• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Kung Fu Panda 4 ISTI "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present"

entut1

Bob-omb
Pronouns
he/him

DREAMWORKS ANIMATION presents

Featuring the voice talents of:

JACK BLACK as Po, a panda who became a kung fu master

AWKWAFINA as Zhen, a crafty corsax fox

BRYAN CRANSTON as Li Shan, Po's long-lost biological father

JAMES HONG as Mr Ping, Po's adoptive father

KE HUY QUAN as Han, the Leader of the Den of Thieves

with DUSTIN HOFFMAN as Shifu, Po's kung fu teacher

and VIOLA DAVIS as The Chameleon, the new main villain

Written by JONATHAN AIBEL & GLENN BERGER and DARREN LEMKE

Produced by REBECCA HUNTLEY

Directed by MIKE MITCHELL, with the help of co-director STEPHANIE MA STINE

What is Kung Fu Panda?

Kung Fu Panda is an action-comedy franchise that started in 2008. It mainly follows Po, a panda, in his emotional journey as a kung fu student then kung fu master. The series has been praised over the years for its respect of Chinese culture, its tremendous action scenes and character moments.

Where can the first three movies be watched through legal means?

The first three movies can be rented or purchased online, with KFP3 being available on Netflix in the US. Select AMC theaters are also currently re-releasing the OG trilogy in theaters.

Story recap:

After three death-defying adventures defeating world-class villains, which led him to mastering trials of body, mind and soul...

...Po reunites in the Spirit Realm with Master Oogway, the kung fu master who saw in Po, a simple cook, the possibility of becoming the Dragon Warrior and his true successor. A possibility that came fully to fruition long after Oogway died and went to the Spirit Realm. In there, Oogway gives Po the Staff of Wisdom, an artifact allowing Po to return to the mortal realm, and a proof of Po's mastery of chi, a chinese/japanese term that can be translated to "flow of natural energy".

What's next?

Since he's back to the mortal realm, Po's been entirely tackling on threats that he's familiar with. Master Shifu thinks it's time for him to pass the mantle of Dragon Warrior to somebody else and to take on the next step of his journey, becoming the Spiritual Leader, the role which Oogway occupied before his death. Po isn't exactly familiar with the duties required by the matter and he really likes being the Dragon Warrior.

01.jpg
04.jpg

On the other hand, a new threat to Po's homeland, the Valley of Peace, has emerged: the Chameleon, a shape-shifting sorceress who has her eyes set on Po's Staff of Wisdom for nefarious purposes. To find her, Po enrolls the help of Zhen, a corsac fox as crafty as she is morally dubious.

07.jpg
05.jpg
03.jpg

Release date information:

Releasing in theaters March 8 in the US, with select theaters doing screenings on March 6/7. Late February/Early March/Late March releases in international markets.

Review information:

Social embargo ends March 3. Review embargo ends March 6, 12pm ET. There are already a few worthwhile reviews on Letterboxd if you're interested.

Spoiler policy:

Giving your opinion on the movie when it comes to animation, story, characters and arcs doesn't require spoiler tags. However, when talking about any plot points/characters not revealed by the trailer, please use spoiler tags.

Last edited:
let's rank Furious Five members:
  1. Mantis
  2. Monkey
  3. Viper
  4. Tigress
  5. Crane
Surprised by Tigress being so low. It always felt like she got the bulk of the character stuff out of the five in the series. Granted, Mantis has the best jokes:

"Honestly, guys, I never thought I'd die like this. I always thought I'd meet a nice girl and settle down and...then she'd eat my head. So sad."

Doesn't seem they're much in this new installment (altho tbf they were already pretty de-emphasized in 3). The focus seem to be on Po, Li Shan, Ping, and new characters.

Last edited:
One question, the quote in the thread title, how was it translated into other languages? And does the "pun" between present and gift work in your language?

I'm a Portuguese speaker and it worked very well here, since we use "presente" as gift perhaps even more than Americans.

Kung Fu Panda 1 and 2 are legitimately my favorite movies of all time. Unfortunately 3 wasn't on their level and I'm not expecting 4 to be either, but still excited to go see this in theaters. If nothing else, I know it'll be a feast for the eyes!

Granted, Mantis has the best jokes
My favorite Mantis line is "I wish my mouth was bigger"

Kung Fu Panda 1 and 2 are legitimately my favorite movies of all time. Unfortunately 3 wasn't on their level and I'm not expecting 4 to be either, but still excited to go see this in theaters. If nothing else, I know it'll be a feast for the eyes!

I think 3 suffers most from an humor going overboard to the point some emotional moments don't work quite as well as intended (a lot of the time the humor will come in less organically or undercut an emotional bit). Kai is a fine antagonist (in good part due to J.K. Simmons' voice performance), but he isn't as baked into the plot as Shen or Tai Lung nor is he as interesting.

I think 3 suffers most from an humor going overboard to the point some emotional moments don't work quite as well as intended (a lot of the time the humor will come in less organically or undercut an emotional bit). Kai is a fine antagonist (in good part due to J.K. Simmons' voice performance), but he isn't as baked into the plot as Shen or Tai Lung nor is he as interesting.
3 felt like fanfic to me, and a lot smaller in scale compared to the epic 1 and 2. And I agree about Kai, didn't love him

New piece of marketing in which the series continues the bit of parodying movies they came out nearby (in this case, Dune). KFP3 had a promo that was related to Force Awakens a bit too. If you wanna go blind, avoid. Some cameos are spoiled.

saw it last night, will need another viewing to fully formulate my opinion. but one thing i can say right now is the score for this movie is pretty great. losing john powell for kung fu panda 3 was a huge misfire. 3’s soundtrack had a couple good songs but i feel like hans zimmer on his own (or whatever ghost writer he has that production) doesn’t produce the greatest melodies. john powell isn’t back for kung fu panda 4 still but hans got another collaborator for the soundtrack and it shows. really fun songs in here.

I found this pretty meh unfortunately. Maybe similar level to 3?

Nothing really got the buildup it needed. Everything felt so rushed and unearned. Script felt hokey. Movie felt small, like a TV episode. And the budget cuts on the cast showed, goddamn. Aside from the obvious Furious Five omission, not a single line from Shen or Kai. You'd think Po would react to them a bit more. Speaking of, them just following along and bowing to Po at the end? Like I said, nothing felt earned. So convenient.

On the points of everything feeling rushed, and the unsubtle sidelining of the Furious Five: Shifu trying to shove Po into the spiritual leader role in a single day was wack. With interviews for the vacant dragon warrior spot, starring some randos no less? Didn't Shifu agonize forever waiting for the previous dragon warrior, with the Furious Five having trained for years in preparation? Now they're not even part of it? What? Did the writers just forget how big of a deal it's supposed to be

I'd criticize it for being extremely predictable, but then I guess so were all the other movies lol. But even some stuff that could've served as a neat twist was squandered. What's the point of the opening with fake Tai Lung if Zhen is just gonna come out and spoil the mystery? Really undercut the Chameleon's entrance. If the writers weren't cowards they would've served up an actual twist and redeemed Tai Lung as the next dragon warrior!!! His dialog and mini character arc were the only semi non-cliché parts of this movie

And yeah yeah kids movie, I'm taking it too seriously. But 1 and 2 are straight up my favorite movies and just so, so good. They weren't just kids movies, they were legitimately great for all ages. And didn't feel cheap or trite in the slightest. Guess they are fated to remain in a tier of their own

I found this pretty meh unfortunately. Maybe similar level to 3?

Nothing really got the buildup it needed. Everything felt so rushed and unearned. Script felt hokey. Movie felt small, like a TV episode. And the budget cuts on the cast showed, goddamn. Aside from the obvious Furious Five omission, not a single line from Shen or Kai. You'd think Po would react to them a bit more. Speaking of, them just following along and bowing to Po at the end? Like I said, nothing felt earned. So convenient.

On the points of everything feeling rushed, and the unsubtle sidelining of the Furious Five: Shifu trying to shove Po into the spiritual leader role in a single day was wack. With interviews for the vacant dragon warrior spot, starring some randos no less? Didn't Shifu agonize forever waiting for the previous dragon warrior, with the Furious Five having trained for years in preparation? Now they're not even part of it? What? Did the writers just forget how big of a deal it's supposed to be

I'd criticize it for being extremely predictable, but then I guess so were all the other movies lol. But even some stuff that could've served as a neat twist was squandered. What's the point of the opening with fake Tai Lung if Zhen is just gonna come out and spoil the mystery? Really undercut the Chameleon's entrance. If the writers weren't cowards they would've served up an actual twist and redeemed Tai Lung as the next dragon warrior!!! His dialog and mini character arc were the only semi non-cliché parts of this movie

And yeah yeah kids movie, I'm taking it too seriously. But 1 and 2 are straight up my favorite movies and just so, so good. They weren't just kids movies, they were legitimately great for all ages. And didn't feel cheap or trite in the slightest. Guess they are fated to remain in a tier of their own
Now read this:

That was a really fascinating read. Informs a ton of how Kung Fu Panda 4 ended up the way it did. And just a very enlightening look behind the scenes at DreamWorks, and how animated movies get made in general. Thanks for sharing.

What did you think of the movie?
Haven't gotten to watch it yet. Hasn't released over here yet.

But yeah, explains a lot about the mixed reception.

One question, the quote in the thread title, how was it translated into other languages? And does the "pun" between present and gift work in your language?

I'm a Portuguese speaker and it worked very well here, since we use "presente" as gift perhaps even more than Americans.
No pun in the german version, wouldn't really work. They translate it with "And to witness the present is a gift"

What did you think of the movie?

I had a bit of fun. But I was very torn a bunch of it.

It's okay. It feels like a movie that would've immensely beneffited from more time to breath. Almost every idea is good here but they land... barely at best. Zhen's redemption arc is a bit fast (altho what is there is as well-written as it can be). While this movie doesn't have for the most part the tone whiplash issue of Kung Fu Panda 3, all three previous movies breath more and as such, have ideas that nail their landing in a better way.

Really, most problems I have with this can be boiled down to the pacing. it's a KFP movie that is 10 minutes shorter/denser than it should be. Some character stuff hit for me but not all.

DreamWorks can do better. DreamWorks has done better.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom