• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Lego Horizon Adventures (PS5, PC and Switch, Holiday 2024)

Never played Horizon, but always thought the creature designs were interesting. They look kinda cool in Lego form. I might be interested in this game.
The creature design is definitely some of the best part about the game/gameplay!

It makes sense to port it on Switch considering the fact that Lego games' sales are like 80% on it.
i suspect they are making a push to get kids and families onto PS5 with this year's Sony Holiday slate being Astro and lego - right in time for a little price cut alongside the new PS5 Pro, so getting Horizon onto Switch (perhaps when they are considering a Switch 2 in 2025 or that its time to get a new console after 7 years... they might get a PS5 instead/also) so it makes some sense in a way without it being a Lego specific thing

i suspect they are making a push to get kids and families onto PS5 with this year's Sony Holiday slate being Astro and lego - right in time for a little price cut alongside the new PS5 Pro, so getting Horizon onto Switch (perhaps when they are considering a Switch 2 in 2025 or that its time to get a new console after 7 years... they might get a PS5 instead/also) so it makes some sense in a way without it being a Lego specific thing
According to some posts on reddit the reason it's on Switch is because Lego demanded it like MLB wanted The Show to go multiplatform. I don't know if it's true, but if the game is co-funded by Lego it makes perfect sense to push for a Switch release considering Lego games sell like hotcakes on it.

According to some posts on reddit the reason it's on Switch is because Lego demanded it like MLB wanted The Show to go multiplatform. I don't know if it's true, but if the game is co-funded by Lego it makes perfect sense to push for a Switch release considering Lego games sell like hotcakes on it.
I think Reddit have no idea what they're talking about, but sure it's certainly possible Lego wanted it multiplatform - I think Sony see some upside to having their IP on Switch though - as always it's likely a confluence of things, but pretty clear between Astro and Horizon Lego they are targeting families this holiday when they are likely going to have a price cut/new hardware so you know... wins for all I imagine (not saying it's going to undercut Switch 2 or anything, but it could get a few families to consider PS5 for Xmas)

Nintendo had Lego city undercover exclusivity for years on Wii U and 3DS however šŸ¤”

Looks fun and a very smart move to put it on Switch considering that's where a lot of Lego games make their money. Whether it's contractual or not I don't know but it makes a lot of sense.
Zero Dawn was heavily discounted for a ton of its life. Forbidden West had the privilege of being one of the first PS5 games.
Some people will do anything to downplay the success of games they don't like, huh.

Like every other Musou game is multiplatform but the ones that are co-productions with a first party. This is an unusual thing.
It just means Sony is fine with it while Nintendo isn't.

Isn't the first time either since MS and Sony were fine with Master Chief and Kratos being in Fortnite even if it meant those characters will be on other consoles even the Switch while Nintendo wasn't with Samus.

Nintendo wasn't going to put a Nintendo Musou or Rabbids spinoff on anything else.

If people want to sit and expect Astro Bot a mainline game coming to Switch 2 then by all means sit and wait lol.

It will come to PC though.

Okay first, even with the leak/rumor of this game, absolutely N O T H I N G could have prepared me for seeing the Switch logo at the bottom of the screen by the end. I don't care what anyone says, it was completely mindblowing seeing some form of a first party Sony IP coming to Nintendo Consoles.

Second, I keep seeing "b-but it's a Lego game, they had to put it on Switch!! They want it in front of as many eyes as possible!". Okay, no Xbox though? No Gamepass? This feels like a very conscious decision on Sony's part and let's be real, this is the equivalent of Lego Zelda coming to PS5. Do you really think that would happen? I don't believe you can downplay how surprising this is, no matter what rationale is used. Sony could have just said no, not gone through with making a Lego game of a first party Sony franchise, could have drawn the line in the sand, but they didn't.

The big question is, why Nintendo Switch and not Xbox? Is it because Sony is in more direct competition with them (Xbox)?

The floodgates are finally opened, and Sony's first-party franchises are slowly starting to seep into the Nintendo ecosystem.

In fact, this has been happening ever since the launch of the Nintendo Switch in 2017, as Sony has been releasing first-party games for the console through its subsidiary known as Sony Unties. However this news is going to be bigger story.

Ports of Demon's Souls and Bloodborne (with support for higher resolutions and removal of the 30fps cap) for Switch 2 next please Sony, thanks.

I'll buy them at a high price.

Okay first, even with the leak/rumor of this game, absolutely N O T H I N G could have prepared me for seeing the Switch logo at the bottom of the screen by the end. I don't care what anyone says, it was completely mindblowing seeing some form of a first party Sony IP coming to Nintendo Consoles.

Second, I keep seeing "b-but it's a Lego game, they had to put it on Switch!! They want it in front of as many eyes as possible!". Okay, no Xbox though? No Gamepass? This feels like a very conscious decision on Sony's part and let's be real, this is the equivalent of Lego Zelda coming to PS5. Do you really think that would happen? I don't believe you can downplay how surprising this is, no matter what rationale is used. Sony could have just said no, not gone through with making a Lego game of a first party Sony franchise, could have drawn the line in the sand, but they didn't.

The big question is, why Nintendo Switch and not Xbox? Is it because Sony is in more direct competition with them (Xbox)?
No audience, Xbox is quickly becoming irrelevant and someone at Sony thought it'd be funny to skip it (and they were right)

I have to be honest, I've never played a Horizon game, but I am really interested in this. I'm a big Lego fan and I like the way this game looks from a gameplay perspective. I know this would be a really weird entry point to the Horizon series but I kinda want it.

This is genuinely more interesting to me than any other Horizon game. Call it fanboyism because this is a Nintendo forum but I really did give Zero Dawn a chance, but after 10 hours I was bored of the gameplay and the plank of wood MC (There were story reasons for that but it didn't make Aloy any less boring).

I really like seeing them have fun with the character and world here, and the trailer was genuinely funny. I won't be playing it myself as I have no attachment to the IP but it's nice to see new Lego games again after Traveler's Tales disappeared for a few years to work on Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga (and are apparently doing the same thing again but with Harry Potter now. Tragic).

I have to be honest, I've never played a Horizon game, but I am really interested in this. I'm a big Lego fan and I like the way this game looks from a gameplay perspective. I know this would be a really weird entry point to the Horizon series but I kinda want it.
the system is working as Sony intended

well it is its own based story for kids so it isn't like you need to be versed in Horizon to even play it

more like its own entry point for newcomers

Since Guerilla is co-developing, I would assume this game is using the Decima engine? Looking forward to the tech breakdowns of the game.

Switch offers the potential to introduce a Sony IP to younger audiences (and being wrapped in the form of Lego certainly accentuates this). I suspect that Sony/Playstation is aware of the risk of a slow death via unfavorable demographic change.
Xbox offers jack fucking shit with regards to potential long term audience growth.

No audience, Xbox is quickly becoming irrelevant and someone at Sony thought it'd be funny to skip it (and they were right)
The concept of this is hilarious to me (being serious), like the thought of Sony having that thought. I guess there is a non zero chance though that that was the case!

Switch offers the potential to introduce a Sony IP to younger audiences (and being wrapped in the form of Lego certainly accentuates this). I suspect that Sony/Playstation is aware of the risk of a slow death via unfavorable demographic change.
Xbox offers jack fucking shit with regards to potential long term audience growth.

I suppose that is true, I can't say it's wrong at all and it is a good idea. I just think it's crazy we've gotten to this point in the industry! Xbox is the only console I don't own, but I suppose I thought maybe game pass would also be a good way to introduce it to a wider audience, but at this point, they may be valuing sales over eyes, which I can understand!

Just a crazy time to be a gamer, we've come a long way!

The concept of this is hilarious to me (being serious), like the thought of Sony having that thought. I guess there is a non zero chance though that that was the case!

I suppose that is true, I can't say it's wrong at all and it is a good idea. I just think it's crazy we've gotten to this point in the industry! Xbox is the only console I don't own, but I suppose I thought maybe game pass would also be a good way to introduce it to a wider audience, but at this point, they may be valuing sales over eyes, which I can understand!

It's still very strange to use a Lego version of Horizon as an entry point to lure in new fans. I never played Horizon 1, but Horizon 2 came with my PS5 and I bounced off of it hard after just a couple of hours. I don't really see a Lego game doing anything to change my opinion of the mainline titles.

It's still very strange to use a Lego version of Horizon as an entry point to lure in new fans. I never played Horizon 1, but Horizon 2 came with my PS5 and I bounced off of it hard after just a couple of hours. I don't really see a Lego game doing anything to change my opinion of the mainline titles.
I dunno, I kind of see LEGO Horizon as being... a new take that could almost be seen as its own thing in isolation. Chief example being Aloy actually having a fun personality really leveraging Ashley's comedic side ala Molly McGee. :p

Like I can see me playing this, loving it, and be content with it as my default and likely "preferred" form of Horizon, and then maybe give the main games at shot if I ever get the opportunity. But they seem to be different flavors of the same IP, and how you view and prefer which is entirely up to you. I can legit see folks absolutely see this as the "definitive" Horizon experience if it's good enough. Maybe a game with co-op and a colorful and upbeat sense of humor is just what the doctor ordered, rather than the big open world hunting games. That's the miracle of differing tastes, there's no "right" or "wrong" opinion in that sort of way.

I'm not sure if Xbox would even really be a 'wider' audience. Playstation and Xbox largely fight over the same crowd, in the greater picture. Then you add the fact that Xbox continues to have a far smaller userbase compared to Playstation in general.
Yea, an Xbox release might pick up a few bucks in the short term (but not all that much, considering Xbox also training said userbase to not buy as much). But there would be no long term upside here. I think that trading in part of that long term 'exclusivity' allure of the IP would be a net loss here (emphasis on theoretical Xbox port specifically) for Playstation.
Totally fair, but I also think that people like you, me, or...anybody old enough to be discussing on messageboards aren't really the target for the long term play here.

Let's get the short term upside out of the way first. Switch has a big userbase, including plenty of the kids. Lego games do great on Nintendo systems. Boom, you can probably expect a quick infusion of sales here. We all know that. Moving on...

So, there was some interview with Mat Piscatella (his relevance here is his job affords him access to US consumer spending data) within the past month. It was with some dude named Kyle Bosman, and we apparently have a thread dedicated to him here. So you should be able to find that interview there.
The points that he made that are relevant here is:
The younger generation (of the USA, at least) 1. do not prioritize graphics the way previous generations do/did, and 2. are moving towards games like Fortnite/Minecraft/Roblox/GTA6.
That is what I refer to by 'unfavorable demographic change'. If Playstation simply continues (and only) doing what they've been doing, they are at risk of losing the ability to pull in new people at a sufficient rate to counter the natural attrition of their existing base.

I think that a potential long term upside for this sort of move is for the IP to make an impression on some little kiddos. And when they grow up to be the next generation with disposable income, maybe some of them will have that nostalgia itch for Horizon and spend some of that cash to scratch said itch. Maybe even get into the Playstation ecosystem.
I am not saying that this specifically is a high percentage play. What's of greater importance is that while Playstation is secure in the short term, they should keep an eye on the medium and long term. They should be aware of what the battle of tomorrow is, and they should act accordingly. And I interpret something like this as an attempt in the right direction. At least try to fight for the attention of future generation(s).

Last edited:
If this price at $60, it's not acceptable for only 7 hours of gameplay. Maybe at $40 or $30

ā€œFor us, itā€™s super exciting to make a Nintendo game for the first time, right?ā€ Symons told me. He said that, rather than make the game for PS5 and scale it down, both versions were made simultaneously. ā€œWe do it actually all at the same time, in parallel, so we have a dedicated team of engineers optimizing all this for Switch, but it will be exactly the same.ā€
While Horizon Lego Adventures feels specially designed with the Switch in mind, it will have some bells and whistles on its home platform of PS5, including a 60fps performance mode. Thereā€™s also a bevy of customization options with light settlement-building mechanics and costumes from other Lego franchises and themed sets that can be unlocked over the course of the game. The main campaign runs about eight hours and Symons promised post-story content and other unlockables would keep players busy beyond that.
And finally, does this new partnership mean Aloy might eventually come to the next Super Smash Bros.? ā€œThatā€™d be nice. If you speak to Nintendo and they want to invite us let me know.ā€

Back
Top Bottom