the "sad dad simulator" they've fallen into lately

Between this and Astrobot, it feels like Sony trying to get back to that broader Playstation branding, and to develop a "Sony family of characters" that can appear in lots of places, even if genre and tone radically changes.

No "Sony just shot themselves in the foot" posts yet? Jeesh.
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about PlayStation culture (I'm an expert), but mature and serious games are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on Nintendo systems where you can become successful by being a colourful kiddy game. If you screw someone over with PlayStation, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the PlayStation public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Lego Horizon Adventures for any system, nor will they purchase any of Sony's other colourful games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire fanbase with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and cancel Lego Horizon for all systems or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I don't think this is a lego mandate this is Sony trying to grow their IP on a console where Lego games sell really good

Also if we follow the way the press has covered Microsoft games going third party I assume we'll get a lot of is astrobot coming to switch articles ect ect ... Yeah right 😂

Hey, let’s start the “Aloy in Smash leaks/rumors”.

Also. I always forgot how popular the Lego games are. I wonder if Nintendo is planning a Lego game too. They got a lot of stuff with Lego going on. (Probably a tiny reason why the Horizon LEGO game isn’t too shocking for switch). Mario or Zelda maybe

Anyways. Looks cute.

Is there not a PS4 version? If not, why?

Well here we are, small tastes of exclusive IPs in an actual game release from Sony on a Nintendo platform. A step forward from outfits/skins in Fortnite and such.

I don't necessarily expect the flood gates to open. But spin offs and GaaS titles definately seem possible, especially when the Switch 2 will make ports easier. This makes me suspect that maybe a portable PS4/pro handheld may not be in the works. Maybe. Or as other's said it could be lego wanting a broader audience and Nintendo being a great platform for lego.

I wonder what the balance for smaller releases on competing platforms and cultivating and maintaining your own walled garden (where Sony gets a nice cut of 3rd party sales) will end up being. From my perspective Xbox seems to have mostly conceded and most games will be multiplat, but they seem to be keeping that underwraps a bit in case the Nextbox ends up very strong and they are able to rebuild their garden (and also do the PC + gamepass service thing).

Seems like a thing where you can have some of your cake and eat some of it too, if you balance it well enough. Sony certainly has a lot more to lose than Microsoft does.

And then there's Nintendo, who will be the last company to do anything like that. I actually think that actually may eventually dip there toes slightly, maybe a decade after they get a some PS4+ tier dev cycles themselves. And even then maybe only some retro games, and much smaller titles. But it will be a cold day in heck. Really all the evidence currently points to the opposite, no fortnite skins, less mobile projects etc. When you have the top selling platform you don't really need to cross-promote like that.

No weirder than putting Link in Mario Kart.

The Lego games, I don't think, have a kiddie branding. They have a "family" branding, sure, but there is a reason the best selling Lego games are adaptations of movies popular with 40 year old dads (Skywalker Star Wars movies, Lord of the Rings). And the Playstation brand used to be much broader than the "sad dad simulator" they've fallen into lately

Between this and Astrobot, it feels like Sony trying to get back to that broader Playstation branding, and to develop a "Sony family of characters" that can appear in lots of places, even if genre and tone radically changes.
I don't think the niche adult Lego demographic is enough to carry a game's sales.

Well, then I guess there is no reason that it's on Switch? I suppose this was an accident.
Sony's hand was forced just like with their baseball game.
Xbox games are on PlayStation as well.
Are Microsoft and Sony not in direct competition in the console market?

Zero Dawn sold over 23 million copies, Forbidden West over 8 million copies.

And I think enough people can appreciate a Horizon game with a lighter tone. I think we have passed the kiddie time. Seems like a nice expansion of their line-up.
Zero Dawn was heavily discounted for a ton of its life. Forbidden West had the privilege of being one of the first PS5 games.

gonna be hilarious when this game sells most on Switch especially in Japan.
Order the best gourmet popcorn you can find on the internet.
It'll be one for the ages.

gonna be hilarious when this game sells most on Switch especially in Japan.
Order the best gourmet popcorn you can find on the internet.
It'll be one for the ages.
definitely a decision made with those expectations in mind. the internet, though...put on your armor

When Nintendo gave Sony the Zelda movie they were like "okay but only if you make a LEGO Horizon game with a Switch port" and that's why this game exists.

I wonder if assuming Switch isn't the baseline version, if then Tantalus is on the Switch port, why? Because not only did they apparently do the Switch, PS4, and XBO ports of LEGO 2K Drive, but like Studio Gobo, are also owned by Keywords. Plus it's Tantalus, I think they know the Switch, their experience on the system some may say, is skyward. ;)

Horizon series is huge though. The first game is over 20 million copies and Forbidden West must be getting close to 10 million
Pretty extreme drop in sales but it makes sense. Still great numbers! I'm glad. Wonder if Zelda will drop down to 10 mil again next gen. Hard to keep insane sales like that. ToTK did 20 mil though! I imagine it will do worse on Switch 2 though. We'll see.

Probably will pick this up.

Could this mean we are getting a Lego Zelda?

Last edited:
Pretty extreme drop in sales but it makes sense. Still great numbers! I'm glad. Wonder if Zelda will drop down to 10 mil again next gen. Hard to keep insane sales like that. ToTK did 20 mil though! I imagine it will do worse on Switch 2 though. We'll see.
If they continue making hyped trailers.

But i feel like NG Zelda selling point will be living in a word that's completely lived in and not the post apocalyptic world of Botw and exploring a hyrule that's in its peaked, would be compelling.

Like i wouldn't be surprised if the Zelda Movie will either make Zelda becoming into a cultural icon, similar to Dune or Lotr but we have to wait and see.

Probably will pick this up.

Could this mean we are getting a Lego Zelda?
wait..what?!
my heart

Sony's hand was forced just like with their baseball game.
Xbox games are on PlayStation as well.
Are Microsoft and Sony not in direct competition in the console market?
Tesla and Kia both make cars, but are they in direct competition? No one in the market for a Tesla is seriously considering a Kia Sedona instead of it. And vice versa, if you need an affordable minivan, you're not considering an all electric sports car.

90% of Sony and Microsoft's potential customers are the same - people who only play on their TV, people who want the best way to play Call of Duty and GTA, people who want to play cinematic Sad Dad Simulators. That's why they keep fighting over buying the same sets of studios.

No one who wants the best place to play CoD is choosing Switch. No one who wants to play handheld is choosing Playstation. Because of that, if Sony puts a game on Xbox, they're giving players a reason to not buy a Playstation. There are no serious contingent of players who would buy a Playstation, but won't now because Lego Horizon Adventures has a 720p 30fps Switch version.

Sony's hand hasn't been forced, they're more profitable than ever. The PS5 is selling just as well as the PS4. They're not putting this game on Switch because Nintendo has "won," they're doing it because it opens them up to a second set of customers who would buy this but would never buy a PS5. Dollars to Donuts that Horizon Forbidden West would sell better on PS5 than it ever would on Switch, but that this game will sell better on Switch than on PS5.

That's what I meant. Just because two companies make game consoles doesn't mean they're fighting over the same customer base.

Stop doing that.

I don't care for Elder Scrolls at all, but I'd be childish to say that the series is "mid". If you don't care for a certain series that's fine, but keep fact and opinion apart please.
the series quality is mid. I don't see die-hard horizon fans anywhere

Maybe. But i don't think they will go that far. Maybe Nintendo and Sony can do a trade and each release game.
It will be the same deal as the one between Nintendo and Microsoft:
Microsoft publishes games on Nintendo consoles whereas Nintendo doesn't publish games on Xbox consoles.
SIE is already publishing games on Switch with the MLB The Show releases.

horizon is an extremely successful ip, no one can deny that.
For sure. I don’t love them tbh, I think they are bloated and frankly alloy isn’t very interesting of a character to me. Part of me misses killzone as well. But they are undeniably beautiful and fun to play games. So even though I think the story and characters are pretty bland, I did platinum both titles because the gameplay itself was good and the world was pretty

Tesla and Kia both make cars, but are they in direct competition? No one in the market for a Tesla is seriously considering a Kia Sedona instead of it. And vice versa, if you need an affordable minivan, you're not considering an all electric sports car.

90% of Sony and Microsoft's potential customers are the same - people who only play on their TV, people who want the best way to play Call of Duty and GTA, people who want to play cinematic Sad Dad Simulators. That's why they keep fighting over buying the same sets of studios.

No one who wants the best place to play CoD is choosing Switch. No one who wants to play handheld is choosing Playstation. Because of that, if Sony puts a game on Xbox, they're giving players a reason to not buy a Playstation. There are no serious contingent of players who would buy a Playstation, but won't now because Lego Horizon Adventures has a 720p 30fps Switch version.

Sony's hand hasn't been forced, they're more profitable than ever. The PS5 is selling just as well as the PS4. They're not putting this game on Switch because Nintendo has "won," they're doing it because it opens them up to a second set of customers who would buy this but would never buy a PS5. Dollars to Donuts that Horizon Forbidden West would sell better on PS5 than it ever would on Switch, but that this game will sell better on Switch than on PS5.

That's what I meant. Just because two companies make game consoles doesn't mean they're fighting over the same customer base.
it's Friday night and i'm already too drunk to put up a good fight but i will say this.
Everyone can be only one person doing a thing at a given time. We can't be multiple people playing multiple video game consoles at the same time.
Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony,whoever are in competition for our time spent. They are competing for our time and money spent doing a thing.
I see your argument all over the gaming sphere on how Nintendo is excluded from competing directly with Microsoft and Sony for reasons..even though they are directly the three main players in the console space.
Nintendo does the unique so they are exempt from the competition?
What if all three were unique in the gaming space?
Then none of them would be competing?
Somehow another thing that should not be complicated has been made to be complicated via the internet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom